There was a group of us on the old board who would play chess online from time to time.   Some of the ones I remember were Houstonian, milk monitor, Hefeweizen, cutthecrackjack, the real mcquinn.  Are any of those chess players still around?  I stopped playing for awhile, but have picked it back up again this past year.  I play on lichess.org, which I like much better than chess.com.  If anyone out there wants to talk chess or play online, let me know.   

5 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:

Does it work on mobile?

Yes, lichess works on mobile.  You can play correspondence chess, timed variants including blitz, and they offer unlimited puzzles per day for free (you have to pay for unlimited puzzles on chess.com). You can do all of these things on PC or phone. 

On 5/14/2019 at 2:04 PM, ztejas said:

Good intro to the game for anyone unfamiliar:

that's funny. 

my nephew is learning chess.  i want to learn so i can play against him.  he's a sharp kid, so i'm sure i'll struggle at the beginning.  just wondering if it's gonna be super hard to pick up chess as an adult vs. learning young.  kinda like how learning a foreign language or to play piano is easier when you're a young sponge that can soak up everything.

Edited by Jive Turkey

I suck at chess, always have. I knew a guy who was rated at a low master level when he was in college. You might not think the chess life would be very exciting but some of the stories he told were pretty good. His dream job was to drive around the country in a van and set up a chess set wherever and challenge all comers for $10 a game. He even had a gimmick dreamed up - blue starred wizard hat and cape and the name "Ajax The Chess Sorcerer" emblazoned on the van. He was also known to sometimes cheat at the game.

On 2/21/2020 at 12:54 PM, Jive Turkey said:

that's funny. 

my nephew is learning chess.  i want to learn so i can play against him.  he's a sharp kid, so i'm sure i'll struggle at the beginning.  just wondering if it's gonna be super hard to pick up chess as an adult vs. learning young.  kinda like how learning a foreign language or to play piano is easier when you're a young sponge that can soak up everything.

I don't think it will be super hard to learn as an adult.  Most important qualities to learn are maintaining focus and enjoying the game even when you lose.  Many people get frustrated and throw in the towel.  Everyone, even the best players in the world, lose lots and lots of games.  Don't let loses and mistakes frustrate you; you can play as many games as you like and it costs you nothing.  

Chess is great for improving pretty much all mental activities (concentration, memory, problem solving, etc) for all age groups.   Good hobby to pick up at any age

My 4.5 year old is enjoying No Stress Chess. It comes with a deck of cards that dictate which piece each player must move, so it takes much (but not all) of the potential for decisional paralysis out of learning. It's pretty cheap on Amazon - $15 or so? And the flow and direction of the game means that it's more or less a toss up in terms of who will win, so kids will win often enough not to get discouraged. 

Something entertaining and educational to pass the time...

On 3/23/2020 at 4:06 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

My 4.5 year old is enjoying No Stress Chess. It comes with a deck of cards that dictate which piece each player must move, so it takes much (but not all) of the potential for decisional paralysis out of learning. It's pretty cheap on Amazon - $15 or so? And the flow and direction of the game means that it's more or less a toss up in terms of who will win, so kids will win often enough not to get discouraged. 

Something entertaining and educational to pass the time...

We bought no stress chess for our 9 yr old daughter. I've been playing with her, but she's starting to get tired of me saying "Mongo only pawn in game of life" every time I draw a pawn card.