Trade #1 Pick?? or Zion Removes Name from NBA Draft??

LTtxfan

WOW....... is this possible??

Will Zion remove his name from NBA Draft if New Orleans won't trade #1 pick??  (Might even try to play for The USA National Team for Gregg Popovich??)

May 14: NBA draft lottery

The 2019 draft lottery will be conducted on May 14, marking the first time that the NBA’s new lottery format will be used. The full odds under the new format can be found right here, while our reverse standings provide a glimpse at which the pre-lottery draft order will look like.

With the lottery odds flattened out, the NBA’s worst team will only have a 14% shot at the No. 1 overall pick, as opposed to the 25% chance it had in the past. In other words, the new format could make for a very interesting night on May 14.

May 15-19: NBA draft combine

This five-day event, which takes place in Chicago, allows NBA teams to get a first-hand look at many of this year’s top draft-eligible players (though perhaps not a handful of 2019’s very best prospects, since potential top-five picks don’t have much to gain by participating in the combine).

The combine will be particularly important for early entrants who have yet to decide whether or not to stay in the draft. The feedback they get at the combine could go a long way toward dictating whether they keep their names in the draft or return to school for another year.

May 29 (11:59pm): NCAA early entrant withdrawal deadline

College underclassmen who want to retain their NCAA eligibility will have to withdraw their names from the draft pool by May 29. NBA rules call for a later withdrawal deadline, but the NCAA has its own set of rules that say the deadline is 10 days after the combine.

As such, a college underclassmen could technically wait until the first week of June to withdraw from the draft and retain his NBA draft eligibility for a future year. However, he would forfeit his amateur status in that scenario, making him ineligible to return to his NCAA squad.

June 10: NBA early entrant withdrawal deadline

This is the NBA’s final deadline for early entrants to withdraw their names from the draft pool and retain their draft eligibility for a future year. By this point, we generally know whether an NCAA underclassman kept his name in the draft or not, but this is an important deadline for international players, who aren’t subject to the same restrictions as college players. We’ll likely hear about several international early entrants withdrawing from the draft during the days leading up to June 10.

June 20: NBA draft day

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/04/2019-nba-draft-dates-deadlines-to-watch.html

https://thebiglead.com/2019/05/15/what-if-zion-williamson-refuses-to-play-for-the-pelicans/

What If Zion Williamson Refuses to Play for the Pelicans? 

Would Williamson ever try to leverage his way out of New Orleans before he even gets there? There are no indications yet that he would, but the possibility is very interesting to discuss.

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Why go back to Duke? He should go get paid a shitload of money in Europe for a year if he doesn't want to play in New Orleans.

Yeah...... Europe seems like the better option than going back to Duke....

Would love to see Zion request a trade..... It would be fun watching the NBA Commissioner handling that mess......

Edited by LTtxfan

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

The Lakers, seizing upon Zion’s desire to force a trade to a bigger market, are now prepared to offer Brandon Ingram, Kyle Kuzma, AND a second round pick for AD and Zion.  Will the Pelicans be able to turn it down?

Have to include the Laker's #4 pick in 2019 Draft....

As stated in the other thread this is stupid ass speculation to sell a story.   There is zero chance he gives up 10s of millions in guaranteed money to go back to Duke and risk injury playing for free.  Stop

10 minutes ago, d2o said:

As stated in the other thread this is stupid ass speculation to sell a story.   There is zero chance he gives up 10s of millions in guaranteed money to go back to Duke and risk injury playing for free.  Stop

maybe he'll transfer to Texas 

8 minutes ago, d2o said:

Maybe he'll go to Europe..... Could re-enter NBA Draft in 2020??

Try to play for USA National Team, and Nike still might love to sign him??

Just hate to see Zion in a pelican uniform....

giphy.gif

9 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Zion is draft eligible a team would retain his rights if he went to Europe . If this NCAA payment thing passes he could get a shoe deal and go back to Duke

It's not going to happen but he has until June 10th to withdraw his name from the NBA draft if he would rather go to Europe.

14 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Zion is draft eligible a team would retain his rights if he went to Europe . If this NCAA payment thing passes he could get a shoe deal and go back to Duke

If he withdraws name from 2019 draft, no NBA team will own his rights.... 

Pelicans could be forced to trade pick, or lose out on Zion's value should he withdraw from 2019 Draft.... unless NBA Commissioner can find a loophole to stop this from happening

Edited by LTtxfan

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

If he withdraws name from 2019 draft, no NBA team will own his rights.... 

Early Entry Players – Draft Rights

Draft Rights for Early Entry players[3] are a little different from Draft Rights for other draft eligible players. For teams, things remain mostly the same – they gain Draft Rights the same way and the Required Tender requirements are the same. The only difference is how long the player’s drafting team holds his Draft Rights. Unlike other players whose Draft Rights are kept for one full year, Early Entry players are bound by their drafting teams until one year after the first NBA Draft they could have entered as non-Early Entry players. For example, Ben Simmons declared for the 2016 NBA Draft after his freshman season, making him an Early Entry player. Whichever team drafts Simmons will hold his Draft Rights until the 2020 NBA Draft, one year after the first draft Simmons could have entered as a non-Early Entry player (2019 NBA Draft). [4] As such, the consequences of an Early Entry player not signing a player contract are much more severe than for non-Early Entry players.

These rules for Early Entry players apply even if the player signs a contract overseas and attempts to be considered under International/Eurostash player rules (explained below). There is no loophole for Early Entry players to shorten their drafting team’s Draft Rights period.

7 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Early Entry Players – Draft Rights

Draft Rights for Early Entry players[3] are a little different from Draft Rights for other draft eligible players. For teams, things remain mostly the same – they gain Draft Rights the same way and the Required Tender requirements are the same. The only difference is how long the player’s drafting team holds his Draft Rights. Unlike other players whose Draft Rights are kept for one full year, Early Entry players are bound by their drafting teams until one year after the first NBA Draft they could have entered as non-Early Entry players. For example, Ben Simmons declared for the 2016 NBA Draft after his freshman season, making him an Early Entry player. Whichever team drafts Simmons will hold his Draft Rights until the 2020 NBA Draft, one year after the first draft Simmons could have entered as a non-Early Entry player (2019 NBA Draft). [4] As such, the consequences of an Early Entry player not signing a player contract are much more severe than for non-Early Entry players.

These rules for Early Entry players apply even if the player signs a contract overseas and attempts to be considered under International/Eurostash player rules (explained below). There is no loophole for Early Entry players to shorten their drafting team’s Draft Rights period.

You seem to be confused. If he withdraws his name from the draft by June 10th then he can't be drafted. If he's not drafted then there's no such thing as a drafting team. No drafting team means no draft rights.

Also, while I'm not sure a player would ever do this, I think if the possibility is discussed often enough the NBA will move one or both so that the lottery happens after the withdrawal deadline.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Dude, 

You seem to be confused. If he withdraws his name from the draft by June 10th then he can't be drafted. If he's not drafted then there's no such thing as a drafting team. No drafting team means no draft rights.

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan

14 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Also, while I'm not sure a player would ever do this, I think if the possibility is discussed often enough the NBA will move one or both so that the lottery happens after the withdrawal deadline.

The only way to withdraw your name is to go back to school, you cannot be ineligible by playing in Europe

Wonder what teams Zion is willing to play for that New Orleans could trade with and get enough value back??

Philly  (Ben Simmons played for LSU)

Boston  (Lots of young players and Celtics have 3 2019 1st Rd Draft picks )

Lakers. (Lots of young players and #4 pick in 2019 Draft)

Any other Teams??

11 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

The only way to withdraw your name is to go back to school, you cannot be ineligible by playing in Europe

I don't think this is true, although there is hardly precedent for it. From the CBA: 

(b) A player shall be eligible for selection in the first NBA Draft with respect to which he has satisfied all applicable requirements of Section 1(b)(i) below and one of the requirements of Section 1(b)(ii) below:

(E) The player has signed a player contract with a “professional basketball team not in the NBA” (defined below) that is located anywhere in the world, and has rendered services under such contract prior to the January 1 immediately preceding such Draft; 

So if Zion withdraws before the deadline in "late May" and then signs with a Euro team, he would be able to dodge the 2019 draft but not the 2020 draft. 

But, he isn't going to do this, because:

1. Money

2. Money

3. Money

4. There's no guarantee a shitty franchise wouldn't get the 2020 #1 pick anyway

2 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Man, I’d love to see Zion go back to college or avoid the pelicans by going to Europe. Then show the Pelicans front office reaction video like they did last night. 

If NO loses both AD and Zion, the NBA should move the franchise out of the city. Just no point in it being there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Why go back to Duke? He should go get paid a shitload of money in Europe for a year if he doesn't want to play in New Orleans.

Also, you need to learn a few things. This post wasn't that bad, but still.

1. Ellipses have three dots. Three. Exactly three. You look like a teenage girl when you use them like this...... because it's annoying.
2. One question mark is sufficient. One. Exactly one. You look like a teenage girl when you use more than that. It's annoying.
3. The Bobs should take away your bold button until you get over it. Half your posts are half bold. For fuck's sake.

Carry on.

?????

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

The Lakers, seizing upon Zion’s desire to force a trade to a bigger market, are now prepared to offer Brandon Ingram, Kyle Kuzma, AND a second round pick for AD and Zion.  Will the Pelicans be able to turn it down?

Kuzma and Ingram for AD and Zion?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

Yeah I dont think that is true.   If so, any and every player in Europe would "draftable" regardless of if they enter their name in the draft or not.   

21 minutes ago, d2o said:

Yeah I dont think that is true.   If so, any and every player in Europe would "draftable" regardless of if they enter their name in the draft or not.   

It isn't true for the reason I posted above. Any and every player in Europe or playing professionally elsewhere is absolutely draftable. That doesn't force those players to sign with an NBA team but it gives NBA teams their rights and lets them offer NBA contracts exclusively. 

But, to be eligible, they had to have been playing for the team professionally before Jan 1st of the current draft year. So Zion could potentially be exempt from the 2019 draft and play a season in Europe if he felt inclined to. 

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It isn't true for the reason I posted above. Any and every player in Europe or playing professionally elsewhere is absolutely draftable. That doesn't force those players to sign with an NBA team but it gives NBA teams their rights and lets them offer NBA contracts exclusively. 

But, to be eligible, they had to have been playing for the team professionally before Jan 1st of the current draft year. So Zion could potentially be exempt from the 2019 draft and play a season in Europe if he felt inclined to. 

Luka was under contract in Europe before his 16th bday and still had to declare for the draft last year.

11 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Luka was under contract in Europe before his 16th bday and still had to declare for the draft last year.

Good point and it's kind of murky. I'm not sure if he had to declare or not - trying to skim the CBA but it isn't exactly clear on Early Entry international players like Luka. I know the Twolves drafted Rubio while he was still under contract and the ensuing process was kind of messy - so Luka may have declared as a gesture to tell Barcelona as well as NBA teams that he intended to play in the NBA immediately after being drafted. 

Regardless, Zion isn't an international player so it doesn't matter in his case. 

4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Also, you need to learn a few things. This post wasn't that bad, but still.

1. Ellipses have three dots. Three. Exactly three. You look like a teenage girl when you use them like this...... because it's annoying.
2. One question mark is sufficient. One. Exactly one. You look like a teenage girl when you use more than that. It's annoying.
3. The Bobs should take away your bold button until you get over it. Half your posts are half bold. For fuck's sake.

Carry on.

.....?!?!?!??!? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Good point and it's kind of murky. I'm not sure if he had to declare or not - trying to skim the CBA but it isn't exactly clear on Early Entry international players like Luka. I know the Twolves drafted Rubio while he was still under contract and the ensuing process was kind of messy - so Luka may have declared as a gesture to tell Barcelona as well as NBA teams that he intended to play in the NBA immediately after being drafted. 

Regardless, Zion isn't an international player so it doesn't matter in his case. 

Euro players have to declare as well.

Only exceptions:

For an international player to be considered automatically eligible:

• They are at least 22 during the calendar year of the draft; or
  • They have signed a contract with a professional team outside the NBA but within the USA, and have played under the contract.

Younger Euro prospects (like Luka) have to declare.

(2) Early entry player:

In the USA, it is very common for athletes to play at college level for one year and then (upon turning 19 and being one year removed from high school) enter the NBA Draft. This is known as the ‘one and done’. Many prospects choose this route before becoming a professional player in the NBA as they are not automatically eligible. These athletes must declare their eligibility no later than 60 days before the Draft and it must be accepted by the NBA.

(3) International players:

For a player to fall under this category, they must meet all of the following criteria:

• Permanently reside outside of the USA for at least three years before the draft;
  • Have never enrolled in a US college or university; and
  • Did not compete in high school in the US.
Edited by d2o

5 minutes ago, d2o said:

Euro players have to declare as well.

You're right - my mistake. 

But no Euro/international player isn't going to fill out the paperwork if an NBA team calls them before the draft. Most of them are going to declare every year anyway. I don't think a team would ever run into the issue of wanting to select someone that didn't declare. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Yeah...  fuck that shit.  

Haha lemme rephrase what I meant. I hope he threatens to do that, forcing NO to trade that pick. If that doesn’t work, THEN go back to college for another year. But I feel like if he just outright came out and said “I’m not playing for NO.” It would almost force their hand, unless they’re cool with Ja Morant. 

4 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Haha lemme rephrase what I meant. I hope he threatens to do that, forcing NO to trade that pick. If that doesn’t work, THEN go back to college for another year. But I feel like if he just outright came out and said “I’m not playing for NO.” It would almost force their hand, unless they’re cool with Ja Morant. 

Feels like an Elway/Eli moment for the NBA...... just wonder if Zion has the stomach for some of the hate that would come along with not going to New Orleans?

If Zion does say trade the #1 pick or I'm withdrawing from the Draft.... it's probably best for Zion to go to an eastern conference team so he only plays in New Orleans once a year during the regular season.

19 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

whys every acting like new orleans = somalia.  from a living perspective its not on the bottom half of the nba, and neither is the team. 

i mean, it aint cleveland

Yeah, I don't get it either. NOLA is a fun town, ought to be great for any sports star who likes to have fun. 

There's speculation that the media reaction to it all was due to them being LA and NY fans hoping he goes to a big market team. Neither one of them got the #1 pick, so they are all upset about it. They fired Demps and David Griffin is now the GM, so there's plenty of reason to believe NOLA will get better with or without AD. 

5 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

As a Laker fan, I would reluctantly agree to this trade.

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Like 400k, 1M metro off the top of my head. 

Easily one of the smallest cities in the NBA. 

yeah, just looked it up and that's pretty much correct. that's indeed a very small market. 

Edited by Goo Punch