Trade #1 Pick?? or Zion Removes Name from NBA Draft??

LTtxfan

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

whys every acting like new orleans = somalia.  from a living perspective its not on the bottom half of the nba, and neither is the team. 

i mean, it aint cleveland

Especially when you're rich.    Zion is a small town country kid.   Aint nothing wrong with NO for him.

37 minutes ago, d2o said:

Especially when you're rich.    Zion is a small town country kid.   Aint nothing wrong with NO for him.

Did you watch last night though? He didn’t look happy at all. Maybe it’s just because he hadn’t mentally prepared himself for NO being a real possibility, but either way, he looked like he was pretty frustrated with the outcome 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

4 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

How about they just keep the pick and draft Zion.  Seems like the best course of action for everyone involved.

Except Zion.  I'm kidding...sort of...

The draft could not have turned out worse for him - a shit organization that makes the cavs look like the Spurs and located in a horrific basketball market and is the quintessential nice place to visit but wouldn't want to live there.

28 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

So he could opt to go to Europe and making a killing in a city like Amsterdam while simultaneously slaying Dutch tail?

Might be ok for awhile......

Valerie Van Der Graaf

Beautiful-Dutch-Girl-Valerie-Van-Der-Graaf

Valerie van der Graaf is a Dutch model famous for her work with Vogue, Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue and Playboy. The blue-eyed hot bombshell is well-known for hot photoshoots. Apart from being one of the most beautiful Dutch girls, she is one of the hottest models from the Netherlands. Valerie was the Playboy Playmate of the Month for August 2016.

43 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Did you watch last night though? He didn’t look happy at all. Maybe it’s just because he hadn’t mentally prepared himself for NO being a real possibility, but either way, he looked like he was pretty frustrated with the outcome 

he's been told he was going to NYC for the last few weeks.   In the moment I'm sure he was disappointed.    All the more reason that the kids dont need to be at the lottery.

38 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Except Zion.  I'm kidding...sort of...

The draft could not have turned out worse for him - a shit organization that makes the cavs look like the Spurs and located in a horrific basketball market and is the quintessential nice place to visit but wouldn't want to live there.

He will be rich, he only has to be there 6 mos if its that much of an issue.   And NO just hired Griffin who reportedly has been given quite a bit of autonomy.   I'd be willing to give them a little leeway to see if they improve as an org.

3 minutes ago, d2o said:

he's been told he was going to NYC for the last few weeks.   In the moment I'm sure he was disappointed.    All the more reason that the kids dont need to be at the lottery.

I think he would’ve been happy with anyone (out of last nights 14 teams) except for Memphis and NO, in that order. Nobody in that town gives a shit about the Pelicans and they’ve had a superstar caliber player for a while now. If I’m not mistaken, the saints owner is the Pelicans owner as well. I’m sure he cares about both teams, but I’d imagine he cares a lot more about the saints, just like everyone else in that town.

New Orleans could probably get good value for the pick as long as Zion stays. If he goes to Europe or back to school, the #1 pick basically becomes the #2 pick. I would see what Memphis would give up to trade down.

How bout this for a crazy trade: Lakers trade LeBron for the #1 pick. New Orleans gets one chance for a title and maybe AD even comes back. Holiday, Moore, LeBron, AD, Randal is a better team than Bron ever had in Cleveland. With that trade they become the focal point of the NBA for at least a year.

On the flip side, Lakers get the best young building block since AD and get rid of the Bron circus.

1 minute ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I think he would’ve been happy with anyone (out of last nights 14 teams) except for Memphis and NO, in that order. Nobody in that town gives a shit about the Pelicans and they’ve had a superstar caliber player for a while now. If I’m not mistaken, the saints owner is the Pelicans owner as well. I’m sure he cares about both teams, but I’d imagine he cares a lot more about the saints, just like everyone else in that town.

Think the Saints and Pelicans owner is a woman.....

giphy.gif

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

So if Zion withdraws before the deadline in "late May" and then signs with a Euro team, he would be able to dodge the 2019 draft but not the 2020 draft. 

But, he isn't going to do this, because:

1. Money

2. Money

3. Money

4. There's no guarantee a shitty franchise wouldn't get the 2020 #1 pick anyway

It's a bit murky but according to this article in the ringer today

If Williamson were to withdraw from the draft, he could also play professionally overseas and be drafted by a different team in 2020. 

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nba/2019/5/15/18626646/zion-williamson-nba-draft-new-orleans-pelicans-player-power

As to point 4, it's certainly possible NO could win the #1 pick next season as well. The Cavs drafted #1 three times during the 2011-2014 stretch. 

15 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

What's w/all the negative waves directed toward NOLA Pelicans ? 

In a lot of ways, Anthony Davis was Zion before Zion. A generational talent who doesn’t appear to be a diva. In fact, maybe I’m not remembering this correctly, but I think Anthony Davis was considered the better prospect of the two. And they had 7 years, and not only did they not surround him with any talent, but he has no faith in the organization. Even after getting the pick, he still wants out. I know they have David Griffin now, but are we really putting any stock into that? I’m not saying we shouldn’t be, I'm asking.

Then when you look at some of the teams that had the best odds (NY, Chicago, Phoenix) you’d much rather live in one of those cities as a professional athlete IMO. I’m biased because I live in Tempe, but winters here are amazing. And, as a professional athlete, it doesn’t get much better than living in Scottsdale.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

1 minute ago, Nolacycling said:

I was looking at this as more of a Manning thing?  If the world will allow it, then let it be. I'm drinking.

Nola just needs a bidding war for the 1st pick between Philly, Boston, Brooklyn, Chicago, and maybe the Knicks....

35 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Just curious what determines the “media market size”? I noticed dallas is ahead of Houston and Houston quite a bit bigger than dallas. Only wondering since New Orleans population was the reason they are dead last. I’m sure there is more criteria involved.

Just a guess, but Dallas gets to count Ft. Worth and the surrounding areas, as well as the insane growth taking place in Collin/Denton counties.

Yea I guess if that is apart of it. Houston has 2.3 mill to Dallas 1.3 mill, San Antonio has 1.5 mill and even if you add ft worth that would make dallas 2.1 mill that’s why I assumed there was other criteria involved in the “media coverage” for the nba and not just population.

29 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

If you’re far and away the best player in the draft, what’s to stop you from negotiating a free agent contract with the team of your choosing and skipping the draft entirely?

The NBA?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

If you’re far and away the best player in the draft, what’s to stop you from negotiating a free agent contract with the team of your choosing and skipping the draft entirely?

picard-facepalm.jpg

12 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Just curious what determines the “media market size”? I noticed dallas is ahead of Houston and Houston quite a bit bigger than dallas. Only wondering since New Orleans population was the reason they are dead last. I’m sure there is more criteria involved.

It's the entire metro area.   For instance.  Memphis and Detroit are both about the same size.   Around 650k in the city proper.     Metro Memphis is about 1.3M while Metro Detroit is 4.5M. 

I don't think he's going back to Duke.  If he does, he gains nothing and starts the entire thing over next year, and there's no guarantee again that he'll get any closer.

The Pelicans don't seem to be interested in trading half of New Orleans to give another team the slot, but I wonder if the two would agree on say a shorter term contract (i.e. 1-2 years).  I can see Williamson benefiting from this a lot - he'll be in a market where he can learn, get better, and get experience without the ruthless criticism/nitpicking of a big media market.  Then after he gets his sea legs, he can go to wherever for lots more money.  The same thing sorta worked for Shaq (and for that matter Jabbar).  Go to a smaller market, get good, don't worry about ruthless local media, then go where you want in 1-2 years. I just don't know how eager the Pelicans would be to sign him in less than a 5-year deal.

Withdraw from the draft

If Williamson doesn’t want to play in New Orleans but also doesn’t want to spend another year of unpaid basketball, he doesn’t have to.  He can withdraw from the NBA Draft altogether before the June 10 deadline and dedicate the next year to training, playing for Team USA basketball or even explore options overseas.

Then, when the 2020 NBA Draft lottery arrives, he’ll have another shot at landing with a desired franchise. Still, there’s no guarantee that a more desirable city would land next year’s No. 1 pick. It could be New Orleans again, which would be hilarious.

As interesting as the idea would be, it’s not worth sacrificing a year of an NBA career for something so unknown. At the very least, this possibility could be used to leverage a trade — just that leverage disappears once the June 10 deadline passes. Unless something absolutely absurd unfolds, Zion Williamson will be in New Orleans next season. Sorry, Knicks fans...

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/05/zion-williamson-pelicans-trade-options-duke-draft-lottery-new-orleans-nba

Edited by LTtxfan

17 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

I don't think he's going back to Duke.  If he does, he gains nothing and starts the entire thing over next year, and there's no guarantee again that he'll get any closer.

The Pelicans don't seem to be interested in trading half of New Orleans to give another team the slot, but I wonder if the two would agree on say a shorter term contract (i.e. 1-2 years).  I can see Williamson benefiting from this a lot - he'll be in a market where he can learn, get better, and get experience without the ruthless criticism/nitpicking of a big media market.  Then after he gets his sea legs, he can go to wherever for lots more money.  The same thing sorta worked for Shaq (and for that matter Jabbar).  Go to a smaller market, get good, don't worry about ruthless local media, then go where you want in 1-2 years. I just don't know how eager the Pelicans would be to sign him in less than a 5-year deal.

I dont believe that is an option.   The rookie pay scale calls for a 4 yr contract with the last two yrs being team option yrs.    That is part of the CBA.   He cannot negotiate a different deal.

5 minutes ago, boknowstecmo said:

So, Zion put all his hopes into something that had a 14% chance of occurring, and then became upset when it didn't happen?

I cannot say this enough.   He has not said a thing about not wanting to go to NO.  This is all wild ass media speculation cause NYC didnt win the lottery.

2 minutes ago, d2o said:

I dont believe that is an option.   The rookie pay scale calls for a 4 yr contract with the last two yrs being team option yrs.    That is part of the CBA.   He cannot negotiate a different deal.

Yeah, figured something like that... but he might still get that contract and work on the option years... and I don't see a problem with NOLA either... but you know eventually he'll go to a Big House somewhere... they always do...

Edited by phdhorn

1 minute ago, phdhorn said:

Yeah, figured something like that... but he might still get that contract and work on the option years...

They are team option years.   NOT ONE SINGLE CHANCE they budge on having him on a cost controlled deal.   If they draft him they will have him for 4 yrs and more likely 7 when they offer him a huge extension that no one else can.    He will be an unrestricted FA at 26 with about 200M+ in his pocket and just hitting his prime.  

Edited by d2o

13 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

it's nielsen's map:

1920px-United_States_Designated_Market_A

By 7.11brown - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=33183158

the houston media market doesn't cover as much area as the dallas one. 

5 minutes ago, d2o said:

They are team option years.   NOT ONE SINGLE CHANCE they budge on having him on a cost controlled deal.

Yes but that's just it... contracts can always be re-negotiated... and have been with the team option.

Edited by phdhorn

6 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Yes but that's just it... contracts can always be re-negotiated... and if he doesn't like the salary offer, he can go free agent.

You seem to not understand how the system works.

Here is the rookie scale:

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/info/rookie_scale

That's it.   There is no negotiation or re-negotiation after the contract is signed.

Edited by d2o

8 minutes ago, d2o said:

They are team option years.   NOT ONE SINGLE CHANCE they budge on having him on a cost controlled deal.   If they draft him they will have him for 4 yrs and more likely 7 when they offer him a huge extension that no one else can.    He will be an unrestricted FA at 26 with about 200M+ in his pocket and just hitting his prime.  

Seems like shoe and marketing 💰💰💰 would allow Zion to leave Nola after just 4yrs??

Just now, LTtxfan said:

Seems like shoe and marketing 💰💰💰 would allow Zion to leave Nola after just 4yrs??

Possible but there hasn't been a player that was offered an extension on his rookie deal that has passed that I'm aware of.   If that was the case LBJ would have dipped out of CLE after 4 yrs.   He was making HUGE shoe money from before he even officially signed his rookie NBA contract.

1 minute ago, d2o said:

Possible but there hasn't been a player that was offered an extension on his rookie deal that has passed that I'm aware of.   If that was the case LBJ would have dipped out of CLE after 4 yrs.   He was making HUGE shoe money from before he even officially signed his rookie NBA contract.

But LeBron liked Cleveland....

6 minutes ago, d2o said:

You seem to not understand how the system works.

Here is the rookie scale:

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/info/rookie_scale

That's it.   There is no negotiation or re-negotiation after the contract is signed.

You seem to be talking simply about his contract within NOLA.  But "how the system works" includes "buyout option."  This of course is used all the time to break contracts.  Yes the team has the power and not the player, but often these are mutually agreeable.  Let's say Zion does okay but in 2 years NOLA thinks they can get a better fit with some players or draft choices.  Would they trade Williamson in some mega deal if he does well?  It's possible.  If he ends up not meeting expectations/gets injured too much?  It's more than possible.

Any contract is voidable.  Including this one.  Not saying it'll happen, but yeah, it could, and it does.  A lot.  No matter what the long terms are.