Baytown Cop kills Pregnant Woman

Neonmoon

3 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

um, so why do they have to break down the door, guns drawn? that seems like a good way to get someone killed.

Which is a great reason why, if you decide that she needs to be arrested Do it right there in the hallway of the apartment complex instead of letting her get to her apartment. 

6 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I'm not sure why they would need to even break down the doors. 

You keeping proposing how mentally ill and  potentially incapacitated she might have been but you think she was going to end up being reasonable and going with them willingly after some convincing?  Maybe but I’d doubt it. 

Edited by Lhorn

I am guessing the cop knew all about her.  It's not like he ran her plate.  He recognized her and evidently knew she had warrants, and probably that she was more than a little off.

QED running up on her in the dark of night might not have been the best strategy to effect an arrest without incident.

This is kind of my uniform field theory of the law enforcement problem:  they all think they're doing some form of God's work taking "dangerous" people off the streets and never for a moment considering who is the real danger.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I am guessing the cop knew all about her.  It's not like he ran her plate.  He recognized her and evidently knew she had warrants, and probably that she was more than a little off.

QED running up on her in the dark of night might not have been the best strategy to effect an arrest without incident.

This is kind of my uniform field theory of the law enforcement problem:  they all think they're doing some form of God's work taking "dangerous" people off the streets and never for a moment considering who is the real danger.

this is a very reasonable take. he KNEW her. he knew ABOUT her. and yet...he had to go...

26 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

Crazy bitch got hat she deserved. 

full cabowabo. 

This is one of those cases where the shoot is justifiable once the cop engaged her.  But the broader question and one we probably ought to ask more often is should the cop have engaged her at alll?

On the one hand, the warrants provide ample legal justification for the arrest. On the other, the same knowledge on the part of the cop (her legal history) probably indicates that this was a less than ideal circumstance to arrest this individual. 

Tragic but interesting case. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

This is one of those cases where the shoot is justifiable once the cop engaged her.  But the broader question and one we probably ought to ask more often is should the cop have engaged her at alll?

On the one hand, the warrants provide ample legal justification for the arrest. On the other, the same knowledge on the part of the cop (her legal history) probably indicates that this was a less than ideal circumstance to arrest this individual. 

this is the conversation we need to be having. how do we address suspects?

I don’t have a problem with the cop going in for an arrest, it’s clear he knew she was wanted. Not like she was wielding a weapon or danger to anyone, perfect time to make the arrest. I have a problem with the way he acted like billy badass and got close for a confrontation. Shoulda ID’d himself, told her to get down and all will be okay, if she doesn’t and comes close tase and cuff. This dude was incompetent taking her into custody and got into a bitch fight. Shooting her was unnecessary and disturbing when he could of easily just whooped ass gotten her into cuffs.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well then who the hell is supposed to engage her then? We just let her roam the streets freely?  I doubt she has any family that gives a shit about her.  Tough deal, but if you tase or attempt to tase a cop you’re fair game. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Augustus said:

I can't help but think it's a bad idea to wrestle a taser gun away from a police officer and use it on him, as he's attempting to arrest you.

"Don't tase me, pig!" 

I can't believe anybody is arguing that the cop shouldn't have tried to arrest her THEN because he had to have known she had mental health issues.

Ok. Let's assume that he knows she is schizo, and that she has a history of violence (previous interactions or arrests). He also knows she has warrants, but he sees that she is having an episode ("I'm pregnant!") and lets her go home without arresting her then.

Everybody happy so far?

And then she ends up seriously hurting or killing someone at her home - just like the 22-yr-old guy recently who had a mental breakdown and was released with medication to his mother but then cut off her head with a hacksaw.

( http://www.fox4news.com/news/denton-man-allegedly-decapitated-mom-with-hacksaw )

All of you would be complaining about the cop not doing his job and arresting her instead of letting her go.

Yes, he probably could have handled it much better and either maintained control or gotten backup before attempting to cuff her, but once the incident got out of control it was pretty much fated to end that way.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Modessit said:

I can't believe anybody is arguing that the cop shouldn't have tried to arrest her THEN because he had to have known she had mental health issues.

Ok. Let's assume that he knows she is schizo, and that she has a history of violence (previous interactions or arrests). He also knows she has warrants, but he sees that she is having an episode ("I'm pregnant!") and lets her go home without arresting her then.

Everybody happy so far?

And then she ends up seriously hurting or killing someone at her home - just like the 22-yr-old guy recently who had a mental breakdown and was released with medication to his mother but then cut off her head with a hacksaw.

( http://www.fox4news.com/news/denton-man-allegedly-decapitated-mom-with-hacksaw )

All of you would be complaining about the cop not doing his job and arresting her instead of letting her go.

Yes, he probably could have handled it much better and either maintained control or gotten backup before attempting to cuff her, but once the incident got out of control it was pretty much fated to end that way.

You nailed it. It was a bad situation. The cop had to arrest her. It could have gone better, but once it escalated it was doomed. 

I should have added "how" he engaged her in addition to "when."  It was certainly on my mind.  Cops have a general tendency to go "no-knock" or "SWAT" regardless of the appropriateness of that approach.

The cop on the seat belt stop is a great example of not doing that.  The gal that rolled up and blasted the dude is a pretty good example of doing just that.

On 5/15/2019 at 11:24 PM, TwiceHorn said:

On 5/15/2019 at 11:29 PM, hayden_horn said:

this is the conversation we need to be having. how do we address suspects?

This.  I think most of us will agree that ONCE THE ENGAGEMENT WAS ON, the shoot is very likely justifiable.  Now that THAT'S settled, the engagement question is the one to address.

12 hours ago, Modessit said:

Everybody happy so far?

There's something in between your scenarios of "let her go home" and "take her on here and now."  And you allude to it in your last sentence.  Maintain distance.  Keep talking to her. Get some backup.  

Shit, I remember 30 years ago, at the MLK and 26th Jack in the Box getting my 2 for 99 cent tacos on (drunk) when some (drunker) dude walks up to me and my buddies and tells me to step outside, he's gonna kick my ass.  Long story short, I didn't much feel like the buzzkill of a 3:00 a.m. parking lot fight, so I talked the guy down.  I just kept talking, till he decided he didn't want to fight anymore.  I didn't say anything magical, I just wore him down.  And that's not exactly a secret ninja technique.  It's a commonly-used tactic when dealing with an irrational/unbalanced person.  Some training in "how to deal with a mentally ill person in a way that both protects you and third parties AND avoids the likelihood of physical harm to the mentally ill person" would be good.

12 hours ago, Modessit said:

Btw - I heard on the radio that while she did get the taser, she did not fire it.

From what I understand, the whole taser issue is a red herring.  It deploys the probes into the target, then administers the charge.  Once that's been done, it can't just be fired again.  So even if she got a hold of it, it didn't matter -- it was functionally inert.

If the cops let a known mentally ill person with warrants go lock herself in the apartment then she killed 4 babies due to her mental illness,  every last one of you blaming the cops now would blame the cops for not doing something about it when they could have. It's a shame she got herself killed, but that's what happened 

Edited by Dennis Taylor

2 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

If the cops let a known mentally ill person go lock herself in the apartment then she killed 4 babies due to her mental illness,  every last one of you blaming the cops now would blame the cops for not doing something about it when they could have. It's a shame she got herself killed, but that's what happened 

Nah, but they'd all be screaming for the death penalty.

17 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  I think most of us will agree that ONCE THE ENGAGEMENT WAS ON, the shoot is very likely justifiable.  Now that THAT'S settled, the engagement question is the one to address.

There's something in between your scenarios of "let her go home" and "take her on here and now."  And you allude to it in your last sentence.  Maintain distance.  Keep talking to her. Get some backup.  

Shit, I remember 30 years ago, at the MLK and 26th Jack in the Box getting my 2 for 99 cent tacos on (drunk) when some (drunker) dude walks up to me and my buddies and tells me to step outside, he's gonna kick my ass.  Long story short, I didn't much feel like the buzzkill of a 3:00 a.m. parking lot fight, so I talked the guy down.  I just kept talking, till he decided he didn't want to fight anymore.  I didn't say anything magical, I just wore him down.  And that's not exactly a secret ninja technique.  It's a commonly-used tactic when dealing with an irrational/unbalanced person.  Some training in "how to deal with a mentally ill person in a way that both protects you and third parties AND avoids the likelihood of physical harm to the mentally ill person" would be good.

From what I understand, the whole taser issue is a red herring.  It deploys the probes into the target, then administers the charge.  Once that's been done, it can't just be fired again.  So even if she got a hold of it, it didn't matter -- it was functionally inert.

Taser makes multi shot units.  

Even that doesn't always work. Did you see the bodycam footage of that officer who shot that 17-yr-old girl who had a butcher knife? He probably backed up a block or two away from his car trying to get her to drop the knife and finally had to shoot when she started moving quickly towards him. Luckily she didn't die, but she could have.

And before anyone tries to point out this person didn't have a knife, I wish people would stop saying that someone was unarmed like that equals "not dangerous". You may never know if that 142-lb woman has a black belt or is an MMA fighter. Or if a lucky swing will knock someone down and they hit their head on the concrete and die. I saw a story in the past few months of a female jogger beating the shit out of a guy who attacked her. Don't take anything for granted.

there simply is many other outcomes that should have played out before this chick was kilt.

first of all--- fuck warrants, seems like this is a way to control a sect of society. just my .02 after several episodes of livepd(so obviously an expert). most folks do the worst things and compound their issues because, warrants.

if you have a warrant because of murder, rape, child diddling, robbery, agg assault, etc...you need to get picked up. you have traffic, drug, dum shit warrants. 1. make the fines affordable by those who are getting them. making someone pay $1500+ which could be more than their monthly income is just stupid. pay your warrant or feed, cloth, take your ass to work...obvi choice is to roll the dice.

yeah i get blah blah blah...but seriously there is too much technology do be doing this archaic shit.

Edited by riloh05
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Modessit said:

Even that doesn't always work. Did you see the bodycam footage of that officer who shot that 17-yr-old girl who had a butcher knife? He probably backed up a block or two away from his car trying to get her to drop the knife and finally had to shoot when she started moving quickly towards him. Luckily she didn't die, but she could have.

And before anyone tries to point out this person didn't have a knife, I wish people would stop saying that someone was unarmed like that equals "not dangerous". You may never know if that 142-lb woman has a black belt or is an MMA fighter. Or if a lucky swing will knock someone down and they hit their head on the concrete and die. I saw a story in the past few months of a female jogger beating the shit out of a guy who attacked her. Don't take anything for granted.

So we're supposed to treat cops like heroes but they don't have to act like heroes, just like any other scared citizen.

I'm fine with treating them just like any other scared citizen, but are you fine with not treating them like heroes?

So we're supposed to treat cops like heroes but they don't have to act like heroes, just like any other scared citizen.
I'm fine with treating them just like any other scared citizen, but are you fine with not treating them like heroes?
I don't treat cops like heroes. I just don't automatically assume they are villains like many who post in this and other threads.

14 hours ago, Modessit said:

That woman could have known karate! Why would a police officer with a billy club, a taser, and theoretically trained in hand-to-hand combat use any of those measures to subdue and arrest a woman when he could just fucking shoot her?

That woman could have known karate! Why would a police officer with a billy club, a taser, and theoretically trained in hand-to-hand combat use any of those measures to subdue and arrest a woman when he could just fucking shoot her?
Your sarcasm is noted, but I wouldn't say cops are trained in H2H combat to the extent they could take on someone who has been studying material arts or fighting for years. And your other options are not really options once fists start flying. It's like a Choose Your Own Adventure book. All the bad choices before resulted in the ending we got. It's easy to complain about step #2 because we didn't like step #36, but that Step #36 is pretty much the only thing that can happen once you get to a certain Step #34. Whether or not Step #36 is criminal or justified is dependent on whether or not all the previous steps followed procedure and law - and I don't know what procedures in Baytown stipulate. We all know not every police department follows the exact same set of rules across the nation.

6 minutes ago, Modessit said:
34 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Your sarcasm is noted, but I wouldn't say cops are trained in H2H combat to the extent they could take on someone who has been studying material arts or fighting for years. And your other options are not really options once fists start flying. It's like a Choose Your Own Adventure book. All the bad choices before resulted in the ending we got. It's easy to complain about step #2 because we didn't like step #36, but that Step #36 is pretty much the only thing that can happen once you get to a certain Step #34. Whether or not Step #36 is criminal or justified is dependent on whether or not all the previous steps followed procedure and law - and I don't know what procedures in Baytown stipulate. We all know not every police department follows the exact same set of rules across the nation.

I'm not sure what the fuck you're going on about with this Choose Your Own Adventure nonsense.   

But here's the deal - we are talking about a 120ish lb crazy woman. The cop should have been able to subdue her without shooting her. That's really what this comes down to. Was it "justified"? Yeah, probably. I mean, we know with absolute certainty he ain't gonna be indicted. But you seem to want to absolve the officer of all culpability by coming back to this "You may never know if that 142-lb woman has a black belt or is an MMA fighter." Which is just utter horseshit. The mere possibility that someone may be a highly-trained fighter is not grounds to shoot everyone that resists arrest or engages a cop in a physical struggle. If your first course of action is "shoot" rather than "fight" you're too pussy to be a cop. 

I'm not sure what the fuck you're going on about with this Choose Your Own Adventure nonsense.   
But here's the deal - we are talking about a 120ish lb crazy woman. The cop should have been able to subdue her without shooting her. That's really what this comes down to. Was it "justified"? Yeah, probably. I mean, we know with absolute certainty he ain't gonna be indicted. But you seem to want to absolve the officer of all culpability by coming back to this "You may never know if that 142-lb woman has a black belt or is an MMA fighter." Which is just utter horseshit. The mere possibility that someone may be a highly-trained fighter is not grounds to shoot everyone that resists arrest or engages a cop in a physical struggle. If your first course of action is "shoot" rather than "fight" you're too pussy to be a cop. 
I'm not a cop, and you acting like a pussy probably gives you a better sense of being "too pussy". I also haven't absolved this cop off anything. I just pointed out that being a woman or being unarmed doesn't make you "not dangerous" or that it somehow means you can't EVER be shot if you decide to engage a cop in a physical struggle or resist arrest as you seem to be endorsing. I even pointed out that the cop could have taken better steps so that this didn't happen, but that at some point it had escalated to a point beyond control and ended the way it did. Just because you have your head so far up your own ass that everything you hear and see is full of shit doesn't make you right. You don't shoot people because there MIGHT be a possibility they are a trained fighter or are armed, but you DO try to control the situation like they COULD be (maintain distance, call for backup, get them on the ground facedown with their hands spread, etc). Sometimes that doesn't work - as I also pointed out - and sometimes the cop or victim makes a bad decision worse with more bad decisions. I don't know why this is so difficult to understand. If the cop is wrong, then punish him.

Dumbasses like you probably contribute to more police shootings because you paint every cop as a gun-crazy looking for someone to shoot so it makes more people try to fight to get away because they think they're going to get shot anyway.

And no - I don't really think that, but you only seem to communicate via crazy talk so it's probably the only thing you'd understand.

5 minutes ago, Modessit said:

I'm not a cop, and you acting like a pussy probably gives you a better sense of being "too pussy". I also haven't absolved this cop off anything. I just pointed out that being a woman or being unarmed doesn't make you "not dangerous" or that it somehow means you can't EVER be shot if you decide to engage a cop in a physical struggle or resist arrest as you seem to be endorsing. I even pointed out that the cop could have taken better steps so that this didn't happen, but that at some point it had escalated to a point beyond control and ended the way it did. Just because you have your head so far up your own ass that everything you hear and see is full of shit doesn't make you right. You don't shoot people because there MIGHT be a possibility they are a trained fighter or are armed, but you DO try to control the situation like they COULD be (maintain distance, call for backup, get them on the ground facedown with their hands spread, etc). Sometimes that doesn't work - as I also pointed out - and sometimes the cop or victim makes a bad decision worse with more bad decisions. I don't know why this is so difficult to understand. If the cop is wrong, then punish him.

Dumbasses like you probably contribute to more police shootings because you paint every cop as a gun-crazy looking for someone to shoot so it makes more people try to fight to get away because they think they're going to get shot anyway.

And no - I don't really think that, but you only seem to communicate via crazy talk so it's probably the only thing you'd understand.

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115ce45998436a695659

8 hours ago, riloh05 said:

there simply is many other outcomes that should have played out before this chick was kilt.

first of all--- fuck warrants, seems like this is a way to control a sect of society. just my .02 after several episodes of livepd(so obviously an expert). most folks do the worst things and compound their issues because, warrants.

if you have a warrant because of murder, rape, child diddling, robbery, agg assault, etc...you need to get picked up. you have traffic, drug, dum shit warrants. 1. make the fines affordable by those who are getting them. making someone pay $1500+ which could be more than their monthly income is just stupid. pay your warrant or feed, cloth, take your ass to work...obvi choice is to roll the dice.

yeah i get blah blah blah...but seriously there is too much technology do be doing this archaic shit.

There are multiple ways to take care of warrants. 1) Don't break the law. 2) If 1 is ignored then pay your fine. 3) If 1&2 are ignored serve the sentence. There are diversion programs for people who can't pay and still need to work (Community service, weekend jail, ect). But in all reality 1 is the best solution.

You can't just decide you ain't got time for that. That's not how our society works.

Just now, RPM said:

There are multiple ways to take care of warrants. 1) Don't break the law. 2) If 1 is ignored then pay your fine. 3) If 1&2 are ignored serve the sentence. There are diversion programs for people who can't pay and still need to work (Community service, weekend jail, ect). But in all reality 1 is the best solution.

You can't just decide you ain't got time for that. That's not how our society works.

i mean i get that in earlier days...but times have changed and warrants for bullshit is super dumb. dont be obtuse...i mentioned major crimes, not petty bullshit that keeps life heavy for those who dont have the means to produce the extreme amount of coin that is necessary to uncover from those warrants/fines. again, people are making decisions regardless how simplistic it is and living is more important than paying the arbitrary numbers put forth by city/county/state law enforcement.

So you don't want people to be held accountable for their actions? Say, can you let me know where you park your car? Gonna need a new set of tires soon and since nothing will happen to me, might as well take yours. It's not a major crime.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. /The Sparrow

Edited by RPM

Just a reminder:  any current Baytown cop is someone who couldn't get a better-paying job at the Exxon plant.  Seriously, Exxon raids the smart reliable cops, and leaves the rejects behind.
^this^

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RPM said:

So you don't want people to be held accountable for their actions? Say, can you let me know where you park your car? Gonna need a new set of tires soon and since nothing will happen to me, might as well take yours. It's not a major crime.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. /The Sparrow

No one is suggesting laws should not be enforced. There is a difference between arresting someone for theft and arresting someone for a FTA bench warrant because they couldn’t pay a parking ticket. I believe people should follow the law and there should be consequences for one’s actions but there is ample evidence that the system can and will fuck over the people for minor shit. 

1 minute ago, RPM said:

I agree with you. But her warrants weren't for unpaid parking tickets. He couldn't just ignore them like she did.

And we aren't suggesting he ignore them.  We've suggested that, knowing what he knew about her mental condition and her present state, he be more deliberate in how he went about taking her into custody.  Take some time to talk her down, keep your distance for a bit, wait for backup, all kinds of stuff.  You know, things between "let her go" and "respect my authoritah!"

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And we aren't suggesting he ignore them. 

They were upthread. From what I saw he was doing a good job until she went psycho. Taking his taser was a huge mistake.