Houston Prop B deemed unconstitutional

Storm the Field

3 hours ago, mycox said:

Can you tell me where the money for flood control is going? You are also telling us Lina Hidalgo decided to divert money after months on the job?

What about the trash service have you not liked? There were issues with the recycling trucks because most were out of service due to mechanical problems. That has been resolved.

My understanding was that due to Hurricane Harvey cleanup efforts, the garbage trucks were out of service and/or had to be retired at a higher rate than planned. Maybe its a lie or an exaggeration but seems legit.

What a mess.   Was this part of the November ballot?   If so, politicians and special interest groups love to put their "wishes" on the longer ballots during Presidential or mid term elections because they know the ballot is going to be a mile long and by the time the voter gets to them, they will just check yes if it looks good and the media has done a good job of making it sound good.  This along with tug at the heart advertising. 

A rule of thumb I've always used when I see a police or fire group (really any employee group tied to government) is to dig a little deeper at their goals before I cast a vote.   I love the fact the police associations will wrap up the candidate they support as being the one who is "tougher on crime" all while you might look and his/her district or the city in general and what she/he has done is not seen to earn that merit.  But they give them that cover so they can vote those nice pension packages which will later bankrupt the city or make tax rates so damn high, the departments they work with will be shadow of their former selves one day because they city they served will become another Detroit.   Of course most of those men and women  and their surviving dependents will be long dead before that occurs.

On 5/17/2019 at 10:09 AM, mycox said:

What about the trash service have you not liked? There were issues with the recycling trucks because most were out of service due to mechanical problems. That has been resolved.

Trash service in this city is a joke. I moved to Houston in February and it took the city 4 weeks to deliver a trash can to my house and told me it would take 90 days to receive a recycling can. Mid-May and I still haven’t received one. I had to pay someone $150 the other day to haul all my cardboard to the dump because I’ve been accumulating boxes in my garage since February. You can call 311 all you want and it does absolutely nothing. We love living in Houston, but have just come to accept that city services here are a joke.

3 hours ago, royiv said:

Trash service in this city is a joke. I moved to Houston in February and it took the city 4 weeks to deliver a trash can to my house and told me it would take 90 days to receive a recycling can. Mid-May and I still haven’t received one. I had to pay someone $150 the other day to haul all my cardboard to the dump because I’ve been accumulating boxes in my garage since February. You can call 311 all you want and it does absolutely nothing. We love living in Houston, but have just come to accept that city services here are a joke.

That situation does indeed suck. I'm not sure who to contact to expedite that service.

Trash (including heavy trash and tree waste) has been somewhat of an adventure ever since Harvey. But we've been in Houston since 2010 and I don't ever remember issues before the storm so I think there's something to the party line that it waylaid them pretty bad. You could argue that they should have been better prepared, and you might be right for all I know, but it took them months just to pick up all the debris. Which was understandable to me considering that it was piled up 12 feet high in basically every neighborhood in the city.

On 5/15/2019 at 3:08 PM, Storm the Field said:

For those of you that don't know, Prop B was a ballot measure in the last election that would have required pay parity between HPD and HFD.

So, a 20-year Captain in HFD would have to be paid the same as a 20-year Captain in HPD.

It passed, but was going to cost the city upwards of $100M/year. Hiring freezes, layoff notices, and lawsuits have been the main result so far.

It's also the main issue driving Tony Buzbee's run for Mayor in the next election. He has been representing HFD.

That's pretty much all of us.

On 5/17/2019 at 3:45 PM, mycox said:

West Memorial is the burbs. Sullhorn just stated my case.

Houston taxes, and lots of them. Also took a pretty good flood from the Corps of Engineers to keep downtown from flooding more.  I guess we are all idiots though.

Im in oil, and I’ve lived in three cities since moving back to Houston.  City services have regressed greatly over the years.

That sucks and all, but how can you blame the mayor for flood that devastated your neighborhood? That wasn't Sylvester Turner's decision to release those flood gates.

Taxes? You pay property taxes or states taxes. You are going to get taxed either way. Again, that is not Turner's decision.

Edited by mycox

5 hours ago, mycox said:

That sucks and all, but how can you blame the mayor for flood that devastated your neighborhood? That wasn't Sylvester Turner's decision to release those flood gates.

Taxes? You pay property taxes or states taxes. You are going to get taxed either way. Again, that is not Turner's decision.

No doubt about it—my point has been that the Mayor and the County Judge have been poor at keeping post Harvey promises—this area of the City has been poo-poo’d because it’s “rich”.  

I think Turner has been one of the best Mayor's Houston has had in a long time.  I haven't heard very many complaints about him outside of this thread.  He did an excellent job handling the harvey crisis and he generally seems pragmatic in his decision making.  I hope he gets re-elected over the ambulance chasing attorney.  

RE Trash: When I moved back into my house after Harvey, my new Trashcan came in about one week.  Took a couple months for the recycle bin, but otherwise there are no issues with regular trash service.  I take the can out every monday.  When I come home from work, it's empty.  What's not to liek?  This thread is the first I have heard of anyone complaining about trash service.  I live in the Memorial area as well. 

13 hours ago, Js1 said:

And somehow still Lina Hidalgo's fault 

I roll my eyes when people still complain about Hidalgo getting elected over Ed Emmett. Emmett kept his wagon hitched to the GOP and that doesn't fly in Harris County anymore.  If someone wants to get elected in a county wide race but they lean GOP or they are full-in GOP, they really have no choice but to join the Dem party.

And by the same logic, the county Dem party needs to put up capable candidates in every race.

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I roll my eyes when people still complain about Hidalgo getting elected over Ed Emmett. Emmett kept his wagon hitched to the GOP and that doesn't fly in Harris County anymore.  If someone wants to get elected in a county wide race but they lean GOP or they are full-in GOP, they really have no choice but to join the Dem party.

And by the same logic, the county Dem party needs to put up capable candidates in every race.

Ed Emmett was one cycle away from probable survival as straight ticket is done in 2020. He fell victim to it - ironic, as many idiotic Republicans also benefit from straight ticket voting in heavily Republican areas. 

And I say this as a crossover voter - I voted straight Democrat except for Ed and Sarah Davis (H134) 

Edited by Js1

14 hours ago, heinhorn said:

If Beto wasn't on the ticket, then the blue wave straight ticket lever doesn't get pulled nearly as much and Ed Emmet is still in office.  

Lina underperformed Harris County straight ticket Democrats by 5.5 points.

55% of ballots cast in Harris County were straight ticket.  Lina only won with 49.78%  

Beto actually overperformed - 55% of straight ticket ballots cast for Democratic slate; Beto won 57.98% of the county vote.

But Ed only overperformed straight ticket Republicans by 4.1 points. The Libertarian took 1.64 points more than the straight ticket Libertarians in the county (0.62% versus 2.06% for the Libertarian candidate). 

The difference in this race was 1.62 points between Ed and Lina. 

Edited by Js1