Pope Francis: You know that hell thing? Never mind....

Aqua Buddha

In another interview with his longtime atheist friend, Eugenio Scalfari, Pope Francis claims that Hell does not exist and that condemned souls just "disappear." This is a denial of the 2,000-year-old teaching of the Catholic Church about the reality of Hell and the eternal existence of the soul.

The interview between Scalfari and the Pope was published March 28, 2018 in La Repubblica. The relevant section on Hell was translated by the highly respected web log, Rorate Caeli

The interview is headlined, "The Pope: It is an honor to be called revolutionary." (Il Papa: “È un onore essere chiamato rivoluzionario.")

Scalfari says to the Pope, "Your Holiness, in our previous meeting you told me that our species will disappear in a certain moment and that God, still out of his creative force, will create new species. You have never spoken to me about the souls who died in sin and will go to hell to suffer it for eternity. You have however spoken to me of good souls, admitted to the contemplation of God. But what about bad souls? Where are they punished?"

Pope Francis says,  "They are not punished, those who repent obtain the forgiveness of God and enter the rank of souls who contemplate him, but those who do not repent and cannot therefore be forgiven disappear. There is no hell, there is the disappearance of sinful souls."

https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/michael-w-chapman/pope-francis-there-no-hell

Is there some patristic line of thought that he is tying his statement to, or is it just Francis doing his Francis thing?  There is a basis in patristics to come to a conclusion that heaven and hell are the same place, but I am not aware of one for this line. 

Vatican line is that he didn't say it, and that the article misrepresented PF's words

Same publication, run by a well known Italian Athiest that in 2013 pubilished Francis as having "abolished sin", and is 96 but doesn't use a recorder or take notes when he interviews just goes by his impressions and memory

1 hour ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Discussions of hell and the Old Testament get out of my range pretty quickly. Translations of the word “sheol” abound and I go get a beer...

How many times did you find it translated as "Hell" or a place of fire, of eternal torture? In the King James Version it's translated as "the grave." A land of the dead isn't original to Judeo-Christisn mythology but as far as I can tell the concept of eternal torture for not subscribing to a particular theology is a Christian invention. 

8 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Discussions of hell and the Old Testament get out of my range pretty quickly. Translations of the word “sheol” abound and I go get a beer...

Well, it's definitely a "lake of fire" from Revelations, which of course is derived from the Nirvana song, which of course is in turn derived from "Smoke on the Water."

Pretty simple, see?

• Like 1

VATICAN CITY—In an effort to make the holiday as stress-free as possible for everyone, Pope Francis asked congregants gathered at St. Peter’s Basilica Thursday if it would be okay to just do a low-key Easter this year. “I know we usually get dressed up and make a big deal out of Easter, but wouldn’t it be nice if just this once we had one laid-back mass on Sunday and then called it a day?” said the Supreme Pontiff, noting that while he loved the tradition, he was completely swamped for most of Lent and did not have much time to prepare for the Christian festival this year. “We can definitely do a little communion Easter morning, and maybe we’ll have a quick homily, but, honestly, can we all just save ourselves the hassle and skip Good Friday?” At press time, the Pope was stressing that Easter was really about spending time with loved ones while wondering aloud if it might be better for everyone to just grab brunch at a bistro in Rome’s Flaminio district.

Edited by Assman