Tell me about handgun safes

My kids are getting to the point that I need to properly secure my handguns.  I'm not as worried about them as I am if they bring a friend over and that kid snoops around.    I want something bio metric that I can open quickly god forbid.  

I keep a full size 9mm in my bedroom closet and I carry a compact in my briefcase which is kept in the pantry and loaded.  Not sure how I should secure that.  Maybe I have another safe in the pantry where I store it when not carrying?

If you're just taking about 2 handguns, a couple of biometrics would solve your problem.  One in your bedroom and one in the pantry - secured to the wall or shelving.

Briefcase stays next to the vault in the pantry so its and easy in and out every day.   Bedroom placement is a little trickier and furniture / personal preference is the driver there.

SentrySafe or Vaulteck

6 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Not sure about your circumstances (do you really need it loaded?), but trigger locks are very effective and very cheap.

I have a shitload of those cable locks that I can send you for free.  They are still in their cute little plastic wrappers and unused.

My pantry is next to the garage door so I hung a bunch of hooks for kids backpacks and my messenger/briefcase.  I agree I should probably take it out every night and put it in a safe and put it back in the morning.   Thanks for the all the helpful suggestions. 

My kids are getting to the point that I need to properly secure my handguns.  I'm not as worried about them as I am if they bring a friend over and that kid snoops around.    I want something bio metric that I can open quickly god forbid.  
I keep a full size 9mm in my bedroom closet and I carry a compact in my briefcase which is kept in the pantry and loaded.  Not sure how I should secure that.  Maybe I have another safe in the pantry where I store it when not carrying?

To answer your question, there are several biometric options these days. I know a few people who have the speed vault posted above and like it. The other thing to consider is how and where to secure the handgun safe. At a minimum you want to secure it with a cable lock.

However, I suggest re evaluating a home defense weapon. I personally would not chose a handgun because if I miss a shot, the round is going through a wall with most of its inertia. Like you, I have other people living in the house (on the other side of said walls). I opted for a tactical shotgun with picatinny rails for a remote pressure light. The first 2 shells are birdshot (8 and 6) followed by 2 buck and finally a slug. Birdshot will still go through a wall but it would not be as severe. I increase the stopping power in my shot selection since my goal is to neutralize the threat while making a reasonable attempt the preserve the threats life (knowing full well that it creates additional risk for my own life and legal liability). For that, I receive a lot of criticism but I do it out of personal beliefs. To each his own. The other aspect I like about a shotty is that it’s hard to miss. There is a difference between shooting at a range and shooting in the middle of the night, half asleep, with adrenaline pumping. Unless I’ve done a lot of tactical classes and competitions, I won’t trust myself to be that accurate with a pistol under distress.
I have had unpleasant experience of having to get my gun out in the middle of the night under those circumstances. Let me tell you that my vision and judgment was totally fucked going from deep sleep to oh shit mode instantly. Fortunately it was a false alarm. However, the alarm woke my kids and had them wondering around to investigate. You just never know the situation you’ll face until it happens.

However I digress. There are also tactical locks for shotguns as well. I have one from shotlock. https://www.shotlock.com/. I configure it to hang from the breach. With the breach open, there is no way it can accidentally fire.

• Like 1

my goal is to neutralize the threat while making a reasonable attempt the preserve the threats life (knowing full well that it creates additional risk for my own life and legal liability). For that, I receive a lot of criticism but I do it out of personal beliefs.

Jesus.  Anybody that busts your balls for trying to avoid killing somebody can fuck right off. 

21 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

SentrySafe or Vaulteck

Just make sure you test them. I got one SentrySafe that even after you set it, anyone (including my 6 year old) could put their hand on and it still unlocked. Next one worked fine, but make sure to double check it is secure.