All in the Family/Jeffersons remake?

Mach 1

Am I the only one that thought Jamie Foxx was HORRIBLE? I'll give you Marisa (hell yes) pushed her channeling of Edith a bit too far with the bouncy walk, but Foxx was terrible. I didn't think the flub was funny. He's also too tall to play George. A majority of George jokes are about his height. I can see Kevin Hart crushing it. The Marla Gibbs cameo was great.

Overall I give it an A. It had it's flaws (Foxx), but the rest of the cast and the dialogue (that ABC didn't censor) was great. I'd like to see a Maude / Good Times live next.

And how about Norman fucking Lear? 96 years old and still sharp as a tack. 

53 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

I only got to see the Jeffersons and didn't expect to like i much but I thought it was pretty good for what it was.  Fairly true to the original show.  

It was fairly true to the originals because those were actual original episodes just redone with meh impersonations of the original cast.

I agree with Buck, they should have just re-aired the original episodes with some discussion before and after each.

For the most part, not bad actors but bad idea to have them try and match the original cast. If they felt they needed to redo it, just let them act, rather than impersonate.

1 hour ago, NWBuck said:

It's a pity that they seemed to be doing impersonations rather than acting. 

Hard not to with iconic characters. 

(And still would Tomei) 

That's the rub.  The original cast was becoming their characters and off of each other. This was just an imitation game.

1 hour ago, bamachine said:

If they felt they needed to redo it, just let them act, rather than impersonate.

Here's where we agree and disagree at the same time. I agree an impersonation, like Foxx and Tomei's, didn't work. Both tried too hard to replicate the original performance. You're playing the character not the caricature. If Marisa laid off the bouncy walk she would have been just as good. Gotta agree Kristen Schaal would have been perfect, but Marisa was still lovable Edith.

Jamie was too tall and didn't know his lines. Just another lazy... oh, wait this is 2019. He failed to prepare.

10 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Ah the nostalgia. I now remember why All in the Family sucked.

What ?  Did you fall and smack yer little head ?  Sucked ?  Probably the greatest sitcom in sitcom history. Damn man, the set is in the Smithsonian Institute on permanent display.

Now...   THAT charade last night sucked .

I will watch at some point, but I think casting somebody who is not black as Florence is a huge mistake. The whole point of her character was to play up the race/socio-economic issue between two different black individuals. It was a great dichotomy. 

I will watch at some point, but I think casting somebody who is not black as Florence is a huge mistake. The whole point of her character was to play up the race/socio-economic issue between two different black individuals. It was a great dichotomy. 

Exsqueezeme?

Dunno, maybe they did that as some kind of trick. They brought back Marla Gibbs to play her original role, as some sort of surprise I guess. Oh well, you have been spoiled now, might as well not watch it. That and most of it sucked(not the source material, the way it was done).

Edited by bamachine
Reply to BHM

I thought it was a good one off.  Tomei and Foxx were pretty good, but Woody was awful.  Love the guy but his attempt at a NY accent was cringe worthy.

As a kid I didn't really have an opinion of Meathead, but as an over 40 grown ass man fuck that guy.  Anyone unemployed and living with their in laws has no right to be so opinionated and confrontational.  Get a place of your own, then come over and argue with your father in law, dumbass.

• Like 3

To me, the worst part was Archie drinking a BOTTLE of beer. What the fuck? And it looked like an IMPORTED brand. Archie would have a shitfit if Edith brought him a Lowenbrau.

I actually enjoyed "The Jeffersons" segment. I was so happy when Marla Gibbs appeared-- and yes, they did announce a different actress in the role. Great bait and switch.

• 4 weeks later...