For Sale - Whataburger, update sold!

Tailgate

7 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

We ain't living in the 2000s anymore gramps.  I hope your life alert is functioning as intended!

Hey, idiot-- the entire century is the 2000s.  Just like the previous century was the 1900s.  And before that 1800s.  You're not very bright, probably all that weed.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Hey, idiot-- the entire century is the 2000s.  Just like the previous century was the 1900s.  And before that 1800s.  You're not very bright, probably all that weed.

Actually, I think 2000s would refer to the entire millennium.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/20/2019 at 2:14 PM, po elvis said:

Finally became of whataburger today. Never cared for the size of their burgers. First few bites are good, but the second half of the burger gets gross. Never dawned on me to try the whataburger double meat jr. Had one today with jalapeños and loved it. comparable in size to in n out and Freddy's, but has a good freshness to it. I think they need to call it something other than jr. I always equated it to a kids meal.

tenor.gif

• Like 5

On 6/20/2019 at 3:14 PM, po elvis said:

Finally became of whataburger today. Never cared for the size of their burgers. First few bites are good, but the second half of the burger gets gross. Never dawned on me to try the whataburger double meat jr. Had one today with jalapeños and loved it. comparable in size to in n out and Freddy's, but has a good freshness to it. I think they need to call it something other than jr. I always equated it to a kids meal.

go away goodbye GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, futureman said:

grilling =/= flat top “grilling”

Except it's the exact same process.

As in, exactly.

It's the exact same process in a frying pan, on a gas grill, on a char grill, on a flat top, in a skillet, or over a fucking campfire.

• Like 1

The girl I live with now flew from Portland Oregon to come see me during July. This would be the first time us two would actually meet and I had only $100 that I had to ask my grandfather for since I had no job or money and I had a 93 Blazer with no A/C. The first place I took her was Whataburger. This sucks.

So you won’t meet her until she comes out to see you in July, but you think you are living together?

Whataburger with cheese, grilled japs, and toasted buns is solid. Buffalo chicken strip sandwich is decent. Not a fan of anything else. 

Remember when Whataburger had a decent chicken sandwich but then they made into a shittier version of chick fil a’s sandwich? 

On 6/20/2019 at 3:14 PM, po elvis said:

#6 is the sweet spot. 

Went to Dan's yesterday with the kid. They've taken the large-sized burger off the menu sometime in the last couple months. And the large fries that we ordered to split was definitely not the same large size they used to have. Everything's going to shit nowadays.

3 hours ago, bolverk said:

Went to Dan's yesterday with the kid. They've taken the large-sized burger off the menu sometime in the last couple months. And the large fries that we ordered to split was definitely not the same large size they used to have. Everything's going to shit nowadays.

Fuck!

• 1 year later...

I still hit up whataburger often but they’ve definitely taken a downturn in service and food quality over the last year. At least the 2 stores near me in Houston. I want to think it’s all due to covid, perhaps worse training. Hopefully it’s not due to the new private equity firm owning them.

• 4 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Whataburger is on a 5 order losing streak with fucking up my order.  I’m putting them in temporary timeout.

Whataburger used to be about getting the order right, and made one you order it. Now they seem only about speed. The one that I visit a few times per month, has a weird thing about having ~80% of the cars pull forward because the order isn't ready.

Or I pull up and they ask me if I had the X order. I would estimate they repeat back the wrong order about 1/3 of the time. I guess there are enough mistakes so I'm glad they confirm the order before handing it to me.

the ordering process is getting more difficult for no reason.  And like posters above, they've been screwing mine up more than usual lately.  

I think the PE group that owns them saw the Chick-Fil-A drive-thru deal and thought, "let's do that).  So the one on the north end of the drag that I hit up before working on campus a couple times a month.  And I always get there right at 11:00a when they're setting up their "Lunch Rush" station.  Sometimes I escape having to deal with her, but most of the time---she sets up a camping chair and camping table right next to the loud speaker.  And she practically sticks her head in your car window to ask your order, then swipes your card on a handheld deal.  But it solves nothing, there's just one drive-thru lane.  She's not expediting anything.  So she repeats back your order to the people inside, adding an extra layer in the telephone game to screw up the order.  I could just say my order into the loudspeaker that she's standing right fucking next to.  I don't get why they do this?  Are they doing this at other locations in Austin?  She has the vest on and digital clipboard and all that, but she's just sitting there waiting to incorrectly repeat my order back to the counter people inside.  It's like a training video for Chick-Fil-A on what not to do.  

40 minutes ago, Lobo said:

the ordering process is getting more difficult for no reason.  And like posters above, they've been screwing mine up more than usual lately.  

I think the PE group that owns them saw the Chick-Fil-A drive-thru deal and thought, "let's do that).  So the one on the north end of the drag that I hit up before working on campus a couple times a month.  And I always get there right at 11:00a when they're setting up their "Lunch Rush" station.  Sometimes I escape having to deal with her, but most of the time---she sets up a camping chair and camping table right next to the loud speaker.  And she practically sticks her head in your car window to ask your order, then swipes your card on a handheld deal.  But it solves nothing, there's just one drive-thru lane.  She's not expediting anything.  So she repeats back your order to the people inside, adding an extra layer in the telephone game to screw up the order.  I could just say my order into the loudspeaker that she's standing right fucking next to.  I don't get why they do this?  Are they doing this at other locations in Austin?  She has the vest on and digital clipboard and all that, but she's just sitting there waiting to incorrectly repeat my order back to the counter people inside.  It's like a training video for Chick-Fil-A on what not to do.  

If they can get the order to the kitchen faster, then it could speed up the drive-thru line.  I'm sure COVID led more people to the drive-thru and less inside, so they want to speed up the through-put. 

I see a quality control issue with this. Sometimes, I drive up to the final window and it seems like my food has been sitting there a while. I don't know for certain but I can see other bags waiting for the cars behind me. There's something about the burger and fries being placed in the bags second before you get it.  If you're driving home, you want it off the grill at the last second.

Whataburger talk is serious business

The current pro move is just to pull into a curbside spot and order on your phone. Done this a few times and the order comes out in 5 minutes, hot, fresh, and correct. Much better than waiting in the drive through for 30 minutes and getting the wrong order. At least at the Anderson Lane location, they seem to prioritize the curbside orders regardless of how many people are in the drive through line.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

The current pro move is just to pull into a curbside spot and order on your phone. Done this a few times and the order comes out in 5 minutes, hot, fresh, and correct. Much better than waiting in the drive through for 30 minutes and getting the wrong order. At least at the Anderson Lane location, they seem to prioritize the curbside orders regardless of how many people are in the drive through line.

giphy.gif

didnt even know that was a thing. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

It is a boss move if your location of choice is set up properly for it.  The one I frequent by campus renders that impossible.  The 3-4 spots are positioned so that if the drive-thru line gets to be about 3-4+ cars deep from the speaker...you're blocked in since the ROW isn't wide enough for two way travel.  It's a shitshow, but if you can go at off-peak times, it's definitely the smart play.  

Edited by Lobo