For Sale - Whataburger, update sold!

Tailgate

1 hour ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I'm not super 'tarded, just regular tarded.  I wrote it, realized it was dumb and went to change it, then realized inedible didn't quite have the same oomph.

I thought it was a clever play on their old jingle:  "Unbeatable.  Unbelievable.  Bigger, better burger.  Whataburger."

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

1 hour ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Sonic is damn near uneatable now because of this.

Sonic will probably have some changes coming they were bought by the company that owns Arbys and that just recently bought Buffalo Wild Wings

no matter what one thinks of Arbys they have been doing a massive change to their menu recently and they are a long ways away from the dying 5 for 5 tired ass roast beef chain they were 5 or 6 years ago

Sonic needs a lot less work than Arbys did and Sonic is far from dying, but their burgers are not what they used to be for sure

Buffalo Wild Wings is still just shit, but I imagine they will try a hell of a lot of stuff with them too

2 hours ago, midtown said:

Yum brands.  Chicken, Pizza, and Tacos.  All they are missing is a burger store. 

Yum owned A&W for a while along with LJS......A&W was pretty much on their death bed when they bough them and they did not do much to help, but they probably kept the two brands alive long enough to prevent them from going away forever and now each brand is owned by large groups of franchise owners and are trying new concepts

LJS was on their death bed as well and they have been trying to work their menu too, but it really depends on where you live and what the franchise owner is like (kind of like DQ especially DQs in Texas which have their own fucked up franchise agreements)

Yum supposedly is looking at international expansion I don't think (and I hope not) they are interested in more US acquisitions

hopefully whoever buys Whataburger just buys it for the investment and lets others continue to run it while they collect cash dividends....shit rarely goes like that though

I don't know how much money Bobby Cox Companies has, but I wonder if they would be interested in taking a position and getting some cash off the table for Whataburger owners

Bobby Cox is Rosas, Taco Villa and Texas Burger

http://www.bobbycox.com/

I doubt Bobby Cox has the cash

What Texas really needs is someone to buy Taco Cabana and make them good like they used to be (no slow service please like slower than Whataburger), buy James Coney Island and expand them and Delaware Punch, and buy Antones and expand them without touching the menus on the last two

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I'm going to start saying this in public and see what reactions I get. 

I bet you can work that in often when you conversate with others

Edited by ButtFumble
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

That's what I was thinking as well.  I'd hate to see a bunch of bean counters in NYC get involved in what has worked with this company for decades just because a commodity goes up and instead of raising the price( which most of us who frequent Whataburger  accept) , they shrink the product or take shortcuts.  See Mc D's and the crap they went through for years  when the bean counters where ignoring the franchise owners with some of their idiocy.    

3195t5.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Seems like I have heard this story before. Kids inherited a cash cow, but not as much cash as they want. Sell the cow and cash out. 

I can't remember a version that ends well. 

Sometimes there's that one hold out that has some sense of family history and duty. Usually in fairy tales and Hollywood movies.

caught up on the thread.

YUM was going big on China 20 years ago.  The litmus test is, does it taste like it did when you were a kid.

KFC: no

Taco Bell: no

YUM will destroy Whataburger.

Ditto on Sonic - the burrito with a mound of cheddar on top and the coney simply don't taste like they used to.

About the only thing that still tastes the same is the DQ Steak Finger basket.  And Whataburger.

7 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

caught up on the thread.

YUM was going big on China 20 years ago.  The litmus test is, does it taste like it did when you were a kid.

KFC: no

Taco Bell: no

YUM will destroy Whataburger.

Ditto on Sonic - the burrito with a mound of cheddar on top and the coney simply don't taste like they used to.

About the only thing that still tastes the same is the DQ Steak Finger basket.  And Whataburger.

Yep.  Can’t go wrong with a DQ steak finger basket, or a well run Whataburger 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jimbaround said:

More like “please God don’t let it be Fertitta.”

If that happened, I would go on a rampage that begins with burning UH to the ground and ends with a ritual sacrifice of James Harden inside a Saltgrass Steakhouse.

• Like 6

On 5/17/2019 at 4:28 PM, ButtFumble said:

Sonic will probably have some changes coming they were bought by the company that owns Arbys and that just recently bought Buffalo Wild Wings

no matter what one thinks of Arbys they have been doing a massive change to their menu recently and they are a long ways away from the dying 5 for 5 tired ass roast beef chain they were 5 or 6 years ago

Sonic needs a lot less work than Arbys did and Sonic is far from dying, but their burgers are not what they used to be for sure

Buffalo Wild Wings is still just shit, but I imagine they will try a hell of a lot of stuff with them too

Yum owned A&W for a while along with LJS......A&W was pretty much on their death bed when they bough them and they did not do much to help, but they probably kept the two brands alive long enough to prevent them from going away forever and now each brand is owned by large groups of franchise owners and are trying new concepts

LJS was on their death bed as well and they have been trying to work their menu too, but it really depends on where you live and what the franchise owner is like (kind of like DQ especially DQs in Texas which have their own fucked up franchise agreements)

Yum supposedly is looking at international expansion I don't think (and I hope not) they are interested in more US acquisitions

hopefully whoever buys Whataburger just buys it for the investment and lets others continue to run it while they collect cash dividends....shit rarely goes like that though

I don't know how much money Bobby Cox Companies has, but I wonder if they would be interested in taking a position and getting some cash off the table for Whataburger owners

Bobby Cox is Rosas, Taco Villa and Texas Burger

http://www.bobbycox.com/

I doubt Bobby Cox has the cash

What Texas really needs is someone to buy Taco Cabana and make them good like they used to be (no slow service please like slower than Whataburger), buy James Coney Island and expand them and Delaware Punch, and buy Antones and expand them without touching the menus on the last two

I bet you can work that in often when you conversate with others

Bobby was my little league coach and I went to high school with his daughter. They were well-to-do but never came off as especially rich so I highly doubt he'd be able to buy them out. As the proprietor of the all-time greatest fast-food taco shop, I don't think he'd fuck it up though.

On 5/18/2019 at 6:05 PM, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Reading around it bit more,  it appears Whataburger is looking to sell an equity stake to fund a major expansion and not looking to sell the business.

20 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Can whoever buys it expand to the mid-Atlantic. Kthxbai

Yes, the focus seems to be on expansion. Hopefully they do it without fucking things up.  I'd kill for Whataburger here in Nothern Virginia.

All you guys are so worried about a big corporation or bean counters taking over Whataburger, but don't worry. It's Whataburger. Even after the order is completed, the new owners will have to sit around and wait for a ridiculous amount of time to actually get their hands on the place. 

• Like 2

On 5/18/2019 at 2:26 PM, F250 said:

If that happened, I would go on a rampage that begins with burning UH to the ground and ends with a ritual sacrifice of James Harden inside a Saltgrass Steakhouse.

I said something similar over lunch today with the wife, and she told me “shhh.  Alexa hears that and they’ll be kicking our door in”. Didnt care, repeated it. Don’t fuck with my #2. 

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...