Herman Edwards, lolololololololololololololololololololol

Parliament

40 minutes ago, Machinator said:

E4B6pFJUcAAjU2u?format=jpg&name=large

recruit... "hey man, I'd really like to see the campus before I have to commit, can I stay with you?"

player... "sure, man, no problem, come anytime"

recruit...on own dime and time visits campus...

recruit... "be great to even meet coach in person once before committing"

player... "c'mon we've got meetings later, I'd swing you by for a quick hello"

recruit..." that'd be great, thanks"

NCAA: giphy.gif

Meanwhile...elsewhere...

giphy-downsized-large.gif

giphy.gif

We're just delivering food... no connection to schools...

NCAA: giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, maninblack said:

He makes it sound like his story is about ASU. If it is he really over sold it.

Apparently there is more than just COVID, including paying players, etc. 

Seems like the NCAA found their next Icarus. It's going to be amazing to see ASU get significant punishments while LSU's boosters stealing money from a children's hospital to pay players and MBB coach discussing offers on a wire tap floats by like nothing happened. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Thiefery said:

The PAC conference doesn't get any respect.. if they were in the SEC or even Big12 none of this comes out

Nah, this is the Ole Miss thing - a second-tier program started swiping an infuriating amount of bluechip talent from the established order.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Nah, this is the Ole Miss thing - a second-tier program started swiping an infuriating amount of bluechip talent from the established order.

I believe that’s known as the “Eric Dickerson rule.”  
Steal aggy RB and his T/A?  Get the death penalty. 
c7a915778f59407cbb4d9abfa65f806b.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

TEMPE, Ariz. — The NCAA is investigating whether the Arizona State football program hosted high school prospects during the recent COVID-19 dead period, and possibly other recruiting violations, The Athletic has learned.

Per sources, the school’s athletic compliance office recently received a packet filled with detailed information on high school prospects who visited during the COVID-19 dead period. Not much later, compliance officials started interviewing staff members. A former athletic department employee said some people in the football offices are concerned about losing their jobs.

“ASU can confirm the NCAA is conducting an investigation regarding allegations related to our football program,” Arizona State vice president of media relations and strategic communications Katie Paquet said in a statement to The Athletic. “In accordance with NCAA bylaws, the university cannot provide further comment at this time.”

It’s unknown how many prospects Arizona State is alleged to have entertained during the COVID-19 period. Sources told The Athletic that coaches were “hiding” recruits in a suite during a home game last season at Sun Devil Stadium. A former coach said he once ran into two recruiting assistants bringing a recruit up the back stairs of the program’s football facility to meet head coach Herm Edwards. (The recruit committed and ultimately signed with Arizona State.)

Per one source, a staffer later pointed out the hallway cameras in the football facility would have video of recruits, if anyone ever bothered to check. He was ignored.

In March 2020, the NCAA halted in-person recruiting for 15 months because of the pandemic. Although play resumed on the field, coaching staffs were forced to communicate with recruits through video calls and other electronic means. Arizona State’s recruiting expenses reflect the cutback. In calendar year 2019, the football program spent $597,450 on recruiting, according to information The Athletic received through a public-records request. Last year, it spent $314,977.

The allegations are a bad look for a program that had its season shut down for nearly a month last year because of COVID-19 issues. Half the coaching staff, including Edwards, tested positive. The Sun Devils played only four games, finishing 2-2. On Zoom sessions with reporters, Edwards urged fans to take the virus seriously. With coaches and players exhausted at season’s end, the program removed itself from bowl consideration.

One thing still unknown is the full extent of Edwards’ involvement. Although he coaches in practice, Edwards has adopted a “CEO” face-of-the-program role for most of the past three-plus years. He leans heavily on Antonio Pierce, who has been considered a rising star and possibly the program’s next head coach. Pierce’s job titles include associate head coach, recruiting coordinator and defensive coordinator, but more than anything, he drives Arizona State recruiting.

A former NFL linebacker and head coach at Long Beach Poly High, Pierce arrived with strong Southern California high school connections. In 2020 one coworker described his recruiting efforts as “tireless and enthusiastic.” Behind this drive, the Sun Devils have established themselves more on the national recruiting landscape, reaching outside the traditional Pac-12 footprint. In 2019, they had the nation’s No. 28 recruiting class, per the 247Sports Composite. The next year, they were 23rd.

Asked if Edwards would be aware of potential recruiting misdeeds, one former athletic department staffer responded without hesitation, “No way.” Another said Edwards is more of a “closer” in recruiting, similar to many head coaches. But not everyone agrees. Multiple sources said Edwards is smart enough to understand that some things he’s better off not knowing. One said he still probably is “90 percent aware” of what goes on with recruiting.

A former ASU staffer described the way the football program is being run as “a rogue culture” and said it’s been built on “a house of cards.”

In April, the NCAA announced that all Division I sports could return to their regular recruiting schedules June 1, business as usual. This month, Arizona State football has hosted both in-state and out-of-state prospects on official and unofficial visits. The Sun Devils have four high school prospects committed to their 2022 class but are in contention for top prospects across the country.

15 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

this tweet cannot be related to the above Herm incidents can it?

not sure ASU is a "balance of power" mover

Whenever I see someone talk like this I automatically assume they have nothing and are just seeking attention. Watch me be right.

• Hook 'Em 4

Herm should have paid for unofficial visits. How the hell else is ASU going to compete?

Likely all other pac-12 schools were recruiting during the blackout. He is probably just getting popped for doing what everybody else was already doing. Since they are not a powerhouse they are getting the brunt.

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Cuernavaca said:

Herm should have paid for unofficial visits. How the hell else is ASU going to compete?

Likely all other pac-12 schools were recruiting during the blackout. He is probably just getting popped for doing what everybody else was already doing. Since they are not a powerhouse they are getting the brunt.

someone snitched from the inside

17 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Why can't someone just sue the NCAA for unfair, obviously selective enforcement of rules? Seems like the evidence is bountiful at this point.

Maybe the University of Texas should do that. I mean, it’s not like they’re part of the NCAA or anything

Oh, wait.

Jesus, the ignorance of who and what the NCAA is among the fans and media is simply astounding. The media knows better. They’re just peddling a narrative that sells. But Jesus Christ, people. YOU ARE THE NCAA!! Get rid of the NCAA, you’ll just bitch about whatever replaces it, BECAUSE YOU'LL BE JUST AS MUCH A PART OF THEM AS YOU ARE OF THE NCAA NOW!!

Think. For the love of god, please try to think.

• Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Maybe the University of Texas should do that. I mean, it’s not like they’re part of the NCAA or anything

Oh, wait.

Jesus, the ignorance of who and what the NCAA is among the fans and media is simply astounding. The media knows better. They’re just peddling a narrative that sells. But Jesus Christ, people. YOU ARE THE NCAA!! Get rid of the NCAA, you’ll just bitch about whatever replaces it, BECAUSE YOU'LL BE JUST AS MUCH A PART OF THEM AS YOU ARE OF THE NCAA NOW!!

Think. For the love of god, please try to think.

You are starting to convince me that you actually ARE Zach Smith. 

32 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

I've never seen their annual report. Where does their funding come from? 

Entirely from the NCAA Basketball Tournament. Football money all goes through the conferences to their member schools. The NCAA has an administrative staff all on fixed salaries. Most of the NCAA is made up of members of the staff and faculty of its member schools. Yours, mine, and all the rest. The schools all vote on the rules. Anything that might replace the NCAA would be exactly like the NCAA. A consortium of all the schools trying to make sure everyone is playing by the same rules as best they can. Some schools cheat harder than others. <*cough* SEC *cough*>

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Entirely from the NCAA Basketball Tournament. Football money all goes through the conferences to their member schools. The NCAA has an administrative staff all on fixed salaries. Most of the NCAA is made up of members of the staff and faculty of its member schools. Yours, mine, and all the rest. The schools all vote on the rules. Anything that might replace the NCAA would be exactly like the NCAA. A consortium of all the schools trying to make sure everyone is playing by the same rules as best they can. Some schools cheat harder than others. <*cough* SEC *cough*>

Well, we all know that SEC stands for "Sure, Everybody Cheats."

On 6/17/2021 at 8:39 AM, Helobious said:

Whenever I see someone talk like this I automatically assume they have nothing and are just seeking attention. Watch me be right.

You don't sit on a massive story for long because you risk missing out on being the one to break it. If you drop a bombshell story out of nowhere, everybody will still know about it. It's not a TV show or movie you have to hype in advance. 

• Hook 'Em 1