2020 Texas Baseball

zlavydra

I'm already thinking of next year. Line up?

C - Petrinsky and Peter
1B - Son of Bertel
2B - Ford
SS - Hamilton?
3B - Reynolds back for another encore?
OF - Kennedy/Ellis/?
DH - Zubia?

Any incoming hitters?

SP - Elder/Madden/Cobb/Whelan
RP - Quintanilla/Diaz/Stevens/Bryant/Neely/Meaney/Fields/LHPs to be named later

3 hours ago, zlavydra said:

C - Petrinsky and Peter
1B - Son of Bertel
2B - Ford
SS - Hamilton?
OF - Kennedy/Ellis/?
DH - Zubia?

Any incoming hitters?

Kennedy, Ford and Hamilton should be the only guys that are guaranteed.  Every other spot should be open with current roster and incoming freshman battling it out for the remaining 6 positions. 

41 minutes ago, 66BUFF said:

Kennedy, Ford and Hamilton should be the only guys that are guaranteed.  Every other spot should be open with current roster and incoming freshman battling it out for the remaining 6 positions. 

We need all 6-7 freshmen to start next year. Have to keep that “team is young” excuse going...

1 hour ago, 66BUFF said:

Agree with that, although If Petrinsky is healthy, I think he's one of our best 9 hitters.

7 hours ago, zlavydra said:

C - Petrinsky and Peter
1B - Son of Bertel
2B - Ford
SS - Hamilton?
OF - Kennedy/Ellis/?
DH - Zubia?

Any incoming hitters?

Holy fuck, that's a depressing lineup.  

From OB, looking forward:

Since everyone probably wants to look ahead and be done with the 2019 season, a few comments from David Pierce following the final game of the season, a 6-4 win for Texas (27-27, 7-16) over Oklahoma:

--- "It was a tough year. Not what we expect around here," said the Texas head coach. "You can see some improvements coming into next year. Really pleased with some of the young players how they played tonight. Thankful for the seniors and the guys that may move on the in the draft. But I’m also already excited about the fall because I think we have a bright future with some kids coming in as well as some young kids we can build."

--- When asked if he expects a lot of roster turnover since Texas has a lot of draft-eligible players, the Texas head coach made it abundantly clear the roster next season will look dramatically different. 

"I’m not going to sit here and be 27-27 and not make some changes," he said. "So, there’s definitely going to be some changes. There are going to be some incoming guys that are going to help us. We’re going to add some guys. We just verballed one, working on a couple others that will fit into what we need to be successful next season."

Specifically, Pierce, after he was asked about individual signees he feels can come in and immediately make an impact, named a few: 

"Brendan Dixon out of Argyle… he’s a ballplayer. He has that kind of ‘it’ factor. (Trey) Faltine, same thing; (Andre) Duplantier, same thing. Silas Ardoin is going to fit right in here as a catch-and-throw (catcher) guy as a freshman."

Most importantly, Pierce sounded like he expects both DJ Petrinsky and David Hamilton back and healthy next season. 

"We’re going to get DJ healthy and back. Hopefully, his arm comes back 100%. We’re going to get David back. Hopefully, they don’t offer him too much that he doesn’t have any decisions to make," said the Texas head coach. "You insert some older guys there, couple of JC (junior college) guys, and then some incoming freshmen that are very talented with some existing freshmen that have a chance to continue to grow from their roles."

I don't think Hamilton's decision is a slam dunk as Pierce made it sound, but it's clear he thinks the shortstop will be back. 

--- Pierce said he's frustrated about a lot of things, but mentioned not maximizing this group, the team never getting over the hump in the middle of the season, and never getting to a point where the chemistry was fully right. 

--- Texas will start on next season Monday with meetings with players, preparing for summer baseball assignments, and taking a look at where the program must improve as well as individual aspects with players. 

"We’ll start off on Monday and we’ll meet back with the kids at 10:00 a.m.. We’ll go through our end-of-season meetings, one-on-ones, visit with the kids moving on and also start preparing for these guys getting ready for summer ball and start identifying what things they have to do to improve," said Pierce. "If that’s fixing a swing, fixing a mechanic, or improving grips, that’s where we have to go because we feel like we have some really big arms but we’re still a long ways away from being really good pitchers. We have to fast forward that and have a very productive fall. We’ll prepare for that. It’ll start on Monday. We’ll get on the recruiting trail as well. Start camps on recruiting."

Man. 2019 was not good. Understatement I know.

The baseball season is the only reason I keep LHN and I maybe watched 5 games after conference play started.

I hope the team gets focused and some help in all areas.

Guest Lobo

Tl; dr version of that Pearce interview—-we are going to be young next year.  Again.  As always.  

Sometimes I think our athletic dept is run by the 1984 government.  

“Texas is a young team.  Texas has always been a young team.  Texas will always be a young team.”  

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Does anyone think Pierce is going to make changes to his staff?  

No. This was on the players as he mentioned in the article. He is not going to go 27-27 and not make changes. Coaches will stay. Players will go.  

25 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Tl; dr version of that Pearce interview—-we are going to be young next year.  Again.  As always.  

Sometimes I think our athletic dept is run by the 1984 government.  

“Texas is a young team.  Texas has always been a young team.  Texas will always be a young team.”  

That doesn’t bode well because it’s damn near impossible to name ONE thing that improved during this season for a rudderless team. Pierce had all year to develop players and improve their games ... and failed.

Pitching, both starters and relievers?

Defense?

Hitting?

Situational awareness?

Base running?  

Anything left?  Yes ... great uniforms. 

I know he was just blabbering names and other stuff because it was an interview.

I expect CDC to tell him the fact that this team and almost all players regressed during the season is on him and his coaching staff.   This is 100% on him that we aren't in the Big 12(not the NCAA) tournament.  27-27 doesn't mean shit if you are LAST FUCKING PLACE in your conference.  i don't give a fuck about what players he has coming.  The players aren't the issue.

I am really tired of paying for shitty coaching.  this guy is never getting back to the CWS.  he had a player have a once in a decade type of season and got fortunate to play Tenn Tech at home in the supers.

I'm just not buying the Kody did it all meme.  He was a big help in the lineup and I think a leader and rallying point, but he didn't do it all.

And while TTech may have provided a less than stellar SR opponent (don't really buy that either), just making a Super last year exceeded expectations.

I do think talent kind of bottomed this year.  Yes, he had his first full freshman class, but it's foolish to think one class of freshmen is going to turn anything around.  I think two starters that lead the team in batting is above-average expectation-wise.

Regardless, he's coming back next year, the freshmen that have shown glimpses will be a little more mature, and there will be a new crop that maybe has a phenom or two.

It will be an acid test.  It will make things a lot easier if he falls on his face.  There seems to be a body of evidence that might support that happening, but I don't think it's inevitable.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 2

Fair enough but this is the type of season that should get you fired at Texas.  we ride bad coaches until the wheels fall off. 

He made the CWS last year  and its only his 3rd year so I have no problem with him getting another year but I predict this will not end well.  there were some really bad signs this year.

• Like 1

3/20    @Oklahoma
3/27    Oklahoma State
4/3     @West Virginia
4/9     Baylor
4/17    Kansas
4/24    @Kansas State
5/1     @Texas Tech
5/8     TCU

The 2020 Big 12 conference schedule has our bye the last week of conference play.  So if woes continue we could be done with baseball by May 9th.

Between finals and finding an independent to schedule that last weekend...  

I'm making my first trip to Morgantown next season unless the schedule offers something more interesting.

Guest Lobo

We have accepted mediocrity, with few exceptions, across all 3 major sports for a decade.  And we keep throwing more money at the problem thinking that because our state breeds supposedly "great athletes"...our luck will turn around.  

8 hours ago, dcar00 said:

Fair enough but this is the type of season that should get you fired at Texas.  we ride bad coaches until the wheels fall off. 

He made the CWS last year  and its only his 3rd year so I have no problem with him getting another year but I predict this will not end well.  there were some really bad signs this year.

I have serious questions about Pierce's ability to correctly evaluate the skill level of his players or correct their bad habits.  I don't mean "his" as in guys he recruited, I mean the guys he is coaching. Take Shugart, I think it was obvious to everyone that has ever played something other than rec baseball, that Shugart was always overthrowing. There were times when he actually lost his balance in his follow through.  That's why his control suffered.  When he got his fastball over, it was a cock shot that usually ended up in extra bases and often times a home run.  How the fuck does Pierce not sit him down and explain that located 88mph is better than 92 over the middle of the plate.  He continues to trot Fields out there too with the same shitty result.  Fields, like Shugart, is a talented player that could really benefit from actual coaching.  When you have a good coach, players get better.  They certainly don't get worse

• Like 1

Where have you been with score updates ?  😊 

My guess is Todd and Henley go.  They almost left during the coaching transition

Reynolds will depend on his draft position and advice from his Dad.

A touching moment during the 8th inning of the last OU game - as Pierce was making a pitching change, Reynolds put his arm around McCann.

• Like 1

Easy - nut up and go fucking big for our next two coaching hires

Get Beard from Tech and get Tadlock when you go to pick up Beard

spend 50 million dollars, who gives a fuck... we cant keep pussy footing and looking like kansas city fags

Except Tadlock was the only coach Pierce beat in conference. We sure we want that dude?

2 hours ago, petscii said:

We want John Savage at UCLA, he built that program into a champion that actually won a CWS. I don't know why this is so hard.

(UCLA is my pick to win it all this year)

He was considered when we hired pierce, but there was a surprising amount of anti savage sentiment at the time.

10 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

He was considered when we hired pierce, but there was a surprising amount of anti savage sentiment at the time.

Yes, I remember I was one who was arguing for him last time.   The same peanut gallery said Pat Casey had fluke national championships.    I commented that Casey liked to quit a lot.

15 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Probably because we wanted an offensive kind of coach. Savage's teams tended to win with pitching and defense. How lame is that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If we get another coach I do hope it is another west coast coach. They play the best baseball out there IMO and their athletic departments are underfunded which might help in poaching somebody good.

Even though Pierce is not CDC's guy I doubt he dumps him this fast.

Anyway I am interested to see how many guys we get back. Ellis, Hamilton, Reynolds, and Petrinsky might all be gone.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Anyway I am interested to see how many guys we get back. Ellis, Hamilton, Reynolds, and Petrinsky might all be gone.

I wonder if he lost the team when he dismissed Beau Ridgeway left the team right before  the Stanford series.  After the Thursday night game (which was spectacular and all I could ever want) the wheels fell off.  We'll see who comes back.

Edited by petscii

32 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Cross Jack Neely off - in the portal. 

Though Neely's performance was erratic this year,  likely indicates he feels he is not receiving proper coaching.

-  From a UT Family.  Great grandfather and grandfather played football here.

- Would have been a fairly high draft choice.   Saw him pitch in high school couple of times.   Numerous scouts.    Told scouts he intended to attend UT,  his dream school. 

- May transfer to a smaller school and become draft eligible.   Only 19 yo.

-  Only negative he is a Red Sox fan.    😊

Unlike football, there's not much info on the baseball program.  However, there are some posters on OB who know or claim to know current or incoming players (many of them have kids that have played with the players in high school/travel ball).  There's been some interesting scuttlebutt throughout the season, but keep in mind it's not even 9.95 mod bullshit, so it should be taken with a mountain of salt.  On the Neely thread on OB, the three most interesting claims have been: 1) many of the guys we are recruiting are head scratchers and are not that great in high school (Baty is an exception but is likely to go professional); 2) the coaches have screwed around with hitter's swing planes and pitchers' arm angles this year and the results have been a disaster ; 3) all assistant coaches have been told they are being retained.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

; 2) the coaches have screwed around with hitter's swing planes and pitchers' arm angles this year and the results have been a disaster ; 

I think there is truth to the above.    Not a regular viewer,   but happened to see part of Game Plan with David Pierce on LHN awhile back.    He talked extensively about correcting hitter's mechanics using intricate terms.

Please keep us posted on other info and we will make your green bar expand.....oh, wait...    

To amend my post above about Neely,  AAS stated Pierce and the coaches had individual meetings with the players this past Monday to discuss their performance and future.    Neely may have been told he was not part of the future.   However,  I talked briefly with his Dad at a high school game.  Dad seems like a no bs guy wanting the best for his son.   Neely is definitely a project,  but has the tools to be very good.   Perfect Game ranked Neely, Cobb, and Madden very close.   Neely is not Pierce's type of pitcher due to control issues (walks).

58 minutes ago, torre said:

I think there is truth to the above.    Not a regular viewer,   but happened to see part of Game Plan with David Pierce on LHN awhile back.    He talked extensively about correcting hitter's mechanics using intricate terms.

Please keep us posted on other info and we will make your green bar expand.....oh, wait...    

To amend my post above about Neely,  AAS stated Pierce and the coaches had individual meetings with the players this past Monday to discuss their performance and future.    Neely may have been told he was not part of the future.   However,  I talked briefly with his Dad at a high school game.  Dad seems like a no bs guy wanting the best for his son.   Neely is definitely a project,  but has the tools to be very good.   Perfect Game ranked Neely, Cobb, and Madden very close.   Neely is not Pierce's type of pitcher due to control issues (walks).

The whole arm angle thing makes a lot of sense because they had some success with it last year.  On the one hand, I am glad someone is paying some kind of attention to swing mechanics and hitting: on the other, it seems whatever they did was a disaster.  On still a third hand, changing mechanics can take some time to "take."  Next year is going to tell the tale, I suppose.

Guest Lobo

Best of luck to him.  Can't wait for the moronically timed letter from the LHF saying ticket prices are up, seat license prices are up, and the schedule is shittier and we expect to do...worse.  

Where the fuck do I send my now non-tax exempt donations you fucking children?