2020 Texas Baseball

zlavydra

23 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Who would want a coach that took his team to the CWS last year and has his team a national seed this year

I want the coach is who is going to win his second national championship this decade.

The whole arm angle thing makes a lot of sense because they had some success with it last year.  On the one hand, I am glad someone is paying some kind of attention to swing mechanics and hitting: on the other, it seems whatever they did was a disaster.  On still a third hand, changing mechanics can take some time to "take."  Next year is going to tell the tale, I suppose.

Poke fans were all up in arms early in the season on launch angles, as everyone was swinging for the fence vs maximizing the chances at contact with a swing that matches the plane of the pitch. So many strikeouts, of course with the right power it can work out and flip the game quickly...HRs this year have changed the course of plenty of games, particularly in the conference tourney...but I feel like it took half the season to get there and I’m not sure if Holliday coaches it that way or just decided to roll with it.

Watching Colin Simpson damn near fall over every time he whiffs is maddening, especially in a close game, but if he hits it cleanly it’s a thing of beauty. Saw a lot of the former this year in the Texas games I watched and a lot of the latter last year.

High risk / high reward I guess.

High School Regional Finals begin Thursday if anyone lives near and wants to see the future.

If these recruits all reach the state tournament, friends could soon become foes. Brett Baty’s Lake Travis Cavaliers and Austin Wallace’s Flower Mound Jaguars are both competing in the Class 6A playoffs while Robinson’s Peyton Powell and Argyle’s Brenden Dixon play for Class 4A schools. In an interesting twist, the Class 4A state tournament will be held next week at UFCU Disch-Falk Field.

Here is the schedule for the UT recruits who are competing in a regional final this week:

Lake Travis infielder Brett Baty (vs. Laredo Alexander)

Game 1: Thursday at 7 p.m. at San Antonio’s North East ISD Sports Park

Game 2: Saturday at 4 p.m. at San Antonio’s North East ISD Sports Park

Game 3 (if necessary): Saturday at 6:30 p.m. at San Antonio’s North East ISD Sports Park

Argyle infielder Brenden Dixon (vs. Iowa Park)

Game 1: Wednesday at 8 p.m.  at Abilene Christian

Robinson catcher Peyton Powell (vs. Sweeny)

Game 1: Wednesday at 5 p.m. at Sam Houston State

Game 2: Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. at Sam Houston State

Game 3 (if necessary): Friday at 12 p.m. at Sam Houston State

Flower Mound pitcher Austin Wallace (vs. Southlake Carroll)

Game 1: Thursday at 7:30 p.m. at TCU

Game 2: Friday at 7: 30 p.m. at Dallas Baptist

Game 3 (if necessary): Saturday at 12 p.m. at Frisco’s Dr Pepper Ballpark

Baty may not ever end up in a Texas uniform since he is expected to be a high pick in next week’s MLB Draft. Dixon, though, was among the incoming recruits that UT head coach David Pierce expressed excitement about following UT’s season finale.

https://www.hookem.com/2019/05/29/with-the-playoffs-winding-down-could-a-battle-at-ufcu-disch-falk-field-await-for-two-ut-signees/

12 hours ago, Enfield said:

How is Austin Wallace? I can’t find any stats on him.

I don't have access to Perfect Game ratings but...    

https://www.prepbaseballreport.com/profiles/TX/Austin-Wallace-6287930145-4836172059   (stats breakdown)

Personal: Son of Danny Wallace and Julie Holliman…has two sisters, Abby and Kayla, and a brother, Garrett…Julie threw discus and javelin at Baylor (1992-95) while Danny was a baseball walk-on at Texas from 1986-87.

High school: Lettered and started in each of his seasons at Flower Mound under his head coach (and father) Danny Wallace…was named second team All-District as a junior and first team All-District as a sophomore…represented Texas at the Area Code Underclass Games in 2017. 

I chose Texas because: "…I grew up a huge fan, always wanted to wear the burnt orange and play in Omaha for a national title."

Allen on Wallace: "Austin is a very big and strong two-way player that should contribute both ways right away. Austin has quality stuff that will only continue to get better while on campus. His best pitch is an 86-90 mph fastball that has plus-life to it. He will develop into a low 90s power type lefty. As a hitter, he has shown the ability to square balls up consistently while at Flower Mound." 

Pierce on Wallace: "Austin is another lefty with a high ceiling. He's touched 90 and we project him to be a potential power guy with feel for his secondary pitches. Danny Wallace is not only Austin's high school coach, but his dad that has produce multiple players at Flower Mound High School. We expect the trend to continue with his own son. Austin can hit as well and will compete as a two-way player for us."

https://texassports.com/news/2018/11/14/baseball-inks-15-to-national-letters-of-intent.aspx

57 minutes ago, torre said:

I don't have access to Perfect Game ratings but...    

https://www.prepbaseballreport.com/profiles/TX/Austin-Wallace-6287930145-4836172059   (stats breakdown)

Personal: Son of Danny Wallace and Julie Holliman…has two sisters, Abby and Kayla, and a brother, Garrett…Julie threw discus and javelin at Baylor (1992-95) while Danny was a baseball walk-on at Texas from 1986-87.

High school: Lettered and started in each of his seasons at Flower Mound under his head coach (and father) Danny Wallace…was named second team All-District as a junior and first team All-District as a sophomore…represented Texas at the Area Code Underclass Games in 2017. 

I chose Texas because: "…I grew up a huge fan, always wanted to wear the burnt orange and play in Omaha for a national title."

Allen on Wallace: "Austin is a very big and strong two-way player that should contribute both ways right away. Austin has quality stuff that will only continue to get better while on campus. His best pitch is an 86-90 mph fastball that has plus-life to it. He will develop into a low 90s power type lefty. As a hitter, he has shown the ability to square balls up consistently while at Flower Mound." 

Pierce on Wallace: "Austin is another lefty with a high ceiling. He's touched 90 and we project him to be a potential power guy with feel for his secondary pitches. Danny Wallace is not only Austin's high school coach, but his dad that has produce multiple players at Flower Mound High School. We expect the trend to continue with his own son. Austin can hit as well and will compete as a two-way player for us."

https://texassports.com/news/2018/11/14/baseball-inks-15-to-national-letters-of-intent.aspx

Only thing I don't like here is the right arm flying backwards as he releases the ball. It should be working back in front of him.  Here's a good example.ap_rockies_dodgers_baseball_85475308.jpg

2 hours ago, Fletch said:

So yeah. @torre, @texasstrong12, at @Machinator, y’all have a history of knowing our incoming recruiting classes. How are we looking? Any draft risks? Any prospect that would be a day one starter? Any of that? 

Personally,  I don't follow recruiting closely -  just do research when a name appears.   The above link lists all signees.  In addition,  Camryn Wiilliams, infielder from San Jac signed.   Maybe others that I am not aware.

Pierce thinks Silas Ardoin, Catcher,  has the defensive skill set to compete to start.   Keep an eye on Andre Duplantier, RHP, whose brother was an ace at Rice and now with the Diamondbacks organization.

Draft begins Monday, 3 June.    Will be interesting to see how Hamilton and Reynolds fare.  Baty, Lake Travis, is projected as a top 20 pick.

• Like 1

Here's a good writeup on the incoming recruits most likely to contribute in 2020.  

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2019/5/22/18630572/texas-longhorns-baseball-2020-camryn-williams-brenden-dixon-silas-ardoin-andre-duplantier

What should worry everyone the most, in my view, is the lack of bats and pop.  Baty is by far the best bat, but he has a 0% chance of coming here.  After that, it looks like Brenden Dixon and Camryn Williams might be able to hit.  

On 5/19/2019 at 7:11 PM, Valmy77 said:

Probably because we wanted an offensive kind of coach. Savage's teams tended to win with pitching and defense. How lame is that?

hard for the in stadium dj to find their groove with that kind of team

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Haha 1

On 5/30/2019 at 8:35 PM, bschoolprof said:

Here's a good writeup on the incoming recruits most likely to contribute in 2020.  

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2019/5/22/18630572/texas-longhorns-baseball-2020-camryn-williams-brenden-dixon-silas-ardoin-andre-duplantier

What should worry everyone the most, in my view, is the lack of bats and pop.  Baty is by far the best bat, but he has a 0% chance of coming here.  After that, it looks like Brenden Dixon and Camryn Williams might be able to hit.  

It’d be pretty nice for one of DJ or Peters to lock down catcher then move the other to first. Whichever is beer defensively I guess. Then hopefully get Hamilton and Reynolds back. We’ll see what happens in the draft regarding Ellis and Todd. Then Ford at 2nd. If Ellis and Todd come back, that’s a pretty solid line up. Wish there was a way we could get more ab’s out of Bertelson. seems like the kind of guy that would hit like .250 with 8 homers or something. Idk. We’ll see what happens 

Good story on Baty  (excerpts only,  full story worth a read/photos)      #so you say there is a chance/gif

By late Monday night, he’ll almost certainly have heard his name called during the first round of the major league baseball amateur draft. He’s been projected to go as high as eighth to the Rangers or as low as 31st to the Dodgers.

But Brett said if he goes late in the first round and is offered much less than he wants, he’ll gladly show up at Texas and play two or three seasons for the Longhorns.

Baty might be the best high school baseball player to come out of Central Texas since Huston Street and the best position player since Lance Berkman. He’s widely projected as a sure-fire first-round draft pick, and it wouldn’t hurt his feelings any if the Rangers picked him at No. 8. That’s his favorite team. And his favorite player has always been future Hall of Famer Adrian Beltre.

Scouts love his ability to stay back and drive the ball with his strong hips. He’s a wrecking ball at the plate.

This 6-foot-3, 210-pound senior has explosive power. He hits from the left side and has a spectacular 19 home runs this season — check the glass cases for proof — and excellent plate discipline. How good? He’s walked 44 times.

Baty’s so handy to have around that he worked as the Cavaliers’ closer until LSU-bound ace Jimmy Lewis strained a lat muscle and was lost for the playoffs. Baty has filled in as one of the starters and one-hit San Antonio Johnson in a 1-0 victory during the playoffs.

“Basically,” Rogers said, “he wears an S on his chest under his uniform.”

So is there anything this kid’s not good at?

Elmore pondered the question for a moment and said, “Getting a tan.”

He and his family will fly to New York on Sunday for the start of the three-day draft Monday, but it’s not a foregone conclusion that he’ll sign. The difference between the top and bottom of the first round is substantial. Baltimore’s first pick is slotted to receive an $8.4 million bonus, but the Astros’ last pick in the first (before the compensatory selections) will get just $2.2 million.

And this is a guy who so loves college baseball, he and his dad have made 10 straight trips to the College World Series in Omaha, Neb., and he’s spent so much time on the UT campus, he’s gone to baseball, football, men’s basketball and women’s basketball games. And a volleyball match.

“It’s been exciting, but also stressful and nerve-wracking,” said Clint, who has already met with financial advisers, area scouts, general managers and even one major league baseball owner. “We want it to be a great organization, a good organization that develops its players well and takes care of them. We’re hoping it’s a good situation. If it’s not, he’ll be a Longhorn, which is another good situation.”

https://www.statesman.com/sports/20190531/bohls-ut-or-mlb-lake-travis-baty-has-power-at-plate-negotiating-table

Man. After his freshman campaign, I thought Nico was going to be one of those invaluable four-year starters, eating up incredible innings, Tuesday guy, tournament 4th starter, and by his Sr year maybe hitting a growth spurt and turning into a monster. Bummed about this one, tbh.

1 hour ago, capnamerca said:

Man. After his freshman campaign, I thought Nico was going to be one of those invaluable four-year starters, eating up incredible innings, Tuesday guy, tournament 4th starter, and by his Sr year maybe hitting a growth spurt and turning into a monster. Bummed about this one, tbh.

He really just seemed to always “nibble” with his pitches.  Did not seem to have conviction to throw strikes with any of his pitches.

Good luck to him.

On 5/30/2019 at 10:20 AM, capnamerca said:

Only thing I don't like here is the right arm flying backwards as he releases the ball. It should be working back in front of him.  Here's a good example.ap_rockies_dodgers_baseball_85475308.jpg

We need lefties.  Hope Austin can be an answer.

2 hours ago, cochamps said:

He really just seemed to always “nibble” with his pitches.  Did not seem to have conviction to throw strikes with any of his pitches.

Good luck to him.

I'm not on the "Fire Pierce" train yet, but this is 100% coaching. Or some combination of coaching and recruit identification. If it's coaching, Pierce failed this kid. If it's recruit identification, Pierce's recruits this year better not struggle in this area.

16 minutes ago, capnamerca said:

I'm not on the "Fire Pierce" train yet, but this is 100% coaching. Or some combination of coaching and recruit identification. If it's coaching, Pierce failed this kid. If it's recruit identification, Pierce's recruits this year better not struggle in this area.

Do not disagree.  A pitcher without conviction has no confidence.  Another way of saying a batting practice pitcher.

20 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

... where will it be any better?

Top 50 national recruit.    Played 3B in high school and both SS/2B after he transferred to IMG Academy Fla.   Not a pure shortstop.   Just not ready for pressure of replacing Hamilton...

and many players need a supportive coaching staff when they struggle.    CJ Hinojosa struggled early his freshman year.  

Kendall thinks Reagan will go juco to become draft eligible.

Positive is perhaps Hamilton told everyone he is returning.      

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

This sounds a bit ominous.  Does Pierce have a $hitlist or a big doghouse?

I've not heard he does. I have heard he is very direct with his players. If he does not think they are going to play next year, he tells them.

10 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

This sounds a bit ominous.  Does Pierce have a $hitlist or a big doghouse?

Don't think so.     Just my opinion,  but it seems by his comments/actions he should consider being more patient.    Result may be  better development especially with the pitching staff.  

As Goodman adeptly states above,  Pierce is very direct.    That's fine,  but confidence is a fragile thing in baseball.

My personal frailty is I don't like to see transfers. 

I thought Reagan had potential (especially at the plate) and looked forward to him developing. Of course, I’m still waiting on Ryan Reynolds and Austin Todd to “develop”, so what do I know. Sure hope this means Hamilton is coming back. 

1 hour ago, EZ$ said:

I thought Reagan had potential (especially at the plate) and looked forward to him developing. Of course, I’m still waiting on Ryan Reynolds and Austin Todd to “develop”, so what do I know. Sure hope this means Hamilton is coming back. 

A healthy Hamilton at SS would be great.... also would like to see Pierce bring in a quality defender at 1st base.  Wouldn't mind if Todd, Reynolds or Ellis were able to somehow get MLB contracts and move on.  Pierce needs to quickly get more offense on his roster and bring in more of his kinda guys that are bought in... otherwise 2020 might be his final season coaching the Longhorns.

(Hopefully there have been no extensions to Pierce's original contract....  In June 2016, Pierce received a  "6-year, $4.75 million contract" paying him " a minimum annual base salary of about $792,000 for the next six years".... per AAS)

I think Reagan will eventually field.  I am not sure about his bat.  He needs to alter his approach to plate and learn how to take the ball the other way, imo.  Right now he pulls off everthing and can be easily retired with sliders and curves.

I am sort of sorry to see Neely go.  He has a live arm but basically only one pitch and it's straight.  There's a bit of herky jerky in his motion that for a big guy can make it hard to control the ball.  He can be developed into a good pitcher but it will take a lot of work.

4 hours ago, EZ$ said:

Not sure what to think of Ryan, he has it all but struggles being a dependable player, too inconsistent. Austin's swing will never be fixed while here, his BP swing is fantastic but in games his swing has a lot of holes. 

4 hours ago, torre said:

Don't think so.     Just my opinion,  but it seems by his comments/actions he should consider being more patient.    Result may be  better development especially with the pitching staff.  

As Goodman adeptly states above,  Pierce is very direct.    That's fine,  but confidence is a fragile thing in baseball.

My personal frailty is I don't like to see transfers. 

I kind of had that impression too, that he was maybe direct to a fault and perhaps a little icy.  Then again, there's stuff like Jake McKenzie playing every position in a game.  That kind of belies any iciness.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I kind of had that impression too, that he was maybe direct to a fault and perhaps a little icy.  Then again, there's stuff like Jake McKenzie playing every position in a game.  That kind of belies any iciness.

Not good to have people quit the team in middle of a season. Baker. Ridgeway. Others?

I've said it before and will again, Pierce is not developing the players.  He just cycles through players looking for someone to get hot.  That makes it very tough on the players to both develop and be consistent in games.  Players like Neely and Reagan are who we need to stick around and have breakout seasons in their 2nd or 3rd year.  That can't happen when you run them off.

53 minutes ago, Enfield said:

Not good to have people quit the team in middle of a season. Baker. Ridgeway. Others?

I'm torn on this, if Ridgeway had not left the team he probably could have pitched a few more times when it became a dumpster fire.  Unless the plan was to get a roster spot open for a catcher we were clearly going to need that weekend.

I'm not ready to say fuck david pierce, but fuck if that weekend was not when the wheels started to wobble...

23 minutes ago, txhorns said:

I've said it before and will again, Pierce is not developing the players.  He just cycles through players looking for someone to get hot.  That makes it very tough on the players to both develop and be consistent in games.  Players like Neely and Reagan are who we need to stick around and have breakout seasons in their 2nd or 3rd year.  That can't happen when you run them off.

After such a horrible finish to the 2019 season, not sure that Pierce has the luxury in Yr4 to retain many players that showed little improvement during the 2019 season. The roster needs a shake up to hopefully put some fire back on the team.  Pierce has to roll the dice this year and immediately flip a decent part of his current roster,  betting that by adding some new players it creates better success for the Horns in 2020.

Otherwise, Pierce may not get to keep his job at Texas after the 2020 season.

9 minutes ago, petscii said:

I'm torn on this, if Ridgeway had not left the team he probably could have pitched a few more times when it became a dumpster fire.  Unless the plan was to get a roster spot open for a catcher we were clearly going to need that weekend.

I'm not ready to say fuck david pierce, but fuck if that weekend was not when the wheels started to wobble...

For someone who has most of his friends on a team, etc... to just quit, indicates something more about the situation.

Henley being taken in the 7th makes me think he's got some real spin on his breaking ball.  I'm going to laugh my ass off if he's blowing people away in the Tri-Cities later this year after struggling to improve at all after two years with Pierce.

55 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Well Henley and Hamilton are both gone

I hope Henley can bring some of the fire to pro ball that he brought to his last start at home against OU.  Man, there was no way he going out on the losing end of that game...Wait...

On the other hand, he did pitch some pretty good games for us. It wasn't all bad, but I really thought he'd be a top-line starter this past year.