2020 Texas Baseball

zlavydra

9 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

I hope Henley can bring some of the fire to pro ball that he brought to his last start at home against OU.  Man, there was no way he going out on the losing end of that game...Wait...

On the other hand, he did pitch some pretty good games for us. It wasn't all bad, but I really thought he'd be a top-line starter this past year.

Henley is a good 3rd or 4th starter.  Problem is we needed him to be much more than that this year.

8 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I can’t imagine why Hamilton would come back. Why waste a year with pierce when you can get paid and actually develop, which they do care about in the minors. In college, it’s win baby win. 

We’re fucked proper if he signs. 

We still have Reagan. That gives us a little bit of hope.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Enfield said:

We still have Reagan. That gives us a little bit of hope.

Sarcasm??

If not.... Fyi Reagan just entered the portal....

#HookEm infielder Bryce Reagan now listed in NCAA Transfer Portal. More:  Jack Neely, and Nico O’Donnell also entered; Neely is transferring to San Jacinto
Edited by LTtxfan

3 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Brewers just took Hamilton in the 8th.

FQDdNnZ__bigger.jpg    Dustin McComas.    @DMcComasOB

Not a good development for Texas. Teams don't waste picks in the top 10 rounds. David Pierce was confident once season ended Hamilton would be back, but Brewers seem to think otherwise. We'll see
how it plays out. 

FQDdNnZ__bigger.jpg.    Dustin McComas.    @DMcComasOB

After 10 rounds of #MLBDraft, Brett Baty is the only #HookEm signee selected, as expected, which is good for Texas. Blair Henley picked in 7th round by #Astros. Big blow: David Hamilton picked in 8th round by #Brewers. I expect him to sign. Milwaukee has extra $ to use

Edited by LTtxfan

8 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Do we still have that transfer guy from directional Kentucky? I could see him turning this program around single-handedly, with said hand tied behind his back.

Bryson Smith. Hell yeah. He was impressive with the  4 plate appearances over 2 games this season. Had a HBP and a BB. 

He had 1 error in 8 chances as well. Steely.

Edited by Enfield

4 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Can he hit?

Here's some info on him. More of a pitcher/utility player.  

Sanson “Trey” Faltine III | RHP/UTIL | 6’2 | 195 | Fort Bend Travis

Like Jake McKenzie did at Texas in 2018, Faltine is capable of playing all nine positions and did so at Travis during his high school career.

“I would argue that Trey is the most versatile player in the country,” Allen said. “He has represented Team USA on several occasions and plays all over the field for them. He is very, very athletic and can really run. The great thing about him along with all his tools is how well he knows the game and much he loves to play. He is a very polished pitcher that is only going to improve his stuff as he continues to grow and add weight. He legitimately can play any position on the field, but I’m looking forward to see how well he does at shortstop when he shows up on campus.”

So consider Faltine another candidate to compete for the starting shortstop job with the potential to play third base and pitch, as well. Or he could fill an outfield spot if necessary. When someone can play all nine positions, there are a lot of possibilities.

Here’s the scouting report on Faltine:

Strong two-way talent who hasn’t defined himself positionally yet. 6.53 runner, has very athletic actions in the middle infield with soft hands out front and plenty of arm strength across the diamond, light on his feet and very balanced. Right handed hitter, hits from narrow base with a static load in back, rotational swing with a middle of the field contact approach, has the athleticism to improve as a hitter. Up tempo delivery on the mound, long arm action with good arm speed, stays on line well. Fastball topped out at 92 mph with good cutting action at times. Very good feel for spinning the ball, threw just a curveball this outing but has shown slider potential in the past, nice sinking change up, has a feel for spotting and changing speeds.

“Right handed hitter, hits from narrow base with a static load in back, rotational swing with a middle of the field contact approach, has theathleticism to improve as ahitter.”

going off of what video I’ve seen and of what scouting report posted by @bschoolprof. Trey has a simple swing. He moves his hands a little before he begins the loading process but not too much.  Load is simple as it gets, hands have linear path while loading but everything else seems to be rotational with his weight being in his back leg. Note: I think he has a mixture of rotational and linear swing. With his front foot; pick up-put down with a slight pause. 

His freshman year will probably be like Hamilton’s freshman year of hitting. So,  Trey’s got work to do but if he can get into the sub 6.5 area then him and Kennedy would be a nice 1-2 punch in the lineup. 

15 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Can he hit?

"If he's a good hitter, why doesn't he hit good?"   

On Perez:  " Got an ugly girlfriend."   "What's that mean??   "Ugly girlfriend means no confidence."  "I'm just saying.... his girlfriend is a 6 at best."  😁  

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Hamilton leaving may be a bit of a death knell for ol DP.

Doesn't help.... But definitely makes sense if Hamilton decides to sign as an 8th Rd selection with Milwaukee since Brewers have extra $'s they can use to sign him.

An 8th Rd selection for David after an achilles injury is pretty good...

Edited by LTtxfan

13 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Seems like there would be a lot of upside potential if he came back from the injury and had a good year at UT.

It will come down to 2 things in this order...

1. How much the Brewers will pay.

2. How much he trusts Pierce to help him develop.

30 minutes ago, txhorns said:

It will come down to 2 things in this order...

1. How much the Brewers will pay.

2. How much he trusts Pierce to help him develop.

I think number 2 is a bit of a stretch. From freshman to sophomore year his development was great. His junior year was going to be an even better one and probably would have been in the 4th to 5th, maybe 3rd round range in the draft this year. He was picked in the 8th with an achilles injury, so that says a lot about his development overall. 

With that said, imo, number 2 should be if he trust his repaired achilles enough to keep that low 6.4 speed and come off the injury without skipping a beat. Next year he’ll get drafted earlier and get more money. But if he doesn’t trust it then he should take the 8th round gig and go. Money talks first like you said and the brewers see that if can comeback from his injury in the minors then the 8th round pick would be a steal. 

• Like 1

I never thought Hamilton had a chance of staying regardless of what Pierce or anyone else said. The kid has too much talent.  Hamilton is probably close to his degree. He needs to get in the weight room and start seeing good minor league pitching asap.   I don't see kids getting any bigger or stronger under Pierce.  of course Hamilton would improve next year but it isn't the best use of his time.

Reynolds would be stupid not to go.  He has hit his ceiling IMO and won't have any leverage(as small as it is)next year.

I'd be thrilled to see Hamilton back.  Would like to have Reynolds back but it would be damning on Pierce if we can't replace his output even if the D goes down a bit.

24 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

of course Hamilton would improve next year but it isn't the best use of his time.

I think the argument could be made for stay or leave. I also believe if he stays it is a good use of time. He sat around this year and got drafted in the 8th round. Think if he didn’t get hurt, where he could have been drafted. He hit 291 last year, next year if he stayed his average will go up and that’s only 1 of many already good stats that’ll probably go up. Plus we really didn’t have a leader on the field so he can also become a better leader that will only help his draft stock more. 

Personally I would risk it and try to get paid more next year but that’s me and I’ve never messed up my achilles. It’s just where he projects himself in the future that’ll be a big factor in making the decision. 

15 hours ago, dcar00 said:

.  Would like to have Reynolds back but it would be damning on Pierce if we can't replace his output even if the D goes down a bit.

Yeah, Reynolds is about as average an offensive player as you can get.  

14 hours ago, DoneWithit said:

I think the argument could be made for stay or leave. I also believe if he stays it is a good use of time. He sat around this year and got drafted in the 8th round. Think if he didn’t get hurt, where he could have been drafted. He hit 291 last year, next year if he stayed his average will go up and that’s only 1 of many already good stats that’ll probably go up. Plus we really didn’t have a leader on the field so he can also become a better leader that will only help his draft stock more. 

Personally I would risk it and try to get paid more next year but that’s me and I’ve never messed up my achilles. It’s just where he projects himself in the future that’ll be a big factor in making the decision. 

What Rd in MLB draft was Hamilton projected to go before his achilles injury??

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

What Rd in MLB draft was Hamilton projected to go before his achilles injury??

Idk honestly but Baseball America had him as the 23rd ranked prospect in Texas. That includes high school and college players. Out high school, DH was drafted by the angels in the 16th round. 

3 hours ago, DoneWithit said:

Idk honestly but Baseball America had him as the 23rd ranked prospect in Texas. That includes high school and college players. Out high school, DH was drafted by the angels in the 16th round. 

http://m.mlb.com/draft/tracker/#!ft=round&fv=30

Seemed high,   so double checked.   Actually,  28th rd.   No personal offense intended. 

David's Dad is very knowledgeable and influential.    They will evaluate and make a proper decision.  

David is an excellent ball player with excellent athleticism that scouts have followed a long time.    Not sure he has more to prove at the college level or how his family ponders the possibility of an increased signing bonus.     Also,  their feelings toward the Brewers' organization.

Edited by torre

1 hour ago, torre said:

http://m.mlb.com/draft/tracker/#!ft=round&fv=30

Seemed high,   so double checked.   Actually,  28th rd.   No personal offense intended. 

David's Dad is very knowledgeable and influential.    They will evaluate and make a proper decision.  

David is an excellent ball player with excellent athleticism that scouts have followed a long time.    Not sure he has more to prove at the college level or how his family ponders the possibility of an increased signing bonus.     Also,  their feelings toward the Brewers' organization.

Yeah i must have read the year and missed the round. 

22 hours ago, Horny Bull said:

It’ll be nice to have him, DJ and Peters competing for the starting spot. If Peters or DJ loses out, I’d love to see either of em at 1st. Or Bertelson. Idk what that guys deal is. He seems like the kind of guy who would hit like .260 with 8 or so bombs. Why he wasn’t starting ahead of Shaw is beyond me. Though Shaw was to Pierce what Haines was to Charlie, I guess. 

Having guys like Neely and Reagan transferring fucking sucks. The best part about those Augie teams from 02-09 was our back ups would be guys like Thigpen, Seth Johnston, Nick Peoples, etc. stick around then blow up as sophomores or juniors. Reagan looked pretty decent at the plate but was totally mind fucked out in the field. 

Well, if Hamilton comes back, we should be somewhat loaded. Id love our top of the lineup being something like Hamilton-Ellis-Kennedy with DJ or Peters batting cleanup. It’d be nice if Zubia could get it going again but we’ll see. 

Pitching wise, on paper we’re somewhat loaded. I wonder how much of their meltdown was them just being young or just nervous as fuck that McCann was gonna allow a passed ball or they’d put the ball in play just for Hibbeler or whomever to airmail one to first or just boot it or whatever. 

Christ we need to just focus on basic fielding and hitting fundamentals. How many games did we just give away due to errors or passed balls or any of that shit?

I like Pierce a lot and I think he’s a good coach. With that being said, his main goal should be fundamentals; almost to the point where it’s what they are doing 70% of the time in offseason. Pitching feeds off a great defense and the Texas pitchers had way to much weight on their shoulders. Do the little things right and the big things take care of themselves. That’s what Augie’s best teams did and the ‘20 roster should focus on perfecting it. 

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

It’ll be nice to have him, DJ and Peters competing for the starting spot. If Peters or DJ loses out, I’d love to see either of em at 1st. Or Bertelson. Idk what that guys deal is. He seems like the kind of guy who would hit like .260 with 8 or so bombs. Why he wasn’t starting ahead of Shaw is beyond me. Though Shaw was to Pierce what Haines was to Charlie, I guess. 

Having guys like Neely and Reagan transferring fucking sucks. The best part about those Augie teams from 02-09 was our back ups would be guys like Thigpen, Seth Johnston, Nick Peoples, etc. stick around then blow up as sophomores or juniors. Reagan looked pretty decent at the plate but was totally mind fucked out in the field. 

Well, if Hamilton comes back, we should be somewhat loaded. Id love our top of the lineup being something like Hamilton-Ellis-Kennedy with DJ or Peters batting cleanup. It’d be nice if Zubia could get it going again but we’ll see. 

Pitching wise, on paper we’re somewhat loaded. I wonder how much of their meltdown was them just being young or just nervous as fuck that McCann was gonna allow a passed ball or they’d put the ball in play just for Hibbeler or whomever to airmail one to first or just boot it or whatever. 

Christ we need to just focus on basic fielding and hitting fundamentals. How many games did we just give away due to errors or passed balls or any of that shit?

Interesting point about McCann.  Having a saltier veteran catcher can make a huge difference even with experienced pitchers. 

Also, Collin Shaw was a fairly important piece of the last couple of teams, and also a better player, apparently, than Tate.  I would guess that Pierce saw some Collin in his brother and hoped he maybe would step into what appears to have been and remained all year a leadership vacuum.

Edited by TwiceHorn

22 hours ago, DoneWithit said:

I'll take the other side on the decision... DH should go pro now (assuming Brewers give him a reasonable offer)

• Avoids risk of another college injury
  • Gets paid
  • Should get better coaching immediately
  • If he succeeds, he might get his 1st MLB contract a year earlier
  • Speeds up his timeline to the "Show"

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I'll take the other side on the decision... DH should go pro now (assuming Brewers give him a reasonable offer)

• Avoids risk of another college injury
  • Gets paid
  • Should get better coaching immediately
  • If he succeeds, he might get his 1st MLB contract a year earlier
  • Speeds up his timeline to the "Show"

This is a completely fair reasoning and like I said the argument could be made for both sides. The staying option is a bigger risk but I think the reward would be higher for next years draft. He has till like July 15 to make his decision, so he has plenty of time to make a decision. 

6 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

This is a completely fair reasoning and like I said the argument could be made for both sides. The staying option is a bigger risk but I think the reward would be higher for next years draft. He has till like July 15 to make his decision, so he has plenty of time to make a decision. 

giphy.gif

Best of luck in the future to Brett Baty:

ROUND ROCK — The Brett Baty Era at Lake Travis ended one game too early.

The Cavalier senior pitcher battled to the end, but when he was replaced on the mound in the sixth, the game — and the season — came tumbling down. Southlake Carroll roughed up Lake Travis relief pitching with four runs in the seventh inning to earn a 6-2 victory in a Class 6A semifinal at the UIL State Baseball Championships Friday night at Dell Diamond.

His high school chapter now closed, the first-round draft choice of the New York Mets can look forward to a long, lucrative career in the majors.

“Playing here at the Dell has been a dream of mine since I was a kid,” Baty said after superintendent Brad Lancaster draped a bronze medal around his neck. “It’s a little tough knowing this is my last game (at Lake Travis). ... Baseball is about to become a job. I’m thankful we got to (play at state) in my senior year. I couldn’t be more proud of my team.”

https://www.statesman.com/sports/20190608/lake-travis-falls-to-southlake-carroll-in-6a-state-semifinals