2020 Texas Baseball

zlavydra

29 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I'm not getting my hopes up.  I'll hold off on the "2020 Longhorns Baseball" necktat.  The 2019 one I got last year may have been a mistake.  

I’m setting mine at top 4ish in conference. Pretty much what we did in 2014 minus the run. So pretty much be in every game, beat some teams we’re not supposed to, lose to some weren’t not supposed to. Patchwork kind of gritty line up. Runs up pitch counts and shit. 3-4 pretty reliable arms then a crapshoot after them.

So yeah. Top 3-5th in conference. 2 seed in the Arizona or whatever regional with a microscopic chance at hosting. Then just see what happens. Baseball Gods have a  weird way of rewarding or punishing you for the weirdest shit. Based on the last 10 years, we’re due for that baseball miracle voodoo shit. Just have that attitude, dudes. With the way football is going and basketball is looking, maybe DP pulls a rabbit out of his ass. 

22 hours ago, Fletch said:

I’m setting mine at top 4ish in conference. Pretty much what we did in 2014 minus the run. So pretty much be in every game, beat some teams we’re not supposed to, lose to some weren’t not supposed to. Patchwork kind of gritty line up. Runs up pitch counts and shit. 3-4 pretty reliable arms then a crapshoot after them.

So yeah. Top 3-5th in conference. 2 seed in the Arizona or whatever regional with a microscopic chance at hosting. Then just see what happens. Baseball Gods have a  weird way of rewarding or punishing you for the weirdest shit. Based on the last 10 years, we’re due for that baseball miracle voodoo shit. Just have that attitude, dudes. With the way football is going and basketball is looking, maybe DP pulls a rabbit out of his ass. 

Well, the lack of responses here are kinda telling, eh?

Wow, Boise State and New Mexico?  Whah?  

Actually, CSU-Fullerton and Houston Tourney are gonna be awesome.  But our team has so far to go.  Arizona and A&M as mid-week games are pretty cool.  It's not a bad schedule like basketball, but not a great schedule either.  We're just so far behind again in baseball, I don't know what to think yet.  Need to see some Fall World Series.  Have they announced the start times for those games???

Edited by Lobo

I'll be at the Rice series and the Houston tourney, and will probably go to the Cal State Fullerton series.  If we don't suck, big if, I'll probably take my daughter to the saggy game.  I thinking I might go to the Big 12 tourney this year, if we qualify,  depending on what our chances a a regional are.

I know it's a couple weeks off, but when somebody on twitter learns of the gametimes for the Fall World Series on 16 & 17 November, please post 'em.  Would like to take the kids.  

3 minutes ago, MoJames said:

So from someone who isn't following baseball recruiting intently, how many of these guys won't ever play for Texas and instead will go pro?

A few of them certainly will never wear a Longhorn uni come next fall ball season.  

This is the same thing that bit Augie in the later days of his coaching career and the thing that sucks is you have to wait until June to find out which means it's too late to go back and ask some players who were passed over if they would like to come to Texas because they've already signed on elsewhere.   We know a family who had a son a few years ago sign on with the Horns during the signing period and he was listed in Baseball America and the other publications as going a lower 1st round or anywhere in the 2nd round.   The only way he was going to Austin is if he got picked in the 3rd round by a couple of organizations who were total dog shit back then and still to some extent are today.    Why coaches waste their time and resources on signing kids like the Kelley kid is just dumb strategy other than it looks good in the media.  That one class this kid  noted  above  was in had I think six or seven  more kids who never wore a UT baseball uni, so it left Augie scrambling for kids they should have made offers for in the first place.  Those types end up at places like Tech and look how much their baseball program has improved.   

• Like 3

On 11/6/2019 at 10:20 AM, tx 3 putt said:

UT @ AM CC (I’ll assume whataburger field And not cabanis) is a damn great time. I highly recommend that road trip. 

Always brings out the best crowd for an A&M CC game.  Most of their games save a handful are played on campus.

And yes they serve up Whataburger, at slightly higher prices .

Maybe I'm just in a shitty mood because of the football game but signing the number one class in baseball means absolutely nothing. They're just more players that will get drafted high next spring and who will never set foot on campus. We'll be left with players that teams that actually win in college baseball didn't recruit and we'll be lucky to finish .500 in the conference. 

• Like 1

Maybe I'm just in a shitty mood because of the football game but signing the number one class in baseball means absolutely nothing. They're just more players that will get drafted high next spring and who will never set foot on campus. We'll be left with players that teams that actually win in college baseball didn't recruit and we'll be lucky to finish .500 in the conference. 

We’re Texas?

Well, as mentioned elesewhere, Harmon used to fulfill his recruiting duties with 1-2-3 superstars that were sure to be drafted and sign and then fill the class with jags from Centex.  That didn't work out very well.  Anyone that could sign usually did, so we ended up with jags.  (This is late-stage Harmon. he was pretty damn good most of his career at Texas).

Then TNic came along and got really skilled, smallish defensive players, apparently in keeping with Augie's paradigm player.  Most of those guys didn't "project," so they didn't sign.  And they also didn't hit.

There's a happy medium in there somewhere and it would appear that Tadlock and Schlossnagle, among locals, have it closer to figured out than we do, for now.

I do like the fact that we are going out of state quite a bit.  That shows some effort.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 3

Hopefully someone gets with Ellis and fixes his steadily deteriorating spin-out swing of last year into a balanced attack that leads to more success than the last half of last year.(looking at you new GA assistant coach former Colorado Rockies star)