2020 Texas Baseball

zlavydra

4 hours ago, troph said:

Please Christmas baby Jesus may we please have a really good team this year. It’s all I really want for Christmas.

Dear left-handed, five-tool baby Jesus...please let us make the postseason this season.  

I’m guessing we do. This’ll probably be similar to DP’s first year. Hopefully he can pull a 2017 and turn a scrappy group of rag tags into a conference winning, CWS type team. Last time we finished last in conference, we did pretty well the next year so fingers crossed I guess

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

2020 D1 Baseball Poll:

Something is missing here:

1. Louisville
2. Vanderbilt
3. Miami
4. Florida
5. Georgia

6. Texas Tech
7. Arkansas
8. Auburn

9. Arizona State
10. Mississippi State
11. LSU

12. Florida State
13. Michigan
14. UCLA
15. Duke
16. NC State
17. Stanford
18. Wake Forest
19. Georgia Tech
20. Texas A&M
21. East Carolina
22. Oklahoma State
23. North Carolina
24. Oklahoma
25. Ole Miss

A line item that says our first to worst nosedive last year was unprecedented in Texas history but now par for the course of an apathetic athletic department and fanbase that thinks Omaha & Hardware is the working title for a Builder's Square corporate comeback?  At least baseball writers know enough about their sport to not automatically write us into every pre-season poll only to watch us piss it away.  I think we're certainly better than we were last year, how can we not be?  But I think a top-half conference finish and road bid to a regional is about the best we can hope for until we get some more experience.  

That said, where the fuck are the game times?  

https://twitter.com/TexasBaseball?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author 

Huston's number (25) was retired today.   Congratulations ! 

Nice short vid on twitter that perhaps someone more adept can embed.   

"I'm not going to let someone else get better than me … Greatness is just doing one good thing over and over again..."

They got big names too. 

Former major league third baseman and ex-White Sox manager Robin Ventura has resurfaced at Oklahoma State as a student assistant, per Kendall Rogers of D1baseball.com. The Cowboys’ staff now boasts him and fellow former big leaguer Matt Holliday, whose brother, Josh Holliday, manages the team. The 52-year-old Ventura hasn’t coached in the majors since the White Sox let him go after the 2016 season. Ventura’s name came up when the Mets were seeking a manager in 2017, but he reportedly didn’t have interest in the position.

Just as a public service message, single game Rice baseball tickets for the Texas series don't go on sale until Feb 3rd.  However, they offer a 3 game mini package that is on sale now along with their season tickets and you can make all three Texas games the mini package.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Like 1

AUSTIN, Texas – Texas Baseball is set to host its Annual Fan Appreciation Day and Alumni Game on Saturday, February 1, at 3:30 p.m. at UFCU Disch-Falk Field. Fan Appreciation festivities get started at 10:30 a.m. and the Alumni Game follows with a 3:30 p.m. first pitch.

Gates will open at 10 a.m. and fans can begin lining up for the autograph session inside the newly opened J. Dan Brown Player Development Center. Following the autograph session, kids will have the opportunity to run the bases starting at 11 a.m. The stadium will be cleared at noon and re-open to the public beginning at 1:30 p.m. Parking will be free in the East Campus Garage for all fans.

Season schedule posters and a 2020 Texas Baseball pennant provided by UFCU will available for autographs (while supplies last). Due to NCAA compliance issues, outside items may not be brought in for autographs. Any item provided by Texas Athletics is for personal use only and is not intended for sale.

The alumni are expected to play four innings with current Texas Baseball players pitching for both sides. The final innings will consist of current Texas Baseball players facing off in intrasquad action. Also note, not all alumni present in uniform at UFCU Disch-Falk Field will participate in gameplay. The annual Alumni Game is televised by the Longhorn Network beginning at 3:30 p.m.

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS (subject to change)
10:00 a.m.: Gates open
10:30-11:30 a.m.: Autograph session inside J. Dan Brown Family Player Development Center
11:30 a.m.: Kids run the bases
Noon: Fan Appreciation festivities end and stadium cleared
1:30 p.m.: Gates re-open
1:40 p.m.: Texas batting practice
2:25 p.m.: Alumni batting practice
3:00 p.m.: Texas infield
3:20 p.m.: Alumni introductions
3:30 p.m.: First Pitch

ACTIVE ALUMNI IN ATTENDANCE (subject to change)
Tres Barrera (catcher, Washington Nationals)
Kacy Clemens (first base, Toronto Blue Jays)
Kody Clemens (second base, Detroit Tigers)
Ty Culbreth (pitcher, Colorado Rockies)
Zane Gurwitz (infielder, Los Angeles Angels)
Blair Henley (pitcher, Houston Astros)
Travis Jones (infielder, Kansas City Royals)
Andy McGuire (pitcher/utility, Toronto Blue Jays)
Mark Payton (outfielder, Oakland Athletics)
Ryan Reynolds (infielder, Chicago Cubs)
Parker Joe Robinson (pitcher, Los Angeles Angels)
Chase Shugart (pitcher, Boston Red Sox)

https://texassports.com/news/2020/1/23/baseball-alumni-game-set-for-feb-1.aspx

I was really looking forward to taking my oldest to this next week but I won't get back into town until around 5:00p.

Speaking of schedules, nothing on the main website but if any of y'all see any of our home gametimes posted on social media or whatever, would you put it here por favor?  thanks

Hamate injuries are quite common in baseball caused by high, compression forces during a swing (see below article).  CJ Hinojosa dealt with the same.   As McComas states,  full strength may take time.

Though he brings power at the plate,    I am excited to see Duplantier pitch. 

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2014/5/2/5672834/hamate-fractures-and-power-in-the-pitchfx-era

Hamate bone fractures are one of the more common upper extremity injuries seen in baseball, not only due to the abundance of occasional wayward pitches or foul tips striking a glancing blow to the area, but also due to where hitters position their hands on the bat, which can introduce repetitive, high compression forces on the bone during a swing, but in particular, during a checked swing. Along with the forces and motions mentioned, the hook-like protrusion of the bone—also called the hamulus or hook of hamate— and certain vascular features make the hamate (lettered 'H' in the image below) predisposed to injury.

Tickets for the game @ Houston are available via the Houston Cougar box office. You have to call to do any kind of seat selection.  I got mine.

Tickets for the game @ Whataburger field are not on sale yet.  They said they'd reach out when they post. 

19 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Pro tip.  Subscribe to the google calendar on your phone or wherever and you'll have gametimes updated whenever.

Click on "add to calendar" at the top of the schedule.

Yes, that's true.  But also by doing that...you get gametimes as fast as the Yellow Pages.  I used your technique, and all it gave me were the three games in Houston for the tourney.  I used my technique and now I know when the opening week of home games will be held so I can plan accordingly.  Don't get me wrong, no pride of authorship.  I just want to know gametimes.  

3 hours ago, 66BUFF said:

roster down to 38

Best of luck in the future to the players that were cut.  (if correct comparing to Fall roster)

Bryce Reagan, IF (Soph)

Turner Gauntt,  C (RS Soph)

Chase Roberts, OF (Soph)

Tanner Haney, IF (Freshman)

Grayson Lembcke, IF (Soph)

Check my figures,  I count 21 pitchers including Fields and Duplantier who also are position players.   Normally carry 15-17,  so next cuts may be pitchers. 

If Duplantier has any of his brother's genes (Diamondbacks) we will have something.

Edited by torre