2020 Texas Baseball

zlavydra

3 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Hitting numbers are down in college baseball from 20 years ago.  A lot of that has to do with the NCAA deadening the bats to reduce the hitting to more normal numbers.  So no more 20-18 games.

There were not very many "20-18" games in the era I am talking about. You are thinking of those CWS years where LSU and several other teams were roided up and jacking all of the time.

I remember line ups in the 70's, 80's and early 90's when we had guys that could hit. 

Probably missed it, but didn't see the article posted

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2020-big-12-conference-college-baseball-preview/

not a particularly fun/hopeful read unfortunately

5. Texas (27-27, 7-16)

Just about everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong for Texas last year, leading to a last-place finish in the league. It’s extremely difficult to imagine the Longhorns struggling to a similar extent in 2020. Outfield will be a unit of strength for Texas, what with the return of seniors Duke Ellis (.266/.411/.330) and Austin Todd (.256/.344/.374), plus sophomore Eric Kennedy (.310/.382/.418), who led the team in hitting last season. D.J. Petrinsky (.256/.310/.385) is back behind the plate after missing all of last season with a shoulder injury, making that a position of strength also. First baseman Zach Zubia (.252/.385/.405) has big-time raw power and improvements athletically have allowed him to get onto the field and out of the designated hitter spot. Behind junior Bryce Elder (2-4, 2.93) in the rotation and Kamron Fields (4.26, 3 SV) at the back of the bullpen, Texas will be leaning on a number of relatively unproven pitchers, including sophomores Ty Madden (4-1, 3.40), Kolby Kubichek (0-1, 6.50) and Mason Bryant (1-1, 11.32), and freshman Pete Hansen. If some of those young pitchers become stars, the ceiling for this team is Omaha. If there are significant growing pains again, either from those pitchers or the freshmen position players, however, it might be a struggle to get back to the postseason.

6 hours ago, txhorns said:

Hitting numbers are down in college baseball from 20 years ago.  A lot of that has to do with the NCAA deadening the bats to reduce the hitting to more normal numbers.  So no more 20-18 games.

I always thought the answer to this problem was better pitching 

9 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

There were not very many "20-18" games in the era I am talking about. You are thinking of those CWS years where LSU and several other teams were roided up and jacking all of the time.

I remember line ups in the 70's, 80's and early 90's when we had guys that could hit. 

I'd say 2010 was the last year we had hitters who could inspire some fear in opposing pitchers. That's without looking at stats.

23 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

What happened with Burbank? Someone mentioned that he performed well in the summer league.  I guess it's nothing to worry about because we have so many proven LHP's on the roster...

Don't know,  he had a good summer in the Cal Ripken League.

Roster is at 35.    Did not realize we have 4 LHP (Walbridge, Wallace, Hansen, Lummus) all Freshmen.    AAS has stated Hansen looks good. (Calif guy).   Lummus'  Dad pitched for Gus in the early 90's, iirc.

Carrying 5 catchers (Petrinsky, Powell, Constantine, Peter, Ardoin) and 19 pitchers,  including Duplantier.

https://texassports.com/sports/baseball/roster

3 minutes ago, Horny Bull said:

Bertelson did not make the cut.

I find that to be a bit of a shock.  When given the opportunity, Son of Bertel tended to hit the ball pretty damn hard when he managed to get aluminum on it.  Displayed some decent glove ability as well.  If he's not good enough to make the roster, i guess we can interpret that as an overall increase in talent.

21 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

I find that to be a bit of a shock.  When given the opportunity, Son of Bertel tended to hit the ball pretty damn hard when he managed to get aluminum on it.  Displayed some decent glove ability as well.  If he's not good enough to make the roster, i guess we can interpret that as an overall increase in talent.

This is how I prefer to see it.  The new guys must have made quite an impression.

2 hours ago, zlavydra said:

Agree,  especially since he is an option at 1B or 3B.   Perhaps one of the five catchers besides Petrinsky is also an option.

Bertelson was high school valedictorian, ME major,  so maybe he stays and will be the 36th man like Turner Gauntt was last year.    This seems to be a well balanced roster but concern is always with injuries,  especially in the infield.

Interesting no preseason mention of Cam Williams,  the SS transfer from San Jac.     Anyone see him perform in the Alumni Game  ?  I was not able to attend or see broadcast.     

Five games in the next 7 days means we're going to see just about every pitcher on the roster rather quickly, I would think.  Cobb really needs to go deeper into games if he's going to hang on as the Sunday guy - same issue as last year.  All in all this Rice series was quite encouraging, apart from Fields' second inning (didn't see the bottom of the 9th today).  

32 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Does anyone know why Quintanilla was not given a chance to start this season?  Is he just not capable of maintaining his stuff/command for 80-100 pitches in a single outing?

Allen said in his radio interview last week that they had stretched him out a bit in the preseason. He may get a look down the road.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I still haven't figured out how to get LHN after PSVue folded.  It really sucks that it's not on ESPN+.  If it was they would get my money.  I  thought I was going to be able to use the ex's ATT login, but apparently she's too cheap to get the package that includes it.

Sling! 

While I really miss PSVue's record-every-got-damn-baseball-game-ever feature... Sling is less glitchy, so I dont have to worry about it ruining games for me by going live like PSVue often did. 

1 hour ago, TankedBevo said:

I must have missed that Bryce Reagan is no longer on the team. What the hell happened there?

Bryce did not play well in the field and at the plate when given the task to replace Hamilton.   Replaced by Hibbeler at SS.

He transferred to Arizona after the season,  however,  he is not on their roster.   May have to sit out the year due to transfer.   We play Arizona at the Disch on Tues, 3 Mar.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, torre said:

Bryce did not play well in the field and at the plate when given the task to replace Hamilton.   Replaced by Hibbeler at SS.

He transferred to Arizona after the season,  however,  he is not on their roster.   May have to sit out the year due to transfer.   We play Arizona at the Disch on Tues, 3 Mar.  

Damn, he was much ballyhoo'd coming out of high school but now that you mention it I do remember Hibbs getting in a ton instead. 

7 hours ago, B00M said:

Sling! 

While I really miss PSVue's record-every-got-damn-baseball-game-ever feature... Sling is less glitchy, so I dont have to worry about it ruining games for me by going live like PSVue often did. 

I use Sling with Chromecast and it is strugg-a-ling big time with pixelation, etc. Picture quality is often horrible for stretches. Anybody else experiencing the same? 

9 minutes ago, TornACL said:

I use Sling with Chromecast and it is strugg-a-ling big time with pixelation, etc. Picture quality is often horrible for stretches. Anybody else experiencing the same? 

Sure it’s not your internet connection? 

26 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Occassionally it will freeze (screen goes black) but if I wait 3-5 seconds it resumes no problem. Even rarer Sling will close, but when you restart, whatever you were watching resumes where you were. I've never seen the pixelation. Time Warner internet with Sling over Wi-Fi thru Fire TV and fire sticks

Edited by B00M

3 hours ago, Fletch said:

Fuckin awesome seeing the new faces provide some pop. Also loved seeing some fire and intensity throughout the weekend. 

Any word on who’s starting against UTSA? Kubichek? Bryant? 

In case anyone else was concerned, it looks like Nico is at Fresno St.