2020 Texas Baseball

zlavydra

2 hours ago, Rynosauri said:

I don't usually expect much from our fan base on the weekday games, but it felt a little bit louder for not a big crowd. I put that on everyone trying to drown out the UTSA guys behind home plate, but it was still nice to see.

I would pay good money for someone to actually drown DDA. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Here's some Boise info:  https://broncosports.com/news/2020/2/19/boise-state-baseball-is-back-on-the-road-to-texas.aspx

Lots of JUCO guys on the roster, and they're throwing 2 lefties at us this weekend.

This is kid is amazing: https://broncosports.com/sports/baseball/roster/grant-kerry/7215

Hometown: Wynyard, England

Played Australian Rules football at Wesley College in Perth, Australia

Played for the Lethbridge (Alberta) Bulls of the Western Canadian Baseball League

And ended up playing rightfield for Boise State in their inaugural season

tenor.gif

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Goodman said:

What options do we have at 2nd base in case Collins can't hit? 

Cam Williams looks solid at the plate and can play a good 3rd base, I can see him taking over after this weekend.

Lance Ford, I guess. Started most of last year, but hasn't seen the field in the first 5 games.

On 2/19/2020 at 9:13 AM, B00M said:

Yeah Fozzzzzz you satisfied? Maybe he's the mid week starter moving forward with an opportunity to steal a weekend spot.

It's a start.

Needs to throw more first pitch strikes but 14% SwStr% after facing 18 batters is very impressive.

Edited by Fozzz
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

It's a start.

Needs to throw more first pitch strikes but 14% SwStr% after facing 18 batters is very impressive.

Something isn't adding up here. 70 pitches minus 31 strikes minus 24 balls = 15 undefined pitches ... I would assume this would be pitches put into play + fouled off but it says contact was made on 22 with 11 balls put into play... 

Obligatory

tenor.gif

8 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I believe that I have been forced to eat crow on my evaluation after his first three innings of play

Don’t worry, you weren’t alone. The Bryce Reagan experiment last year was the baseball equivalent of Gilbert in 2010. Apparently that issue has been fixed, but I’m still shell shocked from last years SS play 

Love that Coach gave Cam a chance to win 3B, he deserves it. Nice to see Kennedy have some great at bats and not miss the meatball when he gets it. Still worried about 2B. Think Payton Powell needs to be in the lineup when the team faces a RH starter, he has a great approach at the plate. 

I'm already concerned at Zubia jumping/guessing at the ball again, need him to trust his ability and stay/get confident. When he trusts his hands, he is above average.

Edited by Goodman

1 hour ago, Goodman said:

Love that Coach gave Cam a chance to win 3B, he deserves it. Nice to see Kennedy have some great at bats and not miss the meatball when he gets it. Still worried about 2B. Think Payton Powell needs to be in the lineup when the team faces a RH starter, he has a great approach at the plate. 

I'm already concerned at Zubia jumping/guessing at the ball again, need him to trust his ability and stay/get confident. When he trusts his hands, he is above average.

Yeah what I saw from Cam yesterday showed me he's really our 3B right now and a star very soon. What I saw today made me realize he might be a star right now.

Left side of the infield looks very, very solid for a while...

9 hours ago, wood said:

Yeah what I saw from Cam yesterday showed me he's really our 3B right now and a star very soon. What I saw today made me realize he might be a star right now.

Left side of the infield looks very, very solid for a while...

Good story on Cam. (excerpts)

The switch hitter actually called his shot.

“Yeah, I told a few of my teammates,” he said. “I asked the Lord to let me do what I can do, and I did exactly what I came here to do.”

This guy doesn’t lack for confidence. Or unselfishness. Or zeal, if you saw the way he raced around the basepaths, throwing fist pumps en route.

At 6 feet 2 and 195 pounds, he’s built like a linebacker, but he’s strictly a baseball player. He’s an older player — Zubia said the team calls him “Uncle” because he’s older than most as a redshirt junior — who plays the game with the joy of a 6-year-old. But that’s about how long he’s coveted a Longhorn uniform since the day he told his father he wanted to only play baseball.

The son of former major leaguer Reggie Williams wears the same No. 55 as his dad, who played four seasons for the Angels and Dodgers. 

He can’t remember another walk-off homer in his career, but he did hit eight long balls for San Jacinto College last season and played for Dallas Baptist before that after a stellar high school career for a Class 7A state champion in Odessa, Fla.

“This is an unbelievable place,” he said of UT. “You see Texas on the cover of video games. It doesn’t get any better.”

Williams, however, will. He’s an embarrassingly hard worker — so much, in fact, that Pierce almost wishes he’d cut down on his own load management.

“He’s probably the most strenuous worker on the team. Him, Murph, Trey (Faltine), (Brenden) Dixon,” Pierce said. “He leads the league there.”

Pierce still recalls the time in offseason workouts when he was watching from the warm inside of the Brown Player Development Center. “It’s raining. In the 30s. And Cam’s taking ground balls out there and throwing them into the first base net. That tells you something.”

https://www.hookem.com/columns/bohls-cam-comes-keep-texas-unbeaten/

• Like 1

Cheap CSF tickets.   Deadline 5PM, 25 Feb.     Use promo code TEXAS48 to take advantage of this offer!

http://texassports.fan-one.com/nl/jsp/m.jsp?c=%40BllS0TTlMoHgqqr%2BKfUdNBogh5xWUDPyDbeYV7ZVnqQ%3D

LONGHORNS ON FIRE!

Texas Baseball goes to 8-0 for its best start since 2009 and #4 Texas Softball improves to 15-1! Cheer on both teams by purchasing tickets to upcoming marquee games with this 48-hour flash sale!

#4 Softball vs. #11 Louisiana (DH)
Tuesday, Feb. 25 at 4:30 p.m./7 p.m.
$3 General Admission tickets*

Baseball vs. #24 Cal State Fullerton
Friday, March 6 at 6:30 p.m.
Saturday, March 7 at 2 p.m.
Sunday, March 8 at 1:30 p.m.
$7 General Admission tickets*