2020 Texas Baseball

zlavydra

10 hours ago, torre said:

“He’s probably the most strenuous worker on the team. Him, Murph, Trey (Faltine), (Brenden) Dixon,” Pierce said. “He leads the league there.”

So four new guys are already the hardest working players on the team? 

That might explain some things about last year. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

So the three weekend games at Minute Maid will be on something called AT&T Sportsnet.  I’ve had about every free trial there is and can’t recall ever seeing it.  Cord cutters might be out of luck. 

fuboTV has free trial but I used up that one just to try 4K broadcast of superbowl (was not good).

11 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

So the three weekend games at Minute Maid will be on something called AT&T Sportsnet.  I’ve had about every free trial there is and can’t recall ever seeing it.  Cord cutters might be out of luck. 

Probably unrealistic but wish the LHN would broadcast a few select road games each year, like this tournament, and live up to it’s name.

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

8-0 and we're not ranked?  Have we just played crap teams so far?

2 weeks from now we should know what to expect. Sam Houston st, LSU, Arkansas, mizzou, Arizona then a weekend series against Fullerton is what we have coming up. 

Now, show me a loss!

• Like 1

Obviously it's way wonky this early (hello 1-2 Yale up at #17), but with the loss SHSU drops to #59 in RPI, which still was the best we've played this year: http://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2020/rpi-live

Next 7 games should tell us a fair amount:

#11 LSU: #22 RPI

#6 Arkansas: #1 RPI

Mizzou: #104 RPI

Arizona: #100 RPI

Fullerton: #148 RPI

After that, Abilene Christian is #53, but doubt that'll hold up as the numbers get more accurate.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, randygilman said:

Big test this weekend. Excited for it. The Biggest City in Harris County welcomes all Longhorn fans coming to Minute Maid Park this weekend to watch Longhorn baseball. I hope literally every fan base gets wasted and the roof is open. Should be an amazing atmosphere. 

12-0

Fify. 

I have not followed Horns baseball very closely before.  Why are we not more excited about this team?  I understand the schedule has been light, but we’re undefeated and to my eyes it looks like many of the major questions entering the season are quickly being answered.  Instead of being the weak spots on the roster, the newcomers (Faltine, Williams, Duplantier, etc.) are leading the way.   So why are we not more hyped?

44 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

I have not followed Horns baseball very closely before.  Why are we not more excited about this team?  I understand the schedule has been light, but we’re undefeated and to my eyes it looks like many of the major questions entering the season are quickly being answered.  Instead of being the weak spots on the roster, the newcomers (Faltine, Williams, Duplantier, etc.) are leading the way.   So why are we not more hyped?

To answer your question, following 50 years of two of the greatest coaches in baseball history, we have relative nobody David Pierce.  The jury is still out on him in pretty much every respect.

Last year we played a salty non-conference schedule and acquitted ourselves well and then put up one of the worst regular seasons in recent memory.   The signs (lots of walks and streaky/poor hitting) were there and became endemic during the regular season.  Several new recruits fizzled badly and mainstays from the prior season underperformed, throwing both recruiting and development into question.  We also had two key injuries in Hamilton and Petrinsky.

The year before that we had a darn good season with a fairly depleted roster.  Maybe a last gasp of Garrido's upperclassmen?

No one is quite sure what they're looking at right now.  And no one wants to get yoinked like last year.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

To answer your question, following 50 years of two of the greatest coaches in baseball history, we have relative nobody David Pierce.  The jury is still out on him in pretty much every respect.

Last year we played a salty non-conference schedule and acquitted ourselves well and then put up one of the worst regular seasons in recent memory.   The signs (lots of walks and streaky/poor hitting) were there and became endemic during the regular season.  Several new recruits fizzled badly and mainstays from the prior season underperformed, throwing both recruiting and development into question.  We also had two key injuries in Hamilton and Petrinsky.

The year before that we had a darn good season with a fairly depleted roster.  Maybe a last gasp of Garrido's upperclassmen?

No one is quite sure what they're looking at right now.  And no one wants to get yoinked like last year.

Yep. I'm waiting to get hyped. 

45 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

The short answer is that we got off to a good start last season and ended up dead last in the Big 12. 

• Like 1

At the plate, i'm seeing (in general) better AB's and much improved fundamental understanding of situational hitting, which is encouraging.  On defense, the importance of having a veteran catcher teaming with a freshman who seems to have his shit together behind the plate can't be overstated.  On the mound, we have a couple of guys who can challenge for the Sunday role going forward and a potential bad-ass closer.  

Negatives - not too many.  Someone has to hit his weight at 2B, even if we have to go back to Lance Ford.  We need another LHP to emerge in the bullpen as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

I think we are excited but cautious. We know that the Big 12 is what really matters, this is a warm up. Will our pitching staff hold up in the Big 12? Will our hitting be able to continue to manufacture enough runs to win consistently in the Big 12? Those are the major questions that need to be answered.

We all know what happened last year.  We also know a lot of things have changed, some of which include:

Coach Tulowitzki -- elite MLB shortstop when we consider glove & bat

Coach Street -- nothing needs to be said

Trey Faltine

Cam Williams

Doug Hodo

Pete Hansen

I see more discipline at the plate and in the field, and I see pitchers with more confidence.  Could it all disappear into the ether over the next few weeks?  Sure, but to me, this doesn't look like the same kind of Texas team that has struggled from time to time over the past several years.  I suspect two new coaches along with talented freshmen and transfers have lit a fire in the locker room.  

Plus, a team ERA of 1.65, with 10 guys under 3.0 makes me giddy, and I don't care who they're pitching against.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

When you've been to Omaha 36 times you don't start sucking each other's dicks about 9-0 in February.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

On the radio this morning the guys said something about this weekend's games being carried by MLB Network.  Is that true?

On 2/25/2020 at 9:12 AM, Yama Yak Yachtzi said:

All games this weekend will be on AT&T SportsNet and streamed on Astros.com, MLB.com, the AT&T SportsNet app and the MLB At Bat app.

https://www.mlb.com/press-release/press-release-shriners-hospitals-for-children-college-classic-to-be-televised-on

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

My biggest concern with this team is having Todd and Ellis at the top of the order and Zubia as cleanup.  Not that there are better options.  I will say I do like hearing the drunk shout Zoo-bee-ah every Tuesday night.

SHOW US YOUR ZOOBS! 

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Wayyy too soon for me to be excited or dejected about this team. Im cautiously optimistic at this point. We go 3-0 or even 2-1 this weekend... then i go from 6 to midnight

I was really, really excited after the LSU series last year. I’ll continue to nod in approval for a while longer before I get vocal.