2020 Texas Baseball

zlavydra

39 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Yeah I have no doubt CDC can find the right guy. But holy shit. Skip should’ve been announced as a HCIW or whatever at the start of the ‘14 season. 

Skip was running the show for the most part.  He was not the answer.  Savage at UCLA was the answer or along those lines.

• Like 1

Yeah I get that. But just getting rid of Augie and having Skip be the guy and let him fill out the coaching staff his way. We always had pretty badass pitching staffs under him, even when we sucked in ‘12 and ‘13. Eh whatever. Hopefully Pierce figures it out or we go after Savage or O’Sullivan or something. It’d be kinda fun to pluck Tadlock from tech somehow 

I would like to go the CWS again before I die. My daughter will never forgive me if I don’t take her.

You’ll be taking her sooner than you think. Not to root for Texas but no reason why you can’t just buy a ticket and go anyway.

4 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Our standard for baseball should be higher than any sport, even football. We are the bluest of bluebooods in baseball. We‘ll see how this season plays out, but it’s looking more and more like Pierce is not our standard. 

Yeah what we did from 2000-2010 should be the gold standard. I like Pierce, think he’s a solid coach but we’ll see if he’s got “it” or not. Really rooting for the guy. Especially after snagging Tulo and Huston. I guess we’ll see if he’s the guy or not in about a month. For Christ sakes please get this shit turned around. Watching Tech and  and LSU and mother fucking Arkansas be the current “top dogs” in college baseball makes me fuckin sick. And yeah I know we beat the pigs on Saturday but they pounded us in ‘18 and ‘19 multiple times  

28 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Yeah what we did from 2000-2010 should be the gold standard. I like Pierce, think he’s a solid coach but we’ll see if he’s got “it” or not. Really rooting for the guy. Especially after snagging Tulo and Huston. I guess we’ll see if he’s the guy or not in about a month. For Christ sakes please get this shit turned around. Watching Tech and  and LSU and mother fucking Arkansas be the current “top dogs” in college baseball makes me fuckin sick. And yeah I know we beat the pigs on Saturday but they pounded us in ‘18 and ‘19 multiple times  

I'd like to point out that in 1998, Texas went 23-32-1 under second year head coach Augie Garrido.  He was clearly not the answer and on rec.sports.baseball.college I participated in the Fire Augie threads.

Plus we swept LSU last year.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, petscii said:

I'd like to point out that in 1998, Texas went 23-32-1 under second year head coach Augie Garrido.  He was clearly not the answer and on rec.sports.baseball.college I participated in the Fire Augie threads.

Plus we swept LSU last year.

We’re kind of on the same page here. I like Pierce. If I had it my way, he’d be here till 2035 or whatever. But Augie came in with 3 national titles under his belt from a commuter school. But here we are in year 4 making the stupidest fucking throws and errors and base running mistakes. All fixable but it’s becoming more and more of a trend than just “bad luck”. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

We’re kind of on the same page here. I like Pierce. If I had it my way, he’d be here till 2035 or whatever. But Augie came in with 3 national titles under his belt from a commuter school. But here we are in year 4 making the stupidest fucking throws and errors and base running mistakes. All fixable but it’s becoming more and more of a trend than just “bad luck”. 

Yeah.  I really want Pierce to do well too.  But he has to do that.  I've seen Texas "run-off" the winningest coach in College Baseball twice.  would love to see Pierce be the third (in 20+ years).  ;)

Edited by petscii
  • Like 2

I see we are a little down right now about our boys, but I have a question-- does anyone know anything about getting tickets for the game against UTA in Frisco in a couple weeks? I have searched EVERYWHERE on line and cant find a legitimate ticket outlet. Hell, even StubHub doesn't list it. They have to be on sale somewhere, don't they?

I like Pierce as well and I find it hard to believe that somehow now he can't coach since getting to Texas.....in D1-A baseball the smaller teams are playing the bigger teams as much or more than any sport probably including basketball

he did well at Sam Houston and had Tulane moving in the right direction.....there was a lot to clean up at Texas when he started and it was a big transition under difficult circumstances....yes with college baseball especially at Texas there is the chance to get a few difference makers in quickly and that does not seemed to have happened, but I suppose if those difference makers do not come in immediately or do not pan out then you are not going to look good....there does seem to be issues with fundamentals though and that is a concern

I hate to even bring it up, but fuck look at Florida.......if piece of shit patterson had not been such a total fucking failure causing Texas to go with interim AD Perrin (that did a lot better than most would have under the circumstances) then there might have been a real chance to pull the coach from Florida.....but no fucking chance with all the shit that was going on with UT athletics at the time....Texas is still paying the price for that shit and probably will for a couple of more years in some sports.....same with the Louisville coach....no chance with a temp AD and a who fucking knows as a replacement

Let’s sweep those Fullerton fuckwads. Some nice pay back for ‘04. That championship series still fuckin pissed me off. We had those fuckers. 
The next 12 games eases up quite a bit( no clue how good Fullerton is, same with New Mexico ) but now would  be a good time to get some wins and get some confidence headed into conference play. 

Edited by Fletch

Lobos have beaten BYU 5 times outta 6 this year, which has made up half their schedule (not sure why).  They've played a respectable schedule overall (9-4).  

Fullerton has looked uncharacteristically crappy to start this season, 4-9, though they took 2/3 at Stanford.  They hit worse than us (.221avg/.279slg).  

To atone for some ugly losses as of late, with this kinda competition coming into the Disch...the team really needs to take 5 outta 6.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Fullerton has looked uncharacteristically crappy to start this season, 4-9, though they took 2/3 at Stanford.  They hit worse than us (.221avg/.279slg).  

To atone for some ugly losses as of late, with this kinda competition coming into the Disch...the team really needs to take 5 outta 6.  

Good point !

Fullerton was decimated by the draft in '18 (especially pitching) and hasn't recovered.   Coach Vanderhook had to replace his two coaches at the end of last year.   So this isn't the Fullerton of the past.

Edited by torre

From the Fullerton site.   Much respect for Coach Vanderhook.   Played for Augie at Fullerton.    Came from Cali to attend the memorial service at  the Erwin Center.   So emotional had difficulty in holding his head up.

FULLERTON, Calif. – After an eight game homestand, the Titans head to Texas to take on the Longhorns beginning Friday afternoon with first pitch set for 4:30 p.m. PT. 

Saturday and Sunday will be an early start on the West Coast with first pitch scheduled for 12:00 p.m. PT and 11:30 p.m. PT.

This weekend will be a remembrance of  the great Augie Garrido, who led both Cal State Fullerton and Texas to national championships. Garrido won national titles in 1979, 1984 and 1995 while at Fullerton and in 2002 and 2005 with Texas. In 21 seasons under Garrido's guidance, the Titans won a total of 929 games. Garrido then led the Longhorns to 824 wins in 20 seasons to bring his career wins total to 1,975, the second-most all-time.

With Garrido having led both programs it's not secret as to why Cal State Fullerton and Texas are among the top-10 winningest programs in college baseball history and are two of the seven programs with four or more national titles.

The two teams will meet for the first time since 2004 in the College World Series when the Titans defeated the Garrido led Longhorns 3-2 to claim their fourth national championship.

https://www.fullertontitans.com/sports/m-basebl/2019-20/releases/20200305twomuu

spacer.png

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Fletch said:

Let’s sweep those Fullerton fuckwads. Some nice pay back for ‘04. That championship series still fuckin pissed me off. We had those fuckers. 
The next 12 games eases up quite a bit( no clue how good Fullerton is, same with New Mexico ) but now would  be a good time to get some wins and get some confidence headed into conference play. 

The name Kurt Suzuki still fills me with silent rage.

well a win tomorrow and maybe it is time to let go of the ripcord for a bit

the LSU loss just sucked because it was LSU and 1 point, but they are a pretty good team generally

the Missouri loss was a shit loss they fucking suck, but sometimes you have those on baseball

the Arizona loss was pretty much shit too they do not look good

but Texas is still 12-3 with a chance to sweet CSF tomorrow and be 13-3 and that is not terrible and sure some of the wins are not against great teams, but when they were scheduled they were probably looking a lot better that is just the breaks

there is still a lot of time in the season with a lot of top level competition to play and see where Texas really stands

14 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, our losses so far are within the variance that is baseball.  Still pretty early to tell anything.

Our bats don't seem to be anything to write home about, but they come alive more than once every nine innings, so that's nice.

Just hoping to see improvement as the season progresses... older players aren't as talented as the younger ones. 

Got to keep bringing in better talent and upgrade pitching!!

10 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Just hoping to see improvement as the season progresses... older players aren't as talented as the younger ones. 

Got to keep bringing in better talent and upgrade pitching!!

We have to win conference series.  We've done the job with a weaker schedule this year.   

We were getting it done short-handed against a murderers row of a schedule last year until conference.  

Conference play is the judgement that faces this team.

On 3/7/2020 at 7:00 PM, ButtFumble said:

the LSU loss just sucked because it was LSU and 1 point, but they are a pretty good team generally

the Missouri loss was a shit loss they fucking suck, but sometimes you have those on baseball

but Texas is still 12-3 with a chance to sweet CSF tomorrow and be 13-3 and that is not terrible and sure some of the wins are not against great teams, but when they were scheduled they were probably looking a lot better that is just the breaks

there is still a lot of time in the season with a lot of top level competition to play and see where Texas really stands

wtf-is-going-on-gif-5.gif

• Like 3

On 3/7/2020 at 7:00 PM, ButtFumble said:

really? 

really?? 

really???

really????

FUCKING REALLY?????????