2020 Texas Baseball

zlavydra

Well, at least a lot of highlights and full games from the 02-09 run are on YouTube. Same with the ‘14 run. We can just pretend last year never happened and just remember Pierce, Kody and a group of ragtags winning the conference and making it to Omaha. 

On 3/22/2020 at 1:14 AM, Fletch said:

Am I the only one going back and watching those ‘02 and ‘05 CWS highlights along with a few of those 2014 condensed games and whatnot for a UT baseball fix?

No, no sir you are not.

My 2002 CWS HIghlight film is on VHS...damn has it been that long?

No, no sir you are not.
My 2002 CWS HIghlight film is on VHS...damn has it been that long?

I still have the Arkansas and Georgia games from ‘04 on vhs somewhere in storage. Rewatched the ‘02 title game on YouTube the other night then this yesterday
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm probably gonna skip that replay.  That was such a gut-wrenching series to lose.  I watched that game live in the Rosenblatt Sauna with food poisoning and a vicious hangover.  

Guest Lobo

For once, I have time on my hands on a lazy and hot Sunday, and nobody will replay the 2009 Boston College game.  I got 7.5 hours to kill

Guest Lobo

Yeah, it was right before we launched the Longhorn Network so there wasn't a de-facto production crew right there all the time.  Typically for Regional games, there was some version of ESPN there (ESPNU/ESPN+) or maybe FoxSportsSW/FSN.  I dunno.  I don't recall ever seeing any video clips of the end of the game.  I do remember a video montage though of Austin Wood's performance but that could just be from athletic dept. promotional video (no irony intended).  It took place on 30 and 31 May.  You could play that thing on a constant loop that day just like "A Christmas Story" does on TBS, and you'd only get to play the thing 3 times it's so damn long.  They should do that actually, but again to your point---who the hell knows what the master tape is like even if there even is one.  It was before cell phone cameras too.  Anyway, fun to think about it.  Back to Sunday...

That would be awesome. I’d love to see that, but I don’t think it was televised was it? I seem to remember listening to it on the radio, but I could’ve mistaken.

KXAN had like a 3 minute highlight video but can’t find it now. Here’s the go ahead run

Surely some of you assholes were at that game. [mention]Blanton [/mention] and I were there. Fucking unbelievable.

While we’re living in the past, was I the only one that thought Workman should’ve been our closer in 2010 instead of Ruffin. Yeah Ruffin brought that closers mentality Augie loves, but he was a bitch of a Friday night starter and Workman pumped straight fucking gas. Augie always seemed to have a head scratcher a year in regards to team roles, but chances are Augie knows more about baseball than me. Well, not anymore. But back then

5 minutes ago, Fletch said:

KXAN had like a 3 minute highlight video but can’t find it now. Here’s the go ahead run

Surely some of you assholes were at that game. [mention]Blanton [/mention] and I were there. Fucking unbelievable.

While we’re living in the past, was I the only one that thought Workman should’ve been our closer in 2010 instead of Ruffin. Yeah Ruffin brought that closers mentality Augie loves, but he was a bitch of a Friday night starter and Workman pumped straight fucking gas. Augie always seemed to have a head scratcher a year in regards to team roles, but chances are Augie knows more about baseball than me. Well, not anymore. But back then

Last memory of that year was Ruffin throwing batting practice in game 3 of the Super. Ouch...  Paid a scalper quite a bit for tickets that weekend.

Same here, man. I was right by the TCU frat  douches too. I never really had an opinion on TCU either way until that series. Between that fuckwad loud mouth douche Purke, their busch league fans and them intentionally dog piling on the Longhorn in center, they can go fuck themselves. And fuck the NCAA for pairing up those 2 teams. Fuck the NCAA in general for their consistent incompetence when it comes to regionals and seeding 

23 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Great observation !    Thought we would have won it all in '09 if there was a dedicated closer.    Really hurt against LSU in Omaha.  (The TCU dogpile was in '10,  we beat them in '09 Super)

The 25 inning game did not actually seem that long to me,    relatively quick moving game,  very nervous since we were visiting team.    Check box score (below) only 11 walks.   Note we had 20 hits but only 3 runs.   

https://stats.texassports.com/custompages/sports/m-basebl/2008-2009/austin-regionl4.html

Guest Lobo
5 hours ago, Fletch said:

Never saw that footage before now, probably taken 8 seats over from mine.  Have some rep.  what a game.  

I couldn’t go to both the regional and the super that year. I knew we would win the regional so I took off for the super

A bartender who had season tickets just gave my parents and @Blanton l and 4 free tickets to the game. Just a truly special game all around. While we’re walking down memory lane, here’s how we won that regional.

Edited by Fletch

On 5/8/2020 at 6:49 PM, TonyTexas said:

With the 5 round MLB draft confirmed, it will be interesting to see how Pierce manages the roster. 
https://www.hookem.com/story/after-coronavirus-pandemic-shifts-ncaa-mlb-rules-texas-looks-ahead-to-2021-roster-issues/

Will be very interesting to see how the draft impacts the incoming class.  Kelley is almost certainly gone.  But Witt, Jones, Halpin, and Tucker are all projected anywhere from late 1st to early 3rd.  I would be really surprised if Campbell or Sthele were drafted high enough to sign.  So if you assume that Kelley, Elder, Witt, and Tucker are drafted away, here’s how I see the 35 man roster:

C:’ Ardoin, Powell, Constantine

IF: Faltine*, Campbell*, Zubia*, Williams*, Dixon, Stehly, Daly, Melendez, Nixon

OF: Halpin*, Kennedy*, Ellis*, Todd*, Hodo, Porter

RHP: Jones*, Sthele*, Madden*, Duplantier*, Fields*, Kubichek*, Southard, Cobb, Quintanilla, Stevens, Merryman, Taylor

LHP: Hansen*, Walbridge, Wallace, Gordon, Noah

Out: Swope, Petrinsky, Diaz, Ford, Geib, Peter, Eckhardt, Meaney, Bryant

Weak at catcher but otherwise a stacked lineup, with insane upside in the rotation and plenty of pitching depth.  Sky’s the limit.