2020 Texas Baseball

zlavydra

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

We are going to suck again, aren’t we?

Our lineup is pure dogshit at the plate.

My favorite was before the game the announcers were showing Zubia in the dugout and how much he had slimmed down, then his stats from last year (5 HRs) popped up, and one of them said - "gotta get those HRs up - need that power."  The other then said "I think that led the team last year."  Ouch.  It was like an unintentional major league quote.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 66BUFF said:

hard to say if the pitching is good or the hitting still sucks

Alumni had a few good hits. But also had Kingham pop-up bunt with 2-0 count, Gurwitz running half speed into 3b for an out, Reynolds easily double up on infield liner, etc...  they didn’t seem to be trying too hard.

2 hours ago, zlavydra said:

11 days until Rice.  Any ideas as to starting rotation/lineup/closer/whether Kennedy can occupy 3 out of 9 spots in the line up and use ghost runners if needed?

Just a guess. (not necessarily batting order)   Others welcome to opine.

LF  Kennedy

CF Ellis

2B Ford

1B Zuniga

DH  Bertelson/Peter/Ardoin/Hodo  (loss of Geib (season) and Duplantier (temp) hurts)

C  Petrinsky

RF  Todd

SS Faltine

3B  Stehly/Bertelson 

P   Elder (Fri)  Madden/Cobb (Sat)  Sun (Cobb/Quintanilla/Kubichek)  Closer (Fields/Diaz/Kubichek)   LHP Burbank who had a great summer and freshmen need to contribute.

(You guys go easy on my man Kamron at closer this year.  😊  Hoping Huston can give him confidence and slow his tempo.  May be drafted fairly high.   Family may want him to stay in school)

Keep the following quote from Pierce in mind as we progess thru the season.

Pierce said the Longhorns will get into their regular-season routine Tuesday. Ahead of the season-opening trip to Rice, Pierce said he wants to refine the team’s pitching, get the young players ready for chaotic situations and slow down the batters’ approach at the plate.

“If we can accomplish those things, I think we can grow daily,” Pierce said.

https://www.hookem.com/story/with-its-past-in-town-texas-looks-ahead-to-its-future-at-third-base/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, torre said:

Just a guess. (not necessarily batting order)   Others welcome to opine.

LF  Kennedy

CF Ellis

2B Ford

1B Zuniga

DH  Bertelson/Peter/Ardoin/Hodo  (loss of Geib (season) and Duplantier (temp) hurts)

C  Petrinsky

RF  Todd

SS Faltine

3B  Stehly/Bertelson 

P   Elder (Fri)  Madden/Cobb (Sat)  Sun (Cobb/Quintanilla/Kubichek)  Closer (Fields/Diaz/Kubichek)   LHP Burbank who had a great summer and freshmen need to contribute.

(You guys go easy on my man Kamron at closer this year.  😊  Hoping Huston can give him confidence and slow his tempo.  May be drafted fairly high.   Family may want him to stay in school)

Keep the following quote from Pierce in mind as we progess thru the season.

Pierce said the Longhorns will get into their regular-season routine Tuesday. Ahead of the season-opening trip to Rice, Pierce said he wants to refine the team’s pitching, get the young players ready for chaotic situations and slow down the batters’ approach at the plate.

“If we can accomplish those things, I think we can grow daily,” Pierce said.

https://www.hookem.com/story/with-its-past-in-town-texas-looks-ahead-to-its-future-at-third-base/

Zuniga?? He must be hurt, didn’t see him play 

19 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I've got tickets for all three rice games for my daughter and I.  Here's hoping that all our hopes and dreams for the season aren't crushed at the end of those games.

We need to organize a Shaggy meet up for 1 or all 3 games somewhere in the area.

Boise State games may not come off.  I don't follow local sports up here, but the local voters turned down the bond issue (or whatever) that was to pay for the stadium Bogota State was going to lease for their home games.  I do not know if they are out buying bats, cleats, gloves, etc., but someone should be doing some fast footwork to find them a place to play.  

There is a Boise Hawks stadium (minor league) not far off, not sure of availability.  Generally speaking, Idaho is not a place for baseball before April or thereabouts

9 hours ago, idahorn said:

Boise State games may not come off.  I don't follow local sports up here, but the local voters turned down the bond issue (or whatever) that was to pay for the stadium Bogota State was going to lease for their home games.  I do not know if they are out buying bats, cleats, gloves, etc., but someone should be doing some fast footwork to find them a place to play.  

There is a Boise Hawks stadium (minor league) not far off, not sure of availability.  Generally speaking, Idaho is not a place for baseball before April or thereabouts

They are playing this year at Memorial stadium.   The news articles I've read said they were building their own stadium and had already opted out of participating in a public facility back in 2017.  

I think the bats (and stadium) are already paid for.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/education/boise-state-university/article234052552.html

I do think it is odd/strange that the first game per their schedule is at Texas.   They played two exhibition games in the fall so it's not really the first first game in a while...

Edited by petscii

Need Stehly to be solid this year.     May start at 3B to begin the season,  played SS at OCC,  hit .374, but does not appear to have the HR power Pierce covets. 

Texas junior infielder Murphy Stehly will honor his former coach by wearing the No. 14 throughout the 2020 baseball season.

That number belonged to John Altobelli, the longtime head coach at Orange Coast College. Altobelli and NBA legend Kobe Bryant were two of the nine people killed in a helicopter crash on Jan. 26. Altobelli coached Stehly over the past two seasons. He was also teammates with Texas coach David Pierce at the University of Houston.

At Texas, the No. 14 had been assigned to freshman pitcher Will Swope. At a team meeting on Tuesday, Swope handed off the jersey to Stehly. Swope will instead wear the No. 10 that was originally given to Stehly.

https://www.hookem.com/2020/02/04/texas-murphy-stehly-to-wear-no-14-as-a-tribute-to-former-coach-john-altobelli/

AS A SOPHOMORE (ORANGE COAST COLLEGE)
Orange Coast College's leading hitter as a sophomore in 2019, batting .374 with 41 RBI and 34 runs scored…led the Pirates with 17 doubles and 11 stolen bases…helped lead Orange Coast to the 2019 California Community College Baseball State Championship.

AS A FRESHMAN (ORANGE COAST COLLEGE)
Batted .328 in 39 games played during freshman season…hit nine doubles, three triples and two homers…stole a team-high 16 bases as a freshman.

https://texassports.com/sports/baseball/roster/murphy-stehly/9326

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zlavydra said:

Damn, just a few days until baseball and not much buzz.

Last year really took a lot of wind out of the sails.  As for this year I think we have some reasons to be optimistic.  I think our pitching will be solid all year if not outright dominant at times.  Our hitters are young but talented.  There will be lots of growing pains at the plate.  We will be flat out ugly at times.  I think we hit well enough though to finish 4th or 5th in conference.  Win a game or two in the conference tournament and then are a very tough out in the NCAA tournament.  I do think we are better at the end of the year than at the beginning.  I just don't see any way that Street and Tulowitzki allow the wheels to fall off the tracks this year.  They should be good bumpers for these players to keep the metaphoric bowling ball in the lane.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Capn81 said:

Is there TV/Stream for this weekend?

Can't find a listing at this time.   Previously,   Rice games were streamed on Owl Vision,  normally would have to pay.

We have a poster here with the Owl Vision user name or similar,  perhaps he will see thread and opine.

4 hours ago, zlavydra said:

Damn, just a few days until baseball and not much buzz.

Here you go, my friend.    Rice is picked 5th in Conference USA.     Not yet the luster of the great Augie/Wayne battles.   Jose Cruz (Astros) son is their SS.   Two teams searching for consistency.

5. Rice (26-33, 14-16)

Rice’s first season under coach Matt Bragga looked a lot like the program’s last under Wayne Graham, right down to having the same number of wins - 26. The Owls are still clearly several steps back from where they were at their peak, but there’s enough impressive talent in place this season that you might start to see the rebuild under Bragga taking shape

. On offense, Cruz is a fantastic centerpiece to begin with, junior catcher Justin Collins (.260/.387/.425) is a star in his own right and seniors in second baseman Cade Edwards (.308/.360/.498), third baseman Braden Comeaux (.299/.388/.421) and right fielder Bradley Gneiting (.295/.366/.378) give the lineup length. Add in junior college transfers in first baseman Austin Bulman, left fielder Daniel Hernandez and DH Brayden Combs, who began his career at Kentucky, all of whom have great offensive track records, and you have the makings of the best Rice offense in quite some time.

The Owls’ pitching staff is long on talent, but short on experience. Hard-throwing senior righthander Roel Garcia has been in the program going on four years, but due to missing all of last season with injury, he hasn’t yet had a chance to prove himself in the rotation full-time. The fact that he was still drafted in the 27th round at the end of last season speaks to his talent level, however. Saturday starter Alex DeLeon transferred in from junior college power McLennan (Texas) JC after two productive seasons there. Sophomore righthander Dalton Wood (4.23, 27.2 IP) will round out the rotation after pitching in relief a season ago. One pitcher to watch in the bullpen is junior college transfer righthander Jack Conlon, who has taken a circuitous route to get to Rice. An unsigned fourth-round pick in 2017, Conlon began his career at Texas A&M and then stopped over at San Jacinto (Texas) JC last season before arriving in Houston. His talent is impressive and could help him become a huge weapon for the Owls if he can stay healthy and put it all together

. Expectations should not be that Rice will return to its status as a national power in 2020, but if things click, a postseason appearance is certainly on the table.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2020-conference-usa-college-baseball-preview/

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Man I am old but back in my Wild Bunch days we rarely had a starter that was not hitting above .300

What the fuck has happened?

Hitting numbers are down in college baseball from 20 years ago.  A lot of that has to do with the NCAA deadening the bats to reduce the hitting to more normal numbers.  So no more 20-18 games.