2020 Texas Baseball

zlavydra

13 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

In other news, tomorrow's opponent, Arizona, somehow managed to give up a combined 25 runs to Rhode Island (yep) over the last 2 days.  I had figured they would be playing a few games in TX, but it appears that they're just flying out for Tuesday's game and heading back to Tucson.

Paul Harvey:  "And Now... For The Rest of The Story..."

AZ scored 30 runs in those two games with Rhode Island and split going 1-1 

• Won 19-10
  • Lost 11-15
Edited by LTtxfan

20 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s not an idiotic formula. It just needs more data to be reliable. Early season RPI is always pretty pointless. 

It's one of the reasons the ISR  that Boyd Nation created does not even bother showing up this early in the season.  

Playing LSU tight ok.    BEATING ARKY great.  Losing to misery is misery.  

Overall, the weekend was a mixed bag, but I think it was enough to show we’ve at least improved from last year. But the shitty defense is inexcusable, and it’s not a good sign that it’s showing up two years in a row. Pierce needs to get that figured out. He has to be able to make his teams better at fielding than they’ve been and relatedly, while the Petrinsky injury has been a tough blow, he should’ve done more this offseason to remedy the situation than just bring in a true freshman catcher. It’s inexcusable to let the Petrinsky injury seriously hurt our win total for two straight seasons. 

1 hour ago, petscii said:

It's one of the reasons the ISR  that Boyd Nation created does not even bother showing up this early in the season.  

Playing LSU tight ok.    BEATING ARKY great.  Losing to misery is misery.  

And of course the ISR updated this morning...  lol...

11 minutes ago, Ten Bears said:

Did Petrinsky get hurt again???

I believe it is still impacted from the injury last year.  They made it clear at the start of the season on the radio DJ was not going to be the every day starter at C.  I dunno if this is what is becoming typical David Pierce stubbornness or what.

I don't think we have enough data yet to know that we've really improved from last year.  Coming into the season, most of us were worried about hitting, the bullpen, and catcher/middle infield (so basically just hitting, pitching, and defense - no big deal).  Bullpen looks shaky as shit, middle infield looks very athletic and promising, but the all around errors this weekend are worrisome after last year.  Ellis and Ford have been pleasant surprises at the plate and Zubia has been pretty good. 

Who knows though.  I remember thinking last year after sweeping LSU, taking 2/3 from Tech, and splitting with Arkansas that we were Omaha bound again. And that was in late March.  Lulz.  

Edited by bschoolprof

44 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I don't think we have enough data yet to know that we've really improved from last year.  Coming into the season, most of us were worried about hitting, the bullpen, and catcher/middle infield (so basically just hitting, pitching, and defense - no big deal).  Bullpen looks shaky as shit, middle infield looks very athletic and promising, but the all around errors this weekend are worrisome after last year.  Ellis and Ford have been pleasant surprises at the plate and Zubia has been pretty good. 

Who knows though.  I remember thinking last year after sweeping LSU, taking 2/3 from Tech, and splitting with Arkansas that we were Omaha bound again. And that was in late March.  Lulz.  

And in 2018, I thought we were gonna be a 3 seed at best after losing 2 out of 3 to LSU and getting pounded by Arkansas in March. So who the fuck knows 

• Like 1

Just now, Fletch said:

And in 2018, I thought we were gonna be a 3 seed at best after losing 2 out of 3 to LSU and getting pounded by Arkansas in March. So who the fuck knows 

The Kody Clemens factor is going to be hard to ignore the further we get away from it

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Fletch said:

So Hansen or Quintanilla tomorrow? I’d like to see Hansen get a shot at Sunday’s with Cobb working Tuesday’s. Or maybe just bring Cobb out of the bullpen and have Quintanilla start Tuesday’s? 

Cobb was fine yesterday.  5 innings, 1 ER, 4 K, 1 BB.  Why yank him this early in the season?

In addition to catcher, second base is an issue. Either we get great range and no bat, or we get no range and an average bat.  

We need a stopper.  It could be Duplantier but I’m not convinced he can do it with only that slider.  His fastball needs a few more ticks. 

overall though I think we are better.  I still want to see more of Southard, Perryman, Walbridge and Meaney and less of Diaz and Quintanilla.  

56 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Cobb was fine yesterday.  5 innings, 1 ER, 4 K, 1 BB.  Why yank him this early in the season?

Yeah I’m probably way over thinking this. Plus what clubwhatever said. Less Diaz. No clue what to do with Quintanilla. Is the Fields experiment over yet? 

https://ev3.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=BS&linkID=txstate&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=

Tickets for the Texas St game, 24 Mar, 6PM go on sale 3 Mar, 0900.    I find it best to call 512-245-2272.

Normally a sellout,  good road atmosphere,  Texas St does a great job of hosting.   Texas St is 8-4 so far,  took 2/3 from Houston this past weekend.   Always a good ballgame.

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

He's certainly not bad, but he has never been able to go deep in games. I think he would kick ass on Tuesdays against clearly inferior competition and give us a good shot at winning when we play better teams (AZ/Aggy/Houston).  Also think Hansen has a lot of upside as a weekend starter.

Texas pitching staff seems better than last season, but not dominate.  Hopefully the relief pitching continues to improve -- there's some real potential there!! 

Defensively, Pierce has to manage the number of regular season innings at Catcher for Petrinski so he has something left late in the year.  The rest of the defense should continue to improve as the season progresses assuming the starters stay healthy.

Offensively, this team still lacks quality leadership and power from the upperclassmen.  Team Hitting has to keep developing and improving throughout the seasons for Horns to qualify for post-season play.

14 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Texas pitching staff seems better than last season, but not dominate.  Hopefully the relief pitching continues to improve -- there's some real potential there!! 

Defensively, Pierce has to manage the number of regular season innings at Catcher for Petrinski so he has something left late in the year.  The rest of the defense should continue to improve as the season progresses assuming the starters stay healthy.

Offensively, this team still lacks quality leadership and power from the upperclassmen.  Team Hitting has to keep developing and improving throughout the seasons for Horns to qualify for post-season play.

I’m curious what happened to the two frosh catchers who got some playing time last season.  Don’t believe either is on the current roster.

Regardless, again it appears we’re relying on an inexperienced frosh backup.  No bueno!

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Thought I had tonight off, but don't. Anyone want my 2 tix for tonight? Section R2, Row 8. You can pick them up from me at my work prior to the game or I think we can transfer through TexasSports. Bernie (no CR) believers will like that they are FREE. PM me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

I’m curious what happened to the two frosh catchers who got some playing time last season.  Don’t believe either is on the current roster.

Regardless, again it appears we’re relying on an inexperienced frosh backup.  No bueno!

Caston Peter is still on the team. 

Shaka is pulling off something of a miracle though.  Pearce started out with a bang this season, just like last year but is fading quickly and sooner.  It's early still but Cal State-Fullerton and Oklahoma will tell us much of what we need to know about where this  season is heading.  

K8g2eJQd_normal.jpg    Danny Davis.  @aasdanny

Last night's baseball game was UT's longest since an 11-10 loss at TCU on 5/5/17 that lasted 4:43. Texas last used 9 pitchers during 2019's 11-10 loss at OK State.

One positive out of last night's 4:35 marathon was that it served as an audition in Texas' overcrowded bullpen. https://twitter.com/bevobeat/status/1235177575217008642 

The most damning thing about Pierce is the poor fielding and mental errors, IMO.

He was always going to struggle with holes in the roster and lack of experienced talent last year and this year because of the roster he inherited, but were making a lot of the same fixable mistakes as last year. That stuff is a coaching issue, and it’s becoming a clear trend for Pierce. I hope he gets it fixed, because I’d rather not potentially fire all big 3 coaches in one year, but I’m not optimistic he’ll fix it based on his tenure at UT. 

I sense the same vibe from the pitchers as last year.  So afraid to screw up that they screw up.   When Pierce goes out to the mound the tension is palpable.  Something about his coaching style doesn't get the maximum out of pitchers.  Then there's the whole issue with catcher, where the experience is hurt.  It's looking like teams are going to be able to run on us all year.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

The most damning thing about Pierce is the poor fielding and mental errors, IMO.

He was always going to struggle with holes in the roster and lack of experienced talent last year and this year because of the roster he inherited, but were making a lot of the same fixable mistakes as last year. That stuff is a coaching issue, and it’s becoming a clear trend for Pierce. I hope he gets it fixed, because I’d rather not potentially fire all big 3 coaches in one year, but I’m not optimistic he’ll fix it based on his tenure at UT. 

I think the fielding has gotten better honestly. Cam and Faltine have done an excellent job locking down the left side while Zubia is performing slightly above average at first. Second and catcher are a problem — a team can survive with a meh second baseman but fail with a poor catcher. I can’t count how many times our catcher has thrown the ball to second so far to the right of the base that faltine has to do a Darrel strawberry backflip to avoid getting decleated while still trying tag runner out. The middle infielders have no clue what they are going to get from the catchers. When the team looks bad on defense, it usually stems from our catcher. Hopefully Pierce can find a guy with confidence because Dj doesn’t seem healthy or normal at least. 

Now the mental errors I agree 100%. Getting picked off on first, caught in run downs...just base running in general has been fucking pathetic. The bullpen has no mental toughness what so ever. They are the obvious week link of the team. We pitched like 18 dudes out of the pen and found like 3 or 4 that we can rely on. The rest lack control (can’t throw strikes) and confidence. Duplantier came in against Arkansas, stuff wasn’t working and got rocked. He didn’t give a single fuck because believed in his stuff and finished the pigs off. It would be nice to have about 5 more guys with his type of swagger and confidence. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Shaka is pulling off something of a miracle though.  Pearce started out with a bang this season, just like last year but is fading quickly and sooner.  It's early still but Cal State-Fullerton and Oklahoma will tell us much of what we need to know about where this  season is heading.  

Yeah, little did we know how abysmal Rice would be (2-9). Makes the fast start less appealing.

3 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

I sense the same vibe from the pitchers as last year.  So afraid to screw up that they screw up.   When Pierce goes out to the mound the tension is palpable.  Something about his coaching style doesn't get the maximum out of pitchers.  Then there's the whole issue with catcher, where the experience is hurt.  It's looking like teams are going to be able to run on us all year.

This is an excellent observation !

Pierce needs to go out of his comfort zone and hire a proven, experienced pitching coach that has the respect and builds confidence in the pitchers.   The talent is there.

Pierce's postgame quotes.    

“It’s hard to pitch once every two weeks,” Pierce said. “That’s one of the things that we’re struggling with is just getting the right amount of innings for each guy to get in a groove. The reason why we’re still throwing that many guys is because we haven’t had enough guys separate themselves.”

Said Pierce: “It’s as much our sophomores as our freshmen. We’re repeating a lot of the same things they did last year. We’re going to find the right mix for sure. We need about 10 to 12 of them and we’ll find them. If they want to pitch, they’re going to have to get better, it’s that simple.”

https://www.hookem.com/story/arizona-8-texas-6-longhorn-pitchers-come-up-short-during-an-impromptu-midweek-audition/

Edited by torre
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:
K8g2eJQd_normal.jpg    Danny Davis.  @aasdanny

Last night's baseball game was UT's longest since an 11-10 loss at TCU on 5/5/17 that lasted 4:43. Texas last used 9 pitchers during 2019's 11-10 loss at OK State.

One positive out of last night's 4:35 marathon was that it served as an audition in Texas' overcrowded bullpen. https://twitter.com/bevobeat/status/1235177575217008642 

27 total whiffs.  Middle innings were close to unwatchable and made me turn to basketball, which for me is unfathomable.

27 minutes ago, torre said:

This is an excellent observation !

Pierce needs to go out of his comfort zone and hire a proven, experienced pitching coach that has the respect and builds confidence in the pitchers.   The talent is there.

Pierce's postgame quotes.    

“It’s hard to pitch once every two weeks,” Pierce said. “That’s one of the things that we’re struggling with is just getting the right amount of innings for each guy to get in a groove. The reason why we’re still throwing that many guys is because we haven’t had enough guys separate themselves.”

Said Pierce: “It’s as much our sophomores as our freshmen. We’re repeating a lot of the same things they did last year. We’re going to find the right mix for sure. We need about 10 to 12 of them and we’ll find them. If they want to pitch, they’re going to have to get better, it’s that simple.”

https://www.hookem.com/story/arizona-8-texas-6-longhorn-pitchers-come-up-short-during-an-impromptu-midweek-audition/

This is bullshit. They pitch plenty, either with no batter or against their teammates. Locating pitches does not require live action. 

So I’ve been a pretty big Pierce fan/defender since he’s been here. Has a good resume and all that shit. But how in gods name was Skip not the guy to replace Augie? Yeah our athletic department has been a fucking mess for 10 fucking years but how the fuck did we let one of the best pitching coaches in all of baseball leave to our main fucking rival? 

15 minutes ago, Fletch said:

So I’ve been a pretty big Pierce fan/defender since he’s been here. Has a good resume and all that shit. But how in gods name was Skip not the guy to replace Augie? Yeah our athletic department has been a fucking mess for 10 fucking years but how the fuck did we let one of the best pitching coaches in all of baseball leave to our main fucking rival? 

The Mike White hire and its success makes me think CDC will get a proven, top name in the game to be the next HC. The department was in shambles when they were told no by everyone targeted and settled on Pierce. I like Pierce but he's shown some real blind spots so far and if this team collapses, window for making that pitching coach hire would be closed. 

Edited by Goodman