2020 Texas Baseball

zlavydra

23 years of season tickets.  I could give a fuck about his prognostications about the season ahead.  He impressed me his first year, blew me away his second year, and achieved one of the most epic failures in the history of collegiate athletics last year.  I'll be there this year, but please coach---shut the fuck up about Tulo and Huston.  They were good in the major leagues for a few years, I get it.  Shut the fuck up and coach your team and earn your paycheck.  We're not paying you to blow the Rockies.  Release the schedule, prepare your team, and then pipe down and do your fucking job.  I know they both played there, and I know the cities are close together, but this program is not about Denver...it's about Omaha.  Coach accordingly.  

15 minutes ago, Lobo said:

23 years of season tickets.  I could give a fuck about his prognostications about the season ahead.  He impressed me his first year, blew me away his second year, and achieved one of the most epic failures in the history of collegiate athletics last year.  I'll be there this year, but please coach---shut the fuck up about Tulo and Huston.  They were good in the major leagues for a few years, I get it.  Shut the fuck up and coach your team and earn your paycheck.  We're not paying you to blow the Rockies.  Release the schedule, prepare your team, and then pipe down and do your fucking job.  I know they both played there, and I know the cities are close together, but this program is not about Denver...it's about Omaha.  Coach accordingly.  

He's talking about Tulo and Huston because reporters are asking him questions about them.

• Like 1

Then tell those guys to shut the fuck up and quit skirting the issues.  We got two MLB'ers to coach, great.  Half the programs in the country have that.  This shit has dominated our off-season narrative for months.  Let's get back to winning games here, not hiring cool people.  I'm sure Matt will be an assistant by the end of this thread.  

Yeah, sorry...I'm losing focusness.  Just so many damn stories about off-season assistant hires in hoops and baseball.  And both still seem about as poised for greatness as Bea Arthur's dick after two grams of blow.  

Edited by Lobo

Luv your energy, Lobo.  😊     We should be much better,  definitely more experienced.   Summer Ball seemed to help quite a few players. 

I think the addition of Huston and Tulo will benefit Coach Pierce more than the players.    Hopefully,  he will glean from them the importance of patience and confidence.   He is very fortunate to have them,  imo.    They could be a savior.

I think Coach Pierce will be challenged to manage the coaching staff.   He did say Huston is not the pitching coach.  The player's perception will be important - there can be too many cooks in the kitchen.

I do hope Huston and Tulo are not the focus of the LHN broadcast and Galindo's commentary.

9 hours ago, torre said:

I think the addition of Huston and Tulo will benefit Coach Pierce more than the players.    Hopefully,  he will glean from them the importance of patience and confidence.   He is very fortunate to have them,  imo.    They could be a savior.  I think Coach Pierce will be challenged to manage the coaching staff.   He did say Huston is not the pitching coach.  The player's perception will be important - there can be too many cooks in the kitchen.  I do hope Huston and Tulo are not the focus of the LHN broadcast and Galindo's commentary.

Get used to the Huston and Tulo narrative.  Media love the story vs talking about boring Pierce and the rest of his staff.  Agree that Pierce's patience will be tested handling all the Tulo/Huston questions and attention -- hope he can handle it.

Egos are a funny thing.  My question is who will the media give the credit to for the results this upcoming Texas baseball season... Pierce or Tulo/Huston??

I'm torn.   The first half of the season was F'n fantastic.  The collapse in conference against what was basically shitty opponents was terrible.

Tommy Nicholson is doing a fabulous job in Palo Alto so I dunno how you can spin next years problems as anyone else's than Pierce's fault.

Although I do have one question... Where is the damn schedule?

Edited by petscii

Fall ball should be out in a week.  Conference slate and a handful of midweeks are already known plus the Houston tourney.  We are really just waiting on about 24 games or so, much less than half. 

Edited by Lobo

11 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Fall ball should be out in a week.  Conference slate and a handful of midweeks are already known plus the Houston tourney.  We are really just waiting on about 24 games or so, much less than half. 

Monday Oct 14th is when Fall Ball starts per what Pierce stated in press conference. It's starting later than normal this year so they can use the new indoor facility and technology lab.

Oct 19th is date for the ceremony to unveil the new indoor facility.

Oct 14th thru Nov 19th is team segment of Fall Ball.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Egos are a funny thing.  My question is who will the media give the credit to for the results this upcoming Texas baseball season... Pierce or Tulo/Huston??

Well Pierce gets credit either way, but I doubt the media will go after Street no matter what happens...at least not next season.

14 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Well Pierce gets credit either way, but I doubt the media will go after Street no matter what happens...at least not next season.

Weird.... when you just post the name Street, all I can think about is #16.  G.O.A.T.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

As much as I don't like starting the season on the road, doing a weekend series with Rice as oppose to 2 or 3 midweek games; frees those midweek slots up for more marquee affairs like Arkansas, A&M, et. al . It's a net positive.  Having said that, release the damn schedule!  We know the conference games, the Rice series, the Houston tournament, and the usual home series with a California-based team.  Leaving just 2-3 other non-conf. weekend series to fill in and a handful of Tuesday games.  Just release what'cha got!  

I like that banner.  

I also like that Doug Stamper really didn't die at the end of "House of Cards."  He grew a beard, hit the weights, and became the baseball trainer for the Texas Longhorns...the WH Chief of Staff of collegiate baseball gigs:

https://texassports.com/news/2019/10/1/texas-baseball-hires-tom-mendez-as-athletic-trainer.aspx

• 2 weeks later...

4. Troy Tulowitzki is loving every minute of his new job as volunteer assistant for the Texas baseball team, which began practice on Monday with the fall World Series scheduled to start Nov. 16. It’s been pushed back later than usual so the team will have use of its new ritzy indoor development center that includes the Cliff Gustafson Pavilion. “Everybody who knows me knows I’m passionate about baseball,” Tulowitzki said. “I love this game.” He’ll be asked to beef up a Texas roster than hit only .250 and only had one hitter above .272. That would be center fielder Eric Kennedy, who hit .320 and was named MVP of the summer California League. Of Tulowitzki, Kennedy said, “He wants us to be big in the box and own it. Have some swagger and let everybody know you’re the best player.”

Kennedy said he can’t wait to move into the new building and said it even has an omelette station. “And I’ve never even had an omelette.” Head coach David Pierce said it’s more a nutritional bar. ... The team had workouts that began at 5 in the morning. That’s serious. ... Tulowitzki said he doesn’t know if he wants someday to be a college head coach or a major-league manager. “I’m taking it year by year. I want to do a good job here. I’ll be able to answer that question later in my career.” Asked if new Longhorns student assistant coach and pitching great Huston Street can get him out, Tulowitzki said, “No. He was never able to get me out and still can’t.”

https://www.statesman.com/sports/20191015/bohls-texas-moving-on-from-ou-austin-to-host-pro-tennis-tourneys

Edited by torre
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wood said:

Fucking unreal.

This kind of bullshit is why it's near impossible to get a kid drafted in the top 10 rounds onto a campus.  Baseball needs an extra paid assistant plus additional scholarships.  There is no reason to not have at least 15 scholarships in baseball.

• Like 3

I threw out 15 scholarships as a number without any thought put into it.  I decided to break down what I truly believe it should be.  This is for baseball only.

1 full scholarship per position = 8

4 scholarships for SP = 4

3 scholarships for backup position players (1 catcher, 1 infielder, 1 outfielder) = 3

3 RP scholarships = 3

So a total of 18 scholarships.  Can be full or broken up as they are now.  Max of 35 players on team with 28 per series active.  That is what I think the rules should be for Division 1 college baseball.

• Like 3

2/14 @RICE series

2.28.20 7pm Friday      Texas V LSU @Minute Maid Park
2.29.20 7pm Saturday    Arkansas V Texas @Minute Maid Park
3.1.20 3pm Sunday       Missouri vs Texas @Minute Maid Park

3/20    @Oklahoma
3/27    Oklahoma State
3/31	@TEXAS aTm	6:32 p.m.
4/3     @West Virginia
4/9     Baylor
4/13	Texas aTm Corpus Christi
4/14	@Texas aTm Corpus Christi