Another Houston Story (this time high school racism)

'stache

I seriously don't get why its still so difficult for people to not do racist shit. 

School faces backlash for deeply offensive ‘Thug Day’

A Texas high school has come under fire for hosting a “Thug Day,” where white students took that to mean dressing in cornrows, chains, jerseys, and fake tattoos, aka things Black students often get punished for.

At least 30 students went to school on Tuesday in such attire, which was part of spirit week at Memorial High School (MHS) in Houston, according to KHOU11. The week is supposed to celebrate rising juniors ahead of finals by maintaining different themes each day, such as “Hippie, Jersey, 2000s, USA/America, Hawaiian,” the latter two of which also sound problematic.

On Tuesday, user @Rachellemmma shared photos of students appropriating Black culture under the offensive guise of “thug” in a tweet that went viral.

“Black kids get kicked out of school for the day until they take out their braids or take off their durags or sometimes suspended,” responded one user. “But suddenly when white kids do it it’s fine. Hmmm seems white. Cultural appropriation at its finest.”

Other people felt the hypocrisy as well:

According to statements from MHS, this particular day had not been approved by school officials. Students reportedly changed “jersey day” to “thug day,” according to Heavy.com.

A former student told KHOU11 that the day used to be a “senior swag day,” and the school even had a “senoritas” day to celebrate Mexican culture. But that reportedly prompted some people to dress up as border patrol or, in trying to “act Mexican,” some would ask to mow people’s lawns.

After the backlash, MHS said in a statement that the remainder of spirit week was canceled. “While the majority of rising juniors followed the approved dress theme on Tuesday, any instance of an inappropriate or offensive dress violation will not be tolerated,” offiials said, according to KHOU11. “Students found to be in violation of the Student Code of Conduct and dress code will be given a consequence.”

MHS’s population is more than 60% white, with Hispanic students making up the second largest population at 19%.

https://www.dailydot.com/irl/thug-day-appropriation/?fb=dd&fbclid=IwAR0pLHxI5g6Cylm54eCnwAD05B7ge0fhejCuL4fy8tkTXrY84MGJQUTmZXI

31 minutes ago, 'stache said:

A Texas high school has come under fire for hosting a “Thug Day,” where white students took that to mean dressing in cornrows, chains, jerseys, and fake tattoos, aka things Black students often get punished for.

I thought everyone in Houston dressed like that. Since when is it a race thing? 

Forgot to add, knamsayn?

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

I seriously don't get why its still so difficult for people to not do racist shit. 

https://www.dailydot.com/irl/thug-day-appropriation/?fb=dd&fbclid=IwAR0pLHxI5g6Cylm54eCnwAD05B7ge0fhejCuL4fy8tkTXrY84MGJQUTmZXI

First of all Memorial isn't in Houston ISD it is in Spring Branch ISD. Each village has its own police department and city hall. Second, when I went to school there we did not have any of these events and we were more than 75% white with very few blacks and a decent number of Hispanics mainly from South America. I find it strange that the school has become more diverse (with the closing of Spring Branch High School) yet racism (at least outward and obvious racism) apparently has increased.

12 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I hear thug, and I wanna go all film noir or mafioso, right down the the fedora and cigar.

That is because you are old, and read books, or watch entire movies while ignoring your phone. You are not "hep" to the youth of today, Daddy-O.

8 minutes ago, housious said:

White people are mad at other white people for dressing like black people. 

Did I summarize the story correctly? 

I don't know because I didn't read the whole article. However, I am white and went to MHS and I am pissed. No room for that shit.

• Like 1

First off, a good percentage of HS kids are dopes. We shouldn’t be surprised that given the opportunity they might behave in a shocking manor (or at least shocking to a perpetually outraged dumbass).

Secondly, the cultural appropriation outrage is stupid. The outrage should be “the kids theme was dress like a thug and they chose to dress like urban black youth. That’s wacist!”

Instead someone in the article is complaining that thug culture should only be for blacks.  That seems to be an odd thing to cherish. 

Also, the writer of the article thought Hawaiian day and US/America day would also be problematic. Go fuck yourself. 

Edited by Lhorn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bevo said:

First of all Memorial isn't in Houston ISD it is in Spring Branch ISD. Each village has its own police department and city hall. Second, when I went to school there we did not have any of these events and we were more than 75% white with very few blacks and a decent number of Hispanics mainly from South America. I find it strange that the school has become more diverse (with the closing of Spring Branch High School) yet racism (at least outward and obvious racism) apparently has increased.

I think everyone who knows where memorial is in Houston is scratching their heads. I grew up not too far down the beltway and that shit about border control and senoritas wouldn't have flown. 

And let one of them call an El Salvadorian a Mexican and see what happens... Especially in h.s 

16 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I think everyone who knows where memorial is in Houston is scratching their heads. I grew up not too far down the beltway and that shit about border control and senoritas wouldn't have flown. 

And let one of them call an El Salvadorian a Mexican and see what happens... Especially in h.s 

I know Kiki DeAyala (who is of Cuban decent) and graduated in 1978 from Memorial (and became an all american DE at UT) would have broken some bones if he saw that shit.

Edited by Bevo

This is supposed to reflect badly on Houston?  Over 100 High Schools in Harris County.

So, 1% of all the Harris County High Schools acted like idiots because they are in fact 14-18 yro idiots and we are supposed to believe the sky is falling with racists in Houston?

Jeez.. 

I’m pretty sure we had s school sponsored thug day in high school. We had Hawaiian day, sport day, and some others during the week. We also flew the battle flag as the school flag, so... yeah, probably racist 

4 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

I'm not getting my shit bent out of shape over his one.

Seems like the OP has a hard on for Houston. Like we are a bunch of Aryans or something. Should learn a bit about Houston before he goes blowing shit about the Bayou City.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

No way this was approved by admin.

Belton High School had a Cowboy and Indian day a few years back.

The most racist mascot in Houston is the Strake Jesuit Crusaders.

I'll show myself out.

I have to do this.....How is a Crusader a racist? 

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Hank I know you have a better comment in you than that awful fucking tweet. Don't get complacent on us.

I thought the tweet was pretty funny. You don’t get to laugh at one ignorant racial stereotype & then get offended and cry when one about your race is thrown back at you.

2 hours ago, Crusher said:

Seems like the OP has a hard on for Houston. Like we are a bunch of Aryans or something. Should learn a bit about Houston before he goes blowing shit about the Bayou City.

Agreed, especially because I'm from Houston and actually of Asian-Aryan descent.

• Like 2

In fact, the word origin of "thug" is Sanskrit --> Hindi --> English (the last being courtesy of theft by the British). Shouldn't there be outrage of cultural appropriation of this term by certain underrepresented minority groups in America?