tahoe, suburban, FJ cruiser, Jeep Wrangler, Land Rover?

2 hours ago, blacklab said:

I’ve found some of each in that price range. 

Mileage?

Stay away from the Rover for repair/maintenance costs. Avoid 2015 for Tahoe/Suburban as there are lots of issues from that being the first year of that iteration. AC system and suspension in particular. 

Why no 4Runner or Honda Pilot/Rigdeline?

Dare I say a minivan is the most practical  vehicle for your listed uses?

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Like 1

FJ's are hard to find and why Toyota quit making them is a question a lot of people who would like an alternative to the Jeep ask. So you are going to pay a premium for one of those even on the used market.  Especially since the Jeep has become the weekend/vacation vehicle of choice across many of the demographic groups.    GM screwed up not trying to revive the Hummer brand and Ford is supposed to be releasing the Bronco in 2020, but no one has a clue if it's going to look like a mom vehicle or if it's going back to it's roots.  

4 runners have a similar resale history as Tacoma because of their reputation for reliability. 

You can probably find a used Tahoe/Yukon in that price range which will have a cracked dashboard thanks to GM's typical attention to quality control and was serviced soon after the standard warranty expired.  It will either be the alternator, fuel pump or A/C that will show up on the Carfax or all three if the vehicle hit the trifecta.   Trust me I've had this occur with the GM vehicles I've owned and after the last Yukon, I said no more fricken GM no matter how good they look on the outside.   

Same could be said about the Land Rover, but I can't speak if they've gotten  their crap together.   Around here it's become the a popular alternative to the larger SUV's for soccer moms or those who are downsizing because the kids are growing up.  

17 hours ago, blacklab said:

Want something to haul the dogs around, go to the lake, home depot, etc

Looking at 2-5 year old ones, looking to spend <$25k.

Pros? Cons? Good stories and bad?

Sell me a car!

based on your username, i'm assuming you have a lot of pomeranians. if i had to guess, you could probably fit close to a dozen in a honda fit.

14 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Avoid 2015 for Tahoe/Suburban as there are lots of issues from that being the first year of that iteration. AC system and suspension in particular.

39 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

You can probably find a used Tahoe/Yukon in that price range which will have a cracked dashboard thanks to GM's typical attention to quality control and was serviced soon after the standard warranty expired.  It will either be the alternator, fuel pump or A/C that will show up on the Carfax or all three if the vehicle hit the trifecta.   Trust me I've had this occur with the GM vehicles I've owned and after the last Yukon, I said no more fricken GM no matter how good they look on the outside. 

A/C issues have been resolved with redesigned condenser and compressor line with a bracket to keep it from flexing/fracturing. Dash boards are probably the most common and failures on any GM truck platform due to shit materials and even shittier engineering. I cant say fuel pumps are a common issue, but any replacement done at a GM dealership will come with a lifetime warranty. Same with the alternator, I believe. 

Also, find one without chrome outside door handles. Obscure information, sure, but you can just trust me on this one. 

4runner or land cruiser would be sweet spot - Don't think you can find a land cruiser for less than 25k though. Bullet proof and run forever, you've seen mine that has over 260k miles. 

looks like you can find land cruisers that are in the 2010-2013 range for 25k with reasonable miles on them. No one sells their land cruisers because they are dope ass cars.

1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Dude, I own a minivan and even think it's a bad idea for blacklabs criteria.  If you have less than 2 kids there is no use for a van.  

4 x 8 sheets of building materials, lake toys capacity,  and elderly parents ability to get in and out. 

• Like 1

Toyota by a lot. Those things are bulletproof and hold up well.

Look at a Hyundai Santa Fe. Also well made and fairly low priced, you can probably snag a three-year-old one 50k under $20,000.

Tahoe over Suburban, but both have engine issues after 100k in my experience.

Stay away from a Range Rover unless you plan to drive at 20 miles an hour Fox news payment, like the 75 year olds do.

Edited by phdhorn

started poking around craigslist for 4runners about 4 hours ago, come back to thread and it seems to be the consensus.

Went and drove a 2015 at the toyota place on south I-35, other than the stereo didn't seem too much different from a 2000-2005

Got a search going on CL for ones for $3000-$8000 within 200 miles of here. Reached out to 5, going to see one monday, one sold, no response from anyone else. 

Going to pay cash save $20,000 and then spend some of that savings  on a stereo and nice seats/have seats re-done.

47 minutes ago, blacklab said:

started poking around craigslist for 4runners about 4 hours ago, come back to thread and it seems to be the consensus.

Went and drove a 2015 at the toyota place on south I-35, other than the stereo didn't seem too much different from a 2000-2005

Got a search going on CL for ones for $3000-$8000 within 200 miles of here. Reached out to 5, going to see one monday, one sold, no response from anyone else. 

Going to pay cash save $20,000 and then spend some of that savings  on a stereo and nice seats/have seats re-done.

4Runner crash ratings improved from poor to good for whiplash starting in 2010. Roof strength for roll-overs didn't improve from acceptable to good until 2014.

And yes Toyota reliability comes from putting nothing in them that hasn't been proven for years. They just got around to putting Apple Car Play in in the last couple of years but you still can't get Android Auto Connect even in a 2019 Toyota.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

I'm a huge fan of the idea of jeeps just from the looks and brand.  Unfortunately, the only two I've had experience with were unreliable.  My YJ had a number of issues with less than 85,000 miles.  A family member has a 2015 Cherokee and has already had a transmission issue (luckily it was still under warranty).  

I agree with the 4runner.  Toyotas are not only reliable but the 4runner, IMO, is one of the most rugged and best looking SUVs on the road.

27 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

If I am not mistaken, the 4Runner is one of the few SUV’s that is still built in a truck chassis rather than a car.

Only one in its size segment.

BL- You might look at older Ford Expeditions as well as some of those are pretty damn bullet proof. I wouldn't blink at 200K miles on one. You could take the whole neighborhood to the lake and tow a boat with one.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

4Runner. I have a 2006. Took it in to a good Jap repair shop once after 10 years. Told them to find find every tiny thing that needing fixing, on top of the new brake pads and new windshield squirter pump. $1500 for everything. On top of oil changes and new tires, that's all I've ever spent on it.

• Like 2

be ready to act fast on used 4runners, those things fly off the shelves. spent about 4 months trying to find a used one and finally said f it, bought a base model new. had it for 55K miles now and zero issues besides some roof trim coming loose. greatly appreciate the fact it doesn't have bells/whistles to f up, but do wish it had a powered lift gate. 

I don’t see my next vehicle being anything other than a Tacoma or a 4runner.

140k miles now on my 2013 Tacoma and the only problem was a minor electrical issue I fixed myself for $40 and replaced the ball joints around 135k miles. But I drive on a TON of shitty roads, railroad tracks and some off-road. It’s to be expected with the ball joints. They had life left in them, but I chose to replace them.

Had a 04 4Runner drove it until the wife got a new 2016 4Runner in December of 2015. Have 52k on this one and it’s a great car. Plan to keep to keep it another decade 

Loved both of them. They are slow as shit compared to the v8 SUVs and all the turbo models but that’s not what they are made for.

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

Just 72 payments of $99.95 and this baby is all mine

4r.jpg

With a 49.9% APR???   Go for it before it's gone Mofo!  

Seriously this would be almost perfect for your checkbox requirements.   Added bonus the brush guard and after market wheels.   Tire looks like they have a lot of tread on them to go.

Was actually $4k cash. 1997, 199k miles, starts and runs like a top.

I'm not going to set any land speed records in the thing, and the ride is slightly more truck like than my e63. I don't think I will ever get a speeding ticket in it. 75 is about as fast as I'd want to go, and as I drove aroud town this morning I'd look down after getting to a comfortable speed and I'd be doing the speed limit. Unlike the e63 that I'd get to a comfortable speed and then look down and realize I was doing 20 over the speed limit.

Has a few issues that I'll need to take care of but it seems real solid. The abs and brake lights are on, and the voltage is surging between 14-17 volts.

Discovered the cup holder in the dash about 10 minutes after the cup holder post, but they are broken. Found a video on how to change out the center console with a later model that did have cup holders, I may have to go around some junkyards in south Austin and find one. 

On 5/17/2019 at 6:24 PM, elfenix said:

a $25k land rover better have a carmax warranty attached to it

^^^^^ This  run away... run far far away

FJ Cruisers are cool, but the blindspot in the back is enormous...  but with the advent of back-up cams it's not really as big an issue.   Suicide doors...  they call them that because you'll want to commit suicide after dealing with them for a few years.  Take a shopping cart and try to put groceries in back when parked next to someone else....  RAGE!

Out of that line up I'd look for a 2004-06 Wrangler LJ ...  It's a long wheelbase version of the TJ.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Was actually $4k cash. 1997, 199k miles, starts and runs like a top.

I'm not going to set any land speed records in the thing, and the ride is slightly more truck like than my e63. I don't think I will ever get a speeding ticket in it. 75 is about as fast as I'd want to go, and as I drove aroud town this morning I'd look down after getting to a comfortable speed and I'd be doing the speed limit. Unlike the e63 that I'd get to a comfortable speed and then look down and realize I was doing 20 over the speed limit.

Has a few issues that I'll need to take care of but it seems real solid. The abs and brake lights are on, and the voltage is surging between 14-17 volts.

Discovered the cup holder in the dash about 10 minutes after the cup holder post, but they are broken. Found a video on how to change out the center console with a later model that did have cup holders, I may have to go around some junkyards in south Austin and find one. 

It looks darn good for a 97'.   No yellow headlights and paint looks great.

Darn good find.  

21 hours ago, blacklab said:

Just 72 payments of $99.95 and this baby is all mine

4r.jpg

Looks great but you need to lift it about three to six inches to let everyone know that you're a bit insecure in your manhood.

• Like 1