tahoe, suburban, FJ cruiser, Jeep Wrangler, Land Rover?

On 5/17/2019 at 8:16 PM, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Mileage?

Stay away from the Rover for repair/maintenance costs. Avoid 2015 for Tahoe/Suburban as there are lots of issues from that being the first year of that iteration. AC system and suspension in particular. 

Why no 4Runner or Honda Pilot/Rigdeline?

Dare I say a minivan is the most practical  vehicle for your listed uses?

Can we get a mod over here, and ban this soulless individual ?  What in the fucking fuck ??!!  Puurposefully suggesting a mini van ??!!

He redeemed himself with the 4 Runner suggestion though.  Yes, the correct answer is a 4 Runner. Dependable, looks good, good storage space, not too large, runs forever, easy to get parts any where in the known world.

No to the Tahoe because of the new platform issues.  

No to a Suburban as just a "run around" errand car. Too big, kind of a pain to deal with in some Parking situations.  

A Tahoe, my daily driver is a better choice, but you need to go to an older model.  I've been driving them since 2000, and have been very happy with their performance.

Love a jeep but not practical at all except for tooling around on a cool sunny day.  Putting their tops up when it rains sucks, and they still have not figured out a soft top system that doesn't leak.

Rover ?  Keep a gofundme site open

FJ , can't rec one way or the other

My family had a 96 4runner that we all drove at various times for over 20 years.  Never had any major repairs.  My dad gifted it to a friend and she is still driving it without any issues.  I'm sure we'll see them in the Congo in 20 years still humming along like those old Land Rovers.

https://www.ksat.com/news/king-anbarkios-owner-fighting-for-life

As someone who is also searching for a vehicle,  also seriously considering the 4Runner.   However,  safety ratings are below average for rollover and driver side impact.    

Check the above vid at :042.    This was a single vehicle accident,  driver lost control.   Passenger stated it was possible 4Runner was sideswiped by another vehicle but no proof.   Passenger survived,  driver did not.    The incline is only about 15-20 degrees.   Passenger stated in another interview that the 4Runner just kept rolling.    Don't know if speed was a factor. 

Can't believe the roof caved to that extent. 

34 minutes ago, torre said:

https://www.ksat.com/news/king-anbarkios-owner-fighting-for-life

As someone who is also searching for a vehicle,  also seriously considering the 4Runner.   However,  safety ratings are below average for rollover and driver side impact.    

Check the above vid at :042.    This was a single vehicle accident,  driver lost control.   Passenger stated it was possible 4Runner was sideswiped by another vehicle but no proof.   Passenger survived,  driver did not.    The incline is only about 15-20 degrees.   Passenger stated in another interview that the 4Runner just kept rolling.    Don't know if speed was a factor. 

Can't believe the roof caved to that extent. 

Surprising for Toyota. You'd think such a robustly dependable vehicle would be impact safer.

Well, for the discussion, let’s say the 4Runner and Tacoma are essentially the same vehicle. I can’t refute the stats, but can add my anecdotal experience.

June 2013 I was driving about 60 down MOPAC in the rain in my 2010 Tacoma. Nothing heavy. Hit some standing water and hydroplaned. I went into the guard wire and the truck popped up into the air and landed on the driver’s side. Side impact airbags deployed as I spun and slid down the shoulder and back under the guard rail. I climbed up and out of the passenger door without a scratch or bruise.

Not apples to apples, but I felt good enough about that truck to replace it with a 2013.

35 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

In my area, Rovers are popular with small angry women who have depth perception issues.

Kind of like some of the assholes around my part in lifted trucks who think they own the road.   You know. the dipshits with an  F-350 dully   and they pull anything much more than a Uhaul trailer   or a boat once in awhile 

The small angry women around here stick to the Yukon and Tahoes for the most part, but I've seen a shift to the Rovers and Infinti large SUVs.  The more middle aged ones who now without kids at home or teenagers about to leave are driving Mercedes, BMW,  or Volvo SUV's. 

36 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Well, for the discussion, let’s say the 4Runner and Tacoma are essentially the same vehicle. I can’t refute the stats, but can add my anecdotal experience.

June 2013 I was driving about 60 down MOPAC in the rain in my 2010 Tacoma. Nothing heavy. Hit some standing water and hydroplaned. I went into the guard wire and the truck popped up into the air and landed on the driver’s side. Side impact airbags deployed as I spun and slid down the shoulder and back under the guard rail. I climbed up and out of the passenger door without a scratch or bruise.

Not apples to apples, but I felt good enough about that truck to replace it with a 2013.

Nothing helps solidify  brand loyalty than  first hand experience.  

• Like 1

That ain't dead. That's just getting good.

Well, frame was twisted. Insurance totaled it. Since Tacoma’s retain their value like a mofo, they paid out $26000 on a 3 year old truck. But yeah, maybe it’s in El Salvador on a ranch. I wish I had taken a couple of the wheel caps as I am missing one on my current truck.

19 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Well, frame was twisted. Insurance totaled it. Since Tacoma’s retain their value like a mofo, they paid out $26000 on a 3 year old truck. But yeah, maybe it’s in El Salvador on a ranch. I wish I had taken a couple of the wheel caps as I am missing one on my current truck.

Heck, it's probably rolling around the Monterrey suburbs looking shiny and new.

I rammed a truck in Mexico and my car looked like it'd hit a mine. After 6 weeks of haggling where I started off as Gringo but ended up as Almost That White Mexican On The Telenovela, got the thing's frame straightened and (most) things fixed for USD$750. At one point I showed the head mechanic photos of my baby nieces, said they were my daughters who would ride in that car, implying that he'd burn in hell if he skimped on the frame-straightening. I actually had to kidnap him by guile when he'd "repaired" the car so the Mexicans I worked with could shame him into doing it right. At the end of that time, I had invites to parties, houses, and eternal brotherhood from the mechanic, the guy I rammed, and a guy who showed up at the wreck to argue on my behalf because he didn't like the guy I rammed.

Anyway, car still runs great.

• Like 4

Or being driven around Syria or Afghanistan.

Everyone I know that's had a 4Runner has the same story.  Drove it forever without a problem.  Resale value is great, which makes it difficult to find one that's fairly cheap.  Someone said if you find a used one buy it right then and they were right.  They hold their value great and it's hard to find them used.  It helps that Toyota doesn't make very many.  When they discontinued the FJ, they just converted that portion of the plant to 4Runners, since they were essentially the same car.  They have a very finite production capacity relative to demand and there's never been a move to increase it.  Meanwhile, they're moving heaven and earth to build more Rav 4's.

Everyone I know that's had a Land Rover has the same story.  Fucking money pits and it's one of life's mysteries as to why people keep buying them but they do.

I hope blacklab keeps us updated .  He quoted $25k initially, the spends $4k which means he has room to add upgrades, or fix the inevitable.  😀. I am interested because I've been throwing around the idea of getting something cheap like that, (or a Cherokee) to take on beach trips.  I'd like to cruise down PINS and camp and shit.

Edited by dingleberryswitzer

16 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Everyone I know that's had a Land Rover has the same story.  Fucking money pits and it's one of life's mysteries as to why people keep buying them but they do.

Had a RR Sport for 3 years with the diesel and had no issues outside of my wife agreeing to let the dealership do her brakes at 40k miles. It got 25-27 MPG and ran like a champ. We almost bought another one but ended up deciding we needed more space. I paid virtually the same thing for the Expedition I bought her as what the replacement RRS was going to be, so cost is relative at this point. However, with the suspension it had under it and the electronics on it, I would definitely be afraid of a used one. The quality has improved significantly in my view, but parts are f-ing expensive for them. It’s low volume and imported, so you’re going to pay through the nose for everything.

toyotas are the benchmark for reliability and quality.  with that said, i never liked the 4runners.  they are bad for roll overs and are underpowered.

i never had a gm vehicle until the missus started working for gm.  got a 2015 tahoe and absolutely loved it.  didn't have a single issue in the 4 years that i had it.  like it so much so that i bought a 2019 tahoe.  love the space, power, comfort, and handling.  i don't think i'm ever not getting a tahoe.  

20 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Or they've got some small angry woman chihuahua-barking their ear off for one because all her small angry friends have one.

most range rovers (whether real or sport) i see are driven by people who are either douchebag gym bros or the female equivalent, or west U realtors.  70% are female. 

that velar is really good looking, though.  especially when lowered just a little bit. 

I put a 1k stereo system in my 1997 LX450 (land cruiser) and it made a world of difference  with android auto+ apple carplay a gps antenna and integrated microphone. 

Redoing seats costs nothing as well, I think all in at around 6.5-7k including some of the minor mechanical stuff you talked about is a steal for that car and it'll run foreverrrrrrr

16 minutes ago, elfenix said:

most range rovers (whether real or sport) i see are driven by people who are either douchebag gym bros or the female equivalent, or west U realtors.  70% are female. 

that velar is really good looking, though.  especially when lowered just a little bit. 

This right here pretty accurate.  My former office was next door to a title company and it must have either been a company holiday if you didn't see at least a couple of Range Rovers making stops.  

5 hours ago, crash_davis said:

toyotas are the benchmark for reliability and quality.  with that said, i never liked the 4runners.  they are bad for roll overs and are underpowered.

i never had a gm vehicle until the missus started working for gm.  got a 2015 tahoe and absolutely loved it.  didn't have a single issue in the 4 years that i had it.  like it so much so that i bought a 2019 tahoe.  love the space, power, comfort, and handling.  i don't think i'm ever not getting a tahoe.  

Can I send you part of the bill for the $5K in repairs between when the warranty ended and before 60K miles for my 2015 Yukon?   I will never buy another GM product.

11 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I hope blacklab keeps us updated .  He quoted $25k initially, the spends $4k which means he has room to add upgrades, or fix the inevitable.  😀. I am interested because I've been throwing around the idea of getting something cheap like that, (or a Cherokee) to take on beach trips.  I'd like to cruise down PINS and camp and shit.

Noticed the other night that the lights were dimming and getting brighter. Tracked it down to the alternator. I have a new alternator now. Wouldn’t pass inspection because the battery was disconnected in the last day. 

Now looking for a car stereo and a place to get the seats reupholstered 

As far as going from $25k to $4k I drove a two year old 4Runner and other than the stereo and seats being nicer than the 22 year old one they would both get me from point a to point b, and I’m sure I’m not going to spend $21k in seats, stereo and repairs. 

I had an old 4runner...   also a '97 IIRC.   I loved that old truck.  Big enough to carry a good bit of stuff with the rear seats folded down, but not humongous. 

I would assume the only things your giving up VS a newer 4 runner are looks (subjective) and having to perform more maintenance as things wear out.  Springs/shocks are notoriously harsh on that truck and frankly I'd be happy once you have an excuse to upgrade to some nicer OME suspension parts.  

Also keep an eye out for Gen I tundra rotors and calipers...   kick ass break upgrade for your 4 runner...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/01-tundra-brakes-installed-98-gen-3-4runner-146160/

Also toyota truck enthusiast support is incredible online..   any problem you've got has been posted with pics and DIY

8 hours ago, blacklab said:

As far as going from $25k to $4k I drove a two year old 4Runner and other than the stereo and seats being nicer than the 22 year old one they would both get me from point a to point b, and I’m sure I’m not going to spend $21k in seats, stereo and repairs. 

You might check out Cal-trend seat covers.  Coverking also makes good ones, and Clazzio does leather ones.  Probably easier than actual reupholstering.  I've been in a 4runner that had the Cal-trend seats and you really couldn't tell they were covers.

https://www.caltrend.com/toyota-4runner-seat-covers/

https://www.clazzio.com/

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

50 minutes ago, blacklab said:

ha

after looking at the caltrend website I'm pretty sure the seat covers he has are caltrend.

the problem with covers is the leather seats below them are pretty fucked up and make the seat uneven and uncomfortable.

Yeah if the padding is deteriorated that won't work.

• 1 year later...

Looking for some Land Cruiser advice.  Always been my dream car.  Looking at purchasing a new 2021 and wanted to get any feedback on the model and features.  Both good and bad.  Why do I want new?  I have been driving the same pick-up for 19 years so want to treat myself.  Would consider the LX570 as well so any buying advice you can give would be much appreciated.

1 hour ago, LaunchPad said:
Looking for some Land Cruiser advice.  Always been my dream car.  Looking at purchasing a new 2021 and wanted to get any feedback on the model and features.  Both good and bad.  Why do I want new?  I have been driving the same pick-up for 19 years so want to treat myself.  Would consider the LX570 as well so any buying advice you can give would be much appreciated.

I just got a 2021 Landcruiser a month ago.  Love it and plan on keeping it for a long, long time.  I originally wanted an LX but wife drove one and did not like it so we went with the LC, but I'm glad we did.  I hated the joystick controls in the LX.  LC has a touch screen that works far better.  Only downside to LC is that you can't get AHC (hydraulic suspension in LX only) and the ML stereo in the Lexus is better.

Not sure if you know, but 2021 is the last year for Landcruisers in the US.  If you want a new one, get looking ASAP.  Production stops in March or April and then that's it.  LXs will still be around in some form but it sounds like they're dropping the V8 for a twin turbo V6.  Expect to pay close to MSRP for a LC as demand has skyrocketed since the announcement.

If you want a black interior, you should be able to find what you want in terms of color combos.  If you want the Terra (brown) interior, you might have to do some looking.  I'm in CO and had to buy from a dealer in OKC because there were no Terra LCs in the entire state of CO when I bought.

Good luck.  Let me know if you have more questions.  And get signed up at ih8mud.com asap.  

05a22328fd4a7a6d81bc4d1ddea5f80a.jpg

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I just got a 2021 Landcruiser a month ago.  Love it and plan on keeping it for a long, long time.  I originally wanted an LX but wife drove one and did not like it so we went with the LC, but I'm glad we did.  I hated the joystick controls in the LX.  LC has a touch screen that works far better.  Only downside to LC is that you can't get AHC (hydraulic suspension in LX only) and the ML stereo in the Lexus is better.

Not sure if you know, but 2021 is the last year for Landcruisers in the US.  If you want a new one, get looking ASAP.  Production stops in March or April and then that's it.  LXs will still be around in some form but it sounds like they're dropping the V8 for a twin turbo V6.  Expect to pay close to MSRP for a LC as demand has skyrocketed since the announcement.

If you want a black interior, you should be able to find what you want in terms of color combos.  If you want the Terra (brown) interior, you might have to do some looking.  I'm in CO and had to buy from a dealer in OKC because there were no Terra LCs in the entire state of CO when I bought.

Good luck.  Let me know if you have more questions.  And get signed up at ih8mud.com asap.  

05a22328fd4a7a6d81bc4d1ddea5f80a.jpg

Great info.  Have them bringing one by the house today for a test drive and make sure it fits in the garage.

• Hook 'Em 1

Funny this thread got bumped. The 4runner I bought based on this thread hit a patch of ice a week ago Saturday and is totaled.

4runnerwreck.jpeg

After looking around a bit I decided on an FJ Cruiser and brought this home today:

00C0C_3eXpnugtkaLz_0jm0ew_600x450.jpg

After everyone telling me how small it is inside, it seems way wider and roomier for the driver than the 4runner. The blind spots are a bitch and you can't see shit out the back so I'm getting a back up camera for sure.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

[mention=1769]Chewbacca[/mention] talk to me about the rear cargo space with those seats folded up.  Has it been a pain?
I took out my 3rd row since we never use it. The seats do take up a good amount of storage space back there. Our 2 Newfies appreciate the extra room going to and from the mountains.

Taking out the seats takes 10 minutes so we will have them if we need them for a road trip.

3 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I took out my 3rd row since we never use it. The seats do take up a good amount of storage space back there. Our 2 Newfies appreciate the extra room going to and from the mountains.

Taking out the seats takes 10 minutes so we will have them if we need them for a road trip.

That’s good to know removing them is that easy.  

So FWIW, the wife's LX (LandCruiser with better carpet) had the 4WD actuator die and the radiator crack because of the cold.  $3000 all in to fix.  Not happy with the most expensive repair I have ever had being done on a 7-yo supposedly "bulletproof, built to last 25 years" car.  Especially after 10 years of owning a fucking Land Rover and never spending anywhere near that much on a repair.

Investigating suing the dealer because even though they charged me for antifreeze each time they flushed the radiator under maintenance, apparently the radiator was 100% water when it cracked.  So I'm inclined to believe that one's not the car's fault.  But the actuator is a fucking $1600 part.

So FWIW, the wife's LX (LandCruiser with better carpet) had the 4WD actuator die and the radiator crack because of the cold.  $3000 all in to fix.  Not happy with the most expensive repair I have ever had being done on a 7-yo supposedly "bulletproof, built to last 25 years" car.  Especially after 10 years of owning a fucking Land Rover and never spending anywhere near that much on a repair.
Investigating suing the dealer because even though they charged me for antifreeze each time they flushed the radiator under maintenance, apparently the radiator was 100% water when it cracked.  So I'm inclined to believe that one's not the car's fault.  But the actuator is a fucking $1600 part.
Radiator is a known flaw, unfortunately, but cold weather won't crack it, it just develops a crack. I've had mine in -20*. Haven't heard of issues with the actuator. What year is it?