2018 Rain Thread

Hollywood

6 minutes ago, ftf82 said:

Which side of the 29 bridge is that Deej? Apparently the owners of Camp Longhorn were encouraged to vacate their homes around Camp Longhorn down closer to the spillway. 

If they are close to the water, good call. It's flat there before the elevation kicks in on that side of Long Mountain.

4 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

i think that those gates are carefully managed in coordination with each other. i drive home via redbud every day to south austin and tom miller was wide open. lcra's priorities are horseshoe bay and lake austin, probably in that order.

they will absolutely flood austin proper to keep those rich people dry.

If they try to favor those people who own million-dollar homes and flood Austin proper, that means flooding properties in Austin worth tens of millions of dollars (or more). 

Those people who own those million-dollar homes, they will bitch and moan and call their lawyers and file lawsuits if they get flooded  

Those people who own 8-figure properties along Lady Bird?  They won’t call their lawyers if they get flooded. They will call the private numbers of state legislators. 

That’s not even touching on catastrophic flooding near Bastrop, Smithville, etc. because if Austin is flooding, there is nothing stopping that water from reaching Bastrop, etc.  

23 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

The Colorado River runs 30 miles north of San Angelo.  Normally out there the land is dry enough that a lot of that rain gets absorbed.

Not now.  That stuff will come right down into Buchanan et. al.

Any water coming down the Colorado from west of Eden will hit OH Ivie Reservoir....and last I checked Ivie was only 18% full

3 minutes ago, bolverk said:

The Concho also flows directly into Ivie, which really needs all the runoff it can take. The folks in the Concho Valley and Permian Basin need that water.

True that....but anything west south and north of Angelo...(north concho, middle concho, and south concho) will have to fill Twin Buttes and OC Fisher....and they are both below 20% full....it would take a flood of biblical proportions to fill all them

• Like 1

Very likely a topic for another thread, but what in the fuck were they thinking building the lakes they did around San Angelo? Ivie is different, as it has multiple water sources, but Fisher and Twin Buttes have basically been empty my entire life. My entire family is from that area, but no one can give me a good reason to what the hell they were thinking, other than, hey, this looks like a good place for a dam. One of those conversations I wish I had had with my grandad before he passed, as he lived in that area his entire life except for the 4 years at TCU and the 3 years in the Pacific for WW2.

Just now, UnivTex34 said:

Very likely a topic for another thread, but what in the fuck were they thinking building the lakes they did around San Angelo? Ivie is different, as it has multiple water sources, but Fisher and Twin Buttes have basically been empty my entire life. My entire family is from that area, but no one can give me a good reason to what the hell they were thinking, other than, hey, this looks like a good place for a dam. One of those conversations I wish I had had with my grandad before he passed, as he lived in that area his entire life except for the 4 years at TCU and the 3 years in the Pacific for WW2.

Huge flood in Angelo back in the 30's prompted those lakes

Just now, Hpara759 said:

I guess what would be a better question....who would build a town where 3 rivers converge....with the history of the " Ben Ficklin flood" of 1882

Always got a good chuckle passing through there on 87 when the adolescent voice in my head would ask, "Whatcha Ben Ficklin?"

52 minutes ago, Hpara759 said:

Any water coming down the Colorado from west of Eden will hit OH Ivie Reservoir....and last I checked Ivie was only 18% full

Yeah you're right but anything NE of San Angelo won't, and the rains pretty much half and half (the Ivie region and the Lake Travis basin)..

Edited by phdhorn

City of Austin: When eight gates are open, 50,000 cubic feet of water per second will flow from the dam.

That will cause some streets to flood, says Karl McArthur with Austin’s Watershed.

“We would definitely have to close Cesar Chavez in the vicinity of Lamar Crossing,” he said. “At Longhorn Dam we would have flow over the emergency spillway. The emergency spillway is Pleasant Valley Road, so we’d have to close Pleasant Valley road there.”

Got dam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, UnivTex34 said:

Somebody already mentioned the floods, but partly due to some massive/infamous floods of the 30s, from the 40s through the 70s, the state built thousands of soil conservation ponds, lakes, etc.   Some were pods behind simple dykes on small creeks known for flooding, others were actual lakes, and these sound like they fit in that category. 

Judging by the FishBrain app, a lot of the soil conservation ponds have some amazing fishing. 

20 minutes ago, South Austin said:

There was some water on Ceasar Chavez at Lamar at the low point under the MoPac bridge when driving to the office shortly before 7am.  Not enough to close the road just yet, but enough to slow traffic considerably.  I looked over at Town Lake and could see how high the water level had risen. 

Sounded like they may need to close Caesar Chavez at Lamar when they open gates at the dam today.

5 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I thought they might have already opened the gates.  If not, then they'll definitely need to close Caesar Chavez based on what I saw.

Yup, about a foot of water at the north end of Caesar Chavez when I drove through. Traffic into downtown really beginning to back up (more than usual). 

For those in the know...

I have a fishing trip planned for Matagorda next week.  Wed -Sat .  Plan on camping back in 3 mile cut.  

Any idea what happens down there when we start releasing this much water?

I went last year in early Nov, a few weeks after all the Harvey floods and slayed them.  It was just about perfect.

For those in the know...
I have a fishing trip planned for Matagorda next week.  Wed -Sat .  Plan on camping back in 3 mile cut.  
Any idea what happens down there when we start releasing this much water?
I went last year in early Nov, a few weeks after all the Harvey floods and slayed them.  It was just about perfect.
You good