Best Breakfast Food

SurlyORama

3 hours ago, RMac5 said:

Raisins do suck!

Gotta go ahead and disagree there, but of course context matters. Handful of dry raisins? Blech. Cooked in oatmeal on top of the stove, getting all plump and juicy, then coated with a little brown sugar and cinnamon? Mmmmmmmm.

3 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

That's the shit my grandmother always had at her house.  I would never eat pancakes when we visited because I despised Karo syrup so much.

Oh my goodness, the LIGHT Karo on pancakes? That's nuts. My dad loved loved LOVED the dark Karo on his. While I much preferred the standard "Mrs Butterworth's", "Log Cabin", or whatever, at least the dark Karo was edible. 

I consider the light is just for (very limited) use in some recipes, myself.

1 hour ago, SurlyORama said:

Oh my goodness, the LIGHT Karo on pancakes? That's nuts. My dad loved loved LOVED the dark Karo on his. While I much preferred the standard "Mrs Butterworth's", "Log Cabin", or whatever, at least the dark Karo was edible. 

I consider the light is just for (very limited) use in some recipes, myself.

My paternal granny swore it was a panacea for the lockbowels....she wasn't wrong

On 5/24/2019 at 1:45 PM, Walden Ponderer said:

I actually forgot all about one of my favorite breakfasts, because I haven't had it in a while. Sucuk (Turkish sausage), sliced into rounds no more than a centimeter or two thick, fried, and served with scrambled eggs. Get the "hot" obviously. Turks who like spice like really good, flavorful varieties of hot paprika, but Turks who don't like spice cook some of the blandest shit you've ever laid taste buds on.

0003861_beef-sucuk-hot_480.jpeg

Never seen that before, sounds good (no homo).  Where do you buy that? 

Just now, Jack Straw said:

Never seen that before, sounds good (no homo).  Where do you buy that? 

Any halal meat market will have it; lots of Mediterranean delis, too. And in College Station, Farm Patch (a local grocer) carries it, along with a bunch of other international brands. It's just about the greasiest mess you can fry up. Makes the eggs taste really, really good to fry them in all that beef fat, too.
12.jpg?i10c=img.resize(height:160)

• Like 2

On 5/25/2019 at 12:23 PM, BabaYaga said:

Started out buying and curing pork bellies from Costco.  Bought simple pink salts online.  7 days in the fridge and you're good to go.  There are so many cures you can buy and cure recipes.  Tried sweet but didn't like.  I prefer a thick cut with heavy pepper.  1/2 in to 3/4 in cut.  Start with half the the pork belly.  Cube the other half and make pork burnt ends!

I did a three day cure and fucked it up the first time. I didn’t rinse it well enough so it was way too salty. That being said, it makes a great 12 hour brine for smoked bone in pork chops. Someone with way more cred than I please start a “making bacon” thread. 

• Like 2

I'm a fan of oatmeal when done right. Done wrong using instant or quick oats with nasty artificial flavoring and it's gross. Seriously America, how can you fuck up something so gawd damn simple?

Steel cut oats, slow cooked. I top with granola, dried fruit, and fruit compote.

• Like 1

I do savory oatmeal.  Siracha, shredded cheese, peppers, Cavender's, dash of A1.  I don't like sweets that much so adding brown sugar, fruit, and milk just doesn't do it for me, so I went the complete opposite direction.  It's actually pretty damn good.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

I'm a fan of oatmeal when done right. Done wrong using instant or quick oats with nasty artificial flavoring and it's gross. Seriously America, how can you fuck up something so gawd damn simple?
Steel cut oats, slow cooked. I top with granola, dried fruit, and fruit compote.
Same way we fuck up everything else: a strong preference for cheapness and convenience over taste and healthiness.

3 hours ago, elfenix said:
6 hours ago, Viking said:

Same way we fuck up everything else: a strong preference for cheapness and convenience over taste and healthiness.

After years of having regular steel cut oats, I had a moment of weakness / stupidity and bought one of those prepackaged, add-water-and-microwave jobs. Jesus fuck it was terrible. 

I mean maybe some people like adding enough sugar to your oatmeal to turn the taste into that of a wet disintegrated cookie, but no thanks. Cinnamon. That's it. 

• 4 months later...

One of the most important skills an expatriated Texan needs to learn is how to carefully read a menu.

In Texas, there weren't very many restaurants where I would order Huevos Rancheros. Frankly, most places, it's a bit of a joke dish, and not just because of what the idiom means. Most places, it's what white people do to pretend they can do spicy food. There are some notable exceptions (the Oasis Cafe in Marathon, for example, does 'em up legit) but for the most part, if you're getting Tex-Mex eggs, the smart play is for migas.

But nobody in North Carolina knows what the fuck you are talking about when it comes to migas. It's like they don't even know how to google the word.

This morning, however, I happened to read through the menu at one of our favorite local eateries, and their daily special, "Huevos Rancheros", were straight up Tex-Mex migas -- "Fried corn tortilla strips, mixed with farm-fresh eggs, onions, peppers, hoop cheese, and served with black beans and homestyle fries."

The "hoop cheese" would have thrown me for a loop, except that's a big deal here -- it's the local homemade cheddar, which is on practically every diner menu in the Triangle.

They were legit. They were definitely migas, though, not "Huevos Rancheros".

• 1 year later...
9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Sausage McGriddle. 

Those are addicting and tasty.

My perfect breakfast consists of fried eggs over easy, thick cut bacon (a nice cut of fried ham also works) breakfast potatoes, toast with good butter and either strawberry or apricot preserves and some cantaloupe with some salt and pepper on it. Cantaloupe goes great with bacon.

4 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Those are addicting and tasty.

My perfect breakfast consists of fried eggs over easy, thick cut bacon (a nice cut of fried ham also works) breakfast potatoes, toast with good butter and either strawberry or apricot preserves and some cantaloupe with some salt and pepper on it. Cantaloupe goes great with bacon.

A few months back, I would crush a Sausage McGriddle every Saturday morning. McDonald’s breakfast is criminally underrated. 

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

A few months back, I would crush a Sausage McGriddle every Saturday morning. McDonald’s breakfast is criminally underrated. 

You are correct about McDonalds' breakfast.

Those scrambled egg platters with sausage and/or bacon with a hash brown and pancake are dame tasty.

Scrambled eggs are great.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I haven’t eaten anything other than breakfast at McD’s in 20 years.  Their breakfast is just fine in a pinch, and I find myself in a pinch 2-3 times a month.

This is correct answer. That said, I had a bite of a double quarter pounder with cheese recently, and it was pretty damned good. 

11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

This is correct answer. That said, I had a bite of a double quarter pounder with cheese recently, and it was pretty damned good. 

It had more pickles than you remembered before, right? Because they changed their burger patties a couple years ago and now they’re flavorless hockey pucks of faux meat. I’ll have an occasional Egg McMuffin because those are still made with real eggs and I’ll shamefully have a hash brown to go with it. I’ll do that maybe 3-4 times a year. I don’t eat any fast food burgers anymore. Wendy’s made some similar change in their burgers probably a couple years before McDonald’s did and they became inedible too. If you try a burger from McDonald’s again, pinch off a piece of just the burger patty and eat that and see how it “tastes.”

It sucks because I used to love a Quarter Cheese and back in the day Wendy’s burgers kicked all kinds of ass. Nowadays the answer to, “Where’s the beef?” is “Don’t know. Not here.”

26 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It had more pickles than you remembered before, right? Because they changed their burger patties a couple years ago and now they’re flavorless hockey pucks of faux meat. I’ll have an occasional Egg McMuffin because those are still made with real eggs and I’ll shamefully have a hash brown to go with it. I’ll do that maybe 3-4 times a year. I don’t eat any fast food burgers anymore. Wendy’s made some similar change in their burgers probably a couple years before McDonald’s did and they became inedible too. If you try a burger from McDonald’s again, pinch off a piece of just the burger patty and eat that and see how it “tastes.”

It sucks because I used to love a Quarter Cheese and back in the day Wendy’s burgers kicked all kinds of ass. Nowadays the answer to, “Where’s the beef?” is “Don’t know. Not here.”

I thought the double quarter pounder tasted pretty good aside from the pickles and ketchup. If you haven't had a burger since January, any burger is going to taste good. It is odd McD's doesn't put lettuce and tomato on many of their burgers. 

2 hours ago, RollLeft said:

A side of freshly washed, sliced cucumbers and tomatoes that have been chilled goes well with many breakfasts.  I like them most with fresh hot bagels and cream cheese.   

sliced cucumbers and tomatoes goes with pretty much anything.  i love em.

• Hook 'Em 1

The best breakfast food is a properly made biscuit. Put honey on it, put jelly on it, put sausage and eggs on it, put gravy on it, it doesn’t matter because it works with damn near everything.

Doctor said i had to give up bread, so now I’m on an overnight oatmeal kick. Good oats, almond milk, cinnamon, and peanut butter in the fridge overnight topped with a little honey, blueberries, and a banana makes for a solid breakfast actually.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Brew said:

Good oats, almond milk, cinnamon, and peanut butter in the fridge overnight topped with a little honey, blueberries, and a banana makes for a solid breakfast actually.

you cook them before you refrigerate right?

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I humbly submit the following to the thread : 

- Jim's Diner : Pork chops, fried eggs, hash browns, biscuits, black coffee. 

- Big Bear Diner : Steak, scrambled eggs, hash browns, toast, black coffee 

Both are winners. 

It's trendier than hell, but I will begrudgingly admit to liking Snooze AM.  

Snooze does pretty good work and at a good price point. I never had anything against them. 

<-------- McDs lover, eat there way too often for breakfast, lunch or dinner.  Their breakfast is King, will usually do a platter ala carte with just eggs & sausage for low carb.  A local place slays a breakfast sandwich with eggs, cheese, sausage on hard roll.