Best Breakfast Food

SurlyORama

10 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Blueberry cake only, but duly noted.

Try an applesauce donut if you can find one. I could find them where I spent my adolescence in Indiana, anyplace that sold donuts. And also made by a friend’s mom who owned a “Fry Daddy,” a little consumer deep fat fryer. I’ve never found them in central Ohio and I’ve never bothered to try making donuts at home. But those were awesome.

Cold steak? Sure. Cold eggs? No. When I was a kid I ate cold hard boiled eggs on or just after Easter but that got old real fast. I can’t even begin to imagine cold eggs in any other form.

I haven’t done it in decades but there’s nothing wrong with cold leftover spaghetti for breakfast. I dated a girl in the 90’s who liked that. I didn’t join her at the time but I’ve done it before and I totally get it. 

I'm a big fan of the European's buffet cold cut sandwich. 

Also, and I know it's gonna raise a bunch of hackles, but Vegemite on buttered cheap white toast the fucking tits. Especially with runny eggs and bacon.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Try an applesauce donut if you can find one. I could find them where I spent my adolescence in Indiana, anyplace that sold donuts. And also made by a friend’s mom who owned a “Fry Daddy,” a little consumer deep fat fryer. I’ve never found them in central Ohio and I’ve never bothered to try making donuts at home. But those were awesome.

No one reading this thread needed an explanation on what a  Fry Daddy is.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

There are really only two legitimate responses to this thread:

Legitimate breakfast tacos from your favorite joint.

Whataburger jalapeño cheddar biscuit with your preference of bacon or sausage and egg and cheese.

anything else is just bullshit and you know it.  I know it.  Your mom knows it.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

There are really only two legitimate responses to this thread:
Legitimate breakfast tacos from your favorite joint.
Whataburger jalapeño cheddar biscuit with your preference of bacon or sausage and egg and cheese.
anything else is just bullshit and you know it.  I know it.  Your mom knows it.

You’re close. Your disdain for south Louisiana gas station boudin balls is noted. You just made the list.

Smoked queso and brats last night, and did some baby potatoes in the air fryer as a side.

This morning? Sautéed the potatoes in butter and olive oil with fresh garlic, scrambled some eggs, and smothered the potatoes with the leftover smoked queso.

05dd2fc49de1cb2beb0b5678ea58309c.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

I had homemade buttermilk biscuits this morning.  I contend that the two finalists are a warm biscuit with butter and honey or a legit breakfast taco with a homemade four tortilla.

Just grabbed a machacado con huevo on a fluffy flour tortilla from El Nopalito in New Braunfels. It was perfect.

There are people in this world who do not have breakfast tacos available to them. Poor bastards.

Just grabbed a machacado con huevo on a fluffy flour tortilla from El Nopalito in New Braunfels. It was perfect.

There are people in this world who do not have breakfast tacos available to them. Poor bastards.

I wish I could find a decent machacado taco in Austin. That old taco place in the caboose on 5th had it years ago. Taco Haven in SA is my gold standard.

24 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

435f774128f7748e4782ae61037d19c9.jpg

Counterpoint:

7CD24D1D-7A69-4E3F-8B85-6EBCCD4B1C5A.jpeg
Also, pro-tip on the tubed sausage. Throw it in the freezer for a little bit, 15-20 minutes or so, before slicing and it will make it easier to slice nice, uniform discs. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Counterpoint:

7CD24D1D-7A69-4E3F-8B85-6EBCCD4B1C5A.jpeg
Also, pro-tip on the tubed sausage. Throw it in the freezer for a little bit, 15-20 minutes or so, before slicing and it will make it easier to slice nice, uniform discs. 

image.jpeg.34cc5f9316ec8b3177dd9a479e2c8a3a.jpeg

Or just buy this at Costco. It’s already cut into uniform disks. Pretty good too. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Counterpoint:

7CD24D1D-7A69-4E3F-8B85-6EBCCD4B1C5A.jpeg.d42cf5dfecaad129d43162ee108f5764.jpeg

WTF. I can cook and eat in 15-20 minutes while you’re just getting a nice bow tied in your apron strings, fancy boy.

Tear than tube meat into 3 parts. Crush flat with a spatula or your fist in a blistering hot cast iron pan. Eat two. The women and children split the third.

13 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

WTF. I can cook and eat in 15-20 minutes while you’re just getting a nice bow tied in your apron strings, fancy boy.

Tear than tube meat into 3 parts. Crush flat with a spatula or your fist in a blistering hot cast iron pan. Eat two. The women and children split the third.

It depends on how you like it. At Bob Evans restaurants they come in little discs. (They also sell them in the store that way at a big markup.) I’ve also cut off a nice big chunk and flattened it out to make a sausage, egg, and cheese sandwich. But the little discs with eggs and home fries are really good.

8BD52AAC-198A-4288-8363-C59CC74FCEF6.jpeg
Here’s another tip. If you go to a Bob Evans restaurant and order their “hotcakes” (aka pancakes, the blueberry ones are really good), order sausage links, not patties. They go better with the syrup. And a glass of milk.

Edited by WhatTheBuck

Having slammed boudin balls from south Louisiana gas stations on many occasions (once with beer on the front lawn of the Catholic Church in St. Martinville while the local police drove by and gave us all a friendly wave), I’ll take Brisket in three rounds.

That church compared to the rest of the town is something else...

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It depends on how you like it. At Bob Evans restaurants they come in little discs. (They also sell them in the store that way at a big markup.) I’ve also cut off a nice big chunk and flattened it out to make a sausage, egg, and cheese sandwich. But the little discs with eggs and home fries are really good.

8BD52AAC-198A-4288-8363-C59CC74FCEF6.jpeg
Here’s another tip. If you go to a Bob Evans restaurant and order their “hotcakes” (aka pancakes, the blueberry ones are really good), order sausage links, not patties. They go better with the syrup. And a glass of milk.

You drinking milk with pancakes and sausage is another example of why you'll always catch shit around here. 

But you do you, man. 

On 5/14/2021 at 10:31 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

If you’ve never put a slice of apple pie in a bowl of milk and eaten it with a spoon like cereal, you really should. 

On 5/15/2021 at 12:15 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

Also I mean Jesus wtf are you talking about? Are you from the same country as the rest of the board here?

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

You drinking milk with pancakes and sausage is another example of why you'll always catch shit around here. 

But you do you, man. 

Let me direct you to the Inherited Family Food Quirks thread and the gutter trash shit that people reminisce upon there. You have a problem with milk and pancakes? That’s your problem.

Seriously, criticizing drinking milk with pancakes? What the fuck is wrong with you?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

Also I mean Jesus wtf are you talking about? Are you from the same country as the rest of the board here?

Go eat dirt. Throw some Marie Sharp’s on it. You’ll love it. Especially if some of your fellows tell you you’re supposed to love it. Jackass.

31 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Go eat dirt. Throw some Marie Sharp’s on it. You’ll love it. Especially if some of your fellows tell you you’re supposed to love it. Jackass.

You're just nervous about inviting me to a poker game.

Also tf are you negging me for? Really dude? I mean we're all proud that you got to 10,000 rep by boilerplating the cloakroom but don't neg me because you weren't lucky enough to be born in or have a chance to move to God's country.

Your Ohio billboards in Austin are cute, though. Your state tourism dept. must realize how stupid some people are.

Edited by ztejas

23 minutes ago, Underdog said:

The fuck is wrong with milk and pancakes?  

Yeah, I'm not getting that at all.  As a kid, I learned that I didn't like something tangy like OJ with pancakes, because I didn't like how the acid and the syrup played together.  Milk, on the other hand, was perfect.  Now that I'm older, if I'm gonna have a pancake breakfast, I'll probably have a cup of coffee....but I may also have a glass of milk.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Underdog said:

The fuck is wrong with milk and pancakes?  

I’m not following. Who is running down milk with pancakes? 

I made buttermilk pancakes, sausage and bacon for my kids yesterday morning. I was able to use the final dose of batter for my own big pancake. Damned near ate the whole thing in 3 bites with some melted butter and heated syrup, then slammed down a mason jar of cold milk. That’s starting the day off right. 

• Hook 'Em 1