Best Breakfast Food

SurlyORama

The answer remains breakfast tacos as the best food.

Refried beans from a pot of charro beans I made this week. Bacon, egg, and cheese filling. Homemade chipotle-serrano salsa.

Do not listen to the schismatics that put whole strips of bacon.  You cook the bacon first, to mostly crispy but still flexible.  Chop it roughly and stir it and any cheese into the egg mixture towards the end of cooking. 

image.thumb.jpeg.2b67d901fb9ff9f97c0155dd3f478ac1.jpeg

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

11 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The answer remains breakfast tacos as the best food.

Refried beans from a pot of charro beans I made this week. Bacon, egg, and cheese filling. Homemade chipotle-serrano salsa.

Do not listen to the schismatics that put whole strips of bacon.  You cook the bacon first, to mostly crispy but still flexible.  Chop it roughly and stir it and any cheese into the egg mixture towards the end of cooking. 

image.thumb.jpeg.2b67d901fb9ff9f97c0155dd3f478ac1.jpeg

All of this was correct until you added the eggs. Bean, cheese, and bacon is the perfect breakfast taco.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I celebrate all forms of the breakfast taco. Barbacoa may be the platonic ideal.  

But yesterday was bacon and egg and while you can ADD a strip of bacon, the base has to be mixed pieces of bacon with the scrambled egg.  My man ArnieTex breaks is down.

This is Arnie.  If this man tells you how a taco is to be made, he is correct. 

image.thumb.png.934f660a1007c0eb5fc4c317f2621401.png

• Hook 'Em 2

Arnie is wrong and he should feel bad. 

When using the cheapest or crappy bacon, yes, you dice it up into the eggs. Hide it if you will. 

When you have good thick cut bacon you don’t need tricks. That’s something whores do for money. 

200.gif

Those with great sharp teeth can enjoy a strip or two of thick cut bacon. There is a third way for bacon: one inch lengths or so. That way I don’t drag a length of bacon to drag all the way out along with half the taco innards into my shirt and all over my car.

Also team no egg. Beans, bacon, cheese, crispy fried taters.
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Deej said:

Team no cheese.

No cheese has been growing on me. The place has to make a good taco, though. If the tortilla or eggs are subpar then cheese generally improves it. 

Potato and egg or a Carne guisada and egg with some good salsa...

Stick Around Bob Ross GIF by Originals

And Arnie is right. The chopped bacon is almost always better.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

For the bacon version, I prefer thick cut bacon, cut into chunks, mixed in with the eggs.  But at home, my wife likes her bacon truly crispy, so I do the whole slice thing.  And I do the full BEC suite of ingredients.

For chorizo, cook the chorizo, keeping most of the grease, add the eggs to cook, then top with cheese and a good red salsa.  That was the taco I grew up on -- I'd get up for school, and mom would ask "what kind?", which meant what kind of taco did I want.  If we had chorizo, it was always that one.

Sausage egg and cheese -- same plan as for chorizo.  Crumble sausage, cook, add eggs to hot pan with grease.

Potato egg and cheese - lots of variability on the potato.  I don't like it when they're too soggy/almost mashed.  Give me crispy potatoes -- cubed are fine. I've used leftover french fries that I crisp up in the pan.  Tots work too.  The best variation I had was by an old army cook with a dive joint out by the airport.  He'd cook a huge amount of shredded hashbrown potatoes on the flattop in butter till they were crisped, would slide those onto a big flour tortilla topped with two scrambled eggs, and a coupla slices of melty American cheese.  Add a dash of salt and salsa, and it was glorious.  A big-ass meal for $1.25 back in the day.

Bean and cheese - always a good combo.  Adding bacon never hurts.

The best gringo breakfast taco is the Otto at Taco Deli: bacon, beans, cheese, avocado?  Yes please.

And the forgotten prize is machacado.  Cook shredded machacado and onions in oil (you can add diced peppers if you want), when the onion is cooked through, add your eggs, make your taco.  It's glorious.  Sometimes I add cheese, sometimes I don't, I always use a good fresh salsa.

These are the breakfast tacos.  They are what Jesus (pronounced in spanish) gave us.  We should be thankful for our blessings.

• Like 1

You know what is really great for breakfast? Breakfast tacos of course. You know what you should put on your breakfast tacos? The right answer is whatever the hell you want for breakfast on your taco or whatever is being served. 

I’ll take 2 (well, maybe 3) of whatever is available. I don’t care what variety they are because they are all good. I do prefer eggs just for the breakfasty aspect of it, but again give me what you have.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Brew said:

You know what is really great for breakfast? Breakfast tacos of course. You know what you should put on your breakfast tacos? The right answer is whatever the hell you want for breakfast on your taco or whatever is being served. 

I’ll take 2 (well, maybe 3) of whatever is available. I don’t care what variety they are because they are all good. I do prefer eggs just for the breakfasty aspect of it, but again give me what you have.

Hell, that's a variation of my old man's rant about breakfast tacos.  "There's no such thing as a breakfast taco.  They're all just tacos.  Some of em you eat at breakfast more often than you eat em at other times, but they're all just tacos."

But I actually DO have a rule about tacos.  It's a real taco if 1) you put some mexican-ass shit on there (carnitas, picadillo, chorizo and egg, what have you), OR 2) you put some poor-ass struggle food/leftovers on them.  Example of what is and is not category 2): a leftover chicken tender and some bbq sauce on a tortilla?  Taco.  A purposefully designed concoction with a chicken tender, microgreens, a cranberry glaze, and aioli?  Gringo taco.

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

For the bacon version, I prefer thick cut bacon, cut into chunks, mixed in with the eggs.  But at home, my wife likes her bacon truly crispy, so I do the whole slice thing.  And I do the full BEC suite of ingredients.

For chorizo, cook the chorizo, keeping most of the grease, add the eggs to cook, then top with cheese and a good red salsa.  That was the taco I grew up on -- I'd get up for school, and mom would ask "what kind?", which meant what kind of taco did I want.  If we had chorizo, it was always that one.

Sausage egg and cheese -- same plan as for chorizo.  Crumble sausage, cook, add eggs to hot pan with grease.

Potato egg and cheese - lots of variability on the potato.  I don't like it when they're too soggy/almost mashed.  Give me crispy potatoes -- cubed are fine. I've used leftover french fries that I crisp up in the pan.  Tots work too.  The best variation I had was by an old army cook with a dive joint out by the airport.  He'd cook a huge amount of shredded hashbrown potatoes on the flattop in butter till they were crisped, would slide those onto a big flour tortilla topped with two scrambled eggs, and a coupla slices of melty American cheese.  Add a dash of salt and salsa, and it was glorious.  A big-ass meal for $1.25 back in the day.

Bean and cheese - always a good combo.  Adding bacon never hurts.

The best gringo breakfast taco is the Otto at Taco Deli: bacon, beans, cheese, avocado?  Yes please.

And the forgotten prize is machacado.  Cook shredded machacado and onions in oil (you can add diced peppers if you want), when the onion is cooked through, add your eggs, make your taco.  It's glorious.  Sometimes I add cheese, sometimes I don't, I always use a good fresh salsa.

These are the breakfast tacos.  They are what Jesus (pronounced in spanish) gave us.  We should be thankful for our blessings.

Back when I was in junior high in the valley swim practice was at 6 AM.  The bus would dump you at the junior high in the middle of 1st period after practice and we’d go sit in the cafeteria until the bell rang for the next class. 

The lunch ladies, who had finished serving school breakfast, always showed us mercy and we got tacos.  Bacon and egg, chorizo and egg, potato and egg, bean and egg were in the rotation. No charge, we were hungry and so we got a taco.

I will likely spend the rest of my life trying to find something that tastes that good. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2