Best Breakfast Food

SurlyORama

4 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Breakfast burritos >>>> breakfast tacos  (*ducks).  Had a tasty huevos con chorizo burrito this morning and it was delicious.

I mean really... what is the fucking difference between a burrito and a taco? Size? bean content? I get breakfast tacos here in NB that are bigger than a lot of "burritos" I've had in California. Same shit in both of them. 

Had breakfast for dinner the other night, eggs with cheese, bacon, biscuits & gravy, cold glass of milk.  

Migas are another favorite of mine, huevos ranchero close behind.  I never could get with eggs benny, not a fan of the sauce. 

Ham biscuits -  has to be homemade biscuits and Smithfield ham.  The only quick alternative is BoJangles.  They a decent, if greasier, fast food alternative.

Blueberry Pancakes - just butter. pro-tip use dried blueberries if you make them at home.  Works so much better.

RIP Skeeters

Spoiler

7 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

I mean really... what is the fucking difference between a burrito and a taco? Size? bean content? I get breakfast tacos here in NB that are bigger than a lot of "burritos" I've had in California. Same shit in both of them. 

A quick primer from a White boy who knows his Mexican foods..

Burritos- Tortilla is  rolled tightly  around contents. If using corn tortillas, the burrito is usually fried.  

Tacos-  Tortilla is folded around contents.   Corn is the usual preferred method for lunch and dinner tacos where as flour for breakfast.   The popularity of the taco specific places (think Torchy's)  or street vendors made the soft corn more preferable vs the crispy shell which was the standard for generations, even at mom and pop Tex Mex.

• Like 1

Do some bacon or sausage on the stove top.  Remove the meat, and keep warm.  Use the grease to saute a mix of chopped onions, jalapenos, and garlic.  Add some chopped potatoes.  Whip up your desired amount of eggs.  Add the eggs, meat and some shredded cheese once the veggies are up to snuff.  Season with a little chili powder, cumin, and Cavender's.  Either eat it on it's own, topped with salsa and hot sauce, or roll it up in a tortilla.

Bloody Mary with a beer chaser during the prep, straight black coffee to pair with it during the consumption.

Fast Food:

Sausage Egg Cheese on Jalapeno Cheddar from Whataburger

Chicken Biscuit from Chic Fil A

Home Cooked:

A scramble of cubed potatoes, onions, japs, sausage, bacon, ham. All topped with salsa.  Can be eaten on a plate  or wrapped in a good tortilla

Classic plate of thick cut bacon, scrambled eggs, hashbrowns, homemade biscuits topped with gravy.

14 hours ago, ztejas said:

Klobasnik. With good dough, fresh fillings consisting of cheese, meat and jalapeño.

Pos-rep for not calling it a "kah-la-chee".

And all answers are strong.  One variable:  at night.  BFD is the tits.  

3 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I can't remember the last time I had a really good pancake, but a great pancake is hard to beat (and find).

Agreed, and I am always confused as to why it seems so hard to make a really good pancake. It's really pretty simple, but the vast majority of places F it up. And too many of them resort to stuffing it full of a bunch of crazy fillings and topping with frosting or whatever to make it over-the-top sweet.

A great pancake (blueberry being my particular favorite) may be the only thing that I would have a tough time NOT picking for my favorite, but considering that I already put the PB English Muffin up there, I'm not back-tracking. It's the chocolate cake of breakfast foods to me.

12 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

But the construction of the burrito makes it much more manageable to eat.  

3 minutes ago, SurlyORama said:

A great pancake (blueberry being my particular favorite) may be the only thing that I would have a tough time NOT picking for my favorite,

Related question: I have two good friends who call me crazy for this, but I LOVE runny-yolk eggs atop buttered pancakes, with (not too much) syrup over it all.

Crazy, or crazy-like-a-great-food-loving fox?

If you've never tried it, try it.

Edited by SurlyORama
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I can't remember the last time I had a really good pancake, but a great pancake is hard to beat (and find).

My pancake game stepped up tremendously when I was introduced to the concept of separating the eggs into the pancake batter.  It takes more time, but it is so completely worth the extra effort. 

11 minutes ago, SurlyORama said:

Related question: I have two good friends who call me crazy for this, but I LOVE runny-yolk eggs atop buttered pancakes, with (not too much) syrup over it all.

Crazy, or crazy-like-a-great-food-loving fox?

If you've never tried it, try it.

I don't have many hangups, but one of them is that during the breakfast meal, pancakes must be on their own plate and don't you god damn dare put the eggs on the same plate as the pancakes. If they're on the same plate, there is risk of the syrup touching the eggs. And if that happens, well everyone knows that now the eggs aren't even worth serving to the fucking dog.

Also, if your pancakes are on a plate with the eggs and sausage/bacon, it means your pancakes aren't big enough, you cheap ass small pancake serving breakfast frauds.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, SurlyORama said:

Agreed, and I am always confused as to why it seems so hard to make a really good pancake. It's really pretty simple, but the vast majority of places F it up. And too many of them resort to stuffing it full of a bunch of crazy fillings and topping with frosting or whatever to make it over-the-top sweet.

A great pancake (blueberry being my particular favorite) may be the only thing that I would have a tough time NOT picking for my favorite, but considering that I already put the PB English Muffin up there, I'm not back-tracking. It's the chocolate cake of breakfast foods to me.

The better pancakes are not made from just add water mixes.

You need to find the ones you have to add eggs, butter and milk as one or  all the ingredients.   I forgot the brand name, HEB carries a mix in a canister that is good.    Most importantly you have to have a good pancake griddle. 

But the just add water mix is good when you have screaming kids wanting their breakfast.   Kodiak brand cakes are good if you want protein infused pancakes.  

26 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

The better pancakes are not made from just add water mixes.

You need to find the ones you have to add eggs, butter and milk as one or  all the ingredients.   I forgot the brand name, HEB carries a mix in a canister that is good.    Most importantly you have to have a good pancake griddle. 

But the just add water mix is good when you have screaming kids wanting their breakfast.   Kodiak brand cakes are good if you want protein infused pancakes.  

Ah, I remember the old "Bisquick Shake-and-pour" days... Not good pancakes, but as you say, good enough for little kids in a pinch.

Never really understood pancake mixes. I mean really, it's like 3 or 4 (depending on recipe) dry ingredients. Takes a few seconds longer than dumping out of a box, and avoids some of the nasty preservatives and stuff.

Alton Brown had a "Good Eats" episode showing you how to make your own pancake mix for buttermilk pancakes. Then you use it like any other, combining at certain ratios with the eggs and milk. Really pretty good, in my opinion.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Where my corn tortilla homies at?

Right here.  As the base for New Mexican style huevos rancheros.  Soften the tortillas in hot butter then top with eggs fried over easy.  Top with freshly made red or green chile sauce (or both, for Christmas style) and Monterrey Jack cheese.  To make sure everything is melted and hot I add the sauce and the cheese to the pan next to the fried eggs immediately after I flip the eggs. When the eggs are just done I take them out of the frying pan and put them on top of the tortillas and then pour the heated sauce and the melted cheese over the eggs.  Serve with bacon, beans of choice, and hash browns with more sauce over the hash browns.

• Like 2

Pancakes - with or w/out butter?  I slather the shit out of butter on mine but the wife puts none on hers...  heathen.  Same goes for waffles, but she’ll put a ton of butter on her baked potato to the point you’re not if it’s a potato anymore.

I like eggs and toast but I don’t like French Toast.  

Oatmeal/Cream of Wheat, rarely eat either anymore, was a staple growing up. 

GDit, that jalapeño cheddar biscuit from WB is greatness, kick myself for not getting one on last trip to Texas. 

17 hours ago, formermav43 said:

All of it.

Yep.

17 hours ago, SurlyORama said:

Breakfast is the best meal.

Indeed.

Ah breakfast.  How myriad the greatness of thy combinations...

-Eggs scrambled with diced onions and japs cooked in the grease of a breakfast meat (bacon, sausage, chorizo, maybe a combo of all three), with a little shredded chee and whatever hot sauce I'm in the mood for (or maybe pico or salsa instead...it's all good), and a nice side of crispy hash browns. Even better of it's all wrapped up in a freshly toasted tortilla.  

-Ain't a damn thing wrong with a big-ass bowl of cereal and a slice of buttered toast, either.

-And I haven't even got to waffles, pancakes, biscuits and gravy, omelettes, or oatmeal yet.  

-Lest we forget about last night's pizza or fried chicken, cold and straight outta the fridge.  Maybe dunked in queso?  Maybe with a dash of hot sauce? Hell yes, that's breakfast.

Bless thee, breakfast.  Bless thee.

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HouTex said:

Right here.  As the base for New Mexican style huevos rancheros.  Soften the tortillas in hot butter then top with eggs fried over easy.  Top with freshly made red or green chile sauce (or both, for Christmas style) and Monterrey Jack cheese.  To make sure everything is melted and hot I add the sauce and the cheese to the pan next to the fried eggs immediately after I flip the eggs. When the eggs are just done I take them out of the frying pan and put them on top of the tortillas and then pour the heated sauce and the melted cheese over the eggs.  Serve with bacon, beans of choice, and hash browns with more sauce over the hash browns.

thisguygetsit.gif

3 hours ago, TornACL said:

... and don't you god damn dare put the eggs on the same plate as the pancakes. If they're on the same plate, there is risk of the syrup touching the eggs. And if that happens, well everyone knows that now the eggs aren't even worth serving to the fucking dog.

Hmm, you seem to align with my friends.

To me, the rich yolks soaking into the fluffy pancake, the combination of sweet syrup with just-salty-enough eggs, is awesome. I'm hungry.

2 hours ago, Dutch said:

Yep.

Indeed.

-Eggs scrambled with diced onions and japs cooked in the grease of a breakfast meat (bacon, sausage, chorizo, maybe a combo of all three), with a little shredded chee and whatever hot sauce I'm in the mood for (or maybe pico or salsa instead...it's all good), and a nice side of crispy hash browns. Even better of it's all wrapped up in a freshly toasted tortilla.  

-Ain't a damn thing wrong with a big-ass bowl of cereal and a slice of buttered toast, either.

-And I haven't even got to waffles, pancakes, biscuits and gravy, omelettes, or oatmeal yet.  

-Lest we forget about last night's pizza or fried chicken, cold and straight outta the fridge.  Maybe dunked in queso?  Maybe with a dash of hot sauce? Hell yes, that's breakfast.

tumblr_no4oaf9WsY1qiaxzfo3_250.gif

We were in Grapevine not long ago and stopped in Old West Cafe for breakfast. It was 1030 or 11 so I was pretty damn hungry. I (fucking stupidly) decided I needed a “big” breakfast since I was so hungry. I ended up ordering a meal that consisted of: 2 open face biscuits, sausage gravy, chicken fried steak, sausage gravy, two eggs over easy and a side of hash browns. Jesus Christ it was good, but it could have fed 18 homeless people and me. Here is a pic:
e91d79610d53be108bc95bb1e5a5e3d0.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Buffsoldier said:

Maybe I overlooked, but not one of you unwashed savages has mentioned a properly greasy Chicken Fried Steak, with a side of double crisp hashbrowns and another side of bacon????

i am very disappointed fifth element GIF

My go-to at Jim's.

4 hours ago, Dutch said:

Yep.

Indeed.

Ah, the breakfast of high school/college years after waking up at noon.  Nothing was better than a cold piece of Kentucky Fried Chicken.  

Same goes for Pan Pizza from Pizza Hut.  I almost want to buy some of both and remember those good times!  

6 hours ago, SurlyORama said:

Ah, I remember the old "Bisquick Shake-and-pour" days... Not good pancakes, but as you say, good enough for little kids in a pinch.

Never really understood pancake mixes. I mean really, it's like 3 or 4 (depending on recipe) dry ingredients. Takes a few seconds longer than dumping out of a box, and avoids some of the nasty preservatives and stuff.

Alton Brown had a "Good Eats" episode showing you how to make your own pancake mix for buttermilk pancakes. Then you use it like any other, combining at certain ratios with the eggs and milk. Really pretty good, in my opinion.

Good Bisquick.   Really it does make better pancakes than some of the just add water stuff like Hungry Jack.