Great and horrible tv series finales

TexArcher

This is obviously a spinoff from a discussion in the GoT thread (but no spoilers here or you get a crown of molten gold dumped on your head).

I thought the finale of The Americans was fantastic.

The entire final season of House of Cards was hot garbage.

Go...

Best

Breaking Bad

6 Feet Under

Wonder Years

Worst: 

Seinfeld

Lost

GoT

Dexter

Weeds 

Californication (pretty much any Showtime series)

Meh: 

Sopranos - after it came out, Chase said it was open to interpretation. Years later he goes "yeah Tony died"... fuck that. 

The Americans - was too rushed to me. Wish they would've had an epilogue or at least seen the show through to the end of the cold war. 

27 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Dexter was the worst 

Abso-lutely

I kinda hated the M*A*S*H finale, but by that time the show was so weak it was a mercy killing. 

Different genre, but Johnny Carson's final show set the bar. We laughed, we cried, he left with us wanting more. That's how it's done.

• Like 2

The entire season 5 of The Wire was pretty shitty. 

I always though the Sopranos was the worst. The open to interpretation thing is the dumbest fucking schtick ever. However, I forgot about Dexter. That might be hands down the worst. 

In fact, as most have mentioned. There are very few that end well. Breakind Bad is one of the few gems. 

8 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

There’s Newhart and then everybody else is fighting for second place. 

Everyone loved Newhart for nostalgia sake but it basically said that the entire series was a dream.I suppose that works with a comedy but it definitely wouldn't fly with a drama.

1 hour ago, speed817 said:

Best...The Shield and Breaking Bad

Worst.....GoT, Seinfeld, Dexter, Lost, How I Met Your Mother

+1 on How I met your mother.

Really? The entire series was you telling your kids about all the people you and their step mom fucked? 

Will and Grace (90s)

Friends 

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Everyone loved Newhart for nostalgia sake but it basically said that the entire series was a dream.I suppose that works with a comedy but it definitely wouldn't fly with a drama.

Sure it would, other than leaving everyone potentially hanging about what happened to all the characters. The concept was brilliance. Of course it helped that he'd had the earlier series with Susan Pleshette.

The night it aired I think you could hear a collective laugh across a TV land.  There was no supposing it worked, It played hilariously.  

6 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Sure it would, other than leaving everyone potentially hanging about what happened to all the characters. The concept was brilliance. Of course it helped that he'd had the earlier series with Susan Pleshette.

The night it aired I think you could hear a collective laugh across a TV land.  There was no supposing it worked, It played hilariously.  

It helped that he had a previous series with Susanne Pleshette?  that was the entire gag. If he had woken up next to another actress we had never seen before, it would have been confusing.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It helped that he had a previous series with Susanne Pleshette?  that was the entire gag. If he had woken up next to another actress we had never seen before, it would have been confusing.

So I'm guessing you never saw the original Bob Newhart series ?  If so then you don't get it. She was his wife in the previous series. that was the gag.it was hilarious .

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

The Seinfeld finale has grown on me over the years, but it was a let down at the time.

The final episode of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart felt really good. 

I was thinking about posting this. At the time Seinfeld was a let down based on the high expectations I had. But thinking back on it over the years the premise of the final episode  is actually really funny. Not sure what else they could do . It was a show about nothing. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

I was thinking about posting this. At the time Seinfeld was a let down based on the high expectations I had. But thinking back on it over the years the premise of the final episode  is actually really funny. Not sure what else they could do . It was a show about nothing. 

I thought the courtroom scenes were funny as hell bringing back all the characters to testify but the sitting in the jail cell scene was extremely meh. 

Throwing out one that hasn't been mentioned -- I recall really liking the series finale of Family Ties.  I think the show had been petering out, but the last episode was great, and Meredith Baxter Birney and Michael J. Fox had really good chemistry as a mother and oldest child having difficulty saying good bye as Alex was headed to New York.  And I think Michael J. Fox as Alex P. Keaton was one of the best sitcom characters of the 1980s.

• Like 2

Of recent dramas, I agree with others that Justified, The Americans, and Breaking Bad were all really good.

I liked the Seinfeld finale when it aired and don't get all the hate it got at the time.

Edited by WBT

10 hours ago, TexArcher said:

I also really liked the ending of Breaking Bad.  Not just the finale, but the last several episodes leading up to it.  That's one of a very few series that I thought was consistently excellent from start to finish. 

The last scene of Breaking Bad was basically the last scene from Cheers.  Sam and Walter both alone with their one true love.

Great endings.

40 minutes ago, seven said:

6 feet under is probably the best

Leftovers is close

Dexter is easily the worst. 

I really dug Leftovers as a series, but I couldn’t get over how Nora goes to upside down world, make that scientist to go thru the monumental effort of building an entirely new machine, come back then not tell anyone? And when you do it’s intertwined with coffee and an ex, not the press? Plus, I’m assuming that all the Departed chose to stay in upside down Earth? No one except Nora wanted to come back and be reunited with their loat loved ones? Cuz, oh shit, Nora didn’t even do that! After spending billlions of glass beads (or whatever else they uses as money) and undoubtedly countless sexual favors to get “home” what does she do? Hide out in the Australian wilderness.  Sir, I call bullshit.

2 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

I really dug Leftovers as a series, but I couldn’t get over how Nora goes to upside down world, make that scientist to go thru the monumental effort of building an entirely new machine, come back then not tell anyone? And when you do it’s intertwined with coffee and an ex, not the press? Plus, I’m assuming that all the Departed chose to stay in upside down Earth? No one except Nora wanted to come back and be reunited with their loat loved ones? Cuz, oh shit, Nora didn’t even do that! After spending billlions of glass beads (or whatever else they uses as money) and undoubtedly countless sexual favors to get “home” what does she do? Hide out in the Australian wilderness.  Sir, I call bullshit.

I don't believe any of that actually happened, Kevin just accepted her for who she is by "believing" her. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, seven said:

I don't believe any of that actually happened, Kevin just accepted her for who she is by "believing" her. 

Add some lite beer and passive aggression and that’s also the story of my parents marriage. 

Leftovers Silver lining: Thanks to fetuses disappearing during ultrasounds, science now has a clear understanding of when life begins 

8 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

As someone who will never watch Dexter, I keep hearing Dexter was horrible. Will someone give us who will never care to watch 1 minute of the show the Derka-esque recap of why everyone hates that ending?

basically, what happens is we spend 8 years watching this character, who is clearly flawed, but kind of fundamentally good, and in the finale he basically goes against every bit of personal code that they've written for the guy, he leaves everything to go off to die, then somehow doesn't die and goes off to the northwest to become a fucking lumberjack. it's fucking terrible, and no one should ever watch the last season of that show, which had once been great. seasons 1-5 were actually pretty fantastic television.

Edited by hayden_horn
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

As someone who will never watch Dexter, I keep hearing Dexter was horrible. Will someone give us who will never care to watch 1 minute of the show the Derka-esque recap of why everyone hates that ending?

Might need to revisit it but the points I remember not liking were that Deb dies off screen and that he leaves his child to be raised by a blond chick he was banging (who also happens to be a psychopathic serial killer) in Argentina while he runs off to go be a lumberjack and sulk about what a bitch life is.