Italian

South Austin

So what are your go-to's for Italian? 

Wife and I went to Vespaio a lot when we lived off South Lamar, and dined there a month ago for the first time in years, and it's still pretty fucking good. 

La Traviata and Asti are also old favorites that still hold up well.

We go to Gusto a lot, mainly because it's close, easy for a last-minute meal choice, and our kids like it, but I'd consider it slightly above average.

Haven't tried Andiamo or Red Ash, but a friend raves about them.

What say the Austin Surlies?

Guest Lobo

Cipollina is criminally underrated.  

Andiamo was my go-to when I worked in North Austin, it reminded me of so many good joints growing up in the Chicago area. 

Asti holds up well.  

I don't know if it's just me, but Italic keeps getting more and more subpar for me.  It's been several weeks, but I was a regular there for a couple years and it just went further and further downhill for me.  Maybe it's just me.  

Good call on Sienna.  My wife and I hadn’t been there since before we had kids, but recently put it back in the rotation. Agree on the atmosphere. It’s a great rustic-feeling space, and it’s not some disguise for a poor quality menu, as the food is always solid.

3 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Andiamo and Siena are our go to's.

Agreed with this. I have also been to Ash a few times and it is really good but always packed (we have enjoyed everything we have tried on the menu). 

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

To me, North and Gusto are similar -- not as good as you can get elsewhere in town, but always satisfying.  For my money, Vespaio, Andiamo and Asti are a cut above.

I need to try Juliet.

North is a cut above Gusto imo but different Italian. 

And yeah I was confused at the "new" descriptor as well. It has to be one of the older restaraunts in the domain. 

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Errr . . . what?  Did they move within The Domain?  They've been there for years.

Yep, "new" is subjective.  Not to pull a full Armybrat, but everything in The Domain seems "new" to me.  When I was growing up in that area it was all dairy farms.  Then  IBM began construction in 1966.  Even after IBM moved in, there was plenty of open space and a great baseball field we played in.  That baseball field was where the "Dazed and Confused" baseball game scenes were filmed.  Good times.

Edited by DalTxHornFan

^^^^

That's all fair.  I grew up a block behind Playland Skating rink near 183/Burnet.  We called 183 "Suicide Alley" back then. And aside from IBM there wasn't really anything on Burnet Road/1325 until you got out to Round Rock. I also had an onion tied to my belt.

For olds like you (and me) maybe the descriptor would be more appropriate if you said, "that 'North' restaurant in that new 'Domain' shopping center." ;)

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

Wife and I are going to Olive & June for dinner on Friday.  We haven't been in a while, and are big Shawn Cirkiel fans (we know him, though not well, as he's in our greater Highland Park/Lamar community).  I wish the menu offered a bit more, but we always have a great meal, and the bar and dining areas have a nice, romantic feel that help increase the odds of my wife wanting to have sexy time with me.  Wish me luck.

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Man, I haven't seen Shawn in years.  I used to see his wife at Lamar but I don't know if their boy jumped to McCallum with my kid or went LASA, etc.

Enjoy your meal.  He's a helluva cook.

He is.  Not to derail the Italian thread, but have you tried his new Tex-Mex place in the old Bullfight space off Airport?  We've been meaning to. 

22 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Yep, "new" is subjective.  Not to pull a full Armybrat, but everything in The Domain seems "new" to me.  When I was growing up in that area it was all dairy farms.  Then  IBM began construction in 1966.  Even after IBM moved in, there was plenty of open space and a great baseball field we played in.  That baseball field was where the "Dazed and Confused" baseball game scenes were filmed.  Good times.

Dazed and Confused baseball field was the one at Northwest Park, off of Shoal Creek between Koening and Anderson Lane.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deej said:

Dazed and Confused baseball field was the one at Northwest Park, off of Shoal Creek between Koening and Anderson Lane.

Damn.  You are right.  I really thought that it was filmed at the IBM employee baseball field.  That said, I spent a lot of time at Northwest Park as a youngster.  Thanks for the correction.

Asti is one of my regular go-tos.  Its louder and more cramped than I prefer for date nights, but we always enjoy it.  love the linguine and clams.  

love la traviata, one of my favorite at home recipes (bolognese) is from there so it will always be a special place for me.  don't go there as often as i might like, parking is a hassle

been to red ash a few times - we enjoy going before shows at zach or moody.  the clams appetizer with a side of the homemade bread is awesome

couple not mentioned: juniper and entero - thought both were very good, juniper being the superior of the two - and is great for sharing a bunch of smaller plates

• Like 1

Yea, Shawn is good people.  Seems to be the type who gives back to the community too.  +rep   

Gusto is not good.  Like, at all.  It’s also probably the reason they closed months ago.  Moose out front should have told you.  

Agreed with Italic.  It was generally above-average Italian food at a very decent price but I don’t even think about it anymore.  Like a lot of their concepts unfortunately, I don’t think they’re long for this world. 

I’ve had some really good meals at Italian Italian on South Lamar.  Definitely worth a try   

Never thought of it as true Italian but Red Ash is some of the best food in the city.  

Jack’s right on Traviata bolognese.  My favorite in the city.  Vespaio has always been top notch.  

Haven't tried Uncle Nicky’s yet but hoping too sometime in the next few weeks.  

Edited by Chet Steadman

10 hours ago, Focht Up said:

Juliet and Botaceli's (near the Continental Club) are both worth visiting.

10 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Oh yeah, I tend to forget about Botaceli's but I've had several good meals there over the years.

Yes on Botaceli’s. Wife and I had dinner there during SXSW this year and were reminded how good it was. The talent working the restaurant was a bonus.

Edited by South Austin

11 hours ago, Focht Up said:

Juliet and Botaceli's (near the Continental Club) are both worth visiting.

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Oh yeah, I tend to forget about Botaceli's but I've had several good meals there over the years.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Yes on Botaceli’s. Wife and I had dinner there during SXSW this year and were reminded how good it was. The talent working the restaurant was a bonus.

*Botticelli's

5 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

Yea, Shawn is good people.  Seems to be the type who gives back to the community too.  +rep   

Gusto is not good.  Like, at all.  It’s also probably the reason they closed months ago.  Moose out front should have told you.  

Agreed with Italic.  It was generally above-average Italian food at a very decent price but I don’t even think about it anymore.  Like a lot of their concepts unfortunately, I don’t think they’re long for this world. 

I’ve had some really good meals at Italian Italian on South Lamar.  Definitely worth a try   

Never thought of it as true Italian but Red Ash is some of the best food in the city.  

Jack’s right on Traviata bolognese.  My favorite in the city.  Vespaio has always been top notch.  

Haven't tried Uncle Nicky’s yet but hoping too sometime in the next few weeks.  

Did you mean It's Italian Cucina on Lamar? 

6 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

Yep, you’re right.  It was his other bad restaurant. 

You're probably referring to Blue Star, which is now only doing catering.

I don't think that restaurant group (Santa Rita, 34th Street Cafe, Gusto) is setting an impossibly high bar, but Gusto is hardly bad.  It's just unimaginative, which is kind of surprising, given what I think is a fairly nice visual and architectural treatment.

On 5/22/2019 at 8:28 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Man, I haven't seen Shawn in years.  I used to see his wife at Lamar but I don't know if their boy jumped to McCallum with my kid or went LASA, etc.

Enjoy your meal.  He's a helluva cook.

His last just finished at my school. So bummed. Such a great family. His wife will probably be at Lamar more next year.

Guest Lobo

A friend of ours that can't stop mentioning she is now vegan and gluten-free kept insisting we try Red Ash.  I just stared blankly at her mouth moving, thinking to myself, "What the fuck would you even eat at Red Ash?  Everything has meat, eggs, or gluten in it.  Everything."  I want to go back to Red Ash, but her idiocy is blocking me from doing so.  

Anyway, although it's a chain---North really delivers upper-midlevel Italian very well. 

On 5/21/2019 at 6:43 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

The Domain is at least useful. Arbor Walk can screw off. Terrible ingress/egress and there’s nowhere in this gotdamn town to hit golf balls at trains anymore.

North is good, though. Surprised it’s getting so much love due to its chaininess.