2019 LB De'Gabriel Floyd

thepop

18 minutes ago, TrojanPrincess said:

We knew a month ago De'Gabriel was in love with Texas and going to comitt, but at the time I didn't know where to post the info.  One of our Texas boys clued us in.  

Any chance you were in a port-a-potti when you learned this?

Haha, a friend of mine is the owner/publisher of a USC recruiting sight...he missed on only one recruit he had projected to USC, a kid who was undecided till the morning of signing day.  It's posted on his site, Levi Jones told him Texas was where De'Gabriel was going to comitt to a month ago.

Don't believe me? My twitter account is under the same name, and I promote his site.  Scott is really connected to California recruits.

• Like 5

Haha, a friend of mine is the owner/publisher of a USC recruiting sight...he missed on only one recruit he had projected to USC, a kid who was undecided till the morning of signing day.  It's posted on his site, Levi Jones told him Texas was where De'Gabriel was going to comitt to a month ago.
Don't believe me? My twitter account is under the same name, and I promote his site.  Scott is really connected to California recruits.

I’m intrigued. In multiple ways.

10 hours ago, TrojanPrincess said:

So...being on campus as a freshman, and around recruits that show up for practices, these kids don't talk?

Welcome to the surly, gotta have tough skin as you are going to get some shit for past puppets (Uber drivers, high school classmates etc) and comedians.

Thanks for your commentary. Steele seems to be making a lot of visits outside the State of California. Why are you so sure he stays home?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Welcome to the surly, gotta have tough skin as you are going to get some shit for past puppets (Uber drivers, high school classmates etc) and comedians.

Thanks for your commentary. Steele seems to be making a lot of visits outside the State of California. Why are you so sure he stays home?

I moved over from the Shag - signed up around 2010 -  so some know me here.  

If you followed USC recruiting over the years, or SoCal 4&5* kids recruitment in particular,  most wait till signing day and they take all their visits.  Our coaching staff encourages it, sighting they will never have this opportunity again, we want them sure USC is the place.

last cycle both Elijah Griffin and Isaac Taylor-Stuart took the majority of their visits to SEC schools, yet signed with USC on signing day.  It can be nerve racking, but USC brings in the haul on signing day.

Chris Steele, by his own account, has been on the USC campus "a hundred times", and on first name basis with security, lol.  This recruitment is like Adoree' Jackson's,  he'll take all his visits, say the right thing, but end up staying home. Not saying this is absolute, but my friend Scott missed On only one recruit last cycle, and that was a kid who was torn between USC and Oregon down to signing day morning.  

Also, Poly kids tend to commit to USC, we have 14 on the team.

• Like 1

It's insane how Herman and co have not only had success recruiting out of state guys, they are getting elite out of state guys.  Adeoye, Rising, Thompson, and Angilau were all 4 star prospects last cycle.  Floyd is a guy that could end up a 5 star after his senior year.

Steve Wiltfong: Touted linebacker De'Gabriel Floyd to Texas

The Texas defense just got a little more ferocious on Saturday as new commit De'Gabriel Floyd is as violent a tackler as one will find in the 2019 recruiting class. Out of Westlake Village (Calif.) Westlake, the 6-foot-2, 226-pound Floyd is aggressive, closes quick on the ball and fierce on impact. An absolute striker that shows up on film in all three facets of the game. “To be honest, in-game, I don’t really talk about it but my mind switches into a different mode and I can’t explain what I become, but as I can see it’s ugly,” Floyd said of his physicality. “But when that energy is channeled there’s honestly no stopping me.”

There was no stopping Texas in this recruitment as the Big 12 program beat out the heavy hitters from every other Power Five conference. “Since my first trip,” Floyd said of when he knew he’d be Longhorn. Ranked by the industry-generated 247Sports Composite as the nation’s No. 3 outside linebacker, Floyd has the traits to blossom into a second level tone-setter in Austin that erases mismatches in coverage. At his new high school he says he’s strictly a linebacker now, but on film you see him play receiver, return kicks and even take snaps as a Wildcat quarterback as a junior at Golden Valley High.

It’s pretty unique film to say the least. Last fall, Floyd stuffed the stat sheet, rushing 58 times for 407 yards and eight touchdowns, caught 37 passes for 578 yards and four scores, racked up 73 tackles and two interceptions. He ran a fumble back for six and a punt to pay dirt. “I had fun doing it,” Floyd said, adding he’ll miss it to some degree. “I liked scoring touchdowns and returning punts is easy, But I just have to keep my ball skills high and run to the open field.”

Recruited to play Rover at Texas, Floyd will have plenty of opportunity to make an impact on defense, as another in the box against the run, or someone taking away quick passes or even spying the quarterback. “Their defense is kind of set up for the Rover to be free to the ball and make a play, and they feel with my skill set I fit that perfectly and I think so too,” Floyd said. Floyd has 4.9 laser-timed speed in the 40-yard dash, clocked at the recent The Opening Regional in Los Angeles with a 35-inch vertical. By the time the NFL Combine comes around those numbers could be freakish for a player of that size.