2019 LB De'Gabriel Floyd

thepop

2 hours ago, GRHorn said:

There’s some orthopods on here. To me, spinal stenosis seems like black and white diagnosis. If you have it, you’re fucked. I don’t understand what watching for one year will do. What’s the deal? Obviously gotta lean towards he’s done. 

There are a few risk factors that have been identified as putting some athletes who have stenosis at unacceptable risk for permanent paralysis. None has been released as present in DGF’s case (that I’ve read), but there is surely a reason to decide in April to hold him out in the fall. Other than certain findings on MRI (cord deformed) and Xray (spine curvature abnormal), the main risks would be stingers that get both arms at once, more than one transient episode of quadriparesis, and a history of spear tackling. If his case sits the fence on one of those criteria, the doc may have hedged and said we can see next year. I wouldn’t hold my breath.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

There are a few risk factors that have been identified as putting some athletes who have stenosis at unacceptable risk for permanent paralysis. None has been released as present in DGF’s case (that I’ve read), but there is surely a reason to decide in April to hold him out in the fall. Other than certain findings on MRI (cord deformed) and Xray (spine curvature abnormal), the main risks would be stingers that get both arms at once, more than one transient episode of quadriparesis, and a history of spear tackling. If his case sits the fence on one of those criteria, the doc may have hedged and said we can see next year. I wouldn’t hold my breath.

I hate how right you probably are...

Hate it for the guy. He seemed born to be a high-level football player. I guess that if this is the end of the line, so be it. But at least he parlayed it into the opportunity to get a great education...and clearly was a great leader in building our 2019 class. If his positive influence extends beyond that, I'll view it as a bonus. 

Get well, son.

• Like 1

Well.... this sucks. 
And blows. This kid was the one I was most looking forward to watching in this class, above Bru and Whittington. But like others have said, even if he never plays another down of football, it shouldn't affect him in normal life, and he has a chance to get a great education.

On 4/6/2019 at 9:32 PM, GRHorn said:

There’s some orthopods on here. To me, spinal stenosis seems like black and white diagnosis. If you have it, you’re fucked. I don’t understand what watching for one year will do. What’s the deal? Obviously gotta lean towards he’s done. 

I think it’s just their way of delivering the news softly. 

On 4/6/2019 at 10:28 PM, TheFlyingBoat said:

You can play with it and be basically fine with some PT or you can be fucked. The range is huge.

Right but if he already can’t play with it 6 months from now, why will he be able to play with it 18 months from now? We’ve already been given the answer as to where he is on that range. 

Maybe we’re the USC to his UGA if we’re making a Jarvis Jones analogy but it’s likely he doesn’t play football again, almost certainly not at Texas.

sucks for the kid. He was so hungry and dedicated himself to the game. I hope he finds success in other areas of his life.

Edited by Burt Macklin

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"Tom Herman: No change in status of Texas LB De'Gabriel Floyd"

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-Football-LB-DeGabriel-Floyd-spinal-stenosis-update-Tom-Herman-evaluate-December-or-January-132850408/  

Following his appearance at the Angelo Football Clinic in San Angelo on Wednesday, Herman told Horns247 there’s been no change in Floyd’s status for the coming season.  “We won’t know until December or January when we take another picture of it,” Herman said.  

Herman acknowledged things have been tough for Floyd.   With that said, Herman said the Texas program is helping Floyd cope with putting his career on hold for the time being.   “It’s hard,” Herman said. “He’s been playing since he was 8 years old. But we’re getting help for him. We’re helping him as much as we can.”

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

“We won’t know until December or January when we take another picture of it,” Herman said.  

Sounds like they want to see how well some disc material resorbs on its own as demonstrated by repeat MRI. Unless I have the Friday stupids, there shouldn't be any other change that a picture will show that will mean anything, barring a surgery.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

Sounds like they want to see how well some disc material resorbs on its own as demonstrated by repeat MRI. Unless I have the Friday stupids, there shouldn't be any other change that a picture will show that will mean anything, barring a surgery.

Slept at a Holiday Inn last night...

"Outcome for regression is dependent on various factors. It was found that the larger the extrusion or sequestration, the better the rate of resorption / regression. It has been documented by MRI and CT scans that large discal herniations can regress at a great extent in a time period of ranging between 6months to a year."

https://www.coreconcepts.com.sg/article/spontaneous-resorption-of-herniated-discs/  

Has there been any discussion of a laminectomy? Seems like that would be the obvious solution to stenosis and they should do it right away so he’s recovered in time for the 2020 season. Also, doesn’t resorption actually relate to herniations, rather than stenosis? If he has herniations in addition to stenosis, shouldn’t they have already started with ESI’s and physical therapy?

Not a doctor. Really just asking, particularly of someone who is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

Has there been any discussion of a laminectomy? Seems like that would be the obvious solution to stenosis and they should do it right away so he’s recovered in time for the 2020 season. Also, doesn’t resorption actually relate to herniations, rather than stenosis? If he has herniations in addition to stenosis, shouldn’t they have already started with ESI’s and physical therapy?

Not a doctor. Really just asking, particularly of someone who is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me check his charts and images again and I’ll get back to you. 

In the 2020 recruiting thread, I read one of the $9.95 squad report that DGF and his family were really working on Johnny WIlson, the WR from CA. He's obviously very much bought in. I hope that means 1.) That he's received some cautiously optimistic feedback from the medical staff regarding his future in the sport, and 2.) That he is at home at Texas and if it does come to him not being cleared, he doesn't go risk it at a Bama or UGA who DGAF about his health.

I think Floyd loves Texas, but loves football even more. If there's any chance he can suit up for the burnt orange, he'll stick it out here, but otherwise I wouldn't be surprised if he finds some place that is willing to take more liberties with his health.

It's unfortunate because we need players who are wired the way Floyd is - the willingness to put it all on the line no matter the risk - but his long-term health is the most important thing.

28 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I think Floyd loves Texas, but loves football even more. If there's any chance he can suit up for the burnt orange, he'll stick it out here, but otherwise I wouldn't be surprised if he finds some place that is willing to take more liberties with his health.

It's unfortunate because we need players who are wired the way Floyd is - the willingness to put it all on the line no matter the risk - but his long-term health is the most important thing.

This is bs he's not transferring anywhere because doctors aren't going to clear him to play at any school at this time