Outdoor AV advice

capnamerca

Hope this is the right spot for folks to weigh in here. Definitely need some pretty technical advice.

We're putting in a pool. I've got a great spot for a TV - our deck is elevated, and the pool deck will be beneath it (basically a covered patio when you're down by the pool). The TV is going to go up on the side of the house, under the deck - largely weather-shielded, with great sight-lines from the pool and other social spaces. I've got power handled. Two key questions ...

1. How do I get signal to the TV? (details below)
  2. How do I get sound in the backyard from whatever's on the TV?

General details / notes on the setup around my place ... in no particular order.

• Google fiber + TV
  • House is wired with Cat6. I have two drops that terminate on an outside wall, although it would be able 50' of conduit to run it over to where I want to put the TV. I don't mind running the conduit.
  • An ideal setup would be some sort of stream, but google fiber app doesn't like to stream to Chromecast (they want you to use their TV Boxes)
  • I still can't figure out sound ... stereo-pairable outdoor bluetooth speakers seem ideal, but how does the source work?

So ... any good ideas? The obvious answer is to get another Google Fiber TV box and put it outside. I can build a plexglass box for it to keep it out of the weather, but even just the hot/cold cycles will wreck that thing. But that might be the best way - curious for other ideas, tho.

Post here and you’ll prolly get some good replies. 

Seems like the simplest for you would be to get a small streaming device but like you said I’m not sure what their app works with. As for sound were you just trying to get TV sound or did you want sound around the pool, etc., as well?

3 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Post here and you’ll prolly get some good replies. 

Seems like the simplest for you would be to get a small streaming device but like you said I’m not sure what their app works with. As for sound were you just trying to get TV sound or did you want sound around the pool, etc., as well?

The challenge with any streaming device is that Google Fiber app doesn't play well with most of them, and as we're a Google TV customer ... womp womp. I'll post over on that thread, too - thanks for the heads up.

• 1 year later...

Bumping this for any recs on large outdoor projection set ups.  

Would like to be able to host outdoor COVID friendly movies for family and friends, and football duh.

Thinking something like this:

71bej4zekBL._AC_UY218_.jpg

OR

71H8tslg3yL._AC_UY218_.jpg

What projector specs to look for etc...

Would like to keep this all under $500.  Audio equipment not necessary. 

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I just purchased a projector yesterday.  Supposed to get here today.  If I remember, I'll jump back on here after the sun goes down and let you know how well it worked.  

What projector.  I am starting to think that I am going to have to find a refurbed one to keep close to my target budget. 

Definitely not.  Sound quality would be as good as the best FM quality, if that's good enough for you.  I would assume Sonos would be much better quality.

Just throwing this out if you're wanting to stay cheap, I use this to listen to whatever the fuck I connect to it while I mow the yard through 3M WorkTunes Headphones (also highly recommended, get the BT model, pay the extra).  Has about a good 300 yard distance but my brother in law could pick it up in his PU a 1/4 mile away.  Just gotta find the unused FM station location on the dial and use it.  Same technology they use at the Drive-ins or how the mega xmas decorators get their xmas music into your car as you drive by.  Bluetooth doesn't hold a fucking candle to this.  Boom box, receiver, whatever, doesn't matter as long as it gets the full range of FM channels, it will play it.

I guess the one I use is no longer available, but this is from the same company

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Signstek-FM-Transmitter-Long-Range-Stereo-Broadcast-ST-05B-Dual-Modes-0-1W-0-5W-/193655908160?hash=item2d16caa740%3Ag%3A2o4AAOSwZsxc76m1&nma=true&si=cLKM4QOTmzVXzaJ7dnT0ieO2xzY%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

this is similar to what I have

https://www.ebay.com/itm/0-6W-LONG-RANGE-WIRELESS-FM-TRANSMITTER-CHURCH-SCHOOL-DRIVE-IN-free-shipping/143663499562?hash=item217303092a:g:uNkAAOSwUD5exIE2

I bypassed the battery though, and connected to a USB 5V switch directly so theres no charging bullshit involved.

FM vacant channel list by your area

https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/vacant

Edited by mulletpelini
FCC sucks
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, fluff said:

Piggybacking on this for one question. How can I get sound on my outdoor speakers from my outdoor tv without having to run a hard line. Outdoor speakers powered through receiver inside the house.

is Sonos my only option? 

will a Sonos speaker that is not a sound bar even connect to a TV or streaming device?  I thought not

Does your receiver have multiple ZONES?

Edited by ChickenSandwich

@Anastasis

FYI, the projector referenced above works great.  

The Chromebook I have shows video in HD which, I'm assuming most devices do as well these days.  I didn't spend much time trying to fine-tune my initial setup, but I had it projecting from 11 feet to a king-sized bed sheet ~ 7'X6'.  I'd say the video quality was about 95% of that of the computer screen.  Not bad considering the dimensions of a Chromebook screen.  

Couple of things.  1.  I'm def going to buy a screen in lieu of the sheet.  The wrinkles were distracting.  2.  I'm def going to need a sound enhancement.  The sound quality was good, but nowhere near enough to overcome some outdoor sounds (cars).  3.  I did not notice a hum from the device's fan.  I've read this is an issue for some projectors.  4. Setup is extremely easy.  The short length of the manual made me nervous; however, connecting it is as simple as connecting a computer to a tv.  One just needs to know how to mirror the computer.   5.  Finally, I don't know enough about projectors to make a judgement, but I don't see any way in which this projector will work during the day.  Going in, I assumed that it'd be similar to the TVs one sees at a tailgate in that, with enough shade, you'd be able to see the screen well.  Last night the sun had to pretty much be completely down before the video looked good enough to comfortably watch.

• Hook 'Em 1

The only way you're going to get a projector to be visible outside is if its in a completely sealed dark enclosure behind the screen.  It's essentially a light bulb, so any light that passes through its projection before it hits the screen will diminish its effect.  It's why in a home theater your lights have to be to the sides of your screen and projector, never directly above or in the path.

• Hook 'Em 1