2019 US Open @ Pebble Beach

Wally Fairway

12 minutes ago, pops said:

I'm in the minority...I don't mind Fox for the most part. They are way better than they were when they started a few years ago. 

But azinger. Just fuck off. 

Azinger and all his folksy sayings are annoying. The rest is good. 

3 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

No kidding, when did he turn into such a little bitch?  Complaining about the bounce on 17?  WTF?

To be fair, you wouldn’t expect a ball to defy gravity and physics by bouncing backwards and rolling uphill through fairly thick rough. Seems obvious he was aiming for that left ridge and just missed, but I can understand the response. Good shot? No. But also not how that ball would normally react. 

Either way he’s clearly frustrated, and he’s had a LOT of bad breaks this round. He’s playing better than his scorecard.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

No kidding, when did he turn into such a little bitch?  Complaining about the bounce on 17?  WTF?

I’d hate to break it to you, but he’s always been this way. It just didn’t show as much when he was winning majors.

Greller is great -- acts like he doesn't even remember what Jordan said on #8 at Pebble.  Guess he just knows Spieth likes to talk and needs to vent to blow off steam when shots don't go that well. If you're Greller, you probably don't take most of the comments Spieth makes in the heat of battle that personally.  Players and caddies make mistakes all the time and have to forget about them and move on.

Frustrated Spieth downplays spat with caddie

PEBBLE BEACH, Calif -- Jordan Spieth couldn't believe what he saw when he reached the end of the fairway of the eighth hole at Pebble Beach during his opening round of the 119th U.S. Open on Thursday.  After considering whether to hit a hybrid on the tee earlier that morning, he elected to hit a 4-iron to play it safe. He didn't want to blast his drive though the fairway and into Carmel Bay, which sits at the bottom of a 100-foot cliff.

When Spieth and his caddie, Michael Greller, reached the end of the fairway, they learned his ball had rolled through the fairway and into the water. His ball had flown about 217 yards but bounced hard and rolled another 45.   Spieth dropped a ball on the other side of the fairway for his third shot, which must carry the cliff and fall onto a small green that is severely sloped to the front. He flew the green and landed in the deep rough behind it.  "I hit two perfect shots and they both ended up in the wrong location," said Spieth, who finished 1-over 72 and is tied for 58th after 18 holes.

While walking to the eighth green, Spieth turned to Greller and said, "Two perfect shots there, Michael. You got me one in the water and one over the green.".  Microphones captured their exchange on Fox's TV broadcast, and Spieth was quickly criticized on social media for seemingly throwing his caddie under the bus. 

After the round, Spieth said he was only frustrated that he and Greller hadn't come up with the correct number on the third shot. Spieth said they had agreed that a 4-iron was the right club off the tee; Justin Rose, who was playing in Spieth's threesome, also hit a 4-iron and was safely in the fairway.  "We were talking about potentially one less [club on the third shot], and I said, 'But isn't it playing about 60 with a fade?' And then he said yes," Spieth said. "So we both agreed on that. It was clearly a 4-iron off the tee. At the same time, when you hit a couple of shots exactly where you want to, and the first one is in the water and the next one is dead over the green, I'm going to be frustrated that as a team we didn't figure out how to make sure that didn't happen. "Yeah, I may have looked like the bad guy there, but my intentions were that we should be in play if the ball is hit solidly, and I was out of play on both shots."

After the round, Greller told ESPN that he didn't even remember the exchange.  "What exchange? What did he say? I don't remember." Greller told ESPN's Michael Collins.

Spieth said having shots between clubs was a problem during his opening round, which is even harder at a U.S. Open.  "I feel like I started to swing the club well, but it took until seven or eight," Spieth said. "I hit a lot of good shots and had some in-between numbers. At the U.S. Open, it's hard with in-between numbers because if you take one more and pitch it green high, it's over the green. I felt like I played better than I scored today.  "I had a lot of great putts that dove across the hole or lipped out. It was about the highest I could have shot. I feel fine about where my game is at. It's just kind of a bit unfortunate today."

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/26969440/frustrated-spieth-downplays-spat-caddie

It's not the best look for him but I'm sure there are comments like that between lots of players and caddies that just don't get captured by the mic. If he and Greller have a system that works for them then it really doesn't make a difference whether Jordan looks bad.

I think he let the slump get to his head and is over-critical of every mistake he makes on the course right now. He actually has three consecutive top-10's -- so arguably he's not in a slump at this exact moment -- but with his last win coming in 2017 it's easy to see why he's frustrated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Auto Driller said:

It's not the best look for him but I'm sure there are comments like that between lots of players and caddies that just don't get captured by the mic. If he and Greller have a system that works for them then it really doesn't make a difference whether Jordan looks bad.

I think he let the slump get to his head and is over-critical of every mistake he makes on the course right now. He actually has three consecutive top-10's -- so arguably he's not in a slump at this exact moment -- but with his last win coming in 2017 it's easy to see why he's frustrated.

His two-way miss off the tee and not as sharp approach shots are Jordan's two major problems right now.  His short game and putter have been much improved over the last month.

Just now, LTtxfan said:

His two-way miss off the tee and not as sharp approach shots are Jordan's two major problems right now.  His short game and putter have been much improved over the last month.

This is absolutely correct. There is almost no way to compete on tour if you have a two way miss off the tee. Hell, I've eliminated the two way miss off the tee in MY golf game. Jordan shouldn't have this much of a problem with it. 

2 hours ago, alincoln said:

It's a bit stunning how many golf shots FOX shows while CBS would be showing Tiger walking to the tee box and chewing gum for 2 minutes 

Or while NBC would be showing player profiles and puff pieces from Jimmy Roberts. 

I appreciate that Fox will be showing golf all damn day. And lots of golf shots. 

2 hours ago, alincoln said:

It's a bit stunning how many golf shots FOX shows while CBS would be showing Tiger walking to the tee box and chewing gum for 2 minutes 

I was listening to this week's NLU podcast and one of them picked a random 30 minute time block. 23 golf shots, 23 commercials. (included live look ins)

Conditions almost identical today as yesterday. Light wind, cloudy to partly cloudy, mid 50s, high humidity. Course there for the taking again today. A few tough pin placements

D9BmkzEWsAAWmJf.jpg:large