Damn Weber

Landomatic

Slice It Thin & Against the Grain

Like trees, all beef has a grain.  It’s important to slice in the opposite direction of the grain so the meat pulls apart easily.  The point and the flat have grains that move in different directions.  As you’re slicing through the flat and you start to approach the point be sure to rotate the muscle to ensure you’re still cutting against the grain.  The thinner the slice the more tender it will be.

Slicing%20Brisket-3_1000.jpg

brisket-bend_600(1).jpg

10 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

First picture, although not specifically labelled as such, is probably an example of how not to slice the brisket. 

Holy shit that's the same original picture as on the Weber site.  So, some dumbass on the Weber marketing team used a "how not to slice a brisket" stock image for their "Smoke a Bomb Brisket" campaign.  Unreal.  Someone should write a sternly worded letter.

w1cyyp.png

10 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Holy shit that's the same original picture as on the Weber site.  So, some dumbass on the Weber marketing team used a "how not to slice a brisket" stock image for their "Smoke a Bomb Brisket" campaign.  Unreal.  Someone should write a sternly worded letter.

w1cyyp.png

I pulled all of that from the Weber site.  My guess is the brisket slicing guy is not the webmaster.  Webmaster just grabbed a picture without knowing it was the "what not to do" picture.  Or the pictures are randomly generated by an algorithm.  

CSB

Friend was attempting his first brisket and I shared everything I've learned from shaggy, told him always slice against the grain but failed to mention that the grain runs different directions in the flat vs point. Went over to his house after brisket was done and he was all half the brisket is great and the other half is inedible. I walked over to his cutting board and yep he's slicing the point with the grain. Turned it 90 degrees and sliced off a chunk and handed it to friend, blew his fucking mind.

My assumption by looking at the supplies in that shot is that the guy is making burnt ends. In which case cutting like that might be an acceptable first step in cutting some cubes from the point. 

Edited by Anastasis

13 hours ago, Anastasis said:

My assumption by looking at the supplies in that shot is that the guy is making burnt ends. In which case cutting like that might be an acceptable first step in cutting some cubes from the point. 

He served the burnt end in the video.

13 hours ago, Anastasis said:

No matter - the BBQ gods are displeased.  There are venial sins.  Sins of convenience.  And there are mortal sins.  Though shalst learn how to F-ing cut.....

giphy.gif

32 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I think my favorite part of the whole thing is the actual slicing at the end. He's trying to look cool and go fast but if you watch half the slices are like 3/4" thick and the other half are paper thin.

At the very end he nearly slices the end of his finger off.

• 1 year later...

Another Weber gimmick. Did Weber jump the shark? They've missed on everything they've done lately.

Their Big Green Egg competitor, Weber Charcoal Grill Series, was overpriced and marketed wrong, so much so that they had to completely revamp it a year later to introduce the Weber Kamado Series for less money and with an appropriate name.

Then their pellet smokers, the Weber Smokefire Series, rolled out with huge problems to horrendous reviews (I think there may have even been a recall on them). They're now offering a "2nd Generation" version less than a year in and it looks like they've somehow padded the shit out of their own reviews. Over 100 glowing reviews in the last 4 months - a lot of the standard grills on their site don't have 100 reviews over several years.

Now this shit....

Introducing Weber Smart Grills...no room for error, only perfectly grilled food

Cool, set it and forget it technology like a pellet smoker, only for a grill?

No. It's just a regular grill, but it has a meat thermometer mounted on the front. For an extra $250. What. The. Fuck.

It's not a smart grill.  They don't even do a very good job of trying to hide what it really is. That must be one hell of a meat thermometer.

I've always loved Weber, but that kind of shit drives me crazy. Talk about insulting your customers. Not sure what's going on over there, but they need some new decision makers.

61006601CR_1800x1800_REV3.png?auto=compr

I haven't had any problems with my circa-2015 Spirit, but yeah if you look at basically anywhere with honest reviews, it's people talking about how Weber quality has gone down from where it used to be.

My Spirit is propane, but I just moved to a new house with a gas hookup. Weber specifically says on their website that you can't convert it and doing so will void the warranty (I'm out anyway). I swear people have told me they used to sell the conversion kits themselves.

... the front end of new technology can be tricky, sometimes.

That and $250 for an internal temperature probe?  There’s a number of other (equal/better/cheaper) options that aren’t hardwired to one specific device.

BTW, I have a Weber Summit that’s an absolute beast.  But, sometimes I think Weber gets by on name ...

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

I swear people have told me they used to sell the conversion kits themselves.

fwiw i bought a used genesis back in 2015, it was nat gas.  i had to buy the propane conversion kit from a third party.  

1 hour ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

... the front end of new technology can be tricky, sometimes.

That and $250 for an internal temperature probe?  There’s a number of other (equal/better/cheaper) options that aren’t hardwired to one specific device.

BTW, I have a Weber Summit that’s an absolute beast.  But, sometimes I think Weber gets by on name ...

The lid of the latest generation of genesis grills is made of thinner metal than earlier models.    They are bordering on flimsy now.  They also did away with the enclosed cabinet at the bottom of them.  It's something to keep an eye on.

I have a 2011 Genesis and I don't see any reason to ever need another gas grill.  Periodically, I've replaced parts (heat deflectors, flavorizer bars, an ignitor), but costs little to keep it in good working order.  Grill cover keeps everything dry and looking good.

Been looking at charcoal grills for a couple of months now.  I had a 18" WSM that I could quasi-rig as a grill but gave it to a buddy for his mountain cabin.  Upgraded to a 22" WSM and like it OK.  A LOT bigger than the 18, though.  Harder to move around, take the drum off, etc.  I had about decided on a Weber Kettle and quasi-talked myself into the Performer, but $439!  Snooping around and stumbled on PK Grills.  My folks had one of these they bought in the 60s that lasted for years sitting out in the rain without a cover.  $369, plus it looks like it would be easier to configure for reverse searing steaks, etc. than a kettle.  Plus, the nostalgia of my late parents having one.  I believe Aaron Franklin is a fan.  Anybody have one of them?  

_SR_5475__47182.1496352896.1280__26627.1

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, baboso said:

Been looking at charcoal grills for a couple of months now.  I had a 18" WSM that I could quasi-rig as a grill but gave it to a buddy for his mountain cabin.  Upgraded to a 22" WSM and like it OK.  A LOT bigger than the 18, though.  Harder to move around, take the drum off, etc.  I had about decided on a Weber Kettle and quasi-talked myself into the Performer, but $439!  Snooping around and stumbled on PK Grills.  My folks had one of these they bought in the 60s that lasted for years sitting out in the rain without a cover.  $369, plus it looks like it would be easier to configure for reverse searing steaks, etc. than a kettle.  Plus, the nostalgia of my late parents having one.  I believe Aaron Franklin is a fan.  Anybody have one of them?  

I bought one for myself and quickly realized that it was too small for my liking. I wound up giving it to my mom when I won a bigger pit in an auction.

It is an awesome grill and bombproof though. There is not much clearance between the fire and cooking surface so chicken can get dicey. They make a set of grill grates that will cut down on flare-ups, I never bought them but they would be a good idea. There's not a lot of real estate to shift things around in there if you're cooking for a group.

4 hours ago, baboso said:

I really like the vintage look.  Thing looks like a grilling tank connected to my Grandpa's walker.  Get some tennis balls on those legs, pronto!

• Haha 1