Rick Barnes thread

Goo Punch

On 4/23/2019 at 10:58 AM, Foggy Notion said:

Was Barnes really tapping UT co-ed ass while he was coaching here? I've seen at least one reference to this in this thread although I haven't read every page.

Back in the early or mid 2000s, my ex-wife reconnected with one of her childhood friends who had attended the same church when they were kids. The friend told my ex that she was fucking Barnes but had to keep it on the down low. That woman was going to UT and would've been in her late teens or early 20s at the time. My ex-wife lied about a lotta shit, but she didn't even know who Barnes was when she told me the story back then so I always suspected there might've been some truth to it. I never really gave a shit, but all this "Rick Barnes is a devout Christian man" talk got me thinking about it again.

That was the impetus for him to find God. It was after that he became born again or whatever. 

On 4/23/2019 at 4:26 PM, LTtxfan said:

Anybody subscribe to The Athletic??

Per Finebaum, in article below it is disclosed that Barnes reached out to UCLA about the job...... Barnes had agreed in principle to accept the job..... and UCLA was even scheduling a news conference during the Final 4 to announce Barnes hiring at UCLA.....

Here's link: 

https://theathletic.com/937270/2019/04/22/the-inside-story-on-how-mick-cronin-got-to-ucla-and-where-he-goes-from-here/

grassroots impresario Sonny Vaccaro

fucking LOL, like waste management impresario Tony Soprano

58 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

fucking LOL, like waste management impresario Tony Soprano

I don't remember what it was but a few years ago, we were talking at one of the reunions and he mentioned something about Los Angeles. I don't remember if it was about family or something else but his interest in LA doesn't come as a surprise.

54 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

I don't remember what it was but a few years ago, we were talking at one of the reunions and he mentioned something about Los Angeles. I don't remember if it was about family or something else but his interest in LA doesn't come as a surprise.

I was making fun of the characterization of Sonny Vaccaro, who's done as much to ruin the sport as anyone, as an entrepreneur

5 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I was making fun of the characterization of Sonny Vaccaro, who's done as much to ruin the sport as anyone, as an entrepreneur

No problem. My comment was just a specific one and not referring to another post. Having said that, you are right about Sonny. Between him and espn, college sports has been destroyed.

16 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Assuming those stories are true, lulz at barnes fucking up the UCLA gig, and then vomiting out some bullshit about It being some artifact of  God's providence that he is still at Tenn.

Barnes’s hypocrisy knows no bounds. He used up all of his good equity in his press conference where came across as a hypocritical piece of shit buffoon. 

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

Assuming those stories are true, lulz at barnes fucking up the UCLA gig, and then vomiting out some bullshit about It being some artifact of  God's providence that he is still at Tenn.

yeah, pretty hard to walk that one back. bad move Rick.

Really interesting and instructive on overplaying your hand.  Barnes agrees to a deal, then comes back and says he wants more money.  UCLA calls his bluff and says no, Barnes says okay I’ll take the deal we agreed upon but the Bruins tell him it’s off the table.  Wow.  If he has a rough season, it will get uncomfortable quick in Knoxville as he reads like he wanted to leave and perceived not be really loyal.  I’m not a Barnes hater and I have no issues with people trying to get raises but this is ugly...

Edited by Patrick Bateman

It's just playing the game and he lost the hand by trying to call UCLA's bluff that it was their final offer when they weren't bluffing (although it was poor negotiating form to do that after an agreement).

It didn't get really bad until the bullshit about praying and God telling him to stay in Tennessee. I don't think anyone in this world would confuse Dan Guerrero with God. No offense to Dan.

Edited by Huckleberry

26 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

It's just playing the game and he lost the hand by trying to call UCLA's bluff that it was their final offer when they weren't bluffing (although it was poor negotiating form to do that after an agreement).

It didn't get really bad until the bullshit about praying and God telling him to stay in Tennessee. I don't think anyone in this world would confuse Dan Guerrero with God. No offense to Dan.

This is Tennessee we're taking about. They'll believe that shit just as quick as derka did.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry, but why the fuck do you think anyone on this board gives two shits where Keon Johnson goes to school?  Your man love for a fired coach is sad and pathetic.  So sorry you got your fee-fees hurt when your lover went East, but he's no longer associated with this school, and nobody here gives a fuck about his recruiting.  Go find a Vols board to pollute with your endless inane drivel.  

Christ, you are an insufferable twat.

• Like 1

Royal Ivey was a no-star recruit who went to a fine arts HS to dance. He's now the UT record holder for starts and tournament games played, and a tenured NBA vet and respected NBA coach.

PJ Tucker grew up in North Carolina yet didn't receive any ACC offers. He was named the Big XII POY and was also an All American his sophomore year.

Isaiah Taylor was a low 3* whose only other offer was San Jose State and he went on to be named 1st team All Conference at PG ahead of Frank Mason and Jevon Carter, and also ended up in the NBA.

Jordan Bone was a 3* being recruited by Chattanooga and La Tech. He went on to be first team All Conference, a finalist for the Cousy award his junior year, and is now a soon-to-be early entry NBA draft pick. 

Admiral Schofield was an overweight tweener who was about to commit to Wisconsin - Green Bay when Rick offered him at Tennessee. Went on to be an All American and two-time All-SEC player.

Grant Williams was being recruited by Hampton and Appalachian State when Barnes offered him at Tennessee. Went on the be a two-time SEC POY, two-time All American, and a Naismith Award finalist.

Nobody threw a party whenever Rick Barnes recruited these guys, and yet look at that success. And that says nothing of the myriad of other role players who weren't highly recruited- your Paulino's, Atchley's, Jordan Bowden's, and Doj Balbay's.

Barnes is among the best in the country when it comes to taking no-name recruits and getting the most out of them. Not that that should be news to anyone here.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 9:04 PM, Goo Punch said:

Royal Ivey was a no-star recruit who went to a fine arts HS to dance. He's now the UT record holder for starts and tournament games played, and a tenured NBA vet and respected NBA coach.

PJ Tucker grew up in North Carolina yet didn't receive any ACC offers. He was named the Big XII POY and was also an All American his sophomore year.

Isaiah Taylor was a low 3* whose only other offer was San Jose State and he went on to be named 1st team All Conference at PG ahead of Frank Mason and Jevon Carter, and also ended up in the NBA.

Jordan Bone was a 3* being recruited by Chattanooga and La Tech. He went on to be first team All Conference, a finalist for the Cousy award his junior year, and is now a soon-to-be early entry NBA draft pick. 

Admiral Schofield was an overweight tweener who was about to commit to Wisconsin - Green Bay when Rick offered him at Tennessee. Went on to be an All American and two-time All-SEC player.

Grant Williams was being recruited by Hampton and Appalachian State when Barnes offered him at Tennessee. Went on the be a two-time SEC POY, two-time All American, and a Naismith Award finalist.

Nobody threw a party whenever Rick Barnes recruited these guys, and yet look at that success. And that says nothing of the myriad of other role players who weren't highly recruited- your Paulino's, Atchley's, Jordan Bowden's, and Doj Balbay's.

Barnes is among the best in the country when it comes to taking no-name recruits and getting the most out of them. Not that that should be news to anyone here.

He was also among the best at taking name recruits and getting the least out of them. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
9 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Why do we have a Rick Barnes thread? He's been gone for what, 4-5 years now?

actually, the thread was created to have ONE place for all of the Rick Barnes talk that kept infiltrating every single other UT thread back on Shaggy, and it wasn't me who kept bringing his name up over and over and over. That is why this thread was originally started, and it's simply continuing here.

And just like on the old site, it continues to be incredibly ironic how the narrative is "yeah, Derka can't stop talking about Barnes", when the truth is that scores of you all can't stop coming to this thread to complain about this thread, or to post how you don't care (see above). Complaining about anyone here who still talks about the GOAT coach at our school in his dedicated thread while also going back to said thread over and over to whine about it is...well it's par for the course for this site (and the old one), but it's still pretty fucking stupid. 

Also, these people who come in here acting clueless as to why this thread would exist; really? It's totally beyond your comprehension as to why Texas basketball fans might occasionally find reason to talk about the guy who is responsible for, i dunno, 90% of the program's success, a coach who is still active, is still in the spotlight, who was just named national coach of the year, etc? No clue why his name might pop up every now and then on a board like this, and why it makes sense to have one single place to hold all of those talks? Okie dokie. If you say so. 

Edited by Goo Punch

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tennessee drops Murray State in Knoxville which marks 28 consecutive home wins for the Vols, the longest streak in the nation. I was only able to watch the second half (they were down 9 entering the half), and man, they were awesome in that half of basketball. The Vols won the second half 47-19, and they were just super efficient on both ends of the floor. Turner, Bowden, and Pons were all awesome. Turner had 14 ast to 0 TO's, Bowden dropped 26, and Pons was scoring, blocking shots, and even went 3/4 from deep. Vols look like they'll have another good team this year, and definitely could finish higher than 5th in the SEC, which was where the media voted them. 

2 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

You guys can give Derka all the grief you want.  Doesn’t mean that Texas didn’t pull a colossal fuckup when they canned Barnes.  Especially since the current SJWIC has become a colossal fucking failure.  I mean I wish Barnes never left.  Basketball has been a complete joke since he was fired.

Well yes, but TX basketball was also a complete joke in Barnes' final 4 years.

39 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Well yes, but TX basketball was also a complete joke in Barnes' final 4 years.

Rick's last 4 years we went 80-57 with 3 tourney appearances, which is actually a pretty a damn good 4 year stretch within the context of Texas basketball history. The only thing that even makes those years so disappointing is the unprecedented success that we enjoyed under Rick Barnes prior to those 4 seasons. I don't have the numbers here in front of me, but prior to Barnes' arrival at Texas I doubt we made 3 tourney appearances in 4 years more than probably once. Now that type of performance constitutes "a complete fucking joke". Thats simply a testament to what Barnes did here. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

On 9/9/2019 at 6:42 PM, Goo Punch said:

actually, the thread was created to have ONE place for all of the Rick Barnes talk that kept infiltrating every single other UT thread back on Shaggy, and it wasn't me who kept bringing his name up over and over and over. That is why this thread was originally started, and it's simply continuing here.

Lies. This thread was created because YOU interjected Barnes into every thread on the board. Like a fucking Bat Signal. 

This thread is as close as you are able to come with “letting go”

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Rick's last 4 years we went 80-57 with 3 tourney appearances, which is actually a pretty a damn good 4 year stretch within the context of Texas basketball history. The only thing that even makes those years so disappointing is the unprecedented success that we enjoyed under Rick Barnes prior to those 4 seasons. I don't have the numbers here in front of me, but prior to Barnes' arrival at Texas I doubt we made 3 tourney appearances in 4 years more than probably once. Now that type of performance constitutes "a complete fucking joke". Thats simply a testament to what Barnes did here. 

We made it to the NCAAT 4 consecutive years twice under Penders. Of course, we were absolute dog crap before that.