Rick Barnes thread

Goo Punch

He's a very good college hoops coach. Not elite, but very good, and even a great regular season coach. No shame in that at all. If he actually ever does win a title with Tennessee then he'll absolutely have to be considered a great, HOF coach. As it stands simply being a very good coach has Barnes in line to be the greatest coach in the history of two power conference programs. Not bad at all. 

10 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Rick's last 4 years we went 80-57 with 3 tourney appearances, which is actually a pretty a damn good 4 year stretch within the context of Texas basketball history. The only thing that even makes those years so disappointing is the unprecedented success that we enjoyed under Rick Barnes prior to those 4 seasons. I don't have the numbers here in front of me, but prior to Barnes' arrival at Texas I doubt we made 3 tourney appearances in 4 years more than probably once. Now that type of performance constitutes "a complete fucking joke". Thats simply a testament to what Barnes did here. 

Dont disagree with any of that.  I like Barnes.  His first ~10 years set the standard for the last 4. 

But it's not wrong for fans to expect that level of success after a full continuous decade of excellence.

Being 1 of 68 entrants to a tournament shouldn't really be a high bar to clear (yes, i know arizona and ucla and others miss it from time to time).  Barnes didnt get fired because he couldnt get in the tourney... he got fired because in his last 4 years, he escaped the first round of the Tourney ONCE

Edited by 52-80

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Dont disagree with any of that.  I like Barnes.  His first ~10 years set the standard for the last 4. 

But it's not wrong for fans to expect that level of success after a full continuous decade of excellence.

Being 1 of 68 entrants to a tournament shouldn't really be a high bar to clear (yes, i know arizona and ucla and others miss it from time to time).  Barnes didnt get fired because he couldnt get in the tourney... he got fired because in his last 4 years, he escaped the first round of the Tourney ONCE

Why are you dissing our first round CBI loss?  That was abysmal. 

23f03187fd8f88964bcf92bebf492b77.jpg

It's obviously still really early, but to lose Bone, Williams, and Schofield to the NBA and rise come back looking the way they have? Very impressive thus far. And the Vols have gotten absolutely nothing from their 5* PG Josiah James. Again, really impressed with the Vols so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I don’t really understand this thread. What is its purpose? Rick Barnes is a great coach. Rick Barnes’ last few years at Texas we’re not up to his usual standard. What’s the point here?

i don't understand the point of your post. you coming into this thread to whine about its existence accomplishes what exactly? 

i don't understand the point of your post. you coming into this thread to whine about its existence accomplishes what exactly? 

I don’t understand the point of your post, whining about someone questioning why this thread exists. What does this accomplish exactly?

oh, and since so many of our most distinguished posters keep popping into this thread to ask the exact same question over and over, let's just blankety address this once and for all:

I want to have a thread about Rick Barnes. How about that? I want to watch his teams play basketball and then come here and post about it. So that's what I do. If that bothers you, there's a really easy solution to that: don't fucking click on the thread!

Don't come into this thread knowing full well what's being discussed (and by whom) if all you want to do is get yourself all upset over it. This is the Rick Barnes thread; it's about Rick Barnes and his basketball team/career. That's what's going on in here. If that makes you upset, then avoid the thread. If you can't do that, then you've got bigger problems than this thread's existence.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Dbeasy said:

I don’t understand the point of your post, whining about someone questioning why this thread exists. What does this accomplish exactly?

well what i was hoping to accomplish when i asked you a question (which you seem to think = whining?) was to have you realize how pointless and Derka-ish your whiny post was, but alas, self awareness appears to be lost on you. 

3 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I don’t really understand this thread. What is its purpose? Rick Barnes is a great coach. Rick Barnes’ last few years at Texas we’re not up to his usual standard. What’s the point here?

Because Derka is really just a t-shirt fan of the University of Texas.  There's no true allegiance, thus the thread.  Cue diatribe about daddy.  Blankety.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

In the football subforum, there is a Charlie Strong thread, a Mack Brown thread, and at least eleventy billion aggy threads. Who gives a fuck if there's a Rick Barnes thread in the basketball subforum?

I might be in the minority, but the odd update on Coach Barnes is appreciated. It's possible to be a fan of Texas and Rick. They aren't mutually exclusive.

• Like 7

Well what i was hoping to accomplish when i asked a question (which you seem to think = whining?) was to have you realize how pointless and Derka-ish your whiny post was, but alas, self awareness appears to be lost on you. 

• 2 weeks later...

Lamonte Turner has come so far in the 3+ years he's been at Tennessee. and what's especially impressive this year is his play in the absence of Jordan Bone. Not many guys become a PG their senior year and just step up and average 8 assists per game, not to mention 14 ppg and 2 stl. Helluva season so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Barnes' work with last year's Big 3 as well as with LaMonte Turner and Yves Pons has been nothing short of incredible. None of these guys were thought of as anything coming out of HS, and the way that both they're bodies as well as their games have been completely transformed during their time under Barnes has been amazing. Fuck I miss having a very good coach who could develop players. 

Pons in particular has had an amazing transformation. He was basically a slightly more fluid/functional Alexis Wangmene, and now he's not only a very impactful player (Barnes said Pons is the best defender in the country), he's out here shooting jumpers and hitting threes. He already has more points this season than his previous two seasons combined. Amazing. 

Cincy still looks like Cincy. I'm not familiar with this new HC of theirs (i've learned from the broadcast that he was at N Kentucky last year and that he plays a totally different style than they did under Cronin), but his boys look as tough and tenacious as any group coached by Huggins or Cronin. This has been a hard fought, physical game, and just a fun game to watch all around. 

Edited by Goo Punch

Vols gonna take the L, but this will good experience for down the road. Even with this loss (first time they've given up 70 this year) the team has been better than i thought they would be, considering how much they lost. Gonna be interesting to see how SEC play shakes out. When the Vols shoot well they're really tough to beat. I think that finishing non the top 4 of the league would have to be considered a success. 

giphy.gif

LMAO. You are one pathetic loser. After YEARS of categorically denying that you named yourself after me because you are obsessed with me (which you did), you've now made the embarrassingly stupid mistake of pos repping your own post with yet *another* account you named after me, "Derka Derka Derka". In fact, you've spent the last hour pos repoing your own posts under that troll account:

ea48fb26299f1c8b8a9d7d1275dce68c.jpg

You've been obsessively following me around trolling me for years, and you've finally outdone yourself. You sit there and you say, "who gives a shit?!" over and over and over; well, clearly YOU give a whole fuck ton of shits about me, seeing as how pathetically obsessed you are everything i do.

your incessant trolling of me, your naming your own handle after me, and now we see you have *another* account dedicated to me. Wow. Truly pathetic.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

LMAO. You are one pathetic loser. After YEARS of categorically denying that you named yourself after me because you are obsessed with me (which you did), you've now made the embarrassingly stupid mistake of pos repping your own post with yet *another* account you named after me, "Derka Derka Derka". In fact, you've spent the last hour pos repoing your own posts under that troll account:

ea48fb26299f1c8b8a9d7d1275dce68c.jpg

You've been obsessively following me around trolling me for years, and you've finally outdone yourself. You sit there and you say, "who gives a shit?!" over and over and over; well, clearly YOU give a whole fuck ton of shits about me, seeing as how pathetically obsessed you are everything i do.

your incessant trolling of me, your naming your own handle after me, and now we see you have *another* account dedicated to me. Wow. Truly pathetic.

I agree with this.

• Like 1

Damn, huge blow to the Vols. Their leader/best player Lamonte Turner announces that his career at Tennessee is over due to upcoming surgery on his shoulder. He's been in the program for five years and helped guide the amazing turnaround that we've seen since Barnes has been there. He was one of the nation's leaders in assists this year, and just the out and out leader of the team. Huge blow that came seemingly out of nowhere, and right before conference play. Really sucks for the Vols, but at least they have a great head coach and a dynamite recruiting class coming in. Best of luck to Turner going forward.