Rick Barnes thread

Goo Punch

5 minutes ago, Deej said:

You. Show me on the doll where Rick Barnes touched you. Let it fucking go.

although you've never actually posted anything substantive or enlightening here, i'd think you've been reading here long enough to have seen one of the 10,000 times that I've said that firing Barnes was the right move, which includes maybe a week or two ago in the Fire Shaka thread. but i guess expecting you to have a fucking clue what you're talking about was my mistake from the beginning. 

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

So you think Barnes did a good job the last 7 years at Texas??

That's a "dope retort" and "dumb" to use your insults... 

Barnes had a decent run for awhile at Texas.... then he drastically underachieved at Texas during his last seven years and needed to go!!

he "had a decent run for a while" (LMAO), and then "drastically underachieved". those two things don't even add up. how can he have "drastically underachieved" when he hadn't even done anything noteworthy in the first place? 

again, you have to know literally nothing about the history of Texas hoops to be coming up with these terrible takes. 

9 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

i mean seriously, you have to have literally zero knowledge of Texas basketball history prior to Barnes to post that screencap and then scream about what an UNDERACHIEVER he was at Texas. Do you realize that in that screen cap you're showing Texas winning 20+ games in 7/8 years and going to the tourney 7/8 years? do you realize that before Barnes was hired we had never even done that before as a program? as in *never*? and yet you use THAT as your big evidence that he underachieved here? That is what you call unacceptable at Texas? why am I even acting surprised, when i know that UT hoops fans are largely clueless about anything that happened before 2003 anyway?

Went to games in Gregory and quite familiar with Texas Basketball history.  Talking about past Longhorn basketball history is way off topic here.

Yes Barnes lifted the program up for awhile, but then he dropped the ball his last 7 years... So he was underachieving with only 3 NCAA tourney wins those last 7 years.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

@immortal13 @Deej

what is the purpose of you two posting in this thread? you come here day after day just to get mad that I'm in here posting about Rick Barnes, e-screaming at me to "GET OVER IT". uh, how about you two get over it? why can't either of you get over this threads existence, or the fact that I post about the thread subject within said thread? why can't either of you get over that, and just stay away from the thread? 

You're never going to change minds this way, Derka. If anything, you probably cement their opinions because you're so combative and polarizing.

I realize you don't start many of these arguments, but they're never going to stop until you learn to ignore them.

Not hating on you or even disagreeing with you. I just wince whenever this thread is bumped because, though I appreciate the odd update on Coach Barnes, I know it'll inevitably devolve into shitshows such as this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Went to games in Gregory and quite familiar with Texas Basketball history.  Talking about past Longhorn basketball history is way off topic here.

Yes Barnes lifted the program up for awhile, but then he dropped the ball his last 7 years... So he was underachieving with only 3 NCAA tourney wins.

yes, he absolutely underachieved during his final seven years here and needed to be let go. nobody has argued otherwise in years. but to characterize his time here as underachieving, when in reality most of Texas Hoops' greatest accomplishments occurred under him is just wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

@immortal13 @Deej

what is the purpose of you two posting in this thread? you come here day after day just to get mad that I'm in here posting about Rick Barnes, e-screaming at me to "GET OVER IT". uh, how about you two get over it? why can't either of you get over this threads existence, or the fact that I post about the thread subject within said thread? why can't either of you get over that, and just stay away from the thread? 

You post Barnes shit on other threads, hypocrite

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

You're never going to change minds this way, Derka. If anything, you probably cement their opinions because you're so combative and polarizing.

I realize you don't start many of these arguments, but they're never going to stop until you learn to ignore them.

Not hating on you or even disagreeing with you. I just wince whenever this thread is bumped because, though I appreciate the odd update on Coach Barnes, I know it'll inevitably devolve into shitshows such as this.

i don't particularly care about changing the minds of two of the dumbest, lamest, never-adds-anything-to-the-discussion posters here. i know those clowns will never change their minds, and i don't care. i'd just like to be able to use this thread for its intended purpose without the two of them falling all over themselves to get upset about it. crazy concept, i know. 

4 minutes ago, Deej said:

Derka gonna Derka.

"Look at me! Look at me!"

Seek counseling.

Barnes has been gone for five years. Move on. Stop looking backwards.

"look at me"? wow. just wow. where do you guys come up with this stuff. i came in here posting about Rick Barnes, the subject of this thread, and you ran in here on your own accord and got upset about it. how on earth does you following me around making yourself upset about what i'm doing equate to "look at me"? christ the lack of self awareness on you two is amazing. 

4 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

yes, he absolutely underachieved during his final seven years here and needed to be let go. nobody has argued otherwise in years. but to characterize his time here as underachieving, when in reality most of Texas Hoops' greatest accomplishments occurred under him is just wrong. 

Thanks.

Early in his tenure at Texas, he improved the program and had a Final 4 team along with two other Elite 8 teams which was great.  My primary beef with Barnes was the last 7 years of his tenure where his team's were huge disappointments for me in the NCAA Tourney.

Just my opinion... I liked him as a coach for awhile at Texas, but was ready for him to go after 2015.

23 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

3 conference championships in 16 fucking years. THREE!!!! 

Barnes is the epitome of underachieving

Yep. We crucify Mack for shit like that, but Rick gets a pass from chucklefucks on this board for the same shit. At least Mack won a title.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Deej said:

Yep. We crucify Mack for shit like that, but Rick gets a pass from chucklefucks on this board for the same shit. At least Mack won a title.

Quick trivia question: which school has the 2nd most big 12 basketball titles?  Nobody wins this conference except KU. If Scott Drew wins the conference this year, it’ll be his first title in 17 years.

So, you think Barnes underachieved because he didn’t show up and start trading titles with Kansas? We won the SWC 13 times between 1950 and 1955. 13 titles in 45 years competing against Arkansas and SMU.

So yeah, Barnes should get a pass because pointing to his conference title hardware as proof he underachieved is really stupid.

• Like 2

how many programs are considered basketball powerhouses? 8? 10? and that's we should expect Texas basketball to be? never mind that we haven't even been a football powerhouse in more than a decade, now we need to be a hoops powerhouse? no.

Texas hoops should make the tourney and be competitive in the league on an almost yearly basis. that's pretty much it. one or two conference titles and 2-3 sweet 16 appearances in a decade is good at Texas so long as were a top 30-ish team in the years where we didn't achieve those things. anything more than that is pretty awesome. 

Edited by Goo Punch

11 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Quick trivia question: which school has the 2nd most big 12 basketball titles?  Nobody wins this conference except KU. If Scott Drew wins the conference this year, it’ll be his first title in 17 years.

So, you think Barnes underachieved because he didn’t show up and start trading titles with Kansas? We won the SWC 13 times between 1950 and 1955. 13 titles in 45 years competing against Arkansas and SMU.

So yeah, Barnes should get a pass because pointing to his conference title hardware as proof he underachieved is really stupid.

Pretty god damn impressive 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yikes. Just lost to aggy. 

Tale of the tape: Tennessee shot 46% from the field and held the Ags to 30%, but were outrebounded 46-21. The Vols have zero big men, and now start four guards and a Connor Lammert type F in Jordan Fulkerson, and they got killed on the glass tonight. 

Also, Tennessee has zero bench. Their bench is...get this...0-3 from the field in the Vols' last two games. They are relying entirely on their starting five, and they have less than zero size. I wasn't lying when I said that their roster has been bombed out and depleted. gonna be a long conference slate in Knoxville.

Edited by Goo Punch

1 hour ago, Revolution512 said:

A&M is awful but they’ll pass our program quickly with Buzz.

As for Barnes, I used to love the guy. Was always my favorite coach on campus. But eventually we all saw he wasn’t the guy. He hasn’t changed much in that regard. Would I fire Shaka to take him back? Nope. We should do better than both.

jesus christ. full derka incoming, because this post is retarded. "we all saw that he wasn't the guy and that hasn't changed." come again? yeah, by the end we all saw that his time at Texas needed to be over, but he did *remarkable* things during his time here that this program has never come close to replicating at any time before or since. he was beyond "the guy" until things ran their course after nearly two decades at one (now) major program.

as for the idea that he's "still not the guy"...the fuck? have you seen what he's done at Tennessee? at all? He took them way beyond all expectation by his third year and has been a huge success of a hire there. Tennessee's final ranking in Kenpom the last 4 years: 103, 57, 13, 10. he's also got a top 5-ish national recruiting class coming in. that's not "the guy"? okie dokie then, guess i missed where the likes of UT and UT were suddenly being held to Duke and KU standards.  

"we deserve better than both". fucking laughable. no, Texas absolutely does not "deserve better" than Rick Barnes. Our athletic department gives zero shits about the program even being good, our fans are uneducated front runners who sit on their hands and only show up when the team is great, and before Rick Barnes and his spectacular success during the aughts we were an absolute nothing program. the idea that we "deserve" better than that is why everyone hates Texas fans. fucking embarrassing. 

fuck. i rarely go full derka anymore (and honestly this doesn't even approach peak derka), but holy christ the Texas hoops fan base is so fucking uninformed on Rick Barnes (and most things CBB in general), yet they all spout the same factually wrong bullshit about Barnes with 100% conviction. great post. just exemplary of Texas hoops fans. well done. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Hook 'Em 1

whew. that was cathartic. seriously though, the idea that we deserve better than Barnes is laughable, and the idea that he was ever lesser-than, or that that "hasn't changed" is equally dumb. he's the best coach in UT hoops history by a million miles, and he's been killing it at Tennessee as well. Should we have fired him? Yep. Would pursuing him now be a good idea? Nope. None of that changes what he did here/is doing at Tennessee.

1 hour ago, Revolution512 said:

A&M is awful but they’ll pass our program quickly with Buzz.

As for Barnes, I used to love the guy. Was always my favorite coach on campus. But eventually we all saw he wasn’t the guy. He hasn’t changed much in that regard. Would I fire Shaka to take him back? Nope. We should do better than both.

Well said. We deserve much better than both, indeed. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

whew. that was cathartic. seriously though, the idea that we deserve better than Barnes is laughable, and the idea that he was ever lesser-than, or that that "hasn't changed" is equally dumb. he's the best coach in UT hoops history by a million miles, and he's been killing it at Tennessee as well. Should we have fired him? Yep. Would pursuing him now be a good idea? Nope. None of that changes what he did here/is doing at Tennessee.

12-8. Killing it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Tale of the tape: Tennessee shot 46% from the field and held the Ags to 30%, but were outrebounded 46-21. The Vols have zero big men, and now start four guards and a Connor Lammert type F in Jordan Fulkerson, and they got killed on the glass tonight. 

Also, Tennessee has zero bench. Their bench is...get this...0-3 from the field in the Vols' last two games. They are relying entirely on their starting five, and they have less than zero size. I wasn't lying when I said that their roster has been bombed out and depleted. gonna be a long conference slate in Knoxville.

Zero big men, zero bench. A guy in his fifth season should have that figured out by now.  Basketball is an easier fix than football. 

14 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

jesus christ. full derka incoming, because this post is retarded. "we all saw that he wasn't the guy and that hasn't changed." come again? yeah, by the end we all saw that his time at Texas needed to be over, but he did *remarkable* things during his time here that this program has never come close to replicating at any time before or since. he was beyond "the guy" until things ran their course after nearly two decades at one (now) major program.

as for the idea that he's "still not the guy"...the fuck? have you seen what he's done at Tennessee? at all? He took them way beyond all expectation by his third year and has been a huge success of a hire there. Tennessee's final ranking in Kenpom the last 4 years: 103, 57, 13, 10. he's also got a top 5-ish national recruiting class coming in. that's not "the guy"? okie dokie then, guess i missed where the likes of UT and UT were suddenly being held to Duke and KU standards.  

"we deserve better than both". fucking laughable. no, Texas absolutely does not "deserve better" than Rick Barnes. Our athletic department gives zero shits about the program even being good, our fans are uneducated front runners who sit on their hands and only show up when the team is great, and before Rick Barnes and his spectacular success during the aughts we were an absolute nothing program. the idea that we "deserve" better than that is why everyone hates Texas fans. fucking embarrassing. 

fuck. i rarely go full derka anymore (and honestly this doesn't even approach peak derka), but holy christ the Texas hoops fan base is so fucking uninformed on Rick Barnes (and most things CBB in general), yet they all spout the same factually wrong bullshit about Barnes with 100% conviction. great post. just exemplary of Texas hoops fans. well done. 

Your reading comprehension is fucking awful. Why do you keep quoting the word “deserves” when it wasn’t used? You’re simply not intelligent and that’s ok. It’s the hand you were dealt.  Rick is a really good coach, he’s not a championship level coach. That’s what Texas should be looking to hire. We know what Barnes is

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

Barnes has a little bit of a dust up with an SEC SEC SEC official while choking it to aggy

looks like it was not on Barnes at all though 100% on the official

That is bullshit and that official has some bad history tied to him. If he thought Barnes would back down he was nuts.

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

Zero big men, zero bench. A guy in his fifth season should have that figured out by now.  Basketball is an easier fix than football. 

well that'll happen every now and when the HC keeps taking classes full of recruits outside the top 250 and then turning then into All Americans who leave school early, plus the aforementioned injuries. but great post. 

21 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Lol.  TN lost, at home, to a team sucky Shaka handled pretty well on a neutral court.

he also went into the Phog with that same team of JV players and took KU to the wire. i'm sure Shaka will definitely do the same. 🙄 the fact that Tennessee doesn't lose every game by double digits is more impressive than anything Shaka has ever done at Texas. Their roster is the worst Barnes has had since Providence. 

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

103, 57, 13, and 10. That's what he's done at Tennessee the last four years with a bunch of zero star and two star recruits. Yes, he's been killing it. 

Tennessee has signed 19 basketball recruits since 2016. Exactly 0 of them were rated below 3 stars.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Helobious said:
Tennessee has signed 19 basketball recruits since 2016. Exactly 0 of them were rated below 3 stars.

not true. well, ok, by today's standards where literally everyone gets three stars, sure. But it wasn't always like that, and the players who Barnes has been winning with are the guys who used to get 2 stars or zero stars. look at Grant Williams, the two time All American and back to back SEC player of the year. He was literally not even ranked by Rivals, but he's a "3 star recruit" now. Check out his recruiting list:

edit: amazing. apparently i've reached my image upload limit for the month on tapatalk? and now they want me to pay them to upload more images. fuck that noise.

bottom line is this- Williams was going to Hampton- that's right, Hampton, before Barnes offered him at Tennessee. He was also being pursued by Mercer, Appalachian State, and Maryland Eastern Shore. That is a zero star recruit all day long, even if they now give everyone a 3 star participation trophy. Same goes for Admiral Schofield, who was a fat tweener in HS who was headed to U of Wisconsin Green Bay before being offered by Barnes. That's another 2-star recruit at best who ended up as an All American and early entry NBA guy.

to Helobious and everyone else here who doesn't follow Barnes, Tennessee, or their players *at all*, don't go do a fucking google search and then act like you have a clue what you're talking about. you don't. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Hook 'Em 1

Look i know that most of you have zero interest in watching any of these videos that i post, but if you only watch one, watch this one from about 2:20 to about the 3:00 mark. That 40 seconds of film alone sums up A)What Barnes did with his lowly rated recruits, and B)Why he's been such a successful basketball coach everywhere he's been. 

Edited by Goo Punch

6 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

i was merely combating your lazy, disingenuous take an equally lazy and disingenuous one. 

Really?  Because a page ago, you got all giddy because TN beat two SEC teams that were o-fer in SEC wins.  A few days later, Barnes shits the floor against a team that even FUCKING SHAKA SMART BEAT!!! and you blame the roster...... of the coach that has been there for 5 years.  You're a caricature.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Really?  Because a page ago, you got all giddy because TN beat two SEC teams that were o-fer in SEC wins.  A few days later, Barnes shits the floor against a team that even FUCKING SHAKA SMART BEAT!!! and you blame the roster...... of the coach that has been there for 5 years.  You're a caricature.

man, those are some serious mental gymnastics on display there. you take your own warped view of whatever i say and then run with it, and then try and put it on me. the post i made a page ago about was Tennessee's team defense over the course of this season *despite having such a terrible roster*. the entire post was predicated on the job they've done *with such a shitty roster*. not to mention that all i've been talking about is what an undermanned/patchwork roster they have since Turner left the team. but yeah, what a total 180 i did there when i mentioned the shitty roster again on the next page! the fuck outta here. 

Edited by Goo Punch

oh, and re the rest of your brilliant post, A)mentioning their defense in their last two games = "being giddy" over it? yeah, you invented that in your own mind.

and re: your all caps LOST TO A TEAM THAT SHAKA SMART BEAT, i thought you were being intentionally lazy and obtuse the first time you brought that up, just as a way to keep the argument going. but you're actually serious. what are you, fucking cameltoe? even after that embarrassing loss Barnes and his terrible roster are STILL BETTER THAN SHAKA AND HIS MUCH MORE TALENTED TEXAS ROSTER, all caps. So what's your fucking point?

Edited by Goo Punch