Rick Barnes thread

Goo Punch

38 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Who still goes by Rivals recruiting rankings? 247 is universally regarded as the most accurate in that field. 

okie dokie then.

247 Tennessee recruiting rankings-

2015- 

Lamonte Turner- 144 in the country 

Admiral Schofield- 251

Shembari Phillips- 261

Kyle Alexander- 362

Class Rank- 60 national, 11 SEC

2016-

Jordan Bone- 171

Kwe Parker- 173

Grant Williams- 191

John Fulkerson- 238

Jordan Bowden- 262

Class rank- 49 national, 7 SEC

Those two classes just went 57-15 over the last two seasons, won an SEC title, and reached the no.1 ranking in the country for the second time in school history. Not a single player ranked better than 144 in his senior class. And you sit here and try to refute the idea that he's been working with talent that no big programs even wanted. y'all sit in here and contend that he isn't killing it at Tennessee. laughable. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

not true. well, ok, by today's standards where literally everyone gets three stars, sure. But it wasn't always like that, and the players who Barnes has been winning with are the guys who used to get 2 stars or zero stars. look at Grant Williams, the two time All American and back to back SEC player of the year. He was literally not even ranked by Rivals, but he's a "3 star recruit" now. Check out his recruiting list:

edit: amazing. apparently i've reached my image upload limit for the month on tapatalk? and now they want me to pay them to upload more images. fuck that noise.

bottom line is this- Williams was going to Hampton- that's right, Hampton, before Barnes offered him at Tennessee. He was also being pursued by Mercer, Appalachian State, and Maryland Eastern Shore. That is a zero star recruit all day long, even if they now give everyone a 3 star participation trophy. Same goes for Admiral Schofield, who was a fat tweener in HS who was headed to U of Wisconsin Green Bay before being offered by Barnes. That's another 2-star recruit at best who ended up as an All American and early entry NBA guy.

to Helobious and everyone else here who doesn't follow Barnes, Tennessee, or their players *at all*, don't go do a fucking google search and then act like you have a clue what you're talking about. you don't. 

No one "follows" Tennessee you mindless dolt. This is a fucking Texas Longhorns board.

• Like 1

Williams in 17 minutes: 4 pts, 5 reb (2 oreb), 3 ast, 2 stl. He was also +14 in plus/minus, second best in the game. I just continue to be so impressed with how far he's come. He definitely seems like he's going to have a role in this league for a very long time, and yet I probably would have picked Schofield or even Jordan Bone to be most ready/longest tenured of that group of Vols. Great stuff. 

Tennessee's defense continues to be very impressive despite the team losing essentially everyone of import from last year's team followed by losing their starting back court from this season to injury. In their latest road win vs Bama they came back from down 15 to not only win, but to hold the #4 scoring team in the country to 14 points below their season average (including a meaningless Bama three at the buzzer). Despite their roster being annihilated, the Vols are:

•The no.1 scoring defense in the SEC

•39th nationally in AdjD

•20th in effective FG%

•15th in 2p FG%

•9th in block %

I've never seen a team lose so many players only to remain this competitive in a really tough conference. Never. This is easily one of Barnes' best coaching jobs of his career to this point. 

On 2/5/2020 at 10:16 PM, Goo Punch said:

Tennessee's defense continues to be very impressive despite the team losing essentially everyone of import from last year's team followed by losing their starting back court from this season to injury. In their latest road win vs Bama they came back from down 15 to not only win, but to hold the #4 scoring team in the country to 14 points below their season average (including a meaningless Bama three at the buzzer). Despite their roster being annihilated, the Vols are:

•39th nationally in AdjD

•20th in effective FG%

•15th in 2p FG%

•9th in block %

I've never seen a team lose so many players only to remain this competitive in a really tough conference. Never. This is easily one of Barnes' best coaching jobs of his career to this point. 

Yes, Barnes can coach unlike fraud Shaka.  

On 2/5/2020 at 10:16 PM, Goo Punch said:

•39th nationally in AdjD

•20th in effective FG%

•15th in 2p FG%

•9th in block %

Really tough conference? It's the worst of the P6.

https://www.masseyratings.com/cb/compare.htm

Really tough conference? It's the worst of the P6.
https://www.masseyratings.com/cb/compare.htm

I admit I haven't been following the SEC as closely this year, but I was basing my statement off of looking at Tennessee's schedule. 10 conference games against teams in the top 50, including five in a row to end the season. maybe the bottom of the conference sucks real bad as usual, but I believe a win in any of these ten games is a quad 1 win, yes? either way, it's a pretty tough schedule.

cd18940dc31489a6ee6169aae3b7d965.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Deej said:

He's a great coach compared to Shaka. Just don't compare him to most everybody else.

lol, yeah, uh, a guy who's going to retire with 800+ wins (might even approach 1,000) while winning 2/3 of his career games is going to compare favorably to 85-90% coaches who've ever coached at the top level, but good call. 

Edited by Goo Punch

2 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Barnes is doing an amazing job staying competitive with the shitty roster Barnes assembled 

as has been mentioned ad nauseam, the roster became unexpectedly shitty after an injury crisis, coupled with Barnes coaching up multiple guys who were outside the national top 150-250 and turning them into early entry NBA draft guys. Tennessee now has two five stars and a high four star committed for next year, rated as the no.6 class in the country. don't act like every single person here doesn't wish Texas was in the exact same position. 

Edited by Goo Punch

43 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Which was a worse decision: @immamac locking the main Texas basketball discussion thread for a week cause he was annoyed at 5 posts or something, or Rex Kramer doubling down on his laughable Coleman take?

both were pretty gay, but imo it's hard to top rex flying into a thread in a totally manic state, giving constant and repeated hot takes on stuff he doesn't even follow, much less know anything about. 

Edited by Goo Punch

34 minutes ago, Deej said:

Hey, look, Derka can't say what he wants to say in one post. Needs to dominate a thread by posting continuously.  Shocked.

Psycho. 

1)i merely responded to posts that had been made since the last time i visited the thread 

2)immortal made about 17 consecutive posts in the FSS thread yesterday which led to it getting locked, and you cheered him on while he did it, so again, quit pretending like you even believe the bullshit you type

3)you follow me around whining about me while never making a single substantive post, so you're just about the last person (aside from immortal, rex kramer, and herpa derpa) to talk here

4) @immamac said that he "sweatergawd" he would ban anyone in this specific thread who wasn't posting about the thread subject. that's you. here's to hoping immamac wasn't lying.

Edited by Goo Punch

you're getting @'ed because you said you would ban people who are doing what deej is doing, and because you locked the FSS instead of banning immortal for insane amounts of shit posting. if you followed through on what you said you would do/what's supposed to happen to people who serially shit-post then there would be no @'ing. just saying.

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

1)i merely responded to posts that had been made since the last time i visited the thread 

2)immortal made about 17 consecutive posts in the FSS thread yesterday which led to it getting locked, and you cheered him on while he did it, so again, quit pretending like you even believe the bullshit you type

3)you follow me around whining about me while never making a single substantive post, so you're just about the last person (aside from immortal, rex kramer, and herpa derpa) to talk here

4) @immamac said that he "sweatergawd" he would ban anyone in this specific thread who wasn't posting about the thread subject. that's you. here's to hoping immamac wasn't lying.

200.gif

Oh, and Derka, no one is doing anything you aren't constantly doing. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

you're getting @'ed because you said you would ban people who are doing what deej is doing, and because you locked the FSS instead of banning immortal for insane amounts of shit posting. if you followed through on what you said you would do/what's supposed to happen to people who serially shit-post then there would be no @'ing. just saying.

Do you realize that you are doing the exact thing you are accusing me of? Psycho

On 2/14/2020 at 4:25 PM, immamac said:

Stop @ ing me. And stop talking about this shit in 3 different threads. Like wtf. 

you'd be getting a lot less signal noise if you'd have just given the specific people annoying you the week off rather than giving it to the entire thread. Barking Carnival just threw in the towel tonight on Smart's tenure, which would be a pretty good topic for discussion under the umbrella of "Fire Shaka Smart". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

you'd be getting a lot less signal noise if you'd have just given the specific people annoying you the week off rather than giving it to the entire thread. Barking Carnival just threw in the towel tonight on Smart's tenure, which would be a pretty good topic for discussion under the umbrella of "Fire Shaka Smart". 

Wait, they hadn’t thrown it in before tonight? This shit has been over for weeks.

yeah we're talking about BitterWhiteGuy here. The only differences between him and Wescott Eberts are temperament, vocabulary, and loquaciousness. WE is an absolute moron on par with cameltoe. BWG is not a moron, however he has a serious complex when it comes to admitting that Shaka Smart might not be doing a great job, and/or that he's responsible for any of his own failures. don't forget that coming into this season BWG claimed that no other coach we could have hired would be doing better than Shaka was through his first four years. totally delusional. which is why him finally admitting that Shaka gots to go is seen as somewhat of a bad sign for Mr.Smart.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Up 17 on auburn. Gave up 18-0 run. Lol

Auburn rallies past Vols; fan tossed for derogatory comment

AP     1:29 p.m. CST Feb. 22, 2020

AUBURN, Ala. (AP) — Samir Doughty scored 22 points and No. 13 Auburn rallied from a 17-point deficit in the second half to beat Tennessee 73-66 on Saturday, a game marred by an ugly incident involving a fan.

A student was ejected from the game after directing a derogatory comment toward Tennessee's Santiago Vescovi and will face a disciplinary hearing, an Auburn official said. The fan was overheard on TV calling out, “Go back to Uruguay! This is America!"

Auburn stopped a two-game skid. Led by Doughty's hot streak, the Tigers (23-4, 10-4 Southeastern Conference) scored 18 consecutive points to spark the comeback against the Volunteers (15-12, 7-7).  Jordan Bowden scored a career-high 28 points and made 3 of 4 3-pointers for the Vols. Vescovi had 10 points.  The Vols rode a 13-2 run capped by Bowden's jumper to a 54-37 lead with 14:31 left. Then Auburn scored the next 18 points, including 10 by Doughty, to go ahead 55-54.

Devan Cambridge's 3-pointer with 1:38 left gave Auburn a 67-64 lead. The teams traded baskets after that before the Tigers forced a turnover.  McCormick and Doughty each hit two free throws in the final 23 seconds and Auburn scored the game's final six points.  Doughty scored 14 points in the second half and no other Auburn player reached double digits for the game. It was the Tigers' third straight game without star freshman Isaac Okoro (pulled right hamstring), and they lost the first two by double digits on the road.  Bowden had 17 points in the first half and was perfect from the field and free-throw line before halftime. He had been 7 of 35 from 3-point range (20%) over the last seven games.

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Lulz.  I saw the score at half, then noticed this thread had been bumped.  Assumed Derka was on here to gloat.

lol yeah, because bumping this thread to gloat is my MO. 🙄 what is there to even "gloat" about anyway? every time Tennessee loses to some team they're supposed to lose to one of *you* guys bump the thread to gloat. "lulz, Barnes sucks." 

Tennessee sssuuuccckkkksssss this year. i follow them more closely than all of you combined. i expect them to lose every game that isn't against Vandy. them losing on the road to Auburn moves my needle zero percent, and winning there wouldn't have meant much to me either. it's a totally lost season for Barnes. but don't let that stop you from being all concerned about me every saturday afternoon. 

Edited by Goo Punch

5 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

lol yeah, because bumping this thread to gloat is my MO. 🙄 what is there to even "gloat" about anyway? every time Tennessee loses to some team they're supposed to lose to one of *you* guys bump the thread to gloat. "lulz, Barnes sucks." 

Tennessee sssuuuccckkkksssss this year. i follow them more closely than all of you combined. i expect them to lose every game that isn't against Vandy. them losing on the road to Auburn moves my needle zero percent, and winning there wouldn't have meant much to me either. it's a totally lost season for Barnes. but don't let that stop you from being all concerned about me every saturday afternoon. 

Calm down basketball board martyr.  I meant it in a neutral way as in, "I've been telling y'all he's done a great job with very little this year ... and bringing down Auburn on the road ... pretty impressive".

YOU DONT TELL ME TO CALM DOWN. IM DERKA DERKA. IM A MAN. ILL CALM MYSELF DOWN WHEN I GODDAMN WELL FEEL LIKE IT. 

which coincidentally happens to be right now and has nothing to do with you telling me to calm down. i just want to make that clear. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

Man, a good, hard fought win today against Florida. Tennessee's PG is a freshman from Uruguay who joined the team after Christmas, they have no size, no shooters, and zero bench, but holy shit do they play some team D. Got up by as much as 19 today, but Florida got real hot for about the first 8 minutes of the 2H and made it close from there on out. Blackshear almost single handedly won the game for Florida, but a couple huge shots and let stops in the final minute sealed the W for the Vols. They're gonna have a pretty good team next year and going forward as well.