Rick Barnes thread

Goo Punch

Just look at his record in March. Look at the talent he has wasted at Texas and Tenn. He is basically robbing us

If the goal is to “have a chance to make it to the tournament almost every year” then Barnes shouldn’t be the fifth highest paid coach in the country.

Outside of Houston, O’Neil, and Buzz, we’ve mostly had pretty good coaches over the past 30-40 years. Barnes isn’t worth what we are paying him. Fulmer pretty much ruined everything he touched as AD.

You’re delusional. Pearl had us in the tourney every year he was here. Took us to an Elite 8. It’s not like our program has sucked. Barnes takes great teams and underachieves every year. He’s not worth what we pay him

I guess Volnation doesn't appreciate KenPom enough.

• Haha 3

On 3/16/2021 at 8:41 PM, MotownHorn said:

Who else has Oregon State all day every day this week?

Death, taxes, and Rick Barnes shitting the bed in March 

Thank you Rick for the free money these past 2 weeks. It’s been an absolute pleasure betting against you. I only wish you could coach more teams this weekend so I could make more money. 

I’m so fucking glad he’s not our coach anymore 🤘🏼

Edited by MotownHorn
Typos
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

I was in attendance for our loss against Butler. I think that was his last game at Texas right?

It was so fucking painful. 50-45 or some BS like that 

ah, maybe that's the game i'm thinking of rather than the cincinnati game (which was still pathetic in its own right).  48 fucking points.  myles turner played 16 minutes...

4 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

I was in attendance for our loss against Butler. I think that was his last game at Texas right?

It was so fucking painful. 50-45 or some BS like that 

it was 48..

i remember ol dude hit a 3 at the end of the half to take the lead.

or something like that..

but 48... lol

Well this is awkward.

Article written in 2011 before...

2012 - 11 seed, scored 59 points and lost to a 5 seed.

2013 - CBI

2014 - 7 seed, lost by 14 to 2 seed.

2015 - 11 seed, scored 48 points in loss to Butler.

2016 - @ TN no tourney

2017 - @ TN no tourney

2018 - 3 seed lost to 11 seed

2019 - 2 seed lost to 3 seed

2021 - 5 seed lost to 12 seed

https://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/indexb6a4.html?p=9088

Coach Games Exp. Wins Wins Diff
11Rick Barnes 39 24.31 20 -4.31
Norm Stewart 17 10.65 7 -3.65
Oliver Purnell 6 3.24 0 -3.24
Kelvin Sampson 25 15.14 12 -3.14
Gene Keady 33 21.07 18 -3.07
Lou Henson 19 12.00 9 -3.00
Eddie Fogler 8 4.92 2 -2.92
Danny Nee 6 2.92 0 -2.92
Bob Huggins 46 29.72 27 -2.72
Jamie Dixon 19 13.60 11 -2.60
Skip Prosser 15 8.55 6 -2.55
Bob Knight 42 26.53 24 -2.53
Jerry Green 8 5.46 3 -2.46
Fran Dunphy 15 4.40 2 -2.40
Steve Lappas 6 4.28 2 -2.28
Al Skinner 16 9.28 7 -2.28
Dave Odom 19 12.16 10 -2.16
Mike Brey 15 8.02 6 -2.02
Billy Tubbs 22 15.96 14 -1.96
Dana Altman 10 3.90 2 -1.90
Dave Bliss 15 7.87 6 -1.87
George Raveling 5 2.82 1 -1.82
Bobby Lutz 7 3.77 2 -1.77
Mike Montgomery 31 18.67 17 -1.67
Jud Heathcote 14 8.54 7 -1.54
Hugh Durham 5 2.54 1 -1.54
Rick Stansbury 10 5.48 4 -1.48
Jeff Mullins 3 1.43 0 -1.43
Tim Welsh 3 1.37 0 -1.37
Lute Olson 61 40.37 39 -1.37

Well, what do you know? Barnes and Dixon are actually among the worst offenders when it comes to underperforming their seeds in the NCAA Tournament; in fact, Barnes is the worst of any coach since 1985. And at the other end of the spectrum, here are the coaches who overperformed their teams' seeds by the greatest number of wins:

1 minute ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

I was done with Barnes when we lost to Swaggy and Taj Gibson at USC with Kevin fuckin Durant and DJ Augustine. It’s bad enough we didn’t make the final four with that stupid talent Lamarcus Aldridge squad.

KD went ham that game..

our ass was kicked all game.

i do remember DJ shit the bed was 1 basket.. 

15 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

ah, maybe that's the game i'm thinking of rather than the cincinnati game (which was still pathetic in its own right).  48 fucking points.  myles turner played 16 minutes...

It was so rough. Had great seats first row of the 2nd level at mid court. And we just fucking sucked. My old CYO team could have beat Butler that day.

Lulz.  The local sports radio show is blasting him for the following post-game quote:

The turnovers, all year, some of the way we turn over the ball really mystifies me at times. But yeah, there’s no doubt, at the start of the game we had guys that were a little bit stage fright, I thought.

57 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

24-25 all time in the tourney.  That's actually pretty crazy considering that teams like Clemson, Texas, and TN should, generally, be going in as higher seeds with at least 1 win a given.

Its an amazing stat. 25 trips to the tourney. And 24 wins to show for it. He one of the best coaches around to build a program that is capable of getting to the tournament. Once in the tournament, he's probably the worst fucking coach I can think of with that large a sample size. Theres always excuses for why he didnt win one game or another. But after 25 trips you would think at least one of his teams would get hot and exceed expectations. Nope.

I'm not saying Shaka is the guy.  But I'm saying Barnes isn't the guy.  

Every year his teams jump out to a good start. Every year I find myself thinking, "maybe we should'a just kept him". Then every year I get a fun reminder like this.

Its an amazing stat. 25 trips to the tourney. And 24 wins to show for it. He one of the best coaches around to build a program that is capable of getting to the tournament. Once in the tournament, he's probably the worst fucking coach I can think of with that large a sample size. Theres always excuses for why he didnt win one game or another. But after 25 trips you would think at least one of his teams would get hot and exceed expectations. Nope.

Without looking, I’ll bet he got nearly half of those wins in the 4 year peak of his tenure at Texas

3 hours ago, Blotto said:

first things first: he is not a good tournament coach. period. so i don't want to have the typical hoard of people running into this thread foaming at the mouth and going off on me as if i'm not in here saying that Rick Barnes is a bad tourney coach. he is.

that said, his tourney record at Texas gets way overblown, particularly the 2007 team/loss to USC. that team was maybe his 6th best team at Texas, and them losing to that USC team in the second round is not nearly the unforgivable sin that it's been made out to be. the MOV for USC was the egregious part of that equation, not the round we lost in. anyone who insists that team should have gone to the EE or further is just spouting revisionist history. and btw Barnes lost KD, added Gary Johnson, and went to the EE the next year. 

at Texas, Barnes's best teams were also good tourney teams, and did not underachieve, or see him "waste all that talent". His 1 seed went to the FF and his 2 seeds both went to the EE. his 2006 team absolutely should have gone to the FF and the title game, but his players completely shit the bed vs LSU. not his fault. his other best team, the 2011 team, finished the regular season at #4 in kenpom, and not only was given a fucking four seed, but they were made to play Oakland (the basketball school) and a stacked Arizona team in the first two rounds. and then of course there's the four-second 5 second call that killed our season. that game and the LSU game are still total gut punches to this day. 

for the decade of the aughts Barnes was an awesome tourney coach. borderline top 5 if not in fact a top 5 tourney coach for a full ass decade. this fact is lost on pretty much everyone who follows this sport, and it's easily my biggest gripe, because again, i do not deny that he is *now* a bad tourney coach. still, Barnes took Texas to five S16's in a six year period, and the one year he failed to make it was when he lost PJ and LA halfway through the year. that's fucking *amazing* tourney success, especially at a football school. he went to 16 tourneys here and left Texas with a total of two legit "bad" tourney losses- the 2007 loss and a 6 vs 11 ass kicking by Temple. if the people who crush him as a tourney coach at Texas were forced to fact check his resume they would find themselves extremely flummoxed when viewing 2000-2010.

with all of that said, Barnes has been a bad tourney coach since that time, and he has particularly underachieved at Tennessee. his two best teams lost in the S16 (to a red hit Carsen Edwards led Purdue team) and in the round of 32 to the FF Loyola Chicago team. those were good teams that they lost to, but it's no excuse- Tennessee was favored, they were the better team(s), and they should have won. and then the way they got their asses kicked today by a hot-but-shitty Oregon State team speaks for itself. 

In summation: Rick Barnes is a bad tourney coach, but this wasn't always the case. he was pretty damned great for his first decade at Texas. it bothers me that this fact is not only not accepted, but outright refuted (incorrectly) by critics of Rick Barnes, and fans of CBB in general. I wish he was a better tourney coach, but he's not. and I suspect that the loss of his best assistants (Rob Lanier, Todd Wright, Ken McDonald, etc) plays a role in his tourney struggles. I feel bad for him. He's like the Marty Schottenheimer of college hoops. really good regular season coach who cannot get it done in the postseason. he's going to finish his career as top 20 all time coach in wins and then be elected to the HOF and all anyone will ever say or think about him is that he wastes more talent than anyone. that sucks. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

His 2006 team absolutely should have gone to the FF and the title game, but his players completely shit the bed vs LSU. not his fault. 

Using this logic, do you think there were any games where he shit the bed as a coach and his players bailed him out? I could argue his tourney success isn’t his “fault” either. 

11 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Rick Barnes was an above average coach that the game has passed by.

Actually I take that back, he was always a shitty coach who needed players who could essentially coach the game themselves to get anywhere. He couldn't out talent anyone when he had the best player in the country.

38 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Using this logic, do you think there were any games where he shit the bed as a coach and his players bailed him out? 

In the tourney? not really, no. besides which, the point there was that his best teams at Texas were still good in the tourney (with that team making the EE and all). the part about the team shitting the bed was just there to specify that it wasn't his shitty coaching that ended their tourney prematurely. 

83E1226C-8F13-48F3-9C73-FB44D3AC66B4.jpeg

On 3/16/2021 at 9:50 PM, shadow_operative said:

Tennessee might be the best example of a team that could just as easily lose in the first round as it could win an Elite 8 game. super bipolar offense, but really really good D. when their offense is rolling they can beat anyone save maybe the Zags. but for the entire second half of the season it's like the offense takes one game on and then one game off. way too inconsistent to ever bet on them one way or the other. 

What was that?  Their D dominated but their offense let them down and that’s all that’s holding them back?  What other pearls do you have to deliver to us in 20k or more words?  

1 minute ago, UT_OB1 said:

What was that?  Their D dominated but their offense let them down and that’s all that’s holding them back?  What other pearls do you have to deliver to us in 20k or more words?  

if there's a point somewhere in your post i'm not seeing it. you apparently have a bone to pick with my description of Tennessee as having a bipolar offense and a really good defense? would you care to expound, or be specific in any way? 

9 minutes ago, Red Five said:

The Tennessee fans comments are odd. What did you guys think you were getting? He’s actually done a lot better there than I thought he would.

their entitlement is astounding. you'd figure that going 57-15 in years 3 and 4 while turning a couple of fat 2* recruits into All Americans would buy him a year or two before they start claiming he sucks and calling for his head, but apparently not.  pretty extreme sense of entitlement from a football school that hasn't been good at football since the late 90's.

Edited by shadow_operative