Rick Barnes thread

Goo Punch

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

their entitlement is astounding. you'd figure that going 57-15 in years 3 and 4 while turning a couple of fat 2* recruits into All Americans would buy him a year or two before they start claiming he sucks and calling for his head, but apparently not.  pretty extreme sense of entitlement from a football school that hasn't been good at football since the late 90's.

Much like his later years at Texas, he’s embarrassed himself in the tourney and has accomplished nothing that actually matters, hence their frustration. I agree they are entitled though, I don’t see any coaches that would do much better than Rick is doing there. 

i mean, let's poll the Tennessee fans and see how many of them had Rick taking the team to the no.1 overall national ranking 3.5 years into his time there. it's now 1.5 years later and they're calling for his head. should they be pissed and upset at their tourney failures? of course. but it's hilarious that they think they deserve better, especially when considering the utter shambles the program was in when Barnes was hired. 

I don't get the hate for the Ricktator.

He definitely was unclutch as fuck at Texas between never winning the B12 tournament and only pulling one upset in the NCAA tournament but he certainly brought us levels of success we had never known.

I am glad he coaches elsewhere and I wish him luck but I certainly don't hate the dude.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

24-25 all time in the tourney.  That's actually pretty crazy considering that teams like Clemson, Texas, and TN should, generally, be going in as higher seeds with at least 1 win a given.

I wouldn't put Clemson in the category of the other 2. Outside of Rick's years there they haven't had much success in the tourney.  

Barnes is and has always been a better recruiter than a coach. Your only hope with him is that he accumulates enough overwhelming talent to overcome his obvious tournament deficiencies, because he’s not going to elevate anything from a coaching standpoint. And even if he does accumulate enough talent it’s still not a guarantee.

He’s not the worst coach in the world, but he almost never overachieves relative to his talent, there are no pleasant surprises with him, 1-11 vs higher seeded opponents. So there’s nothing to offset the occasional dud he delivers like yesterday. That’s a deeply unsatisfying experience as a fan.

Tennessee fans probably do misunderstand their place in the college basketball hierarchy (so do we), but I get wanting to be done with the Rick Barnes experience.

Barnes time here was done.  he was better than Penders.  unfortunately we regressed from good Rick Barnes and flatlined at not good Rick Barnes.  Its pretty difficult to get over the hump of being consistent sweet 16 chance which is where Barnes had us for about 10 years. 

Barnes had his shot but its all over now.

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

first things first: he is not a good tournament coach. period. 

again, i do not deny that he is *now* a bad tourney coach. still, Barnes took Texas to five S16's in a six year period, 

Looks like 5 S16 in a 7yr period and includes a 1st round exit in the 2005 tournament...

I agree with your first statement above (in bold)

That Texas-Temple matchup was a colossal seed screwup.  The 'horns should have been a 5 if not a 4 seed, and Temple probably should have been around a 7 or 8 seed.  6 vs 11 was terrible -- both teams faced a stronger 1st round opponent that was justifiable.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lonestar88 said:

Barnes is and has always been a better recruiter than a coach. Your only hope with him is that he accumulates enough overwhelming talent to overcome his obvious tournament deficiencies, because he’s not going to elevate anything from a coaching standpoint. And even if he does accumulate enough talent it’s still not a guarantee.

He’s not the worst coach in the world, but he almost never overachieves relative to his talent, there are no pleasant surprises with him, 1-11 vs higher seeded opponents. So there’s nothing to offset the occasional dud he delivers like yesterday. That’s a deeply unsatisfying experience as a fan.

Tennessee fans probably do misunderstand their place in the college basketball hierarchy (so do we), but I get wanting to be done with the Rick Barnes experience.

I don’t think you can say better recruiter than coach. He’s a damn good coach as shown with regular season successes and obviously great at player development when you see how far guys like Ivey and Stockdale and the like improved. 
but yeah- I think you can conclusively say not great pressure coach. I think he’s probably wound too tight for his (and his teams) own good. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That Texas-Temple matchup was a colossal seed screwup.  The 'horns should have been a 5 if not a 4 seed, and Temple probably should have been around a 7 or 8 seed.  6 vs 11 was terrible -- both teams faced a stronger 1st round opponent that was justifiable.

Yeah. It was horrible, just an utter buttfucking. 
the worst part of that was the early morning loss, basically ending my excitement for the tournament before it began. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I don’t think you can say better recruiter than coach. He’s a damn good coach as shown with regular season successes and obviously great at player development when you see how far guys like Ivey and Stockdale and the like improved. 
but yeah- I think you can conclusively say not great pressure coach. I think he’s probably wound too tight for his (and his teams) own good. 

tenor.gif

11 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

In the tourney? not really, no. besides which, the point there was that his best teams at Texas were still good in the tourney (with that team making the EE and all). the part about the team shitting the bed was just there to specify that it wasn't his shitty coaching that ended their tourney prematurely. 

83E1226C-8F13-48F3-9C73-FB44D3AC66B4.jpeg

This is a bit disingenuous. Barnes' teams had high offensive ratings because they crashed the offensive boards well which helped extend possessions and overcome poor shooting. That was his system. So saying "it was the players' fault" for shooting poorly when poor shooting was a feature of the system, not a bug, doesn't work. Texas had 14 offensive boards to 30 defensive boards for LSU. This is part of the design but LSU wasn't as easily beaten on the glass.

The design worked frequently, it also failed spectacularly sometimes. Like this game, for example. This was not just a player failure. What happened is they had a bad shooting day when they were up against a team they couldn't dominate on the boards to the extent they dominated Penn and West Virginia.

I don't hate him at all in fact I like him overall, but he was just never going to get over the hump at Texas

the issues I always thought he had was recruiting the one and done guys, but never getting enough of them at one time or simply not being able to keep even one of them for an extra year (when some other talent was coming in) to have a really killer team.....even some players that probably needed another year were out the door no matter what

he was trying to recruit every year like he was Duke or Kentucky of fab 5 Michigan, but it was fab one or maybe two

he should have taken a page from Bob Knight at some point and recruited to keep some guys 4 years or more and develop them and then try and mix in the fab one or two guys

I really do not cheer against him and I really feel a bit bad that this thread is what it is, but it is Tennessee so who cares, Rick gets paid so he is taken care of, and I am damn sure not looking for him to break out at Tennessee so everyone can point at Texas and talk about Texas should have kept him or Texas was the problem not Rick

just looking at his seasons again last night and fuck it was pretty much make the tournament and exit the tournament without a win especially in the later years.....that is just not a real accomplishment with the facilities and budget of Texas

Shit I was not happy with how Mack exited, but I don't hate him and I am glad to see him win, but I am not feeling too bad if UNC stays around 3rd in their ACC division until he retires.....I don't hate Charlie either I think he is a shit head coach and a bit of an oaf, but hey no one would have turned down the job and the money and he sucked and was fired......I wanted to like Tom, but he is just a stupid, hard headed, arrogant, asshole that did not learn a fucking thing and refused to even fucking try to

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

This is a bit disingenuous. Barnes' teams had high offensive ratings because they crashed the offensive boards well which helped extend possessions and overcome poor shooting. That was his system. So saying "it was the players' fault" for shooting poorly when poor shooting was a feature of the system, not a bug, doesn't work. Texas had 14 offensive boards to 30 defensive boards for LSU. This is part of the design but LSU wasn't as easily beaten on the glass.

The design worked frequently, it also failed spectacularly sometimes. Like this game, for example. This was not just a player failure. What happened is they had a bad shooting day when they were up against a team they couldn't dominate on the boards to the extent they dominated Penn and West Virginia.

That's fair. Still, a day where the entire team collectively shot like a freshman Javan Felix was somewhat out of Barnes's control. 

26 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

That's fair. Still, a day where the entire team collectively shot like a freshman Javan Felix was somewhat out of Barnes's control. 

That's true, but when thinking about how Barnes is struggling more now I think things like the shot clock resetting to 20 seconds instead of 30 on an offensive rebound the past 2-3 seasons have a negative impact on his overall strategy. He used to be able to reset the entire offense after a board, but now I wonder if the new rule causes his team's offensive efficiencies after an offensive board to go down, which will affect his teams more than most.

• 4 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, HookEm said:

He is a failure if this team doesn't at least make the Elite 8.

Maybe he'll leave next year and come be an assistant to Beard.

However he is getting the kids in, he can recruit.

(But I always felt that the higher rated the players, the worse Barnes did. He was best with very good players, not great players... Except for the Final Four team.)

There are easily 300 programs that would take Barnes over their current coach if there were no monetary consequences and it was just open season for hiring. He will put your program on the map. At the end of the day the measures of a good coach at the AD level are 1. Do your amount of tournament losses equal your years coaching minus 1-7 and 2. Do you have more tourney wins than losses? 

No coach goes to the tourney every year of their career and only 1 coach escapes the tourney without a loss each year. Barnes is probably a top 5% coach in the college ranks. He is fun to clown on though. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/20/2021 at 2:16 AM, Pimphand said:

I don't get the hate for the Ricktator.

He definitely was unclutch as fuck at Texas between never winning the B12 tournament and only pulling one upset in the NCAA tournament but he certainly brought us levels of success we had never known.

I am glad he coaches elsewhere and I wish him luck but I certainly don't hate the dude.

He also allegedly said fuck off when they said “fire your assistants if you want to keep your job”

23 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

He also allegedly said fuck off when they said “fire your assistants if you want to keep your job”

that's exactly what happened. Patterson told him to fire some assistants to leave, so he left.

and i obviously agree with the recent posts- the hatred for Barnes all of these years later makes zero sense. there's no TJ, DJ, LA, Final Four, five Sweet 16's in six years, two NPOY's, 30 win seasons, none of it without Barnes.  buncha derka's can't help themselves though. they whine if i mention Barnes anywhere else, but then they come in here over and over just to shit on this thread. right now our fans are crushing TTU fans for their reaction to Beard leaving, meanwhile the majority of our fans still actively hate Rick Barnes and hope that he fails at Tennessee, six full years after he's been gone, and despite everything he did for our program. it's pretty pathetic. 

Edited by shadow_operative

17 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

that's exactly what happened. Patterson told him to fire some assistants to leave, so he left.

and i obviously agree with the recent posts- the hatred for Barnes all of these years later makes zero sense. there's no TJ, DJ, LA, Final Four, five Sweet 16's in six years, two NPOY's, 30 win seasons, none of it without Barnes.  buncha derka's can't help themselves though. they whine if i mention Barnes anywhere else, but then they come in here over and over just to shit on this thread. right now our fans are crushing TTU fans for their reaction to Beard leaving, meanwhile the majority of our fans still actively hate Rick Barnes and hope that he fails at Tennessee, six full years after he's been gone, and despite everything he did for our program. it's pretty pathetic. 

So on that alone, I have respect for Rick.  As you can see just about all of our most recent coaches are very willing to throw their assistants under the bus.  One even kept Manny around  to use as amid season life preserver. I think a lot of the Rick haters were Shaka fan boys 

• Hook 'Em 1

Rick Barnes:

•success at George Mason, moves up to Providence

•success at Providence, moves up to Clemson

•success at Clemson, where he revolutionizes the sport by bringing in Todd Wright to specifically focus on basketball S&C. prior to this hoops teams were trained by the football S&C coach. moves up to Texas, a better job, but a job at a football school with no hoops history or support.

•MASSIVE, unprecedented success at Texas. puts the program permanently on the map. a top 5-7 CBB coach for the entire decade of the aughts. makes five S16's in a six year period; leads Texas to first modern FF; recruits two NPOY's; recruits countless HS AA's and sends tons of guys to the NBA; makes Texas a premier destination for HS recruits and CBB coaches alike; fails to live up to his own success and gets fired. takes a step down from Texas to join another football school with very little hoops history, Tennessee.

•MASSIVE success at Tennessee. takes over a program that has been mired in one scandal after another. he's hired as much for the fact that he runs a "clean" program as much as for his coaching ability. within two years he takes a bunch kids ranked 200, 250, 325 in their HS classes and turns them into All-Conference, All American, and NBA players. goes 57-15 (28-8) in years 3 and 4 with said unwanted, lowly rated, often overweight recruits. wins the SEC; leads Tennessee to no.1 overall ranking in the country where they stay for 5 weeks. has now turned Tennessee into a perennially ranked program that plays in the tourney every year. just signed his second consecutive top 10 national recruiting class at a football school that isn't even good at football. Is currently in the top 20 in all-time wins and will be elected to the HOF before all is said and done. 

I DUNNO JIM, SOUNDS LIKE A PRETTY FUCKING GOOD COACH TO ME. 

imagine this dude coming to your school, bringing with him unprecedented, virtually unimaginable success, success which has lasting effects going forward, permanently making your school a big name on the CBB scene, only to find your programs fans obsessively hating the man and rooting for him to fail after he leaves. six+ years after he's been gone, having done nothing but raised the bar for your program, and your fans root for him to fail years after he's gone. imagine that. what kind of completely self deluded children would even act that way? aggies? tech tards? nope. proud UT alumni. y'all should be embarrassed. i know you never will be, but you should be.

• Like 1

in fact, for the people who hate Barnes, root for him to fail, revel in his failures, and shit all over this thread- you guys deserved to endure the Shaka Smart era for the way you treat Barnes. and let's not even pretend for one second that any of you will hate Shaka or root for him to fail the way you do Barnes. that is some seriously stunted (see: retarded) thinking. but hey, keep convincing yourselves that it's you who is the mature one here. 

DAE6FB20-1354-4260-97CF-D3BAE12B2344.jpeg

That's pretty big news for the Vols. Fulkerson was pre-season All SEC but had a down year. if he can get back to the player he was before then that's a huge boost, particularly with his experience and how many young guys they're going to rely on next year. 

14 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Got damn, didn’t imagine all these years later Derka would still have Barnes cocked shoved so far down his throat it’s coming out of his ass. 

Forget it, he's all in.  Barnes, success at George Mason--second place--coached one year.  Fine.  Success at Providence--made the tournament 3 times and 4th in Big East after 5 years.  Clemson success-made sweet 16 once, tourney three times. So in 11 years, he's gone to one sweet 16, 3 NITs, 6 tourney entrances (5 first game losses).  Derka's got a low bar for success for some coaches and a higher bar for others.  Shaka wins CBI first year at VCU, 5 tourney entrances with 2 (technically 3) going to round of 32 and 1 to final four (in his second year.) And he did this in 6 years.  I guess those all were in spite of Shaka or their conference sucked--whatever, it's relative.  Shaka wasn't a good fit for Texas but was more successful at VCU.  It's relative since the talent is what remains from every other big school cherrypicking regionally.  And they still had to beat top teams with less talent once in the tournament.  Didn't do it prior, haven't done it since.  Shaka had two NBA first round players on those early teams--so technically he did develop talent or the other big schools in the region would have swiped them.   

When Barnes was done at Texas, he was done--has to be difficult selling all those ringless former NBA players. It's not like they were beating KU for the conference either.  What was the year they didn't make the NCAA, NIT and played in some bogus tourney where they still underperformed? I still wish they would have done more with Kevin Durant but that didn't happen.

The years that brought my interest back to Texas basketball was Penders, so please don't say Barnes put Texas on the map.  Barnes expanded on Penders success and created a more consistent team that went further than the guard driven teams prior.  But KU dominated the conference those years just as they do now.  Barnes was a good coach for Texas and helped further solidify them as a successful program. 

Barnes got a fresh start at Tennessee and anybody that thinks recruiting top players nationally that have to play AAU ball for rankings along with coaching at a traditionally cheating program in the SEC is clean is in la la land.  My take to that is so what, but don't use the word "clean" because it's not.  And of all the major conferences, SEC is the least, top to bottom.  Billie Donovan isn't at UF but Bama has improved.  Kentucky pulls talent but not always chemistry, and I still don't know what to make of Calipari.  Tennessee has a great avenue for success, contend for the conference championship and to make the NCAA Tournament every year in the SEC.  And stating that Barnes is putting their program on the map because they rose to #1 is stupid, especially this year, when OOC games were cancelled.  If they were #1, they sure bombed in the tournament.  

Having said all this, even though it's the same sport, I think it's still apples to oranges.  It's not a one size fit's all--coaches can excel at programs but not at others, unless you're Pitino.  Roy Williams couldn't win it all at KU, where they were a national power, but did multiple times at UNC, another national power.  Brad Stevens did well, Mark Few did well but neither has won it all, albeit Few has had significantly more talented teams.  Basketball is not an easy game to figure out or predict. Barnes was the better head coach for UT at UT and had better success at UT is true. Any other comparisons is just stupid--neither had a lot of conference success and Shaka has the same amount of final fours as Barnes, just with different teams.  And both haven't done squat with the talent they've squandered.  They're not Bobby Knight or Rick Pitino or Roy Williams, or Mark Few or Brad Stevens, etc.  Just fuck this argument.  

Cheers to Beard whooping both of their asses.  

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

in fact, for the people who hate Barnes, root for him to fail, revel in his failures, and shit all over this thread- you guys deserved to endure the Shaka Smart era for the way you treat Barnes. and let's not even pretend for one second that any of you will hate Shaka or root for him to fail the way you do Barnes. that is some seriously stunted (see: retarded) thinking. but hey, keep convincing yourselves that it's you who is the mature one here. 

It was a 17 year marriage. It's inevitable that some of the children will hate the spouse that is no longer around regardless of how irrational and baseless the hate is in the totality of the circumstances. You're in the position of the Uncle from the this side of the family that still hangs out with the Ricktator, so the irrational ire is aimed at you directly. I have vague memories of Abe, have blacked out Wetlich, loved the Runnin' Horns of Penders, and experienced the greatest moments of my life as a UT basketball fan with Barnes. He licked his lips too hard and ground down his teams into a self-doubting lump no matter the necessity, but his name belongs on a Ring of Honor in Moody. 

For some, it's psychologically necessary to shitpost on this thread and root for Barnes to fail. If he won a title, or even made a FF, with Tennessee it would be like seeing your absent parent having a more enjoyable life with their new family. You can even find earlier posts from me rooted in that same childlike behavior. It's a simple as that. The incompetent failure of the Shaka era, combined with Barnes taking the Tennessee program up a few notches, has just prolonged the bitter feelings. As soon as Beard gets Texas to the second weekend, the view of Barnes will begin to soften.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

If he won a title, or even made a FF, with Tennessee it would be like seeing your absent parent having a more enjoyable life with their new family. 

I had to delete a lot of words to LOL at this part.  This is exactly why few of us - besides Derka - were not sad to see him gone and exactly why we continue to give Derka hell about his crush.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I had to delete a lot of words to LOL at this part.  This is exactly why few of us - besides Derka - were not sad to see him gone and exactly why we continue to give Derka hell about his crush.

"my crush". right. he's "my crush" because i keep up with our former coach, a man i once knew, a man who is my mentor's best friend, and the man who had the most successful run with the program that i grew up in/love the most. i watch his games when i can, and post rather sparingly in the thread that is dedicated to him. i speak objectively about him, and keep my takes on him based on nothing but facts and stats, as opposed to letting my emotions run the show.

conversely, you guys post in here based on nothing but this odd, misplaced, jilted ex-girlfriend style emotion, and yet you somehow project it onto me. you guys obsess over this man, going out of your way to root against him, posting about him tengentially in unrelated threads, and then making up a bunch of farcical narratives about me claiming he's some sort all time amazing greatest coach ever demigod, when in reality i never do anything approaching this. the collective lack of self awareness is alarming, and annoying. you guys make me look mature and stable. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

"my crush". right. he's "my crush" because i keep up with our former coach, a man i once knew, a man who is my mentor's best friend, and the man who had the most successful run with the program that i grew up in/love the most. i watch his games when i can, and post rather sparingly in the thread that is dedicated to him. i speak objectively about him, and keep my takes on him based on nothing but facts and stats, as opposed to letting my emotions run the show.

conversely, you guys post in here based on nothing but this odd, misplaced, jilted ex-girlfriend style emotion, and yet you somehow project it onto me. you guys obsess over this man, going out of your way to root against him, posting about him tengentially in unrelated threads, and then making up a bunch of farcical narratives about me claiming he's some sort all time amazing greatest coach ever demigod, when in reality i never do anything approaching this. the collective lack of self awareness is alarming, and annoying. you guys make me look mature and stable. 

The bolded parts are falsehoods.

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Maybe it's the Friday night wine in me, but I've read this several times and still not sure what point you're trying to make.

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

All of this is 100% true but why take the bait?  Let it go. Ignore and move on.  Their opinions are like cows. It’s a mooo point. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Maybe it's the Friday night wine in me, but I've read this several times and still not sure what point you're trying to make.

Erase the not between were and sad and it makes sense. He’s sayin g he never went far enough in the tournament so that’s why so few were sad to see him go. 

25 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I don’t think it actually went down that way (and I heard that story) but if true that’s a plus not a minus to my way of thinking. 

Patterson May have asked just to make Rick feel like it wasn’t performance related.  If Rick walked instead of fire his coaches then I admire that.  The anti Mack

• Hook 'Em 1

I just don't get it. Rick was done here. He did some good things, but his window of opportunity to take us any further had closed. 

Thanks, Rick, but it was time to move on. 

Charlie Strong was awful, but it didn't make me long for Mack Brown, because it was obvious the Mack that won a title was never walking back through that door. 

Keep pushing forward. Stop looking back. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Deej said:

I just don't get it. Rick was done here. He did some good things, but his window of opportunity to take us any further had closed. 

Thanks, Rick, but it was time to move on. 

Charlie Strong was awful, but it didn't make me long for Mack Brown, because it was obvious the Mack that won a title was never walking back through that door. 

Keep pushing forward. Stop looking back. 

Mf'n this. We're glad Rick showed us the potential for a program but by no means did he hit the ceiling. We treated him very well and protected his privacy when he fucked around. Shaka was a disaster on a number of levels. Now Beard gets his opportunity, let's go.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

It was the Dos Equis in me that wrote a nonsensical sentence.  I'm now typing on wine, but I think I was trying to say that the original points stated by @Mdhorn were valid, but the idea that we'd be jealous of RB taking the Vols to the Final 4 or a championship was laughable because that's why he was shown the door in the 1st place.  Damn.  Typing while drinking is hard.  I.e. Barnes - with all his recruiting success, team building, and NBA pipeline glory - has made exactly one Final Four, so many of us are not worried about that occurring at TN.  Or something like that.  

Basically, I was just fucking with Derka.  I owe him for all the times he mistook me for a Vol fan.