Rick Barnes thread

Goo Punch

Interesting read... "Why was Rick Barnes fired at Texas? How former Longhorns coach came to Tennessee basketball"

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/mens-basketball/2024/03/23/rick-barnes-fired-texas-tennessee-basketball-march-madness-vols-record/73069697007/

From article:

Why was Rick Barnes fired from Texas?

In short — and this speaks more true to today's college athletics landscape — Barnes' firing at Texas came down to winning.

Barnes, who came to Texas following four seasons at Clemson, led the Longhorns to the NCAA tournament on 16 different occasions and three Big 12 regular-season titles. He became the program's all-time winningest coach and brought the Longhorns to the school's first Final Four in over 50 years in 2003, his fifth season at the helm.

Despite all that, one thing was missing: consistent postseason success. And when you coach at a program like Texas, where you have the expectations to win not only on the court but also in recruiting with 5-star recruits and have all the resources to win, that becomes the top priority. Barnes had not won the Big 12 tournament title nor led the Longhorns past the Elite Eight after that 2003 season.

It looked like Barnes would return to the Longhorns sidelines after Texas lost to Butler in the first round of the 2015 NCAA Tournament. Barnes said in his farewell news conference that he was told that by then-Texas athletic director Steve Patterson, but things changed.

There were reports, which Barnes confirmed at that news conference, that he could have held onto his job if he fired his entire coaching staff, but Barnes didn't do that.

"I couldn't do that. That would be me saying this is about me," Barnes said. "I've been carried by a lot of people here. We're in this together."

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

tennessee vs creighton looks like the best matchup of the S16 to this point.

iowa state/illinois should be fantastic as well.  think purdue/gonzaga would be really good too if it happens.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

watch this and tell me you aren’t rooting for Tennessee tomorrow.

I haven't watched it. I will though.

But I'm not rooting for Tennessee. I think the world of Barnes. I still want him to lose.

• Haha 1

I root for those who I believe do it the "right" way and deserve good things. Barnes deserves at least one more FF on the resume and I will root for him to get it. I won't root for a future conference opponent to win it all, but a loss in the title game would be just fine and a career high for the man.

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Hope he gets No.10 this afternoon.

If they will let them play we can beat Purdue. I don’t know how much you’ve watched of Purdue but their big guy gets a lot of calls. Purdue coach yesterday was already planting the seeds. 

5 hours ago, Clintonaldo said:

If they will let them play we can beat Purdue. I don’t know how much you’ve watched of Purdue but their big guy gets a lot of calls. Purdue coach yesterday was already planting the seeds. 

Also they beat us by 4 to start the year and they shot 48 free throws. 

Just my opinion:  Not a good late stretch offensively for Tennessee... too much get the ball to Knecht and let him jack it up.  Wish vols would have been more patient and worked to get to the foul line more down the stretch.  Sucks that Purdue won today.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

the university of Texas hasn’t had a coach who was truly beloved by his players since rick barnes, and that’s something that i really miss about him.

The players seem to love Rodney Terry as well, oh the most familiar Horn basketball player of all-time seems fond of him too. Rick was a good coach, like I mentioned earlier both parties needed fresh starts. Rick rebooted his career and who knows what the future holds for Texas. With several portal additions and the incoming class Texas could very well make some noise next season, especially downgrading competition.

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2024/03/26/dylan-disu-says-rodney-terry-saved-basketball-for-him/

Edited by Chad
  • Hook 'Em 1

Barnes is a good coach that's probably undervalued by some but just seems like he has a ceiling in March due to offensive deficiencies on all his teams. 

I was starting to wonder if this might be the team for Barnes to do something special with a player like Knecht who can often bail you out on the offensive end. 

Posted (edited)

it’s not a diss on rodney terry to talk about the special love that barnes’s players had for their coach who was here for 16 years in an era where you recruited guys at 16, signed them at 18, and stayed with them until 21-22.

as was posted in S16 thread only one of our top 6 players this year started his career at Texas. that’s not the same for tennessee who had 4/5 starters recruited by barnes and in the program for 4-5 years, just like he did at Texas. that’s what i’m talking about. that kind of love. the kind of love that takes place when you’re with a guy from boyhood through his transition into manhood. we haven’t had that here since barnes was here, that’s just a fact.

maybe RT will be here long enough for that to be the case with him, but until then, rick barnes remains a one-of-a-kind coach in the annals of UT Hoops history, and i miss the continuity of his program, as well as the family feeling that we had for the majority of his career here.

Edited by shadow_operative

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

it’s not a diss on rodney terry to talk about the special love that barnes’s players had for their coach who was here for 16 years in an era where you recruited guys at 16, signed them at 18, and stayed with them until 21-22.

as was posted in S16 thread only one of our top 6 players this year started his career at Texas. that’s not the same for tennessee who had 4/5 starters recruited by barnes and in the program for 4-5 years, just like he did at Texas. that’s what i’m talking about. that kind of love. the kind of love that takes place when you’re with a guy from boyhood through his transition into manhood. we haven’t had that here since barnes was here, that’s just a fact.

maybe RT will be here long enough for that to be the case with him, but until then, rick barnes remains a one-of-a-kind coach in the annals of UT Hoops history, and i miss the continuity of his program, as well as the family feeling that we had for the majority of his career here.

who else besides Knecht is gone this year? Rick will be 70 at the start of next season, and he's definitely old school and into the program/family aspect. Wouldnt surprise me if he hangs it up soon a la Saban. I think a few of his key guys are back, but I'm wondering if next season will be it?

8 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

rick has previously expressed that he plans to continue coaching into the foreseeable future.

as for who all the vols lose they lose a lot: JJJ, Zeigler, and Knecht. the transfer portal will once again be a huge factor in how competitive tennessee is next year.

Pretty sure Zeigler can come back (I wandered over to a Tenn board after my post https://www.volnation.com/forum/threads/who-is-on-the-team-next-year.362803/). I guess my comment on Barnes retirement is based on the sport itself changing rapidly. Saban was telling everyone he was good through 2030, and lasted about a year. If Barnes cant keep that same type of continuity, I could just see him saying fuck it. If the over/under was 2.5 seasons, I'd probably take the under. 

barnes is definitely one of the last if a dying breed, along with the likes of izzo and sampson. i think the key for all three of them is recruiting the exactly type of player who thrives for them, namely your more raw/athletic types which enough skill to grow on. if he can keep bringing in 3-4-5 year players who fit his program dna tjen i can see him sticking around another 5-7 years.

Rick's last shot at returning to Final Four sure seemed like this year's team.  Sucks that they had to play Purdue in their "Elite 8" matchup.

It's crazy to think Texas was also just in "Elite 8" last season... both programs may really struggle getting to another Sweet 16 anytime soon.

Damn 😒

• Hook 'Em 1