Rick Barnes thread

Goo Punch

12 minutes ago, Blotto said:

That is a bizarrely stupid comment from Barnes. It may be true, but some shit you keep to yourself.

Now this I agree with. I've often lauded him for his straightforward, hold-no-punches attitude, but this didn't need to be said. Now let's be honest- nobody should be surprised that he felt that way- he got a better offer from an actual basketball school where the sport doesn't take a giant backseat to football, and of course he would have taken the job had they covered the buyout. Only a fool would think otherwise. But he didn't need to acknowledge that out loud.

And yet with all of that being said many Vols fans don't have any room to act pissy now with the way they've treated him since his hiring. "Oh we thought he was a V4L but now it's clearly all about the money". Right. A week ago they wanted him out the door for no discernible reason, but now it's his loyalty that's being questioned. This'll be an interesting relationship going forward.

Edited by Goo Punch

4 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

He has one good recruit coming in and no bench. He most likely won’t make the tournament. 

I give Barnes a fair amount of grief, but I will never be surprised by ANY of his teams making the dance. His MO is fielding teams that are competitive enough that they find themselves on the list of 68. 

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

It's going to be interesting when he loses 10+ games next year and either squeeks in or misses the tourney.

I just continue to be fascinated by y'all's collective attitude towards the man who turned your program around. No shit they're not gonna be great next year. Losing a couple of All Americans and a Cousey Award finalist will do that. Don't let that stop you from holding it against him months before it even happens.

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

I give Barnes a fair amount of grief, but I will never be surprised by ANY of his teams making the dance. His MO is fielding teams that are competitive enough that they find themselves on the list of 68. 

Here's what will happen: he will get them to play above their talent, to be greater than the sum of their parts, they'll finish 4th or 5th in the SEC, win 20 games, lose an 8/9 game or win one and then get crushed by a 1 seed, and everyone will call that season a failure and talk about what a terrible tourney coach he is. 

3 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

I just continue to be fascinated by y'all's collective attitude towards the man who turned your program around. No shit they're not gonna be great next year. Losing a couple of All Americans and a Cousey Award finalist will do that. Don't let that stop you from holding it against him months before it even happens.

I'm guessing another early flame out from Barnes dampened their spirits. 

Imagine if everything about this scenario were exactly the same, but instead of Tennessee it was A&M, and instead of Rick Barnes it was literally anyone else.

He takes over a program that's *awful*, as in "13th or 14th best team in the SEC" awful, that's also been in constant trouble with the NCAA because of its previous HCs. Four years in and here's what he's done:

•gone 4-0 against UK at home 

•turned a bunch of 2* and low 3* recruits into All Americans, All Conference players, Award winners, award finalists, and early entry draft guys

•went 31-35 in years one and two, then 57-15 in years three and four including winning the SEC and finishing a game back of winning it a second time, as well as taking the Vols to two straight sec tourney finals 

•led Tennessee to a #1 national ranking for the second time ever, kept them there for a school record four consecutive weeks, all while winning 19 games in a row

•was named SEC Coach of the Year in 2018

•finished runner up for National Coach of the Year last year

•was named National Coach of the Year this year 

all of that happened, and yet not only do Tennessee fans not care or appreciate or enjoy any of it, they appear to actually resent the success because it means that a)their opinion on Barnes is wrong, and b)they are stuck with a coach who has made their program relevant and who wins a lot but who they don't personally like. wow.

replace Tennessee with A&M and and Barnes with Buzz, and imagine a bunch of aggie fans on the internet basically begging for him to leave for the UCLA job just so that they could immediately go back to total irrelevancy. Every poster here would be like, "you backwoods yokel bunch of retards deserve to lose that coach and fade into oblivion. You couldn't have asked for more success at a school that doesn't even care about the sport and all you want to do is get rid of him."

But it is Barnes, so here we are. 

• Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

I continue to be fascinated by the fact that you continue to label me a Vol fan.  My wife is a TN alum; I'm a TX alum.  I could give two shits about what Barnes or Mack Brown does at this point because they are no longer associated with my school.

16 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

And Derka will lick his asshole regardless of his record.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn't surprise me that you believe that I'm the juvenile one between the two of us. Lines up with the way you view the world. Ass backwards. 

After coaching the Vols to a share of the SEC regular-season championship and the eighth Sweet 16 appearance in program history, Barnes was named the Naismith Coach of the Year. The Vols have now earned a No. 2 and No. 3 seed in the last two NCAA Tournaments.

“I have said before, I have got faith in the God that I serve and the God that I love. I believe He is sovereign. I believe He made it very clear through the many people that were praying for us during this time that I am supposed to be at Tennessee. It is beyond this basketball program. I am in love with this community. I am in love with this state. I think we have got a lot of the great things going on in this town and I want to continue to be part of making Knoxville one of the greatest places to live.”

You'd have to be just about the biggest dumbass in the entire world to be a Tennessee fan or alum and hate this guy. 

"fake godliness"? uh, have any of you guys paid attention to the man at all during any point in the last decade+? this is who Rick Barnes is and has been for some time. It's been talked about here and on shaggy at some length. it's widely known that he turned religious and then changed his entire demeanor/behavior/approach to coaching and life, and he's been committed to it this entire time. he's certainly not faking it, and he's certainly not the first person to pray on something, but yeah, let's single him out for that as if that's unique to him or something.  it then i again i guess there isn't anything he does that *doesnt* upset most of you, so pat for the course. 

10 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Lol that's the biggest line of horse shit I've ever read. You actually believe every word of that? I feel sorry for you.

you feel sorry for me for believing that a religious person is religious? okie dokie.

am i the only one on this entire site who lives in the southern US are all of you posting from Russia? it's as if this is all of your first time to encounter a christian. 

On 4/21/2019 at 2:58 PM, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, fake godliness actually makes it much easier to dislike someone.

This is why I want his fake ass gone and he will be in about 2 years. Fuck that puff piece article as it was put out as damage control. I can’t wait for him to leave and take his freak show Goo with him. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

This is why I want his fake ass gone and he will be in about 2 years. Fuck that puff piece article as it was put out as damage control. I can’t wait for him to leave and take his freak show Goo with him. 

annnd you're lying. you've been hating on him his entire tenure without ever once mentioning anything to do with his faith. don't all of sudden  start claiming that's why you don't like him. just own that you've never liked him, never wanted him, and that you refuse to enjoy any success that he brings to your program because of that, plain and simple. just keep it real- because you're actually the one who is being fake now.

in fact i would say that you've been the one faking it this entire time, but you're finally now letting the hate flow out of you like you've always wanted. good for you. baby steps. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

Derka couldn’t even wait 1 minute to neg me. So sad. 

yeah, that's what's sad. negging a guy who just talked ad hominem shit about me = sad, but you, a supposed Tennessee alum actively hating the HC who took your program from a shitty program that couldn't stop cheating to a really good and clean program = what? healthy? normal? not sad? i don't think so.

also you negged my post before i'd even finished editing it, so you really shouldn't go around calling that exact behavior "sad", unless this is all some sort of cry for help from you.

Edited by Goo Punch

On 4/16/2019 at 3:12 PM, PilotsError said:

If it were any other coach, Texas fans wouldn't know his name or give a shit how the fans react to him.

oh you mean the same Texas fans who have dedicated countless threads and literally hundreds of thousands of posts in the last few years alone to Texas A&M (the very school i'm talking about) and their athletics/coaching comings and goings? right. those Texas fans neeeever worry about what's going on at A&M, or with Jimbo, or Liucci, or Manziel, or Rumlin, or any of that stuff. Yeah, dynamite call there.

Edited by Goo Punch

On 4/21/2019 at 10:11 PM, Goo Punch said:

you feel sorry for me for believing that a religious person is religious? okie dokie.

am i the only one on this entire site who lives in the southern US are all of you posting from Russia? it's as if this is all of your first time to encounter a christian. 

You're the kind of person that gives money to megachurches.

• Haha 1

"fake godliness"? uh, have any of you guys paid attention to the man at all during any point in the last decade+? this is who Rick Barnes is and has been for some time. It's been talked about here and on shaggy at some length. it's widely known that he turned religious and then changed his entire demeanor/behavior/approach to coaching and life, and he's been committed to it this entire time. he's certainly not faking it, and he's certainly not the first person to pray on something, but yeah, let's single him out for that as if that's unique to him or something.  it then i again i guess there isn't anything he does that *doesnt* upset most of you, so pat for the course. 
Lying that his decision to stay at Tennessee was due to God is fake godliness and 100% BS. Everyone knows it.

The argument that a guy is actually religious so he'd never insert God as an explanation for his financial decisions isn't persuasive at all. Religious people do that constantly to make themselves look and feel better.

9 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Lying that his decision to stay at Tennessee was due to God is fake godliness and 100% BS. Everyone knows it.

The argument that a guy is actually religious so he'd never insert God as an explanation for his financial decisions isn't persuasive at all. Religious people do that constantly to make themselves look and feel better.

saying he prayed on it = lying about god? i seriously have no clue what you're talking about. what did he say that was a lie?

he said that if ucla has paid his buyout he would have taken the job. they didn't, so he had a decision to make, and he says he prayed on it and ultimately chose to stay. what am i missing?

Edited by Goo Punch

57 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

You're the kind of person that gives money to megachurches.

yeah that's me. awesome conversing with you, as always. the next thing you say that adds anything to a conversation will be a first.

Edited by Goo Punch

50 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

As someone who goes to a large church I don’t want to laugh at this but it’s funny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

of course you go to church. the most miserable, contemptable, judgmental people i know are christians, so this makes a lot of sense.

Edited by Goo Punch

23 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

yeah that's me. awesome conversing with you, as always. the next thing you say that adds anything to a conversation will be a first.

Dude, diving headfirst into the "I believe this" pond when a public figure tells you they prayed on something involving millions of dollars earns you infinite gullibility points. Grow up.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Dude, diving headfirst into the "I believe this" pond when a public figure tells you they prayed on something involving millions of dollars earns you infinite gullibility points. Grow up.

•UCLA, a better gig and an actual basketball school, gives Rick Barnes a lucrative job offer which he is prepared to take

•Then Tennessee rallies the troops, and offers him a raise package of their own

•Rick Barnes, a known devout Christian, takes a day to think it over, including praying, and T the end of 24 hours decides to stay at Tennessee

where the fuck is the scandal? how is this different from any other situation if it's kind? and where do you come off throwing around the term "millions of dollars" when you have absolutely zero clue what the numbers are from either side? i know that you haven't even been following any of this so i'm certain that you're unaware that UCLA had offered Barnes a $5m/yr base salary. Are you telling me that Tennessee is giving him more? Millions more? Do you have the figures in front of you? no? you actually have no clue what you're talking about at all? oh ok then. and i'm the one who needs to grow up. that's rich. 

btw, a guy who spends day after day acting like a 13 year old jerk-off in every single post he makes telling someone else to grow up is pretty stupid. as is arguing about something you haven't even been following as if you know what you're talking about. next.

Edited by Goo Punch

22 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

•UCLA, a better gig and an actual basketball school, gives Rick Barnes a lucrative job offer which he is prepared to take

•Then Tennessee rallies the troops, and offers him a raise package of their own

•Rick Barnes, a known devout Christian, takes a day to think it over, including praying, and T the end of 24 hours decides to stay at Tennessee

where the fuck is the scandal? how is this different from any other situation if it's kind? and where do you come off throwing around the term "millions of dollars" when you have absolutely zero clue what the numbers are from either side? i know you haven't been following any of this so i'm certain that you're unaware that UCLA was prepared to offer him a $5m/yr base salary. Are you telling me that Tennessee is giving him more? Do you have the figures in front of you? no? and i'm the one who needs to grow up. that's rich. 

btw, a guy who spends day after day acting like a 13 jerk-off in every single post he makes telling someone else to grow up is pretty stupid. as is arguing about something you haven't even been following as if you know what you're talking about. next.

Who said anything about a fucking scandal? Are you insane? Wait, don't answer that.

If you didn't treat Rick Barnes like your favorite uncle you would see what everyone else saw which is simply a guy leveraging a new job offer (which everyone with half a fucking brain knew he didn't want) into a raise at his current position (which he wants) like any smart person would do. If you replace the words "takes a day to think it over, including praying" with "tells his agent to reach out to UCLA to leverage him a better deal at Tennessee and then sits back and watches the show" then you're closer to the truth. Even if he is a devout Christian (I'm sure he is), the prayer bullshit is just there to please the bumpkins in Tennessee whom it seems you'd fit in well with.

When I mention this involving millions of dollars, yes I am fucking aware that UCLA was willing to offer him $5m/year. However, since his contract at Tennessee also involves millions of dollars (including a fresh million dollar raise), I'm not sure how what I said was inaccurate.

Oh and btw, UCLA is not a better gig, and the only people that still believe that are the retards that run their athletic department and rubes like you. Their coaching search should have told you all you needed to know about how that job is viewed by people who are not UCLA fans and/or those with triple digit IQs.

Lmao if you think I'm going to back down from your bullshit. Get the fuck out of my face, kid.

Edited by Brian Fantana
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Was Barnes really tapping UT co-ed ass while he was coaching here? I've seen at least one reference to this in this thread although I haven't read every page.

Back in the early or mid 2000s, my ex-wife reconnected with one of her childhood friends who had attended the same church when they were kids. The friend told my ex that she was fucking Barnes but had to keep it on the down low. That woman was going to UT and would've been in her late teens or early 20s at the time. My ex-wife lied about a lotta shit, but she didn't even know who Barnes was when she told me the story back then so I always suspected there might've been some truth to it. I never really gave a shit, but all this "Rick Barnes is a devout Christian man" talk got me thinking about it again.

Anybody subscribe to The Athletic??

Per Finebaum, in article below it is disclosed that Barnes reached out to UCLA about the job...... Barnes had agreed in principle to accept the job..... and UCLA was even scheduling a news conference during the Final 4 to announce Barnes hiring at UCLA.....

Here's link: 

https://theathletic.com/937270/2019/04/22/the-inside-story-on-how-mick-cronin-got-to-ucla-and-where-he-goes-from-here/

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't mind Rick Barnes praying to God that the other UT would give him the raise he was angling for.

I do mind him peppering his language with "have got", though.  Come on, man.  Act like you actually went to class at Lenoir-Rhyne.

Lenoir-Rhyne was lucky to have him. What is wrong  with you dude!

Edited by Clintonaldo