Rick Barnes thread

Goo Punch

also:

*your

and

*any way

seriously, please tell me that you're a sophomore at an underfunded public high school. your entire demeanor and posting style scream "i'm a teen who can't handle all of these hormones and i need attention!" 

if that's not the case, and you're actually an adult, then feel free to expound on your " Rick Barnes shitty coaching" take, and explain to us in detail exactly what it is that you've seen in Rick Barnes this year that has caused the downfall of the mighty  2020-21 Tennessee Volunteers. whenever you feel like it.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Fuck You 1

oh, and just in case either of you highly regarded trolls wants to respond to me and keep this foolishness going, here is my response to both of you:

your participation here is just sad. you don't actually watch Tennessee (or from what i can tell college hoops in general), you don't know a thing about the program, the players, the expectations, their season, none of it. you don't actually follow the program and then earnestly post here- instead you just pop up intermittently to talk shit, with zero desire to be civil or to actually discuss anything. you don't have a clue about this team or its players and performance. you just want to pick an internet fight with someone because you're childish, or you're hurt inside, or because i argued with you 7 years ago, or all of the above.

the fact that the irony is lost on you- that you guys hate and obsess about "Derka" because of the way he acts, all the while comporting yourselves in the most juvenile, combative, and uneducated manner- is just sad. your posts are peak Derka, and you're the only ones who don't see it. 

• Fuck You 1

Poor Derka. Do you want a tissue?

I did not respond to a post of yours or quote you or address you. I simply said it looks like Rick is doing his usual choke job. That was a general statement that had nothing to do with you.

To call me a "retarded troll" (retarded? seriously? you still use that as an insult? did you want to throw a "gay" in there too?) for a post that had nothing to do with you is "something." i'll be nice and leave it at that.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

he was one of the best tourney coaches in the country for an entire decade.......

of course, attempting to talk facts with someone like you is an exercise in futility.

There is literally factual statistical evidence that Barnes is one of the worst tournament coaches. I watched it with my own eyes as well.

Using "attempting to talk facts with someone like you is an exercise in futility." as an insult when you constantly ignore empirical facts is pretty ironic there, bud.

But again, nothing in my post that triggered you was directed at you or had anything to do with you.

Edited by MotownHorn

9 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

Poor Derka. Do you want a tissue?

I did not respond to a post of yours or quote you or address you. I simply said it looks like Rick is doing his usual choke job. That was a general statement that had nothing to do with you.

To call me a "retarded troll" (retarded? seriously? you still use that as an insult? did you want to throw a "gay" in there too?) for a post that had nothing to do with you is "something." i'll be nice and leave it at that.

I think he did use "gay" in one of his above rants. I don't have a day and a half to read back through all of them to find it

Fulkerson out with a facial fracture; Pons (offensively challenged) with only 7 points; Keon was great 1H, but absent 2H; and Springer has been quiet. if this team had another year together they d be pretty damn awesome. as it stands, they should be thrilled with a trip to the S16, but definitely disappointed if they don't win at least one. 

1 hour ago, MotownHorn said:

Who else has Oregon State all day every day this week?

I could see the game going either way, and lean towards Barnes winning as he usually meets his seeding expectations. But 7.5 pts seems like way too many for Tenn to be laying. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Tennessee might be the best example of a team that could just as easily lose in the first round as it could win an Elite 8 game. super bipolar offense, but really really good D. when their offense is rolling they can beat anyone save maybe the Zags. but for the entire second half of the season it's like the offense takes one game on and then one game off. way too inconsistent to ever bet on them one way or the other. 

Tennessee might be the best example of a team that could just as easily lose in the first round as it could win an Elite 8 game. super bipolar offense, but really really good D. when their offense is rolling they can beat anyone save maybe the Zags. but for the entire second half of the season it's like the offense takes one game on and then one game off. way too inconsistent to ever bet on them one way or the other. 
THE ARISTOCRATS!!

2 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

Rick.....50 spots below a Shaka offense in Adjusted O. Yikes

well i would hope that Shaka's best team ever (SL: three guards who've been here a combined 12 years plus two potential lottery picks) managed to be better than Rick's third best team (SL: two teenagers and a sophomore at guard plus two offensively challenged fourth/fifth year seniors).

of course even with a clearly inferior roster and a bad offense Tennessee still finished five spots ahead of Texas in KenPom, finishing two spots ahead of where the Vols started the year, as opposed to Texas who started the year at #9 and ended it #26. but great post! 

Projection: Texas being ranked #9 to start the year in KenPom was a projection of the computers thought Texas would fare this year.

and

Projection: accusing others of being obsessed with Rick Barnes, despite you being the only actual person here to constantly interject Barnes's name into random other threads/constantly running to this thread to make ad hominem attacks on him. 

22 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

well i would hope that Shaka's best team ever (SL: three guards who've been here a combined 12 years plus two potential lottery picks) managed to be better than Rick's third best team (SL: two teenagers and a sophomore at guard plus two offensively challenged fourth/fifth year seniors).

of course even with a clearly inferior roster and a bad offense Tennessee still finished five spots ahead of Texas in KenPom, finishing two spots ahead of where the Vols started the year, as opposed to Texas who started the year at #9 and ended it #26. but great post! 

Or another way to put it:

Preseason Rankings

AP:  Tenn 12 , Texas 19

Coaches: Tenn 14, Texas 22

Current Rankings:

AP: Texas 9, Tenn (unranked)

Coaches: Texas 9, Tenn (unranked)

Texas - (SL: A teenager and a sophomore big, plus three offensively challenged fourth/fifth year senior guards) vs Tenn (Two Bigs who've been there 9 plus years plus three potential lottery pick guards. )

It's kind of a disingenuous comparison, and your bias is clearly showing. Using computer preseason rankings (KenPom or otherwise) as any kind of a legitimate metric is just straight garbage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Preseason Rankings

Current Rankings:

Texas - (SL: A teenager and a sophomore big, plus three offensively challenged fourth/fifth year senior guards) vs Tenn (Two Bigs who've been there 9 plus years plus three potential lottery pick guards. )

It's kind of a disingenuous comparison, and your bias is clearly showing. Using computer preseason rankings (KenPom or otherwise) as any kind of a legitimate metric is just straight garbage.

Texas 3 seed

Tennessee 5 seed

23 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Projection: Texas being ranked #9 to start the year in KenPom was a projection of the computers thought Texas would fare this year.

and

Projection: accusing others of being obsessed with Rick Barnes, despite you being the only actual person here to constantly interject Barnes's name into random other threads/constantly running to this thread to make ad hominem attacks on him. 

How many times was Barnes projected to win the Big XII preseason?

1 hour ago, Hornlover said:

Preseason Rankings

Current Rankings:

LMAO. i gotta say, this is a new one. quoting the *human polls* as legitimate while shitting on the computer rankings as garbage. that is fucking hilarious. 

and if you actually want to make the case that Tennessee has a better roster than Texas then by all means please do so. hopefully i will have stopped laughing at that point and can read what you have to say. 

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

LMAO. i gotta say, this is a new one. quoting the *human polls* from the preseason as legitimate while shitting on the computer rankings as garbage. that is ducking hilarious. and if you actually want to make the case that Tennessee has a better roster than Texas then by all means please do so. hopefully i will have stopped laughing at that point and can read what you have to say. 

The computers look at data from the games. Humans look at the teams and make a guess. Since there are 0 games for the computers to look at, it makes their preseason predictions pretty worthless. The humans are pretty terrible due to bias and an inability to properly evaluate 100+ teams, but that doesn't make the preseason KenPom predictions worthy of anything.

As far as the roster comparisons, I haven't watched 1 second of Tennessee this year. I know nothing about their roster.

I was just pointing out how you touted Texas' players having positive traits - describing them as young and talented or old and experienced, while shifting those same attributes on the Vols' players but with a negative outlook, bemoaning the young as inexperienced and the old as lacking in talent.

It really was a masterful propaganda piece.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Hornlover said:

The computers look at data from the games. Humans look at the teams and make a guess. Since there are 0 games for the computers to look at, it makes their preseason predictions pretty worthless. The humans are pretty terrible due to bias and an inability to properly evaluate 100+ teams, but that doesn't make the preseason KenPom predictions worthy of anything.

As far as the roster comparisons, I haven't watched 1 second of Tennessee this year. I know nothing about their roster.

I was just pointing out how you touted Texas' players having positive traits - describing them as young and talented or old and experienced, while shifting those same attributes on the Vols' players but with a negative outlook, bemoaning the young as inexperienced and the old as lacking in talent.

It really was a masterful propaganda piece.

"a masterful propaganda piece" he says, one breath after admitting that he actually has no clue what he's talking about. one post after touting the human polls and shitting on the computers. okie silly dilly dokie o.

here's everything you need to know about the human polls: over a 5 week period between january-february Texas went 4-6 in a ten game stretch, and human polls never dropped us below 14th. that sound like a reliable ranking to you? what am i saying, of course it does. i'm talking to a guy who feels comfortable describing the Tennessee roster and its strengths and weaknesses right before turning around and saying that he doesn't actually know anything about Tennessee's roster. 

and again, i should hope that Shaka's best and most complete roster, full of talented and experienced guards, would be better offensively than Barnes's lesser talented roster featuring teenage guards and zero skilled forwards. you guys can come in here and pick fights and make jabs all day, but if you aren't actually addressing anything based on facts or reality, then what are you doing besides derka'ing the thread? 

ask every college coach and analyst which front court they'd like to have, Texas or Tennessee, and it would be unanimous- Texas by a mile.

Then ask which back court they'd like to have, and my guess is it's at least 65/35 Texas. Tennessee's guys have more potential, but other than Keon Johnson, Texas'a guards are clearly better.

Ask them which roster has more talent and more balance, and again, it's not even a debate, it's 100% Texas. 

you come in here just to say, "Rick Barnes is doing a bad job" and you call me disingenuous, and yet you yourself admit that don't have a clue about the job that Barnes is doing. posting like this is a waste of everyone's time, and frankly  it's pretty pathetic. 

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

"a masterful propaganda piece" he says, one breath after admitting that he actually has no clue what he's talking about. one post after touting the human polls and shitting on the computers. okie silly dilly dokie o.

here's everything you need to know about the human polls: over a 5 week period between january-february Texas went 4-6 in a ten game stretch, and human polls never dropped us below 14th. that sound like a reliable ranking to you? what am i saying, of course it does. i'm talking to a guy who feels comfortable describing the Tennessee roster and its strengths and weaknesses right before turning around and saying that he doesn't actually know anything about Tennessee's roster. 

Reading comprehension, how does it work? I wasn't actually describing Tennessee's roster or it's strength and weaknesses. I used YOUR player descriptions, but just swapped around the traits of "inexperienced/potential lottery pick" and "experienced/lacking talent", to point out how ridiculous your roster assessments were.

And as far as KenPom preseason rankings, it's good for about 50% correct in the top 10. Not very good if you're trying to evaluate a coach's success on that metric. He had Duke as a preseason #3 this year. http://makingthemadness.com/how-predictive-are-kenpoms-preseason-rankings/

Some thoughts from KenPom, himself, on Preseason Rankings:

https://kenpom.com/blog/the-preseason-ap-poll-is-great/

Spoiler

[T]he collection of 70 or so ballots, those biases are cancelled out, leaving a useful signal. The end result is that it provides a better picture of the state of college hoops before the season begins than any single person or algorithm could produce. It’s informed groupthink at its finest.

https://kenpom.com/blog/preseason-ratings-now-with-transfers/

Spoiler

Over the seven seasons I’ve produced preseason ratings, my thinking on the purpose of them has evolved from trying to project end of season ratings to trying to predict how good a team is right now. 

Edited by Hornlover

when Rick Barnes took a bunch of recruits who nobody else wanted and turned them into All Conference players + All America players, not to mention NBA draft picks, and then led said 2* and 3* recruits to a 57-15 record over two years, including winning an SEC title in a year they were picked to finish 13th, as well as leading them to the no.1 ranking in America where they stayed for five weeks the following year, i did not go around to the Shaka thread, or the UT season thread, or any other threads talking about how badass Barnes was doing. if i had, people like MotownHorn would have lost their fucking minds over it.

and yet what does MotownHorn (and several others) do? he constantly goes out of his way to come into this thread just so that he can talk shit about Rick Barnes and pick a fight. it is unbelievable, this cognitive dissonance that's on display from every single person who comes into this thread for the sole purpose of shitting on it. it's unreal how much of this thread (more than half it?) is people doing this crap. y'all can't even let the dedicated Barnes thread exist in peace, keeping all superfluous talk of him out of every other thread. you have to come in here and shit all over it, and then at the end all just go "derka'd!!" and high five each other. it's pathetic.