Rick Barnes thread

Goo Punch

13 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Erase the not between were and sad and it makes sense. He’s sayin g he never went far enough in the tournament so that’s why so few were sad to see him go. 

Ok, I've had a few partners that I sure as fuck wasn't sad to see go by the end.  But I don't waste a second of my time thinking or talking about them years later.  If you were glad to see Rick go, and I was one by the end too, then why give a fuck that Derka still likes to figuratively keep up with the ex on facebook? Derka posting about the Tennessee team six years later is exponentially less pathetic than the ones still bitching about Barnes on this thread.  Do they also still bitch about their 7th grade girlfriend that dumped them for someone else? It's just as topical and meaningful.

The argument that Rick Barnes is an underachiever in March is valid one and both sides have arguments of merit on their sides. The argument that he wasn't the most successful coach in Texas Longhorn Men's Basketball history is not valid, is not supported by the facts, and is only put forth in bad faith. Before Barnes, it was a celebration just to make the Tournament.  16 of 17 years cannot be ignored, no matter the end result. Texas players rarely had more than a sip of coffee in the NBA before Barnes. The league is now littered with alums. We are all giddy with the anticipation of what an actual coach can now do with the program that Barnes built. Yes, even six years of Shaka suck could not erase the brand Barnes built. That's how strong he left the program. Texas is a name in men's college basketball.  That's because of Barnes. I, for one, will always have respect for what he did and no longer have any feelings of animosity towards the man.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Ok, I've had a few partners that I sure as fuck wasn't sad to see go by the end.  But I don't waste a second of my time thinking or talking about them years later.  If you were glad to see Rick go, and I was one by the end too, then why give a fuck that Derka still likes to figuratively keep up with the ex on facebook? Derka posting about the Tennessee team six years later is exponentially less pathetic than the ones still bitching about Barnes on this thread.  Do they also still bitch about their 7th grade girlfriend that dumped them for someone else? It's just as topical and meaningful.

The argument that Rick Barnes is an underachiever in March is valid one and both sides have arguments of merit on their sides. The argument that he wasn't the most successful coach in Texas Longhorn Men's Basketball history is not valid, is not supported by the facts, and is only put forth in bad faith. Before Barnes, it was a celebration just to make the Tournament.  16 of 17 years cannot be ignored, no matter the end result. Texas players rarely had more than a sip of coffee in the NBA before Barnes. The league is now littered with alums. We are all giddy with the anticipation of what an actual coach can now do with the program that Barnes built. Yes, even six years of Shaka suck could not erase the brand Barnes built. That's how strong he left the program. Texas is a name in men's college basketball.  That's because of Barnes. I, for one, will always have respect for what he did and no longer have any feelings of animosity towards the man.

Agree with everything you wrote with one tiny caveat- 

we were past the point where we were celebrating tourney appearances when Barnes came. Pender’s only missed 1 year (his last when he got fired) and we owe him a debt of gratitude for making us a habitual tournament team. Barnes was infinitely better and everything you said is true and accurate. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

If you were glad to see Rick go, and I was one by the end too, then why give a fuck that Derka still likes to figuratively keep up with the ex on facebook?

His posts and continual Barnes updates are the reason why Barnes gets so much hate on this board. That's not a mature reason, but it's the reason.

Charlie Strong is basically forgotten on the football board until MaybeACoordinator makes a post praising him. Then people rip on Strong for 3 days and 10 pages. That's not to say that Strong's success anywhere approaches Barnes's, just to point out that fanbases forget about coaches unless somebody keeps that coach in the conversation. Derka is perfectly capable of discussing Barnes and his Tennessee teams on a Tennessee forum. He chooses to do it here on a Texas forum and therefore should expect negative responses. This isn't a private journaling website, it's a discussion forum. 

Derka is not just keeping up with the ex on Facebook. He is posting updates in a Facebook group about someone who is everyone in the group's ex and about whom everyone else in the group doesn't care anymore. And someone doing that would have to deal with a lot of responses talking shit about the ex just like Derka is here.

None of this is that complicated. Barnes did great things here, then he slipped and deserved to be let go, and now he's somewhere else. That would be the end of it except a Rick Barnes fan posts updates on him. The rest is completely predictable and would happen on any forum in this situation. 

• Hook 'Em 4

26 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

His posts and continual Barnes updates are the reason why Barnes gets so much hate on this board. That's not a mature reason, but it's the reason.

Charlie Strong is basically forgotten on the football board until MaybeACoordinator makes a post praising him. Then people rip on Strong for 3 days and 10 pages. That's not to say that Strong's success anywhere approaches Barnes's, just to point out that fanbases forget about coaches unless somebody keeps that coach in the conversation. Derka is perfectly capable of discussing Barnes and his Tennessee teams on a Tennessee forum. He chooses to do it here on a Texas forum and therefore should expect negative responses. This isn't a private journaling website, it's a discussion forum. 

Derka is not just keeping up with the ex on Facebook. He is posting updates in a Facebook group about someone who is everyone in the group's ex and about whom everyone else in the group doesn't care anymore. And someone doing that would have to deal with a lot of responses talking shit about the ex just like Derka is here.

None of this is that complicated. Barnes did great things here, then he slipped and deserved to be let go, and now he's somewhere else. That would be the end of it except a Rick Barnes fan posts updates on him. The rest is completely predictable and would happen on any forum in this situation. 

the thing is, i wasn't the one who originally started this thread on TOS. someone else started it as a way to keep all Rick Barnes related talk out of every single other thread on the hoops board. seemed like a perfectly reasonable idea at the time, and in theory it should work and make everyone happy. 

the biggest problem comes when the same people who whine about Barnes being mentioned in other threads go out of their way to come in here for no reason other than to thread shit. if Tennessee loses a game by 20, or if they go out in the first round to a 12 seed, or if they lose 4 out of 5 games in February and people want to come in here to talk shit or revel in those things then that's fine. that's what this thread is here for- all things Rick Barnes. no issues there. but when someone goes out of their way to come in here and quote a recruiting update that i posted just to say, "fuck you derka nobody cares keep sucking rick barnes dick", then yeah, that's pretty aggravating, and ironically very derka-ish.

Who knows what really caused the separation, I think Patterson just wanted to make a change. Rick didn’t take all of his staff to Tennessee. Springmann wasn’t asked to join, Todd Wright moved on to the 76ers. Ogden followed but stayed one season before joining Beard at Tech.

Rick’s press conference was all class, nothing but respect for the guy. He was my favorite coach on campus for a very long time. The time had come, recruiting had dipped considerably. I’d like to see him make a run again, this current class will give him that opportunity. Hopefully he doesn’t brow beat that group.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2021 at 7:45 AM, Wulaw Horn said:

Agree with everything you wrote with one tiny caveat- 

we were past the point where we were celebrating tourney appearances when Barnes came. Pender’s only missed 1 year (his last when he got fired) and we owe him a debt of gratitude for making us a habitual tournament team. Barnes was infinitely better and everything you said is true and accurate. 

I agree with both these posts - I still have my BMW T-shirt and Tom Pender's Horns teams got me hooked on Texas bball.  Then Barnes came and built on Pender's success but took it to another level.  The only thing I'd add is that in hindsight we probably would have had better results on the court (in short term at least) keeping Barnes around a few more years.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Rick returns to Austin on January 29th. i'm having a hard time remembering a regular season game- in any sport- that i've looked forward to the way that i'm looking forward to this game. i have been to probably 90% of the really big games at the FEC during my lifetime, and i have seen some unreal games, and been a part of some unreal environments- too many to count. but i truly expect that night to rival any game ever played at the FEC in my 37 years on this earth. my ideal game: both teams are in the top 10, the game is up-and-down and high scoring, Barnes and the Vols have a 10-12 point lead around the U12 TO of the second half, only to see Texas swarm back and win the game 92-91 on an Andrew Jones buzzer beating three. just let that happen and i can die a happy man. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/Article/Tennessee-Vols-Basketball-Rick-Barnes-Jeremy-Pruitt-fires-back-lawsuit-violations-cover-up-settlement-173482595/

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tennessee-football/rick-barnes-fires-back-at-jeremy-pruitt-after-lawyers-threat-to-file-suit/

Things are heating up at the dysfunctional mess known as old rocky top. Meanwhile you have the individual the Fulmer cup is named after for running the most out of control program publicly stating you don't need to cheat to win, that's glorious.

Fulmer, who hired Pruitt in December 2017, later issued a statement through ESPN.

“The days I interviewed each candidate for the head football coaching position at the University of Tennessee, including Jeremy Pruitt, I emphasized that you did not have to cheat to win at the University of Tennessee and that cheating would not be tolerated," Fulmer said. "Jeremy has no one to blame but himself for his firing from UT. He had a great opportunity at a great university, and he simply screwed it up."

Edited by Chad

Barnes was hired largely because of the fact that he hasn't ever been mired in scandal like seemingly every other recent Tennessee basketball HC. I would be very surprised if he decided to start stepping out of bounds/getting caught doing it now.

“I'm really disappointed that Jeremy would throw people's names around,” Barnes said in a statement to ESPN, “that he knows did nothing but support him the entire time he was here and make these unsubstantiated claims. I would invite the NCAA to come in any day of the week and investigate our program. I have too much respect for our players, our school and our administration for somebody to ever think we were not doing things right here and make such ridiculous statements." 

Jeremy Pruitt sounds like a loser. 

to be clear, and this isn't anything new- i'm not saying that Barnes and his staff don't cheat- everyone cheats. everyone. that's just the way of the world in CBB. that said, i guarantee you that the skeletons in the closets of our own staff (Maligi and Howard 👀) are just as bad, if not worse (likely far worse) than those in the closets of the Vols' coaching staff. i'd be very surprised if Barnes and co. had actually done anything worthy of any kind of sanctions.

Rick Barnes not happy about being dragged into this mess.  

https://footballscoop.com/news/jeremy-pruitt-michael-lyons-12-million-tennessee-buyout-lawsuit 

"Tennessee, Jeremy Pruitt locked in $12 million game of chicken"

From article... 

Pruitt is represented by Michael Lyons, a Dallas-based attorney whom astute readers will recall represented David Beaty in his case of Kansas trying to gin up an NCAA investigation to get out of its $3 million buyout. In that case, Lyons ended up getting Beaty $2.55 million and a letter from the NCAA saying not only was his client not guilty on all charges, they didn't even find anything to charge him with. (Worth noting: Former video coordinator Jeff Love got the same letter without hiring a lawyer.)

In this case, Lyons didn't deny Pruitt may have committed and/or overseen NCAA violations, but that Tennessee was aware of violations committed before and around Pruitt and didn't do anything about it.

Among the people whose records Lyons wants preserved are: Phillip Fulmer, Tennessee’s former football coach and later the athletics director who hired Pruitt; former football coach Butch Jones; current football assistant coach Willie Martinez, who also worked for Jones; former football assistant Tommy Thigpen, who is now on staff at North Carolina; former associate AD Carmen Tegano; men’s basketball coach Rick Barnes; Chancellor Donde Plowman; donor Larry Pratt; and AAU basketball coach and former Vols player Bobby Maze.  

Edited by LTtxfan

• 1 month later...

nice bounce back today vs UNC after getting thumped by Nova yesterday. Vols had 28 assists on 38 made shots today. Kennedy Chandler continues to look really good. Vols still have TTU, Memphis, and Texas in their ooc schedule. typical Barnes schedule, the kind that i hope Beard starts putting together in the near future.

• 3 weeks later...

nice bounce back for the Vols after that ugly loss to TTU. yeah, it was only UNC Greensboro, but it was a dominating win and a nice rebound game. the 76-36 final score pretty much says it all, but beyond that the Vols won the TO battle 25-7 and outshot UNCG 64-38 in terms of FGA. with this defense that they have, the Vols will go as far as their shooting can take them. Vescovi and Chandler form a really talented back court that can pile up assists, but with the Vols lacking any consistent outside shooting, they remain vulnerable to getting into these ugly, low scoring fist fights. Still, that defense of theirs should keep them in a game against pretty much anybody.

56961ED6-6667-420C-9292-3AC946D7EB2F.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

the referees sucked and definitely titled the game on Tennessee's favor. made it not as fun to watch. i enjoy watching Chandler probing and creating, and Fulkerson had his best game in probably two years, but Arizona never really had a chance to compete with all of the whistles against them. shit is stupid and annoying.

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Underdog said:

They ran into a buzz saw today, UK won't shoot near that good again this season. 

that's probably true, but this Tennessee team just isn't very good. they've got a typically strong defense (barring today), but they don't have even a single player who consistently brings it on offense. Chandler and Vescovi have their moments, but this is a very offensive challenged team. 

still, UK's shooting today was unreal. scoring 100+ while shooting 68% from the field and 61% from deep is unreal against any opponent, but to do it against one of the best defensive teams in the country was wild to see. 

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

He's turning into persona non grata in Knoxville.  There are a few that have his back; however, this recent slate of games have not helped him at all.

that's hilarious, but on brand for Tennessee fans. I'd love to see Barnes leave there and land at a school whose fan base isn't inexplicably entitled and whiny. he's had enough of that uber the last ~25 years.

• Rage+1 1

both UT hoops programs are basketball programs at football schools that haven't been good at football in a decade (or two), with fans who only show up to their cavernous arenas when the teams are good, and in both cases the fans think they deserve so much more than what Barnes brings them. again, it's hilarious(ly sad). 

well, just look at both UT and Tennessee before and after Rick Barnes was there, and tell me how each one fared. Tennessee has had, what, two coaches in the last century that were as good as Barnes, one of whom was/is a rampant cheater. and then at Texas he's only the greatest/most accomplished coach in program history, by a metric fuckton. any fans of either of those schools who believe they deserve better than Rick Barnes are completely deluded morons who probably wear tailored football jerseys and beat their wives when the cowboys lose. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1