Rick Barnes thread

Goo Punch

I'm so happy for RB, he's the consummate professional that wants the best for his kids. Best nutrition, best off-court workouts, best travel conditions, best coaching. Obviously he went through something in his personal life that made him not be the coach he could be and he got what he earned. In the modern world of high-dollar, what-have-you-done-for-me lately sports it's becoming more apparent coaches need a change of scenery or some time off to regenerate .

• Like 2

On 2/4/2019 at 12:01 PM, Goo Punch said:

I haven't read the article yet, only watched the video,  it man- this video exemplifies what I love about Barnes/cant stand about Shaka- how straightforward and honest and blunt he is, for better or worse. When Rick speaks he tells it like it, and that gives his fans a look inside his program that we simply do not get with Shaka. Tennessee fans can stay abreast of the inner working schedule of the squad because Barnes isn't afraid to tell the public what he tells his team/what happens within his team. He expects his guys to be able to handle it.

Contrast that with Shaka who blathers on about "trusting our process", "treating the game good", "how the basketball god will treat you" and other trite, meaningless, coschspeak BS. Whether he thinks he's protecting his team or he's just that inept, it's so irritating and exasperating to have a coach who just spews bullshit from his mouth every time he talks. Anyway, here's the article and video that I mentioned. 

https://amp.knoxnews.com/amp/2688462002

Why don't you marry Rick Barnes

Nice article featuring Rick Barnes : https://sports.yahoo.com/forde-minutes-8-college-hoops-coaches-turned-around-getting-axe-215642247.html

Barnes won a ton of games at Texas and made the NCAA tournament 16 times in 17 years, but his best coaching days seemed well behind him by the end. His lone Final Four appearance was in 2003, and his last four years with the Longhorns produced a 35-37 Big 12 record and just a single NCAA tourney victory.

Texas since firing Barnes: 64-60 64-61 overall, 29-34 29-35 in the Big 12, two NCAA appearances, zero wins.

• Like 1

A question for those who have watched Tennessee. We noticed in the last several years of Barnes’ tenure at Texas he would always slow the game down dramatically in the last five minutes. That resulted in uneven offensive possessions and a lot of 1:1, and ultimately losing a lot of games that in my opinion they would have won by letting the players loose.

What do the last five minutes of Tennessee games look like?

24 minutes ago, Underdog said:

UK probably won't play as well again this season and the Vols won't play as bad.  Big game with LSU this weekend, should be a good one, be interesting to see how the Vols react after this loss.  

and the officiating will (hopefully) never be that one sided again. 

UK probably won't play as well again this season and the Vols won't play as bad.  Big game with LSU this weekend, should be a good one, be interesting to see how the Vols react after this loss.  

That’s how I am looking at it but I didn’t want to be a douche and discredit Kentucky’s win. Tennessee has been playing mediocre for over a month. Hopefully this was a wake up call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Anybody else catch the start of the game last night where ESPN audio was fucked up and Barnes' mic was being broadcast instead of the proper mix?  He's telling a story about the ref that ejected him up at the end of the Xavier game in 2004.  I was hoping it would keep going but they fixed it fairly quick.

https://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/espn-hot-mic-rick-barnes-teddy-valentine-2004.html

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

Anybody else catch the start of the game last night where ESPN audio was fucked up and Barnes' mic was being broadcast instead of the proper mix?  He's telling a story about the ref that ejected him up at the end of the Xavier game in 2004.  I was hoping it would keep going but they fixed it fairly quick.

https://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/espn-hot-mic-rick-barnes-teddy-valentine-2004.html

For those who haven't read the piece yet, i'll give everybody one guess as to which official it is who "made a mockery" of an NCAA tourney game. I can promise you won't need a second guess. 

That game was a fix and no one will ever be able to convince me otherwise.

As I recall, Xavier had one guy shoot as many free throws as the entire Texas team. Virtually every time he drove and missed, he was awarded foul shots. Meanwhile, our bigs (Klotz, Buckman, and Tucker) got hacked with impunity.

Absolutely loved that 2003-04 Texas team and will never pass up an opportunity to bitch about how the season ended because we got utterly horsefucked.

• Like 1

as I always say I like the guy personally, but his time was done at Texas he was never going to get over the hump

he can clearly coach, but some coaches just never get it done when it matters and even this year it looks like the late season fade is moving in

as said right above until he starts getting teams to the sweet 16 and beyond consistently in the seasons when he has highly ranked teams and great players he will always be a question mark

it is just unfortunate for Texas that Shaka seemingly can't coach in the regular season or post season and has forgotten about defense

32 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

as I always say I like the guy personally, but his time was done at Texas he was never going to get over the hump

he can clearly coach, but some coaches just never get it done when it matters and even this year it looks like the late season fade is moving in["

as said right above until he starts getting teams to the sweet 16 and beyond consistently in the seasons when he has highly ranked teams and great players he will always be a question mark

it is just unfortunate for Texas that Shaka seemingly can't coach in the regular season or post season and has forgotten about defense

I should get a medal for not going full on old school Derka on you people more often. But Im feeling froggy right now, so let's do this! DUDE- WHAT IN THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT YOU WATER HEAD. You speak as if the things you say aren't hilariously misinformed bullshit, perpetuated by every "cbb fan" who catches the highlights on sportscenter and then acts like theyre well informed.I feel like I'm taking crazy pills, when i'm the only one who cites actual facts, stats, and anecdotal evidence to support my arguments and yet *I'm* the one who's crazy!

First off, Tennessee has three losses on the entire season, and all three are away from home against highly ranked teams in games where Tennessee was the underdog. THAT constitutes a late season meltdown? Losing two road conference games against teams that will be between a 1-4 seed in the NCAA is a late season meltdown? Okie silly dilly dokie o. You're an idiot.

Oh, and Rick can't be a good coach until he consistently gets his best teams to the Sweet 16 and beyond? THATS WHAT HE'S DONE HIS WHOLE CAREER you mongoloid! We've already gone over this in this thread. He's 10-3 in the NCAA tournament as a top 3 seed with two Elite 8's and a Final Four. And those were his 1st, 2nd, and 3rd best teams at Texas. His fourth best team (i wouldn't argue if you said they were his third best team) was a few seconds away from another S16 before they were bent over and shown the 50 states by an incompetent official. HOW IS THAT NOT CONSISTENTLY MAKING THE S16 AND FURTHER WITH HIS BEST TEAMS?!?!?!? Even with last year's one point loss to a Final Four team he's STILL consistently gone to the second weekend and beyond with his best teams, and oh btw, that team last year was kicked to finish about 80th in the country coming into the season. What a colossal failure last year was!!!

whew, that felt good. i hope you don't take this post very seriously @ButtFumble, because i'm not seriously intending to go derka on you. I'm just tired of hearing the same false facts repeated over and over like it's the truth and figured that going Derka might get people's attention, or make this post easier to remember. 

The Vols may very well crumble down the stretch. They have not been playing their best ball for quite a while now, and this is the time of year where you get everybody's best shot and most of your opponents have already played against you. They could totally fade down the stretch and finish 3rd in the SEC, but can we please wait for something more substantial than two road losses against really good teams as hard evidence that his team is once again collapsing? And can we get our historical facts straight from now on, and acknowledge that his best teams *all did well in the tournament*, and that it was his post 2009 teams, after he's lost it at Texas, that were famous for late season collapses, and not his best teams which all did just fine in the postseason. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

The thing that would scare me about Tennessee is they've played a somewhat soft schedule. #52 SOS and #142 Non-conference SOS per Kenpom. 

They've really only played 5 for sure tournament caliber teams (Louisville, Kansas, Gonzaga, LSU, and Kentucky). They've gone 2-3 in those games and Gonzaga didn't have Tillie. Gonzaga probably beats Tennessee with Tillie so they're lucky to not be 1-4 against the "locks" in terms of tournament teams. 

Tennessee does have a few more wins against bubble teams like Alabama and Florida. What Tennessee has done well this year is avoid bad losses but the results against the tournament caliber teams seems less than ideal. 

Edited by texasstrong12

12 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

The thing that would scare me about Tennessee is they've played a somewhat soft schedule. #52 SOS and #142 Non-conference SOS per Kenpom. 

They've really only played 5 for sure tournament caliber teams (Louisville, Kansas, Gonzaga, LSU, and Kentucky). They've gone 2-3 in those games and Gonzaga didn't have Tillie. Gonzaga probably beats Tennessee with Tillie so they're lucky to not be 1-4 against the "locks" in terms of tournament teams. 

Tennessee does have a few more wins against bubble teams like Alabama and Florida. What Tennessee has done well this year is avoid bad losses but the results against the tournament caliber teams seems less than ideal. 

Yeah they've strangely had a Gonzaga-like schedule ever since they actually played Gonzaga back on December 9th- simply meaning that like Gonzaga they had a really good schedule for most of their non-con, followed by 5-6 weeks of being huge favorites in every game. I'm not surprised that they've lost these last two, and even I have never gone too far out proclaiming this team to be a great team because they simply haven't been playing anybody until recently, and the cracks in the armor have shown even throughout the win streak. 

As far as the rest of the season goes, for me it comes down to Bone, Bowden, Turner, and Alexander. I feel confident that Schofield and Williams will be their usual consistent selves, but if Tennessee wants to play to their seed this year they will have to rely on their guards to hit shots and play great defense, areas where they haven't always been consistent this year. And then I think the Vols need Kyle Alexander to step up and play to his potential, which can help open up shots for the guards as well as forcing teams to leave Williams/Schofield to try and stop him. 

6 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

simply meaning that like Gonzaga they had a really good schedule for most of their non-con, followed by 5-6 weeks of being huge favorites in every game. 

The SEC ended up being overrated this year. A lot of people (including myself) thought they had a chance to be the best conference in the country but they're probably the 3rd or 4th best conference. 

South Carolina, Alabama, Florida, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt, and Auburn have all underachieved this year. 

I know that was a foul but goddamnit Rick don’t just stand there on the sidelines. He never works the refs. Tennessee was getting pushed around against Kentucky and he should have used that as an opportunity to get thrown out as we weren’t winning that game anyways but he never throws a fit. 

yeah after he mellowed out and brought Rob Lanier back he's been much, much easier on officials. He outright ignores them and acts like they don't even exist during games when his team is getting hosed. i feel your frustration, but i just accept it because Rick learning to chill out was a big part of his reclamation project coming good. 

That said, I honestly don't understand how you can't just love old school Rick. Rick in his prime. Rick when he was still an asshole of a coach but his teams were all undersized, under recruited, under appreciated underdogs who responded quite well to his tough love approach. For me there's nothing better than a coach who is intense, honest, straightforward, and funny. Barnes, Parcells, Rex Ryan, Jose Mourinho, Popovich, Muschamp, (not so much funny but *super* intense and straightforward), etc. Guys who never give you coachspeak and who are hard on their players but who have a sense of humor. 

That was Barnes at his best. Old school Rick was a hardass as a coach and a great storyteller and all around good/funny guy away from the court. His hardass approach was unsustainable at Texas in the long run as he got more and more angry/disenchanted, but I still love ten guy. And again his chilling out is a good thing imo- but I still really really liked and admired the Barnes we saw from his arrival until the Bond/Gibbs/Kabongo/Papapetrou days. That dude was everything i want in a coach.

23 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

I should get a medal for not going full on old school Derka on you people more often. But Im feeling froggy right now, so let's do this! DUDE- WHAT IN THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT YOU WATER HEAD. You speak as if the things you say aren't hilariously misinformed bullshit, perpetuated by every "cbb fan" who catches the highlights on sportscenter and then acts like theyre well informed.I feel like I'm taking crazy pills, when i'm the only one who cites actual facts, stats, and anecdotal evidence to support my arguments and yet *I'm* the one who's crazy!

First off, Tennessee has three losses on the entire season, and all three are away from home against highly ranked teams in games where Tennessee was the underdog. THAT constitutes a late season meltdown? Losing two road conference games against teams that will be between a 1-4 seed in the NCAA is a late season meltdown? Okie silly dilly dokie o. You're an idiot.

Oh, and Rick can't be a good coach until he consistently gets his best teams to the Sweet 16 and beyond? THATS WHAT HE'S DONE HIS WHOLE CAREER you mongoloid! We've already gone over this in this thread. He's 10-3 in the NCAA tournament as a top 3 seed with two Elite 8's and a Final Four. And those were his 1st, 2nd, and 3rd best teams at Texas. His fourth best team (i wouldn't argue if you said they were his third best team) was a few seconds away from another S16 before they were bent over and shown the 50 states by an incompetent official. HOW IS THAT NOT CONSISTENTLY MAKING THE S16 AND FURTHER WITH HIS BEST TEAMS?!?!?!? Even with last year's one point loss to a Final Four team he's STILL consistently gone to the second weekend and beyond with his best teams, and oh btw, that team last year was kicked to finish about 80th in the country coming into the season. What a colossal failure last year was!!!

whew, that felt good. i hope you don't take this post very seriously @ButtFumble, because i'm not seriously intending to go derka on you. I'm just tired of hearing the same false facts repeated over and over like it's the truth and figured that going Derka might get people's attention, or make this post easier to remember. 

The Vols may very well crumble down the stretch. They have not been playing their best ball for quite a while now, and this is the time of year where you get everybody's best shot and most of your opponents have already played against you. They could totally fade down the stretch and finish 3rd in the SEC, but can we please wait for something more substantial than two road losses against really good teams as hard evidence that his team is once again collapsing? And can we get our historical facts straight from now on, and acknowledge that his best teams *all did well in the tournament*, and that it was his post 2009 teams, after he's lost it at Texas, that were famous for late season collapses, and not his best teams which all did just fine in the postseason. 

it's gonna bother me if i don't correct this:

I meant to only use one asterisk and for it to say:

*not including 2011 when we got screwed 

23 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

it's gonna bother me if i don't correct this:

I meant to only use one asterisk and for it to say:

*not including 2011 when we got screwed 

12 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

That said, I honestly don't understand how you can't just love old school Rick. Rick in his prime.

I think most do but aren't far enough out of the shadow of how the program cratered for that to be their dominant emotion towards the guy.

You're talking to (read the post of) someone who is now A-OK with John Mackovic but still pissed at Mack Brown. So, these things take time.

• Like 1

I can't even begin to explain how stupid that foul was. Down 1 with 47 seconds left and only 4 team fouls on your team. Just play defense. Instead, you let 6-7 seconds run off and *then* foul, still needing to foul two more times before its FTs. That was a bone headed play. Oh not to mention that Ole Miss is 11th in the country in FT% and is 14-14 tonight. That was as stupid a play as i've seen Tennessee make all year, and it came at a terrible time. 

Edited by Goo Punch